View Single Post

Thread: Break this class

1. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Break this class

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    The at-will casting is abusable because the magister can simply cast a ton of spells outside of combat. Even if it's the same spell over and over, he can tag an army with it. Or at least use 3-4 low spell levels to tag every single party member with a good array of buffs. Or prep a 100 shrunken items, 100 explosive runes, or etc. I'd close this loophole.
    He can only maintain 5 spell effects at a time on level 19 (1 on level 1 - see Sustain Dweomer). This loophole does not exist, other than for instantaneous spells with permanent utility (I can't think of any off-hand; Creations, Runes, etc. all have duration and are thus subjected to this rule).

Anyways, I like this class although I'm not crazy about combining Invocations & Arcane Casting into one base class. The ability to use Invocations to cover the "usual crap" with arcane magic as the "oh ****"-button seems to work out pretty well.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-07-04 at 05:13 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.