New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Shinigami Simplified

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Shinigami spellcasting is definitely spontaneous. Use either spell points or Sorcerer casting.
    Sorceror progression it is, but should this affect the BAB max of +15/+10/+5?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorcerer progression? A shinigami who can pew-pew all day?

PS. I really think you should look into psionics, the power point system fits better than spell casting and pretty much all the powers are well represented the SRD psionic powers.
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2009-01-04 at 01:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PinkysBrain View Post
    Sorcerer progression? A shinigami who can pew-pew all day?

PS. I really think you should look into psionics, the power point system fits better than spell casting and pretty much all the powers are well represented the SRD psionic powers.
    This would only apply to the Kido using base Shinigami class. Also, I asked whether Cleric or Sorceror progression would be best. Besides they have a limited spell list.

I figured Cleric progression would make more sense myself, but if you focused on Spellcasting and cut the BAB progression would it still be crazy?

As stated previously I am trying to stay Core (PHB, DMG, MM) just in case someone wants to play this class and the DM says no to the use of other books.
    Last edited by kyoten; 2009-01-04 at 02:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

A shinigami who can pew-pew up to fourth-level spells all day (unless the Kido-user gets higher). If the spell levels go higher, cut the BAB. If not, it should be okay.

... I don't think many DMs who disallow the use of anything outside the DMG, PHB, and MM would allow a homebrew class.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    A shinigami who can pew-pew up to fourth-level spells all day (unless the Kido-user gets higher). If the spell levels go higher, cut the BAB. If not, it should be okay.

... I don't think many DMs who disallow the use of anything outside the DMG, PHB, and MM would allow a homebrew class.
    Two things:

Can you clarify your first statement.

In response to your second statement I have one thing to say, DOH!!

I'll work up both Spell progression and spell points as options for a DM. Give me a few days.

EDIT: Added Version A to Combat Shinigami Post on page 2!
    Last edited by kyoten; 2009-01-05 at 05:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Version B is now posted in the Reserve Post for Combat Shinigami on Page 2!

I have decided to scrap the Spiritual Empathy idea completely.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like how you did the 'spirit pressure'. looks like it works well, though I think you incorporated the first additional ability into the standard ability description.

I would also recommend that you give the combat class access to oh...one or two spells. Something very simple and offensive...aka 'Shot of red fire'.

other than that, sounds great. *goes to find source for Weapons of Legacy*

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd moved shikai and bankai to 5 and 15, depending on the power level of your campaign I guess. That would put Renji, Ikkaku, and Ichigo at least at 18 each. That's a bit too powerful for how they're portrayed I think. Unless that captains are far into epic at least I mean.

Just look at the difference between Ikkaku and Komamura in Knockdown Monsters.
    Last edited by KetsuruiLLauve; 2009-01-07 at 01:23 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kyoten View Post
    Two things:

Can you clarify your first statement.

In response to your second statement I have one thing to say, DOH!!

I'll work up both Spell progression and spell points as options for a DM. Give me a few days.

EDIT: Added Version A to Combat Shinigami Post on page 2!
    Yeah. The Shinigami can cast a lot of spells, but they only go up to fourth level and you don't have any non-core spells. Thusly, it's okay.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KetsuruiLLauve View Post
    I'd moved shikai and bankai to 5 and 15, depending on the power level of your campaign I guess. That would put Renji, Ikkaku, and Ichigo at least at 18 each. That's a bit too powerful for how they're portrayed I think. Unless that captains are far into epic at least I mean.

Just look at the difference between Ikkaku and Komamura in Knockdown Monsters.
    Would moving it to level 7 and 14 be better? Then that would fit with the original intent of the Spirit Weapon class ability.

EDIT: Started post of Kido trained Shinigami.
    Last edited by kyoten; 2009-01-07 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Notation
    My Homebrews

Spoiler
    Show
    What D&D race are you most like?

My Results:

Half - Elf Not quite human and not quite elf you can learn the ways of sword and magic, but are sometimes clouded with human emotions.

Request a Homebrew Requests #169, 170, & 313

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

I suggested 5 using WoL as a basis for it because that's when the weapons start to get their abilities.

You may want to make shikai and bankai based of something a character does instead of their class level, like the legacy feats in WoL. That can make them feel like they accomplished more than just "hey I'm level X, so I've truly bonded with my sword."

You could make it 6 instead of 7, so they could take a shikai related feat, like permanent release or something else if you're going to use feats to be able to enhance them as well.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KetsuruiLLauve View Post
    I suggested 5 using WoL as a basis for it because that's when the weapons start to get their abilities.

You may want to make shikai and bankai based of something a character does instead of their class level, like the legacy feats in WoL. That can make them feel like they accomplished more than just "hey I'm level X, so I've truly bonded with my sword."

You could make it 6 instead of 7, so they could take a shikai related feat, like permanent release or something else if you're going to use feats to be able to enhance them as well.
    I was thinking level based to represent them gaining more experience working with their Zanpaktou, but I do agree with it being more based on personal accomplishment. I'll change Shikai's level.

Also, i'll bump Bankai down to 15th level

Any Zanpaktou feat suggesstions? Besides Permanent Release.
    Last edited by kyoten; 2009-01-08 at 10:32 AM.
    My Homebrews

Spoiler
    Show

My Results:

Half - Elf Not quite human and not quite elf you can learn the ways of sword and magic, but are sometimes clouded with human emotions.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Any suggestions for the non-combatant kido shinigami's progressions? I'm thinking of placing bonus metamagic feats at every X levels. Any suggested levels?
    My Homebrews

Spoiler
    Show

My Results:

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd say every 4 levels...maybe 5.

Are you still giving static enhancement bonuses to the Zanpaktou? If so, you may want to just build a small table that explains the entirety of the weapon...kinda like a animal companion or familiar. Actually, that might be a good way to think of it...design the weapon as an intelligent weapon that gains special abilities as you level (and once you do something cool, you can unlock Shikai and Bankai).

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MageSparrowhawk View Post
    I'd say every 4 levels...maybe 5.

Are you still giving static enhancement bonuses to the Zanpaktou? If so, you may want to just build a small table that explains the entirety of the weapon...kinda like a animal companion or familiar. Actually, that might be a good way to think of it...design the weapon as an intelligent weapon that gains special abilities as you level (and once you do something cool, you can unlock Shikai and Bankai).
    Check out Page 2, Post #51.

Wouldn't that be akin to it being a Legacy Weapon?
    Last edited by kyoten; 2009-01-12 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Detailing
    My Homebrews

Spoiler
    Show

My Results:

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

*blink*blink*
    ...so it would...

right, didn't see that...however...are you giving Kido-specialized Shinigami full BAB? I thought you were going for 3/4 at best?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MageSparrowhawk View Post
    *blink*blink*
    ...so it would...

right, didn't see that...however...are you giving Kido-specialized Shinigami full BAB? I thought you were going for 3/4 at best?
    Are you referring to Version B of the combatant? I figured i'd use the paladin as a basis for that version. The Kido trained in post #52 got the 3/4 BAB and bump in spellcasting capacity.

Opinions?
    My Homebrews

Spoiler
    Show

My Results:

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Flash Step (Su:) This ability can be used a number of times equal to half your Shinigami class level plus your dexterity modifier times per day. This technique functions in two ways. While in combat using Flash Step, an immediate action, allows the user to move up to 20ft. plus 5ft. per 2 shinigami levels per use. Outside of combat Flash Step allows the user to move up to 100ft. plus 25ft. per 2 shinigami levels.

In desperation a Shinigami may attempt to break these limits. Each additional use of Flash Step beyond the usual requires a Fortitude save against a DC of 15 +2 for each additional use. Should a Shinigami fail this save he or she becomes fatigued and unable to continue attempting to surpass the limitation.

If a Shinigami is already fatigued he or she cannot attempt to surpass the Flash Step limitation.

What do you think?

I'm thinking of permitting additional uses beyond the limits but at a cost? Any suggestions (i.e. Dex damage, fatigue,...)?
    Last edited by kyoten; 2009-02-10 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Edited Flash Step DC increase
    My Homebrews

Spoiler
    Show

My Results:

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

-each additional use forces a fort save DC 15, plus 3 for each additional use. if failed, the user becomes fatigued. Once fatigued, no more flash steps may be taken until the Shinigami has rested. If the Shinigami starts out fatigued, no uses of flash step beyond the standard 1/2 level + Dex modifier.

or something like that...not sure how the wording should be exactly, but maybe I got my idea across?