Quote Originally Posted by Gem Flower View Post
I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but I figured this was the closest thing to what I was looking for...

Spoiler
Show
I just got back from a two week camp. It was a branch of an organization which we are not allowed to date at and signed contracts to that effects, and since it was sleep-away, technically nobody should have found a relationship there, but the staff didn't really enforce the rule as long as there were always six inches between people. Five or six days before camp ended, a guy I kind of knew came up to me and said "Didn't I kill you?" and that's how our friendship started. We were nigh inseparable for two days and went through a lot of teasing from people who said we were going out. I never had any interest in him romantically, but he told me the next day that he had a crush on me. Although I had somewhat guessed it when all my friends were whispering whenever I was around and kept asking him when he was going to tell me, suddenly the rather perverted jokes he always made seemed inappropriate as I now suspected they were not in the spirit of friendship. This still wouldn't have been a huge problem except that he started stalking me. He had to sit beside me at every meal, in every class, and he actually waited outside my cabin until bedtime. I didn't even feel safe around him anymore. He was extremely emotionally fragile, although because that didn't start until I knew him well, I think he just wanted the attention. Looking back, I'm kind of worried that I led him on at the beginning or gave off the wrong impression, even though I think I made it pretty clear that I wasn't interested in him that way. I'm wondering if I did the right thing, and if anyone out there has some advice, I'd really appreciate it.
Short answer: No. You didn't do the worst thing, but you jumped to a ridiculous conclusion. I've been there myself and would rather give advice to the poor guy than you.

Long answer: No. I was once on the other end of a similar situation. The girl in question was my friend, and we were in fact nigh inseparable. I developed an attraction to her, and she somehow found out. She started avoiding me, taking crazy roundabout routes to walk to class and the like. I didn't know she knew about it, and thought she was mad at me for some reason. I kept trying to speak to her, but she slipped away every time. One day I tried to catch her in a public place, and she exploded. She accused me of stalking her and trying to rape her, in a crowded cafeteria in full view of my classmates and teachers. She took out an actual restraining order against me, and for the rest of my life I will be "that creepy rapist guy" to everyone there. She had also borrowed my Firefly DVDs a few days before, and never returned them. That was the beginning to the worst year of my life. It set off many of the other events, most of which I won't discuss of this forum. It's been hard for me to even work up the nerve to tell this one, which I can usually laugh about now.

Heh, the kicker to the story is that she ran into me a month ago at the grocery store, and didn't recognize me. The restraining order was still in effect, but we actually hit it off. I mentioned Firefly and Ender's Game, which I introduced her to, and she said she loved them. I also got her number. I haven't called yet, but I have a plan for when I do. I'll lead her on for several months, borrow her Firefly DVDs, and then break her heart.