1. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Alignment Replacement] The Color Wheel - Now With More Green!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyooz View Post
    Right, and outside of DnD, my personal philosophy doesn't give me superpowers and hitting someone with a sword doesn't rely on a die roll. Since we're talking about DnD, I don't see how this bears noting.
    It bears noting because this system is intended to replace the normal alignment system and remove good and evil from alignments altogether. As such the standard D&D definitions become null and void when discussing it.

Yes, you could argue that every character is selfish, you're basically arguing that no character is Good. It's totally legit, too. DnD Good is really stupid hard to be effectively. PCs just don't fit in well.
    I wasn't just talking about player characters. This was a statement about helping people in general (and selfish is quite different from not good). There is no choices that can willingly be made that can't be considered selfish. Everyone makes choices in their own best interest. Even placing other's interests above your own is done for selfish reasons, though the ones doing it may not consider it such.

That's just it, though: if such equations exist, then what's the point of the new system? At the same time, you make your own equations, which might be encouraging others to do so. Paladins have to be white, monks can't be red: one of the biggest problems of the standard alignment system are these kinds of mechanical restriction issues. Color arguments would be just as common as alignment arguments, etc.
    There aren't really equations between them. The requirements made just happen to make sense. Paladins tend to believe in some form of order or working for the good of the group, which is white, and if they didn't they'd likely be some other martial group. Monks usually are focused around not being controlled by their emotions while red is about following your emotions with total abandon. Hence the restrictions. They are however much more open than the normal alignment system.

Also, while there are possible connections between this and the old system, they aren't direct connections. Most any alignment could be any colour, there are just some that are more easily seen than others.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-11-15 at 02:00 AM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew