Alright! Thanks for the replies folks!

Quote Originally Posted by togapika
I like the idea. Incarnum always seemed to need more love, and we won't even get into the years of repressed problems of the soulknife.....
Thanks! I agree on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei
Haven't read the actual class yet... but based on your intro (about talking to the books) and the 2nd message....

How about "The Soulborn Blade" for the name? More unique, and... eligant...
Elegant indeed. I shall consider the option!

Quote Originally Posted by Tired N' Drowzy
Looks a little overpowered.

d10 hit dice, Full BaB, two good saves, average skill points, weapon damage improvement, plus the Smite Opposition.
What are you comparing it to in terms of balance? I suppose it is a high-damage dealer, but I thought it was generally agreed upon that direct HP damage isn't the best choice? Let us discuss further!

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo
This is sooooooooo awesome.
On name, I like soul-sword.

4 things:

1. I'd bring the 'meld progression forward 1, so that at first you get 1 meld but no essentia.

2. Making it so that a true neutral character couldn't get into this class would both fit the idea and make it a slight bit more balanced.

3. What melds does it have access to?

Edit: The soulborn list seems very good for this.

4. If you took a few bits from the Incarnum blade, I don't think it would over-power this in the least.
Actually, you could just copy/paste the blademeld chakra bind section.

There's an idea for a PrC.
First off: Thanks bunches! Glad you like it.

I'm guessing, from the suggestions so far, that a name combining "Soul" with something slashy (other than knife) would be best.

Onto the suggestions!

1. Well, I think the soul blade is about the same as a free soul meld... it was designed to be, anyway. I will consider this option, certainly.

2. And also keeps more of the Soulborn in the mix. I like it, and it removes some of the unnecessary stuff I had to throw in. Awesome. I'll have to fix that when I get home, though, I'm "working" right now.

3. Well, it's based partially off of the Soulborn, so I kept that much.

4. I actually considered this. Maybe I'll consider again!