View Single Post

Thread: Ultimate Optimizer's Multiclassing Guide

1. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Ultimate Optimizer's Multiclassing Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Lyracian View Post
    First thank you this is a great guide having only recently started playing Fifth Ed I am really enjoying this.

Following on from the recent comments I would have also thought Sorcerer with Wizard dip would be Black not Purple based on the guidelines you put.
    Black: This is decent, but doesn't really make the class better at its core strengths or may be MAD
    Purple: You are forgoing too much in your core class, compared to what you can gain. Possible for some niche builds, but probably best avoided. Likely MAD.
    It's the MADness that makes it purple. Pretty much all the combos that are MAD end up purple. Sparing a 13 int in point buy for a sorcerer really mess up the stats. And there really isn't that much to gain, IMO. It's some low level utility vs high level spells. High level spells take it easily. But since you're not the first to mention it, I'll have to give it a try in game, maybe see what I'm missing...
    Your Rogue/Barbarian and Barbarian/Rogue are both listed with the suggestion of Shield Master. With the new official ruling of Shield Bash after attack does that change your thoughts on this class? I was actually thinking it was a way to make use of the free Medium Armour on a Mountain Dwarf starting as Rogue and then getting Shield proficiency with multi-classing Barbarian.
    Depending on how SM works with your DM, I'd avoid it if it doesn't work before the attack. But since barbarians can recklessly attack, this doesn't really hurt them much. Probably more of a nerf to fighter/rogues. I'd probably start barbarian for the str/con saves and a few more hp, though you lose out on one skill. Eiher way works. Still a strong combo.
    If you were going to put a Trickster/Wizard to Level 20 would you go with AT13/W7 or AT12/W8?
    Neither give any extra spell slots and the 1 extra spell known/prepared sort of balance. That leave the Wizard with an extra ASI versus the Tricksters +1d6 Sneak Attack and, the somewhat weak, "Versatile Trickster". I was thinking the extra boost of Con or Int may be better than the damage?
    I don't typically plan for 20 level builds, but if I were trying to be an effective stealthy caster I'd stop at AT 9. That's the best feature in the subclass and it's divisible by 3. I know the next level is an ASI, but if you're a caster you can already have a 20 by that point and they don't need much more. If I were aiming to be a rogue that just dabbles in spellcasting, I'd just take 2 levels of wizard, and focus on attacking.

A few mistakes I noticed
    Rogue - Last Sentence has a spare "m"
    Despite losing 3d6 SA dice, the math favors 5 levels in another martial class for extra attackm, compared to a single (non-cantrip) attack.

Did you change the Race as these do not seem to be a 27 point buys?
    Rogue/Bard - Half Elf 8, 16, 14, 8, 10, 16
    Rogue/Druid - Wood Elf 8, 16, 14, 10, 16, 8
    Rogue/Fighter - Human 8, 16, 16, 8, 14, 8
    Rogue/Sorcerer - Half Elf 8, 16, 14, 8, 10, 16
    Thanks. Fixed the errors.
    Last edited by PeteNutButter; 2019-02-10 at 08:46 PM.
    Want to Multiclass? I wrote the book on it:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...classing-Guide
    Expect advice on the optimization rules you are breaking: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...r-Optimization
    I am an avid optimizer and love to give fire to the people... So long as they are restrained first so they have disadvantage on their dex saves.
    Feel free to PM me for one on one build advice.