New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread II

:D the CR should PROBABLY be higher... considering it's considered a 50th level caster alongside all it's other abilities...

EDIT: though, I couldn't suggest anything considering I've only ever played 2 games that reached Epic levels.
    Last edited by Sir Shadow; 2009-05-21 at 06:22 PM.
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

50th level caster basically amounts to better caster level checks and higher spellcraft ranks for higher level epic spells. other than that, it doesn't mean a lot. and since both of those attributes are easily augmented, especially at epic levels, i'm still figuring that a party of +/- level 30 characters could take her.

maybe the most powerful aspect about her is that i never gave her a sorcerer spell list, and purposefully mentioned that it changes occasionally...

though i really like the aspects and the triune heart ability.

either way, cr 30 is an estimate on my part. i've never played past level 25-ish in 3.5, so i don't really have a strong grasp of what actually works like it is supposed to, and what doesn't.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

3. - Top - End - #273
    Banned

whew! i finally finished the morrígna. i didn't think i was gonna make it; if it hadn't been for vorpal's troubles, i'd not have.
    Your lucky. Notice that my monster was way up their early on?
    It was going to origionaly be the Morrigan but gods have all sorts of annoying extra rules and she in particular is hard since in some places she is considered to be a triple being rather than one entity.

If im going to do a triple being i would rather make the Moirae or the Norns.
    Last edited by Stormthorn; 2009-05-22 at 10:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    Your lucky. Notice that my monster was way up their early on?
    It was going to origionaly be the Morrigan but gods have all sorts of annoying extra rules and she in particular is hard since in some places she is considered to be a triple being rather than one entity.

If im going to do a triple being i would rather make the Moirae or the Norns.
    yeah, it always takes me at least two weeks even just to figure out what i want to make. i have a few ideas bubbling for future contests, but have to wait until a compatible one pops up. till then, it is weeks worth of back-burner brainstorming.

i just realized i never gave her spell-like abilities. every self-respecting outsider needs a few. she has a few through the aspects, but i might need to look at a handful to augment her spells and maneuvers; utility stuff maybe.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

5. - Top - End - #275
    Banned

You coudl give her Salient Divine Abilities and make her a god.

I suggest: Alter Form, Alter Reality, Automatic Metamagic [Intensified], Divine Spellcasting, Instant Counterspell, Know Secrets, Know Death, Hand of Death, Extra Domain (Death), Spontantious Wizard Spells, Supreme Initiative.

Boom! She always goes before any god and can cast any spell she knows spontaniously. She also doubles and then maximizes any random number dice and can kill mortals by pointing at them.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

I'm really loving the Taco Faerie. I am curious about the Baleful Polymorph into a Taco spell like ability. You said that it only lasts a number of rounds equal to the Taco Faerie's charisma modifier?

What happens if a Taco Faerie sorcerer fights an Ogre... and then uses Baleful Polymorph to turn the Ogre into a Taco. Then eats the Taco because Tacos are delicious. Then the spell wears off turning the Taco back into an ogre. What would happen?

I assume that eating the Taco would count as doing enough damage to destroy it. Would a Taco be considered a fine construct of 1HD with no strength score? I love the idea of turning people into Tacos but not quite sure how it works out with limited duration Baleful Polymorph.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

You coudl give her Salient Divine Abilities and make her a god.

I suggest: Alter Form, Alter Reality, Automatic Metamagic [Intensified], Divine Spellcasting, Instant Counterspell, Know Secrets, Know Death, Hand of Death, Extra Domain (Death), Spontantious Wizard Spells, Supreme Initiative.

Boom! She always goes before any god and can cast any spell she knows spontaniously. She also doubles and then maximizes any random number dice and can kill mortals by pointing at them.
    notice one of the last headings on her stat page; "special." she is already a rank 5 deity using the deities and demigods rules, but i didn't stat those out because not everyone uses the book.

this way, if people have their own methods of creating deities (some of them use templates, etc), they can add them directly to her without having add and subtract other stats.

i thought about giving the divine stats with salient divine abilities and all after the first one, but it was already getting long. so i left both the divine stats and the aos si subtype stats off all together. i will include those in the separate thread that i create for her when the contest is done.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

In goes my entry The Weeping Children fluff wise I adore them although I should consider making the fluff read a bit better. Crunch wise I'm not so sure how they are.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Banned

What do you all think about stealing pictures from google of Photobucket or DeviantArt for use in your entries?

10. - Top - End - #280
    Banned

What do you all think about stealing pictures from google of Photobucket or DeviantArt for use in your entries?
    That's where I get most of mine so I say go for it, but to be fair mention who drew it and link to their deviantspace.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Google, maybe. With DA there's not really any excuse not to ask permission first, seeing as you can tell and contact whoever made it.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

12. - Top - End - #282

:P unless you just don't really feel like it. I'm not using for "profit" i'm using it for reference so I don't really see an issue with it, and I always give the artist credit.

13. - Top - End - #283

Meh, pictures are nice, but I don't like to use them. Honestly I think the homebrew work should stand for itself. Pictures are nice, but I certainly hope they aren't a requirement. (To whoever told me I needed one). I personally don't consider pictures when choosing who to vote for, I just grade the quality of the homebrew.

As for ripping them from wherever, I think its probably fine, as long as you credit the author.

Also, quite a few entries, some great homebrewing this month.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shadow View Post
    :P unless you just don't really feel like it. I'm not using for "profit" i'm using it for reference so I don't really see an issue with it, and I always give the artist credit.
    True, but it's still polite to ask rather than just take, non?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogman View Post
    Meh, pictures are nice, but I don't like to use them. Honestly I think the homebrew work should stand for itself. Pictures are nice, but I certainly hope they aren't a requirement.
    But they really are useful for giving the readers an idea of what the creature looks like << I know that I personally am very upset when wizard puts out a book and some of the monsters don't have pictures... I like to know what I'm describing to my players.
    I personally don't consider pictures when choosing who to vote for, I just grade the quality of the homebrew.
    and you shouldn't, really the pic is less important than fluff, it's just something nice to give the GM an idea of what the creature looks like.
    Also, quite a few entries, some great homebrewing this month.
    There is HUGE amount this month. It's really surprising considering the past two months
    Last edited by Sir Shadow; 2009-05-26 at 04:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shadow View Post
    There is HUGE amount this month. It's really surprising considering the past two months
    Not that surprising, really. Last month's theme was kinda abstract; couple that in with the fact that many homebrewers are dealing with various final exams and such, and....well...that's not a good mix for a stirring up a bunch of entries. This month's theme, however, is fey. Just fey; pretty easy to think up something that fits that category.

Speaking of which, what in the Abyss is wrong with you people? 2 votes and 2 honorable mentions to an entry composed of fairies that turn things into tacos? You people are sick, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Hey the taco fairy's were awesome. I may swipe them for my silly campaign.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

18. - Top - End - #288
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    Not that surprising, really. Last month's theme was kinda abstract
    Gamers and riddlers and cheats... wait, isn't that what Complete Scoundrel, an entire source book, is about?

I actually don't post a contest until I've thought up at least half a dozen creature concepts myself that'd fit the theme.

The school deal makes sense though. With summer coming dunno if we'll have more or less, lots of folks on these boards only get on during like computer class or some such.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2009-05-31 at 01:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Banned

Winner been announced and new contest up

20. - Top - End - #290
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmmm...interesting.

Now, here's the question. Do I make a normal monster, or a Whimsycap Toadstool-like creature?

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if I hadn't already created it (for previous one of these contests no less), I could have entered my Free Spirit.

Hmmm... I have an idea... I just have to make sure it is not too close to the free spirit.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-06-01 at 09:12 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Gamers and riddlers and cheats... wait, isn't that what Complete Scoundrel, an entire source book, is about?
    ....Oh....I was thinking puppeteer-esque battfield control...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    Last month's theme was kinda abstract to people named Lappy9000.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

...I entered...first post other than his Tribbleness...

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Dude, I'm totally doing this one. Expect absurd shennanigans.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

The wander-wish only works if people don't know TOO much about it... Death Ward breaks it, unless you specify that the terms of the contest don't allow it. The fact that you can find it again really easily for a rematch make things even worse.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

...it is a DC 35 knowledge (local) check to know about the wish. And Knowledge skills can't be used untrained for anything with a DC over 10. Also, who puts ranks in Knowledge (Local)?

Btw, I will add that the Game of Dire Chance does not allow any magic other than that of the contest itself, and that you can win a maximum of one wish. Thanks for the criticism.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

That works.

For anyone who is interested, here is a sneak-peek at my entry:
    Spoiler
    Show

Favored of the Traveler God
    Medium Outsider (Native)
    HD 10d8+50 (95)
    Speed Fly 30 ft. (Perfect) (6 squares), Swim 30 ft, Burrow 5 ft
    Init: +1
    AC 21; touch 21; flat-footed 20
    (+5 Deflection, +1 Dexterity, +5 Insight)
    BAB +X; Grp -
    Attack Quarterstaff +11 melee (1d6+1 and Immobilization, Critical: 20 / 2d6+2 and Paralyzation)
    Full-Attack Quarterstaff +11/+6 melee (1d6+1 and Immobilization, Critical: 20 / 2d6+2 and Paralyzation)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks Immobilizing Touch
    Special Qualities Amphibious, At Home On the Road, Expense account, Souvenir Collector, Something New Every Day, Never a Dull Day, Scent?, Darkvision 120', Freedom of Movement, Superior Low-light Vision, mirror-face, Protection of the Traveler God
    Saves Fort +12 Ref +8 Will +12
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 21, Wis 21, Cha 21
    Skills Knowledge (Geography) +21, Knowledge (The Planes) +21, Speak Language, All Knowledge Skills, Decipher Script
    Feats Endurance, Alertness, Skill Focus (Knowledge[Geography]), Skill Focus(Knowledge[The Planes])
    Environment
    Organization Solitary
    Challenge Rating 5?
    Treasure Standard (Practical Goods Only, no coins, gems, or art)
    Alignment Any
    Advancement 11+ HD (Medium)
    Level Adjustment +2?

Amphibious(Ex):

At Home On the Road (Su): A favored of the traveler god always counts as native to whatever plane they are on at that moment.

Expense Account (Sp); (1 GP/HD per day, can acrue to 10 GP/HD maximum)

Mirror Face (Su): A favored of the traveler god always looks like a medium-sized version of the observer if the observer is of INT 3 or higher, or the type of intelligent creature a creature with -, 1, or 2 , is most familiar with. It has no true form, in fact, True Seeing reveals such a bewildering array of forms that it grants the favored of the traveler god a 20% miss chance against any creature employing it. For mechanical purposes, treat the favored of the traveler god as having a medium-sized humanoid form.

Souvenir Collector (Ex): A favored of the traveler god counts as one size larger for calculating loads, and is not slowed by a medium or heavy load. Armor slows them as usual.

Never a Dull Day(Su): The strange and interesting is attracted to a Favored of the Traveler God. Or they to it... it is hard to tell. In any case, fate brings them new things. When rolling for random encounters with a Favored of the Traveler God around, roll twice and take the more exotic one. The GM may also have this produce other effects, causing rare and wondrous works of are or bizarre magic items to come up for auction where the Favored of the Traveler God could attend the proceedings (but not necessarily ever hope to bid on the item), events of great historical significance to occur (battles, signs in the Heavens, mystical alignments of the planes). Basically this is a blank check for the GM to make Plot happen.

Protection of the Traveler God (Ex): A favored of the traveler god gains a deflection bonus to its AC equal to its charisma bonus. If they are without armor or shield (including purely magical versions of such, such as Bracers of Armor or a Ring of Force Shield) also gains an insight bonus to AC equal to its wisdom bonus.

A reward, somewhat akin to the way the gods of death grant Lichdom, this strips away the species/racial memories of a creature, granting them fresh perspective without preconceived notions.

Give Reduce Person (self only) with unlimited duration that takes it down to the size of the mean sentient creature within 1 mile?

Endure Elements as a permanent effect?
    Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

Permanent endure elements is a good idea. Looks good otherwise.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you very much.
    Incidentally: The shrinking is so they can go on tours of mouse-folk cities or whatever...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-06-03 at 09:52 PM.
    Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #300

EvilClericGuy

Have any of you heard of the vanishing hitchhiker? I was thinking of doing something like that but it would be a template. Are those allowed ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!