Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackg View Post
I'd like to make the class fairly generic, so that characters could enter it via multiple paths. Something like 3/4 BAB, 1/2 Caster progression. Requirements would be similarly generic. The way I'm conceiving it now, it would work best if the character's race was Non-Undead, but it would be great if we could work up a way for undead to benefit. 8 ranks of knowledge (religion) seems appropriate without being prohibitive, maybe "Ability to Cast Divine Spells" (if I go with this, I'd probably leave out level requirements, so that, say, a rogue with a level of cleric could qualify).

[...]

As an alternative to regular caster progression, we could tack on a secondary bonus to each ability. For example, with the spell ability, we could add a "and you gain new spells and an increase to caster level as if you had gained a level in your caster class," or add a sneak attack die when they take the sneak attack one. Abilities could, of course, be taken multiple times.
There's a PrC in Complete Champion (whose name I forget at the moment) that basically has separate advancement tracks based on how you qualify--if you meet sneak attack requirements you advance that, if you meet spellcasting requirements you advance that, etc. You could do something along those lines, and then instead of a "pick 1 of X abilities" setup you could have different tracks, which would help you balance the abilities so you couldn't take all of the best ones.