Spoiler: Rosalind
Show
As you attend to the practicalities, Micah takes up the thread of conversation.

“Sister Rosalind's faith and mine differ in some respects,”
he says mildly. “Ours is defined as much by its opposition to demonic forces as by its philosophical and moral teachings. I would not say that violence is always necessarily wrong, or kindness necessarily always virtuous. But in this context, I have to agree that you will not win free of the mess in which you find yourself by fighting.

“Sister Rosalind asks that I explain the difference between Relath and Charis. Both are Lawful gods, believing in the value of order, duty, and honour. They teach the value of the Divine Law, and of adherence to mortal systems of law as approximations of that true Law.

“The difference historically was primarily one of focus. Relath was - and remains - focused on the punishment of the guilty and the destruction of evil. Charis was focused on the defence of the innocent, the establishment of just society, creating the conditions in which Law and Righteousness can thrive.

“That changed with the Fall, of course. Now Charis is the Sentinel protecting all reality from demonkind, and has cast aside all concern with good and evil. She still believes in duty, honour, and the Divine Law. But She interprets that Law without compassion or self-interest.

“And there is the main point of difference between Relath and Charis, from a philosophical perspective. Relath teaches that the Divine Law is inextricably bound up with morality - that, for instance, a teaching that prohibits murder can only be understood within a value system that holds life sacred. For Charis, the Divine Law is a matter of bringing about an ordered society in which civilisation can flourish, regardless of moral concerns. So murder is detrimental to the functioning of the orderly society, and therefore…”

He stops, realising Brok's eyes have glazed over. Chuckling softly, he holds up an apologetic hand.

“I am sorry. The theologian in me sometimes takes over. In a nutshell, then: the gods’ influence is everywhere. You can no more live a life divorced from Them than you could live one free of your own soul. Even if you did manage to ignore them for the rest of your days, the consequences when you die unprotected by faith are dire indeed. So then, the only choice is which god to follow.

“If you choose Charis, there will be a cost. You have aided and abetted a crime - perhaps more than one. The Sentinel will expect you to submit to the authorities and face justice for those crimes.”

A knock on the door, and an acolyte passes through a set of simple clothing. Micah hands it to Brok, who holds it for now without changing, thoughtful.

He looks at Rosalind. “There are other gods, though, right? Any chance there's a god who would just let me carry on as before and still get me off the hook from Maltur? If they could help me out of going to jail, that'd be great too.”

Spoiler: Gunn and Perseus
Show
Both doors prove to be locked, although there appears to be no magic on them.

Keeping your senses alert to events downstairs, you realise that most of the staff have fled the building, including the younger of the two doormen. Those who remain seem uncertain how to act; they are gathered at the bottom of the stairs.

If they overcome their anxiety and pursue you, you may be forced to fight your way out. There is also the possibility some of the missing staff have gone for help. Either way this business is best dealt with expeditiously.