New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Starfall [IC]

1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Starfall [IC]

"Are the underlines on the stone jes' part of the lettering system, or do you sense that certain words are underlined as well?" asks Mardak. "And it's a real pleasure ta' meet ye' Ezekiul Britter." At that, he shows you his hand. If you shake it, he has a strong and firm handshake ... but not nearly so phenomenal as your own.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Ezekiul

Definitly shakes.

"That's a good question," Ezekiul says lifting his LEFT hand to scratch his chin. "You see . . . . . "

ooc - uhhhh, no clue, any sort of check you want ezekiul to roll to figure it out or can he guess from context?
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

3. - Top - End - #243

Quote Originally Posted by DJDeMiko View Post
    ooc - uhhhh, no clue, any sort of check you want ezekiul to roll to figure it out or can he guess from context?
    [OOC: What do you mean ... no clue to what? Where you're from? Sorry, just go with what you know or lie.

Or do you mean that transcription? Sorry again, this one you have to figure out ... it may not be something you can figure out in the near future. Don't let it make your head pop, but keep it in mind for the future and revisit it from time-to-time. This inscription (this is your wisdom speaking) has been here for a millenia or more ... it is doubtful that it speaks of such urgency that you have to figure it out immediately or the world will blow up by tomorrow ... or even next week.

As far as underlines, if you meant that ... it is as plain as the way I wrote it for you.]
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2009-01-16 at 10:31 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Before the hour is up
    "Hmm? Oh, right, sorry. The whole threatening, attempted arrest, and argument about what to do with you distracted us a bit. I am Kael Kione. As for where I'm from I, uh... I don't know. Strange. First thing I remember is feeling rather strange, almost like being drugged, and then finding myself standing with these five, all with similar stories, inside a circle of twelve stone monuments on the tump."

"As for the goblins... After we'd all introduced ourselves to each other, a voice spoke out of thin air, seeming to come from everywhere at once, called us its children, said a few things that don't make much sense, warned that forces are gathering against us, and told us to seek the sword of Starkweather John, which was nearby. A few minutes later, bits of mist turned into a bunch of goblins, one for each of us, and attacked. We beat them with little trouble, but each one just vanished, armor, weapons, and all, when killed. That was all yesterday morning."

After the inscription is read
    "Well that's disappointing. I was hoping to find a clue to the sword's location. Wait a minute, some of that sounds familiar..." Kael pauses, thinks a moment, then suddenly blinks time or two and resumes talking. "...Are we part of some prophecy? That voice back on the tump called us stars and mentioned our "return", like we'd been here before and had been gone a while."

Kael asks to read Mardak's notes to refresh his memory of the wording. "All right, who are 'They', 'Her', and the foe with a dead king's face, and which throne is being conspired against?"
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

5. - Top - End - #245

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Before the hour is up
    "Hmm? Oh, right, sorry. The whole threatening, attempted arrest, and argument about what to do with you distracted us a bit. I am Kael Kione. As for where I'm from I, uh... I don't know. Strange. First thing I remember is feeling rather strange, almost like being drugged, and then finding myself standing with these five, all with similar stories, inside a circle of twelve stone monuments on the tump."
    "Crikey! Says Mardak," groaning slightly and wringing his hand when you're done, "do you even know your own strength? That's bloody odd. I wonder if you're some part of a slaver's plot, per'aps? But then, why wasn't ye guarded?"

Quote Originally Posted by douglas
    "As for the goblins... After we'd all introduced ourselves to each other, a voice spoke out of thin air, seeming to come from everywhere at once, called us its children, said a few things that don't make much sense, warned that forces are gathering against us, and told us to seek the sword of Starkweather John, which was nearby. A few minutes later, bits of mist turned into a bunch of goblins, one for each of us, and attacked. We beat them with little trouble, but each one just vanished, armor, weapons, and all, when killed. That was all yesterday morning."
    "Well, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty knowin' 'bout gobbos, hobbos, and buggos ... and a lot o' others as well. And I'm telling you, they might have looked like goblins, but that doesn't soun' like any kin' o' goblin I ever 'eard of. You might have fought somethin that took a gobbos form ... if you even know for sure that it had a gobbo form in the first place."

After the inscription is read
    "Well that's disappointing. I was hoping to find a clue to the sword's location. Wait a minute, some of that sounds familiar..." Kael pauses, thinks a moment, then suddenly blinks time or two and resumes talking. "...Are we part of some prophecy? That voice back on the tump called us stars and mentioned our "return", like we'd been here before and had been gone a while."
    "Now that's jes' bloody weird. I got nothin' te tell you 'bout that," Mardak says, kind of confused and trying to assimilate this with what you told him a half-hour prior.

Kael asks to read Mardak's notes to refresh his memory of the wording. "All right, who are 'They', 'Her', and the foe with a dead king's face, and which throne is being conspired against?"
    "Well," says Mardak slowly, "I'm 'bout boggled on it all. One thing's for certain ... strange new creatures that pop out on our northern part o' the island and then your story? Tell you what, you boys help me with what I gotta do ... 'cause I can't do it myself and who knows how many people the hobbos will hurt before I can get south for reinforcements. Do that, and I will help you find your sword if'n I can.

"After that, I can't make ye, but come with me south to Saragost. I think I can get me captain to get you to talk to . . . if not the Council ... at least the Captain himself will get more outta' first-hand reports than I could ever provide. As long as you keep that elf and your hum-inal there in check with the local authorities on the way ... I can assure you that as being under my 'protection' I can assure you that you will be repaid for all costs incurred. If the information is good enough, your travel with me might even have an extra reward for 'good faith' but I cannot legally vouch for that, and wouldn't be able to figger' what that might actually mean."

6. - Top - End - #246

Kael

Kael is clearly a bit torn between two things he wants to do right now. "Well, I'm reluctant to interrupt our quest for that sword, and having such a legendary weapon would undoubtedly make hobgoblins easier to deal with. On the other hand, I don't know how long finding old John's sword will take and what a band of hobgoblins might do with that extra time. I take it the battle we spotted signs of involved some hobgoblins you're tracking?"

Kael sighs. "I am uncertain whether pursuing the sword or the hobgoblins first would be a better idea. Either way, we shouldn't waste time. I can't vouch for Jaime - the elf's - behavior, but going to Saragost when we're done here sounds like a good idea. I'm starting to think we need advice from a sage, an expert on the time of Starkweather John, and we're more likely to find one or at least find out about one in a city."

"Anyway, what do you know about this group of hobgoblins? How many of them are in this group, are there more, and who did they fight here? Anything else?"

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I think Ezekiul still has one 1st level spell left besides the domain slot. The only two spells I remember him casting today were CLW and Comprehend Languages, and the CLW turned out to be unnecessary and retconned out when Jaime's attack missed.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

7. - Top - End - #247

RogueGuy

Ezekiul

"By Brith's bushy beard!" Ezekiul says "I know that the underlining must mean something, but I cannot figure it out right now."
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

"Actually there is at least one obvious place we have not yet checked. I would like to examine the ruins of the church in Bronce. Not the priest's house, but the previous church. It seems an auspicious place in which to hide a relic."

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

9. - Top - End - #249

HalflingRangerGuy

I'm Anaximander Shuul, pleased to make your acquaintance.

Annie walks over to offer a handshake.

As far as which way we go, the sword is somewhere in town, and it's buried. If the ruins don't pan out, we can try to figure out what the town looked like 1,000 years ago and guess where the best place to put a protective sword would be, look through whatever *chuckle* records they have in town to see if we can find out if he has or had descendants in town, and we can start digging. Sure, that might lead to a few problems, but I'm sure Kael and Zephram can talk the townsfolk into it. Or maybe we can look into these hobgoblins and buy ourselves a little extra goodwill in town.

After an hour, the shimmering aura around Annie dissapates.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

10. - Top - End - #250

"An-axe-amander?" says Mardak, trying to sound it out. "Sooo... I take it that you were named after a relative what slew a fiery salamander with an axe? A fine weapon, a finer legacy, and a sturdy name, Axe!"

Kael is clearly a bit torn between two things he wants to do right now. "Well, I'm reluctant to interrupt our quest for that sword, and having such a legendary weapon would undoubtedly make hobgoblins easier to deal with. On the other hand, I don't know how long finding old John's sword will take and what a band of hobgoblins might do with that extra time. I take it the battle we spotted signs of involved some hobgoblins you're tracking?" ... AND ...
    "Anyway, what do you know about this group of hobgoblins? How many of them are in this group, are there more, and who did they fight here? Anything else?"
    "Well, up til now I only 'ad me a 'spicion that they was hobbos. There were 'nough signs 'ere and there that made it seem like per'aps a splinter group of ruffians. But after what I seen 'ere today, definitely hobbos. I haven't been trackin' 'em mind you, not yet. I merely came up to this area yestr'day and camped out, and then was goin' to start a sweep 'round Bronce. And I 'eard tell afore comin' north that there's a roving band of hobbos what goes by the name o' the Split Ear tribe. I'm guessin' this is them, though I don't know much else by them.

"From reports from other villages, this was no small warband, but not 'uge either ... bandit-mob size. So I knew I needed some 'elp in case I couldn't get out in time. Part o' the problem at being so good at trackin' em - like I says I'm low to the ground, but not far enough from it to be quick on me feet, either. So I came 'ere first thing this morning to pray to Aranu at the site of a great 'ero whose tomb was part o' me own business - I dunno - to get insp'ration I guess.

"No sooner do I finish me prayer, then the insp'ration struck ... I saw the signs of battle here, but before I had a chance t'investigate you clodders came ramblin' up the road.

"So 'ere we are now. After lookin' at the tracks, I'm goin' to say that some 16 or so creatures 'eaded deeper into the woods, and another 12 or so down the hill towards the mines. Both seem like hobbos, so it looks like one side doesn't much fancy the other, or even that someone in the same tribe didn' like the way things was run." This last he says with a bit of a smile.

"Now, at this point, I woulda' taken this word into Daven Gaskell in Bronce ... 'aven't met 'im but I'm told 'e's a good sort, and used to be a fine basher in 'is youth. I'd report to 'im, and 'e'd report to 'eadman Goodchild, and then they might send a courier out whenever they thought it safe ... IF they ever thought it safe, or wait for some traveling caravan what's willin' to travel through bandit territory to make a coin.

"Yeah," he says without waiting for a response, "I don' see it 'appenin no-'ow anyways. Still, I'd'a then gone and seen if I could get a firm count a full strength ... jes' in case these 'ere hobbos are more of a small skirmish than the 'ole lot. Nah, I'm inclined t'blieve that there's not much more'n 'em or they'd'a been too many and causin' more troubl'n we'd 'eard 'bout. But I gotta' make sure.

"After all that ... I hike me 'appy carcass all the way back t' Saragost and give me report, informin' the nearby villages o' what I know on the way. And after all that's done ... 'ow long do you think - altogether - it'll be 'fore they get a decent force all'a way up 'ere to do something. That, and 'ow many other folks'd suffer for it?

"You boys'd already shown that the, er, majority 'ave some sense of right. I look at Mr. Boss, and I ain' never seen thicker. You, Kael, nearly took me 'and off. Zeke Britter [DM: yup, the first time he's given a nick and surname ... and this is how they develop!] there doesn' look like no book-priest I ever seen, and at least seems like 'e 'as a fine 'ead on them broad shoulders. Axe there has got some magic o' some sort. Even Hu-minal 'as some magic and looks like 'e'd be a good man, or whatever, in a scrape. Course, you got an elf in yer crew, and if ever there was a sort hobbos don' like at all? Well, that would be an elf.

"I think we can do it ... 'cause I sure couldn' ... but looks like with me woodcraft and lore o' them and your Wreckin' Crew we'd do right by ourselves. No more innocents is 'urt by them goons, p'raps we find yer sword while we're 'ere, you boys make good like 'eroes and that in turn makes you good elsewhere's as well, and I succeed at me mission, get to fulfill me pap's last wish, and maybe get promoted to boot!

"What of it, Boss?" Mardak turns and asks Zephram.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2009-01-16 at 12:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251

Spoiler
    Show
    How far is it back to town and, particularly, to the ruins of the old church? How much time would it take to investigate Zephram's idea a bit and come back?

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252

RogueGuy

Ezekiul

"I wish to be on with our quest," he says. "To learn why we are here . . . but my conscience can not let these creatures go. We know they have been attacking towns and they may currently be weakened by their fight. This might be a good chance to protect the people."

"I vote that we help."

13. - Top - End - #253

How far is it back to town and, particularly, to the ruins of the old church?
    10 minutes to town, and another 3-5 minutes - if that - to the church.
    How much time would it take to investigate Zephram's idea a bit and come back?
    Zephram's idea about old church: You don't know, do you? (TM)
    Back to this site: see above.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2009-01-16 at 01:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254

Kael

Quietly, almost to himself, Kael says "Wait, Brith has a beard? It must be bright flaming red, I guess, what with fire, the sun, and all. Makes an odd mental image."

Back to normal conversation: "Zephram has a point about that ruined church. If the sword is actually somewhere in the village itself that seems a likely place to put it. It might be hidden, of course, in which case we'd have to spend some serious time and effort on a thorough search, but if it's protecting the whole village from attack I wouldn't put it past it to either keep would-be wrongful looters away or prevent them from recognizing it even in plain sight."

"Of course we should help put down this threat, but if they've been gone four days already another hour or two to search the ruins shouldn't hurt and might give us a potent weapon to use. I vote we at least do a preliminary search of the old church, then come back and pursue the hobgoblins."

Spoiler
    Show
    The question that got your "trademarked" answer was intended less as a serious question and more as a probably not necessary clarification of why I was asking and that I wanted an answer in terms of time instead of distance.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2009-01-16 at 03:51 PM.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

"It's Zephram, Mardak. Zephram's the name."

Zephram takes the dwarf's thick forearm in a hero's handshake.

"I don't see that we have a choice; we are the best chance this area has, as far as I can see, against a group of monsters that strong, and I'm confident that together we can beat them. Although...do you suppose that you could use your authority to help persuade the townspeople to allow us to examine the ruins of the church unmolested? If that sword were there, we could be back with it inside the hour, and I am sure that the blade of such a hero would be a boon in a battle against hobgoblins. I hear they are usually pretty well-armed, for monsters."

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

16. - Top - End - #256

"Naaah," replies Mardak, "and I won' be tellin' some tall tale that somehow the sword reckons into my investigation. Tellin' a lord to lend me his guardsmen because it could be helpful wouldn't be helpful ... not to mention I'd be ignored and it'd 'urt me career.

"No, I should introduce meself ... and then yourselves ... to Daven Gaskell. I'll let you present your case about searching for the sword in this ol' church ye mention. Considerin' it's historical importance and the fact that it jes' might've been 'elpin' this town from hobbos ... we 'ave to abide by 'is decision legally, and I can' be any part of anyone thinkin' or doin' differently."

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, that suits us, given that we only know that we are to seek the sword, and not necessarily take it away. Perhaps it is merely a clue about where to head next. And in any case, rescuing them from the Hobgoblins could prove helpful in getting them to allow us to take the blade, should we need to."
    Last edited by UserClone; 2009-01-16 at 04:15 PM.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

"Why should we deal with the hobgoblins? The blade is our first priority." He turns to the dwarf. "We don't need you to find the blade, but you need us to fight the goblins. I offer you this: help us find the sword, and we will help you with the goblins. It will do noone good if we all die attempting to slay the beasts. If you deem fighting the goblins to be of immediate importance, then you can go off and die. I daresay you will have a greater chance of success with the blade and our help."
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

19. - Top - End - #259

"I've already offered to 'elp you with the blade, but in the manner which is appropriate. I will not break the law, nor stand for it being broken, for your own personal gain, Elf!" says Mardak, now gone from smiles to seething. "I've every reason to b'lieve that more people are being helped by its hidden presence in Bronce than would be in your damn fool 'ands!"

"Boss, I've tol' you my conditions, and without me trying to smooth the way ... and yours, too ... the town won't be 'appy will you or no with the hobbos. Jes' expecting people to roll over their superstitions is gonna be tough, and there's a right way and a wrong way to do this."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

"Very well. It sounds as though our course of action here is clear. Agreed?"

This last word is very deliberate, and is aimed more at Jaime than at the others.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261

Kael

"Why quibble much about the order, Jaime? Yes, the sword would help but unless hobgoblins are a great deal tougher than the goblins we fought yesterday the seven of us should be able to deal with them anyway if we don't get careless. Meanwhile, it doesn't much matter whether we find the sword today or next week but every day the hobgoblins remain alive is another day they could kill people. You may not care about that, but the rest of us do and your attitude hasn't exactly endeared you to us much. We will make a brief immediate effort to find the sword, but if we don't find it quickly we will attend to the more urgent matter first. You can stay behind and search alone if you really want to, but I don't think you'd accomplish very much."

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262

And so it is that the five of you headed back to town ...

or is that six? or perhaps even seven?

23. - Top - End - #263

I'm pretty sure it's at least 6. The only one I think might not come back to town now is Loath.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264

This post has been deleted for crimes against post-anity. Move along folks, nothing to see here.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2009-01-16 at 09:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Jaime stnads tall, showing little emotion. "What is it to you, these hobgoblins? It is not your obligation to fight them. However, even if that were so, as you obviously believe it to be, they are obviously fighting with each other- while we are looking for the sword, their numbers and supplies will dwindle, allowing us to defeat them more easily. It is of my opinion that there would be a greater risk of lives lost if we confronted them now than later. Judging by their footprints, they are larger than the ones we fought, and they aren't wisps of smoke, but entirely corporeal beings. On top of that, there were six of the goblins we fought- there are twelve in the cave, and 16 in the woods. They will be at an advantage in their home territory, knowing the area better than us. Also, do you not forget that one of us was almost killed by the ones at the tump? We are no more powerful than we were then. On top of that, numbers exponentially increase effectiveness in battle. I doubt they will be so kind as to fight us one at a time. Flanking maneuvers can change the tide of a battle. I forsee confronting them now resulting in at least one death. However, if we return later with the sword, they will be even more weary from fighting, and at least a couple would die. Their supplies would be diminished, and we will have a potent weapon. As for you," he says turning to the dwarf, "We can go to your Gaskell if you would help us in this. Thus, the illegality is diminished."
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

26. - Top - End - #266

[Thank God, due to so many lost posts here before, I always 'copy' before I hit the 'Submit' button. The post was on my clipboard.]

Mardak looks up at Jaime and shakes his head (his own, not Jaime's, though he's tempted) without taking his eyes off of him, "I will never understand you people."

He walks away muttering one word that sums up the entirety of his antipathy perfectly: "Elves."

And so the Heroes (such as they be, and be they five or six plus an NPC) travel into Bronce and ask directions to see Daven Gaskell. You are directed to the Guard House.

This is the only stone building left standing in the town centre. It is a two-story tower with a crennelated battlement and arrow slits, almost like a little keep. It sees very little use these days. The most likely use of its cells is for a drunkard to sleep the night off.

There is a small office inside and a place for two guardsmen to work. You are greeted by an awkward and spotty teenager who appears to rapidly be growing into the strength of manhood. He introduces himself as Morton Gimbert, deputy to Daven Gaskell, who is making his rounds in and around town.

Morton appears to fawn over Mardak, a professional lawman, as if he were some kind of celebrity secret agent. He seems a little creeped out by Axe-Man, and has obviously never dealt with a man of such breeding and culture before, feeling very awkward around him. He warms up a little to Zephram and Kael, but Zephram carries with him an air of superiority, not unlike Axe-Man, that makes him seem too heroic to be approachable; whereas Kael is positively otherworldly. He looks distrustfully at Zeke's holy symbol, and won't even give the elf the time of day.

Mardak, capitalizing on his profession's fame ('cause it certainly isn't due to his lack of personal fame), flatly tells Morton why you have come to see him. First, to announce Mardak's presence and mission in the region; second, to ask if they may search the old church for Starkweather John's sword.

Morton gushes, and says, "and all this time I thought it was out at the Tump! I always suspected the sword wasn't with him ... grave robbers and relic seekers and all. But the legend goes that Starkweather John told the people of Bronce to leave the Tump alone. I thought it was to protect the sword!

"Anyway," he continues, "the old church is owned by the church of Blediwesse, and as such we have no rulings on searches conducted with the express permission of the current guardian, Father Bronson. You would have to ask him, of course, and for recordkeeping purposes, you should draw up papers between you for this task to protect the both of you."
    .................................................. .................................................. ....

So the heroes (all told, unless someone breaks off for something else) go visit Father Bronson. He introduces himself to those that did not meet him yet as Father Tobias Bronson. He has mutton-chop whiskers, a perpetually grave expression, and a basso-profundo voice.

Mardak says, "Well, Boss, you wanna tell the kind father what you're wishin' to do?"

By now, everyone has pretty much figured out that overall, Zephram has the winningest way with people ...

Spoiler
    Show
    [OOC: Read, Diplomacy modifier. Someone else might Aid him - one other, probably Zeke (which makes sense since both of these guys have the religious background) - but if everyone starts pleading their case, it might run counter to your course. Anyone can comment, of course, no one has a gag on ... though bad comments will detract even if you're not trying to Aid.

That said, I want Zephram and Ezekiul to roll Diplomacy checks, preferably Zeke before Zephram but we don't want to slow things down, so ...

Say what you will before they both have rolled. But recognize these rolls are cumulative of your 'entire' effort to encourage Father Bronson to help you. The classic post-failed Diplomacy check babble is just that ... babble.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2009-01-16 at 09:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

((Can I take 10? For better or for worse, if I can, I am, and if not then here goes: Diplomacy - (1d20+4)[22] ))

"Good Father Bronson, we have reason to believe that the sword of Starkweather John may very well reside in the very temple you seek to rebuild. We ask only that we be allowed to search there for the sword, that we might use it to save this village from its marauding evil humanoid bands. I would like to add, on a personal note, that while searching, we will be careful not to harm any statuaries or the like that you might have in the temple, and I, for one, in fact, plan to pray the permission of Blediwesse for entering her sanctuary and to follow up on that promise to help you rebuild."

EDIT: PWEEEZE say I can't take 10!
    Last edited by UserClone; 2009-01-16 at 09:30 PM.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268

Kael

Kael idly wonders just how many conflicting legends about the sword there are in this village. He introduces himself to Father Bronson and then waits patiently wait Zephram and Ezekiul talk with the priest, this conversation almost being a negotation and far too important to risk messing up with his own less skillful efforts. Besides, Zephram and Ezekiul have already met the man and from all indications seemed to have made a positive impression.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269

HalflingRangerGuy

Annie puzzles over his new nickname of Axe-man. Folks might find it odd that he's called Axe-man yet doesn't wield an axe.

<On the walk into town>

Annie steps up beside Jamie and speaks softly, not as though he's relaying private information, but as a matter of habit, as though he's frequently halfway between talking to himself and someone else.

Y'know Jamie, I do see your point, but there is an upside to helping the dwarf with the hobgoblins. Hobgoblins have a habit of plundering, and while they might be a touch more difficult than the average goblin, they're also more likely to have a greater number of valuables.

Annie thinks about what he just said.

You know what, I'm sorry. I assumed personal gain would be enough motivation to have you help out. As near as I can tell, the voice that spoke to us wants us to be the "fighting evil wherever we find it" kind of heroes. We're going to need you to help keep our feet on the ground because a couple of these guys have their heads in the clouds, and I spend far too much time in my own thoughts to pay attention to what they're dragging me into.
    <Back to the present>

Annie walks over to Father Bronce and introduces himself.

Father, I don't know how much you've been told about our background, but finding the sword is part of a larger fight against oppression and evil. We could really use your support.
    Last edited by srgonzo; 2009-01-16 at 10:24 PM.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

30. - Top - End - #270

Kael trying to explain to Jaime before the return to town

"It is my obligation, and that of every decent person with the means to do so, to defend the innocent people those hobgoblins would likely kill. That can best be done by tracking them down where they camp and setting an ambush, not hoping they'll kill each other instead or trying to guess where they'll attack next and defending there. They may have fought each other once, but that is no guarantee they will seek each other out to fight again. If their supplies dwindle, they will likely raid a village to steal more, the very thing we seek to prevent."

"As for numbers... The creatures we fought on the tump attacked us in a concerted group, all at once, with fully as much warning as we had, and didn't even manage to knock one of us out, much less actually kill anyone, while dying to the last man, er, goblin. Even with twice as many somewhat tougher foes we would at the very least kill a substantial number of them, and I believe Mardak thinks we could actually win - and that's in a fair fight. I have no intention of just walking up in plain sight and attacking. If we can take out guards without warning, attack a foraging group separately, etc., the odds improve substantially."

"As for flanking and swarming us if we are forced to fight the whole gang at once," Kael turns to the 'Hu-minal', "Loath, can you do that spell with the plants snaring everything again? Properly placed, that would either split up or greatly handicap a fair number of them. Assuming there are any plants in their camp or we can catch them in a plant filled area."

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show