Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post

I'm not very familiar with these characters but given Eddings' reputation I'm going to bet that there's a lot more to both of them than the fact that they're sneaky smooth talking thieves. I'm betting they wouldn't react the exact same to every possible situation, and that their humor and dialogue reads differently despite being smooth talkers. This wouldn't be the case if Sanderson wrote them.

I'm fully aware that all of this is personal opinion.
Yeah they really arent the same. One is a full grown experienced adult with connections and the other is a street rat child. One is a deadly accomplished fighter, even if totally not a front line type, the other is, once again, a child. He can talk tough but I think he kills all of one person in the series and that was a traumatic event. I was more using it as a comparison that being able to boil down characters to a handful of descriptive terms doesnt make them identical. I dont read sandersons work so im not sure just how identical the characters mentioned really are but I figured it was likely that they touch the same group of generic traits you sometimes see in various works which makes them similar but they can still vary fairly well within those tropes.