With a more careful reading of arcane lock, I think we do have a challenge, although not the one I thought originally. However, it is a challenge that can be overcome.

Arcane Lock:You touch a closed door, window, gate, chest, or other entryway, and it becomes locked for the duration. You and the creatures you designate when you cast this spell can open the object normally. You can also set a password that, when spoken within 5 feet of the object, suppresses this spell for 1 minute.

A couple of elements here:

The spell must be cast on a container or entryway. It cannot be cast on a lock.

When the spell is cast, the item becomes locked. If it does not possess the capacity to be locked normally, presumably this is a magical locking force. If it does possess the capacity to be locked normally, I make the assumption (A) that its lock is magically actuated into its locked position and reinforced. Alternately, I can make the assumption (B) that the locking is always by magical force and not by use of a physical lock, even if one is present.

When a command word is spoken, the spell is SUPPRESSED. Note that the text does not say the item becomes unlocked, merely that the magic is suppressed and the object can be opened normally. But either (C) the lock is magically actuated into its open position so that the object can be "opened normally" or (D) no motion occurs.

We have four possible pairs of assumptions: A*C, A*D, B*C, B*D. I find A*C to be the most plausible interpretation, but B*D is also reasonable. A*D is a much narrower interpretation and I'll discard B*C as rather silly.

Under A*C, we have magically generated reciprocating motion. This is the most favorable interpretation and essentially jump-starts the industrial revolution.

Under A*D we have magically generated motion in only one direction. I can work with that by specifying that the lock is a vertically oriented power screw able to freely rotate, that locks the object in its UP position and unlocks it in its DOWN position. When arcane lock activates, the power screw makes an up-stroke. When arcane lock is suppressed, the power screw unscrews itself by the force of gravity. It is then in position to make another up-stroke when the spell reactivates. This is a little awkward to work with but we still have unidirectional motion and eventually the industrial revolution.

Under B*D we have to work much harder, but as you noted we have an object whose resistance to motion increases considerably. Let me think on that for a bit and see what I can come up with.