Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
I'm sure we've all heard the discussions about how the double-end-lightsaber (a la Darth Maul) is likely more dangerous to the user than it is to the opponent. And I agree.

Then I came across this:
Spoiler
Show

Who in the HECK thought this was a good idea?

First off: As I understand it, a tonfa is a "spinning" type of weapon, pivoting at the hand grips. This in and of itself is fine, but making one end a lightsaber, which cuts though (darn near) EVERYTHING with little/no effort?

Second: There is no type of guard that would prevent an accidental amputation from the spinning necessary to use the weapon.

Third: The Lightonfas pictured have the "heavy" end of the weapon OPPOSITE the blades, and note that the actual "blade" has no weight whatsoever. This means just about any offensive strike you try to make will result in; A: Opponent having to deal with a stubby metal cylinder, and B: The lightsaber coming right around at the wielders torso.

Can we please put a stop to people making stupid lightsaber variants? About the only thing more stupid than Lightonfas I can think of would be Lightchucks (which may actually be SAFER than the tonfa variant)
Okay, this is a bad example to use because the picture you used is completely wrong.
That's Maris Brood, Shaak Ti's one time apprentice before her death who ended up being corrupted by Felucia, as featured in The Force Unleashed. The toy however has her lightsabers entirely wrong.
This is Maris Brood's real lightonfa.
Well, sort of. This is just promotional artwork, in game their model does in fact resemble real tonfa more, with different length ends to the weapon and the blade emanating from the heavy end of the device which she holds with the blades end approximately alongside her elbows.
So in this manner, first off, with a horizontal hand grip she is now capable of pulling off complex spins to her blows which can disorient opponents and throw them off their guard allowing her to slip through with unexpected attacks.
Secondly, as a Jedi gifted with the Force, she needs no such protection. You can note no Lightsaber has a cross-guard attached to the hilt separating the blade from the main device. Jedi are simply so aware thanks to the Force they would never accidentally cut themselves with the weapon.
Thirdly, Lightsaberchucks do sort of exist, wielded by Asajj Ventrass in the downloadable content for Battlefront II on the original XBox. This is largely non-canon as far as I am aware, but in principal it is sound. Two lightsabers attached to one another by a chain is unprecedented and would immediately throw off many Jedi who face such a style. Someone as skilled as Asajj was as well, means she essentially becomes a whirling engine of death. During the Clone Wars many had to adapt to a sudden change in combat as large scale conflict became increasingly common. Styles such as Ataru and Nimian fell out of favour for styles such as Shien or Soresu as battle became the Jedi's life, so something as lethal as Lightsaberchucks was not only expected but necessary to survive, especially as long as Asajj did.