Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
Having worked in an outbound center before, typically it's on an auto dialer where there's no control over who gets called next. Especially when the person in question hangs up immediately before there's a chance to go through whatever the procedure is to remove the person called from the list (That said if it happens more than twice in a row the person in the call center is probably not doing something right, even if it's just not using ACW). Though I suspect this would vary a lot based on the company in question. Some outbound centers are little more than quasi-legal scams, while others are pretty strictly regulated.

I will admit to having fun with the scam ones. I won't shout at them or anything, but I've kept an alleged Microsoft Tech Support Agent on the line for a couple of hours playing the role of technical incompetent as he tried to walk me through how to download a load of spyware on my computer.

In either case, I am grateful to be in a role where I only answer phones 3 days a week now, and none of that is outbound. The worst role I had was tech support for AT&T, because people get very touchy when their phones don't work, and don't like it when you can't find a resolution in under 5 minutes. Or the most haunting calls were the ones coming in at 2am from worried parents wanting us to track their suicidal children's phones (for the record: If you are ever in this situation, do not call your phone company, call the police. The front line reps at the phone company can't track your phone for privacy and legal reasons. The police are able to put in requests through the correct channels when it is deemed necessary). Those sorts of experiences are why I never looked into working as a 911 operator.

I worked as a telemarketer once. This one poor woman I called with the autodialer was FROTHING with rage. Turns out somehow she had been called by us SIX TIMES THAT DAY! And yes, had stayed on the line long enough to be taken off the call list. Of course, I also found out this scummy company only pretended to do so. Just one reason among many I barely lasted 2 months there.