New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Default Welcome to the Apocalypse

Prologue

As with many great saga's, this one starts in a tavern, a public house, an inn, or more commonly; 'the pub'. Your local in fact. For a while now, it's been closed for refurbishment under new management. It only reopened last week under the new name of "The Brass Rings", it's shingle ('sign' to those of less educated background...) is a fancy construction of 3 interlocking brass hoops hanging conspicuously above the front door.

As it's been advertising an open mic night all week, you decided to bite and see if it might relieve the tedium of your dreary existence. Anything's got to be better than just plodding along, finding what work you can in between reading about nothing happening in the papers, right? For some reason, the past few weeks have been somewhat subdued; no-one wants to talk, there seems to be less people out on the streets and even the various skirmishes and conflicts going on around the world seem to be on hiatus. It's as if a world-wide malaise has hit the human race and no one can be bothered to do anything about it, least of all you.

So you find yourself in the Brass Rings, some woman on the small stage screeching a folk song that you barely recognise whilst what you assume is her brother mauls a guitar next to her. On the stage is an assortment of crappy looking amps, mic stands and even a small drum kit set up. The barman, a short, stocky, bald man with large sideburns, looks familiar for some reason, but you can't place why because you could swear you've never met him before. He's not very talkative, but he pulls a decent pint and clearly knows his job well. The main bar is not crowded by any means and no-one looks as if they're having a good time.

A guy who's clearly a biker, by the leathers, chains and Metallica t-shirt, is hustling pool with a couple of toughs in denim with mullets (they clearly think it's still the 80's...some people never let go). Despite the fact that, through intimidation and no small amount of skill, he's winning the biker does not look as if he's having a good time, most likely because of the horrendous music that's been played all night. A tatty looking electric guitar stands propped against his chair, on which is his helmet and heavy leather jacket.

In the corner, where the light is low, his face shadowed by the trilby he wears, a man sits still wearing his trenchcoat despite the fact that it's still dripping wet from the rain you can still hear pittering against the window. He appears to be happy just to watch the bar, or more accurately the people in the bar with a look on his face that just screams "internal monologue".

Sitting at the bar, half a bottle of tequila in one hand, guitar case at his feet is a burly man who's clearly of hispanic descent...the rather large sombrero kind of gives away that he just might be mexican. By the empty bottle next to the one he's holding, he looks like he's been there a while and by the look in his eye he looks like he might be there a while yet. He has one eye on the stage, clearly waiting for the appaling act that's on to finish, the other eye is on his bottle, making sure that the amber liquid goes nowhere but down his throat.

Across the bar from the mexican is a man; washed out clothes, despair written across his face as he sucks at a beer, glowering at the clientele with a look that only the truly down and out can acheive. A tatty notebook lies forgotten on the bar next to him, a ball-point pen jammed in the binding. The way he looks at his beer is somewhat similar to the way a hobo looks at a pizza box that's actually got a whole slice left in it...the best thing that's happened to him in far too long.

Perhaps the most noticable person in the room is a rather well dressed man who's clearly enjoying himsef immensly, though it's unclear as to why. His maroon suit shimmers in the light and his smile is more of a smirk as it alights on the other patrons. He sips at an exotically coloured cocktail with a chile pepper in it, occasionally pulling a tin of snuff from his inside pocket and taking a hit. Though he sits with one arm around a stunningly beautiful woman, she does not appear to be the source of his enjoyment; in fact, he does not appear to be paying much attention to her at all and nor she to him. The group he's sitting with aren't enjoying themselves nearly as much (though they seem to be having the best time anyone's having in here), but for some reason, they fade in to the background in comparison to the man in the maroon suit such that you can't quite distinguish anything about them except the occasional brash laugh or flash of colour and money as one gets up to get another round of drinks.

A small group of girls, obviously dressed up for a night out on the town, sits by the jukebox, but they look nervous and bored. Clearly expecting more from the night than they're getting, a few empty glasses sit on their table and they're clearly wondering whether to buy another round or brave the weather and move on to somewhere more exciting. One of them occasionally takes an appreciative glance at some of the more attractive male patrons, but there's not really any effort in it as if she's wondering whether it would be worth the effort to try flirting with anyone.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The pub suddenly goes quiet and a smattering of applause goes around the bar as people realise that the folk act has finished. The woman and her brother step down from the stage and go to the bar as the compere comes out from the kitchens and steps up to the mic.

"Well, how about that ladies and gents? Lets have another round of applause for, er, Sarah and George."

He clearly thinks they don't deserve it by the monotony in his voice, but he's got to go throught the motions. Another smattering of claps comes from the table of girls, but otherwise the bar is silent. You half expect some tumbleweed to blow across the stage.

"So, who's up next? Don't be shy"

He pauses ther for a few seconds, sighs and goes back to the kitchen. The only sound in the bar is the sound of weather outside and a low murmur from the group surrounding the man in maroon.
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2009-03-11 at 04:46 PM.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Welcome to the Apocalypse

With a soft thump Manuel's boots hit the barfloor. He looks around the bar, tipping his sombrero somewhat to allow him to see more, and more importantly, to be seen. Manuel grins as he spots the hurdle of girls in the corner. He also ventures a glance at the woman who seems to be boring herself to death in the maroonsuited man's arms. He gives her a sly wink and then picks up his guitarcase and walks over to the stage, tequila still in hand. Manuel quite purposefully passes by the girl's table and briefly stops.
    "Hello, seņorita" he says to the one closest to him, and clearly the most attractive one of the bunch.
    "Did you enjoy that?" he asks, indicating the Sarah and George with a nod of the head.
    "Or do you think this place needs some livening up?"

Having said this Manuel downs what is left of the tequila, which is quite a bit actually. He puts down the bottle on their table softly and says "This is for you, seņorita", and then continues on to the stage, where he starts playing a quite lively serenade.

((OOC: Quite obviously the song is for the girl, not the empty bottle of booze, that was simply to establish his place at the table.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm doing a check, in case it's necessary:
    Womanising Mariachi: (4d6)[11]
    ))
    Last edited by MrEdwardNigma; 2009-01-17 at 07:51 AM.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

The girl seems taken quite by surprise by Manuels' forward nature and merely sits stunned, mouth slghtly agape as he begins his serenade. The rest of the girls giggle and whisper amongst themsleves, ending with what is obviously a question to the girl Manuel approached, but she seems oblivious to her friends, a slight smile on her face at the attention given to her by this masculine hunk of mexican.

After being jabbed in the ribs by her friends, she seems to come out of her reverie and turns back to them, answering their question in low tones. As the serenade goes on, however, she keeps looking back over her shoulder at Manuel, not really paying attention to her friends, clearly impressed by his playing.
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2009-01-17 at 08:02 AM.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The bum at the bar gives the mexican a look as if he'd be trying to crush him with his mind as he mounts the stage, but seems to look genuinely surprised when it turns out that, against all universal laws of propability, someone with musical talent turns up on an open mic night. He actually seems to lighten up a little, which he obviously hasn't done in quite a while. He picks up the notebook, pops out the pen and scribbles a little, while thoughtfullly draining his stout in steady swigs.

Mariarchi, goes on the first line, and after a while of deliberation the next words come in fluid succession. Mistaken for gunslinger by crime lord, fights for survival. A new stout, and ballantines, since it seemed to be the cheapest. He's hitting the hooch like it was going out of fashion. Rocket launcher guitar case.

He stops writing, re-reads the notes, frowns, and adds a final note before returning to his usual, vegetative state. Completely retarded. Would not go over even in Hollywood.
    "Urggzob is ten doctors!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

The man in the trilby smiles and nods to no one in particular as Manuel begins to play. From his pocket, he produces a pipe, a notebook, and a pen. A few bubbles float out of the pipe as he begins to write.

My city screams. She is my mother. She is my lover. He stares blankly at the page for a few moments, then crosses out that line. Found Ms. Higgenson's cat. And Ms. Todd's cat. Is the only value of a detective finding flustered felines? Clinic doing slightly better, but few customers take me seriously. Always joking if I've busted any mob bosses lately. But that's the thing. No mob bosses here. No supervillains. Just lost cats and jeering patients.

Surely, in a world such as this, there's no place for a doctor-detective.
    He glances around the room. A few more bubbles float out.

Wrong. Something is going to happen here. Tonight. I can feel it. And don't call me Shirley.

Dr. Detective

He puts away the notebook and pipe, and watches Manuel play.

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Smiling at the ladies, Manuel continues playing. He also glances over casually at the bored woman who was with the man in the maroon suit. It would be good if the girls got slightly jealous. He knew how to play this game, because he played it every night. Taverns in Mexico, America or Britain, they were all the same, and the women even more so. All beautiful unique snowflakes, and they all fell for the same tricks. Manuel turned his attention back to the girl and slowed down. His music turned from what had been a quite fast-paced, happy serenade to a slow, passionate lovesong. he sang to accompany his guitar. His voice sounded nothing like the deep bass it was when he was talking earlier, nothing like what you'd expect from such a big, buff man, but sensual.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Ronnie ((the guy with the notepad)) seems to feel the effects of the booze he's drunk a little more than he would normally have expected. He sways a little on his bar stool as the barman serves him another stout. As he looks at his notepad, the lines blur slightly in his vision but then the feeling passes and he once again feels like he ought to; slightly depressed and not drunk enough by far. Something doesn't quite seem right, though he can't quite put his finger on it.

As Dr. Detective puts away his notebook, his feeling that something's not right intensifies. Puzzled as he looks around the bar, he can't shake the feeling that something definitively weird is happening or is going to happen. It's like a pressure in his head that won't go away and it consumes his thoughts for a moment. The click-clack of the pool table interrupts his reverie, bringing him back into focus, the pressure gone but the weird feeling on wrongness lingers.

As Manuel plays, the woman with the maroon suited man starts paying him some attention, much to the dissapointment of the girl he dedicated his song to. Playing 'the game' is clearly working as expected because one of the girls at her table gets up and orders more drinks. As she sits back down with the round, a distinct jolt runs up Manuels' playing arm, causing him to hit a bum note...something he's not done since he can remember. The note goes largely unnoticed except by Manuel himself, but after the mistake, something seems different about the place. The woman with the maroon suited man has clearly taken an interest at the mexican on the stage, a smoldering look on her face as she sips at the expensive looking cocktail she holds. She whispers something to the maroon suit and he looks up at Manuel, raises his eyebrow and smirks. He winks once at Manuel and raises his glass before returning to whatever converstaion he was having before he was interrupted.

((O.k. a note on play, re: making a cliche test. I will only call for a specific check rarely, so if you wish to use a particular cliche, go right ahead and roll it, along with the requisite "use description" and I'll incorporate the result into my next post. For example, Manuel rolled his Womanising Mariachi, scoring 11, which was enough to play a decent tune and get the attention of the girl he was playing to. The same goes for if you want to counteract something I've written...e.g. if I say you're feeling drunk and you wish to contest it, roll a relevant cliche in you next post. If you roll/describe it sufficiently well, then I'll make the relevant correction in my next post after that (to continue the example, if you succeed the test to counteract feeling drunk, in my next post I'll just add something to the effect of "it was just a brief feeling of wooziness before you feel ok again"). Oh and anything I write in double brackets like this is OOC, just an FYI.))

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Manuel finished up his song and took a brief bow. He then went to the girls' table and slid onto the bench they were sitting on. He stretched out his arm and put it around the girl's shoulder. The sudden strange atmosphere was bothering him somewhat, but he'd found that nothing helped him get over a spot of bother like that like a hot girl's love. Well, that and liquor. He signalled to the bartender.
    "Tequila for me and the ladies!"

9. - Top - End - #9

With the reassuring sounds of the pool table restoring his focus, Dr. Detective decides to get down to business. He pulls out his notebook again, narrows his eyes, and pulls down the brim of his hat. He casts his gaze around the room, taking in everything, trying to write down every detail, no matter how insignificant.

Hispanic man playing guitar. Sombrero indicates Mexican, could be deliberately misleading. Playing excellent, one bum note. Signal? Burly. Drinking tequila. Playing up Mexican identity? Hiding something?

Other man with notebook. Clothes and book in bad condition. Homeless? Wrote very short note. Writer? Reporter? Under cover?

Biker playing pool. Tough guy. Also has guitar. Nothing unusual.

Group of people. Man in maroon suit, has arm around woman. Seem apathetic towards each other. Looks wealthy. Woman appears interested in Mexican. Man winked. Curious.

Group of young women. Mexican man seemed interested in one. Previously looked bored, now ordering more drinks. Is the man working for the bar, keeping patrons interested?

Mexican man now drinking with women. Will continue observations.

He keeps watching, hoping to catch something particularly out of the ordinary.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0]
    Last edited by Vespe Ratavo; 2009-01-17 at 01:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Boop. Roll messed up. Let's try that one more time.

Doctor - (4d6)[11]

11. - Top - End - #11

ARRRGH. I am stupid. That is supposed to say "Detective." Sorry for the triple post. Won't happen again. >.<

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

As Manuel steps down from the stage, he receives a round of applause, most notably from the girls and the woman sitting with the man in maroon. A few moments later, the compere comes out from the kitchen and heads for the stage. As he's about to step up, he stops, his gaze on the man in maroon, then suddenly he turns and heads for the jukebox. He pulls a few coins from his pocket and slots them in, tapping out a selection of tunes. Clearly the open mic is now closed. The bartender places a bottle of tequila, 6 shot glasses, a cut lemon and a salt shaker on a tray and takes it over to Manuel and the girls. Before heading back to the bar, he whispers to Manuel;

"You've got a tab now, I expect it to be paid before you leave"

As the country and western tones of The Charlie Daniels Band fill the bar, the mood seems to improve somewhat from the general boredom that pervaded before. The girls, with the patronage and attention of Manuel, start looking like they might be enjoying themselves. Manuel is clearly soaking up the adoration of his senorita and enjoying every minute. The group with the man in maroon are talking in less subdued tones and the laughs seem less forced and more natural. Even the toughs at the pool table seem to have perked up a bit, though that might just be the booze they've been drinking finally hitting them.

As Dr. Detective studies the bar, his attention focused mainly on the large mexican and his new found harem, his eyes are drawn to the bar tender as he brings the bottle of tequila over. Though he can't quite place what, he's sure that there's something different about him. Pondering what it could be, he starts thinking about the only other member of staff, the compere. He suddenly realises that it was somewhat odd for him to have not declared open mic finished and further that, after looking at the man in maroon, his actions were somewhat wooden as if he was slightly dazed or he was thinking about something else.

After a round of tequila, the girls introduce themselves to Manuel as Claire, Chantelle, Fi, Laura (Manuels' senorita) and Getty. They are a typical group of early 20's girls out on the lash, looking for a bit of fun. They're chatty and flirty with Manuel and don't seem a bit put off by him being so forward, though more than one of them has her hand firmly fixed to her handbag.

13. - Top - End - #13

Compere didn't declare open mic night finished. Actions seemed wooden after seeing man in maroon suit. Thinking about something else? Familiar with? Positive relationship wouldn't have caused daze. Negative? Obligation to Maroon?

Suspicious, to be sure, but the good Doctor doesn't have any real substantial proof of anything unusual. Yet.

He stands up and walks over to the bar. I'd like a dry martini. Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet, and a large thin slice of lemon peel. Shaken, not stirred. Incidentally, do you know who that man in the maroon suit is?

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if I need it, but...
    Detective - (4d6)[14] (to see if the bartender will tell him)
    Film Buff - (2d6)[5] (in case the bartender happens to be a James Bond fan )

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

They called him the Jackal. Not these cardboard cutout, dime-a-dozen barflies, but the real people. The road people. Dissatisfied with the game, he lays the pool stick down and collects his meager winnings. The night picked up a bit when that mariachi, of all things, made a scene to impress some small town party girl. But the country/western thing wasn't going down with the Jackal at all. Open mic night seemed to be closed for the evening. With a slight feeling of regret, he looked at his beautiful guitar. Beaten as it was, he still got play from it. He takes another look around and cracks his knuckles, wondering if he should start a fight.
    All glory to Vrythas in regards to my snazzy AD&D Game Master avatar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reserve AD&D Game Master avatar by wxdruid

Oh star fall down on me
    Let me make a wish upon you
    Hold on, let me think
    Think of what I'm wishing for

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Manuel pulled the girl a little closer to his muscular chest. They'd been talking and joking for quite a while now. His charm was working, and he expected no less. This was what little talent God had given him, and Madre Dios, he was going to use it. He leant over and whispered something in the girl's ear, making her giggle. They'd just finish the tequila, and then he'd take her up to his room. He'd pay the bartender the next morning, or perhaps while exiting the bar on the way up. He'd been here more often, the bartender would trust him enough. he knew Manuel would come by for a coffee in the morning, usually with a girl on his arm.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

The barman simply gives Dr. Detective a withering look at the Bond reference, but dutifully mixes the martini to order. Serving the drink he says plainly:

"Mr. Natas? Yeah, I know 'im. A lot of people know 'im, if not personally, if you know what I mean."

With a slight smirk on his face he goes back to polishing glasses. The folk singer and her brother decide to call it a night, put on their coats and head out the door.

The 80's boys look sullen and mutter to each other in the corner, clearly a little disgruntled at having lost to this stranger. They take a few more swigs of beer and seeing Jackal crack his knuckles, start to look as if they might kick off before he does.

A couple of the girls with Manuel are starting to look a bit worse for wear after the tequila shots and the group start making 'perhaps it's time we got going' motions, though nothing definite. Laura seems reluctant to leave Manuel as she's clearly enjoying his company, but her friends wanting to leave has put her on edge slightly. She shuffles away from Manuel a bit and excuses herself to go to the bathroom.

The man in maroon looks up at them as the 80's boys finish their beers and with a smile on his face gives a simple nod to them before returning to his drink. The boys look slightly bewildered, shrug and one of them picks up a pool cue and they both circle round to opposite sides of Jackal as the man in maroon leans over and whispers something to the woman he's with. She frowns slightly at whatever it was he said, stands and puts on her jacket. As she does, the rest of the group gets up with her, finishing off drinks and generally making ready to leave. The man in maroon just sits there watching Jackal, a curious look on his face and takes another hit of snuff.

The track on the jukebox comes to and end and a strange silence descends over the bar for a few moments. The woman and group that was with the man in maroon pauses slightly, a couple of them giving wary looks to the bartender, before making a somewhat hasty retreat.

The next track that comes on blares out in jarring contrast to the mellow C&W that had been playing; Iron Maidens The Number of the Beast roars from the speakers as the 80's boy that picked up the cue swings it at Jackals back and the other moves in in an amateur fighting stance.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Manuel looked at the jukebox dissaprovingly. He could enjoy Iron Maiden sometimes, when hanging out in the rowdier biker bars or while driving, but right now it was a real moodkiller. The girl in his arm had left and Manuel was feeling uneasy. Something about the atmosphere was quite wrong but he couldn't put his finger on it and his glass was disturbly devoid of alcohol. To top things on there was a barfight starting up, and nothing ended a night at the pub like a barfight. He could see the looks on the girls' faces, they'd clear out as soon as their friend got back. He'd have to do something to turn things around.

Manuel got up, shot the lady with the man in the maroon suit a questioning look, as if saying "leaving so soon?", and then turned to the jukebox.
    "Happy music... happy music" he mumbled as he idly cycled through the songs on the jukebox. A pool que snapped somewhere behind him and there were some thuds.
    "Ah, here we go..."
    Manuel pushed a button on the jukebox and Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash started playing as The Number of the Beast ended. Not exactly what he'd been looking for, but suitable enough, and certainly less off-putting than Iron Maiden. Ignoring the fight entirely Manuel walked up to the bathroom as the girl walked back into the tavern and grabbed her by the waist. He smiled.
    "Wanna dance, seņorita?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Another check, in case it's necessary:
    Womanising Mariachi: (4d6)[12]

19. - Top - End - #19

OldWizardGuy

Somewhere in the middly of his fourth pint and twentieth bad idea of the night, Ronnie's Drunkard Senses start tingling. There's a distinct, uncomfortable change to the readily murky atmosphere, the kind he remembers most from five seconds to go-time. He looks the bar-room over, and spots the mulleteers surrounding the biker.

Jesus Christ. The McGyver sisters versus the runaway Village People. You can't get away from chavs anywhere these days.

After that, he spends a moment idling over the sobering thought of whether he himself actually counts as a chav. One look in the mirror behind the bar confirms he's not wearing fake burberry, though, but the irritation doesn't quite completely subside. Ronnie's starting to feel mean. He looks over at the three would-be-combatants, and comments loudly enough for the three of them to hear.

"Oi, nancy, would ya put that stick down? I know ya take bigger all the time, but this one's bound to hurt ya the most!"

((Rolling Raconteur (2) to Taunt - (2d6)[10]))

20. - Top - End - #20

Dr. Detective sips his martini while writing. "A lot of people know him, but not personally." Mr. Natas signaled men in mullets to surround biker. Brawl imminent. I believe I shall take my exercise.

He finishes his drink, pays for it, puts his journal away, and walks over to the mullet-men and Jackal. Didn't your mother ever tell you fighting was wrong? He punches his open palm with his other fist. Someone could get hurt.
    Last edited by Vespe Ratavo; 2009-01-18 at 12:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Seeing the discreet nod from the well-dressed, pompous man, Jackal notices the thugs start to circle around him. Slowly, a smile spreads on his face. He gives a slight nod of thanks to the man, and turns to face one of the mullet-squad. The man picks up a pool cue just as Iron Maiden kicks in, and he swings it with vigor. The Jackal moves to block, and the brawl commences.

Biker (4) - (4d6)[11]

Spoiler
    Show

Oh star fall down on me
    Hold on, let me think

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

The brawl was getting load, and too many people seemed to be joining in. Manuel looked the girl in the eyes.
    "Maybe we had best leave? This is no place for a seņorita"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

((I'm dubbing the 80's boys 'Pool Cue' and 'Punk' for the sake of ease, even if 'Pool Cue' somehow loses his weapon...I'm sure you can guess which is which!))

Punk turns, midswing, to Dr. Detective and follows the punch through in an attempt to connect with the be-trenchcoated man trying to interrupt him.

Spoiler
    Show

Pool Cue: Barfly - (3d6)[14]

Punk: Barfly - (3d6)[12]

Jackal goes for an overhead block, but at the last second, Pool Cue brings his swing down into a side-swipe at Jackals ribs, snapping his weapon across his opponents torso ((You're at -1 Biker until you've rested up Jackal)). Throwing the stump of the cue to one side he backs up a bit as Jackal recovers. A fierce look on his face, he turns and points at Ronnie;

"You're next, if you're man enough to stick around. No-one calls me a nancy and gets away with it"

he growls before turning his attention back to Jackal, waiting for his next move.

((I'm gonna need a combat roll from Dr.Detective (I'll leave results for you to describe vs. Punks roll above...assuming you know Risus' combat system?) as well as another Biker roll from Jackal if you want to keep brawling))

As the sharp retort of the pool cue snapping across a mans body rings out across the bar, the girls panic, obviously not wanting to get involved in any way. They quickly gather up their things and head towards the door. Laura, entrapped by Manuels manly grasp and smouldering gaze, looks uncertainly between her friends leaving, Manuel and the brawl going on the other side of the bar. At Manuels' question, she looks at him and nods, grabbing her purse and coat.

As the two of you turn and head for the door the man in maroon is suddenly blocking the exit as the last of the other girls disappear from sight. You're sure he wasn't near the door before and you certainly didn't hear anyone moving behind you. He smiles and takes a sip of his drink.

"I'm afraid I can't be letting you leave just yet. Excuse the, uh, commotion but I have a proposition for you. Shall we?"

His voice is smooth as silk and you feel compelled to listen to every word. He holds his hand out to Laura, who untangles herself from Manuel and takes it as if in a trance. The man in maroon leads her to his table, sits her and himself down and gestures to the barman who, apparantly oblivious to the brawl, begins mixing two cocktails. As the barman brings over the drinks, as well as a bottle of tequila, the man in maroon beckons to Manuel.

"Come, sit. We have much to discuss"

His suit shimmers in the light, entrancing, his voice irresistable to refuse. The noise of the brawl fades into insignificance as Manuel finds himself proceeding towards the table, guitar case limp in his hand, a glazed look in his eye.

((apologies for a bit of a time-warp going on, The Number of the Beast is still playing (it has, after all, only just come on) but Ring of Fire should be up after a couple more rounds of combat/conversation...can't be helped with the nature of PbP I guess))
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2009-01-19 at 08:46 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

This wasn't normal, Manuel thought. He'd been on his way out to his motel room with a beautiful girl on his arm, and nothing had ever stopped him from doing that as far as he could recall, and certainly not some pompous suit. Did he have his paws on Laura? Manuel could feel his Latino blood boiling.
    "I am sorry, hombre, but we were just on our way out. It's been a long night, see? But if you've got some offer, you tell me in the morning. Eight o'clock, eh? I go here every morning before work"

He extended his hand to Laura.
    "C'mon, muchacha, I'll show you a good time"

25. - Top - End - #25

Like any good hard-boiled (or possibly deviled) detective, Dr. Detective is no stranger to love bare-knuckled brawling. He moves to dodge Punk's punch and returns the favor with a strong upper-cut.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detective - (4d6)[14]

26. - Top - End - #26

Punk's punch goes sailing harmlessly through the air, as the good Doctor applies pressure to the man's mandible.

(Punk loses -1 Barfly.)
    ((Am I doin' it rite?))

27. - Top - End - #27

OldWizardGuy

((Changing speech colour to avoid confusion with Manuel. In case the punk tries to jump me, the GM may feel free to roll on my stead to keep the game moving fast.))

The punk's promise seems to have the exact opposite of the intended effect on Ronnie. He straightens his back, leans an elbow against the bar and turns halfway towards the brawlers, after which he promptly proceeds to add even more gasoline to the fire, in hopes of making a lasting impression.

"You think you can, nancy? You look like a pair of bollocks short of a pikey to me. I'd figure you for an uphill gardener, actually. Thing is, I'm also thinking you ought to have kept that stick intact 'cause yer likely goin' ta need one ta walk fer the rest of yer life!"

There's a half-triumphant half-loony, coffee-yellowed grin on his face, denoting the fact that mentally he's looking firmly downwards at his opponent even from his seated position.

((Rolling Raconteur (2) to taunt - (2d6)[3]))

28. - Top - End - #28

I know I said I wouldn't be doing another triple post...I'm sorry, so sorry. I need to plan my posts better.

But anyway, my next combat roll -

Dr. Detective follows up his argument with five good points. To the face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detective - (4d6)[19]

29. - Top - End - #29

The Jackal smiles as he touches the bruise on his ribs. He lunges forward with a tight snapping arc, bringing his fist around at the tough.

Biker (3) - (3d6)[12]

Spoiler
    Show

Oh star fall down on me
    Hold on, let me think

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

((Gah! Sorry about the delay but I lost my job last Friday and I've been trying to sort out my life these past couple of days...doesn't leave a lot of time for recreation @Vespe: Yup, spot on.))

Punk: Barfly - (2d6)[7]

Pool Cue: Barfly - (3d6)[14]

Punk recoils from Dr.Detectives' uppercut, putting him off guard and off balance for the crushing blow to the face that follows. With a sickening crunch, blood spurts from his, now obviously broken, nose and he reels backwards, stumbling over a chair. He barely stays upright and pauses to wipe blood from his face with his sleeve. With a quick shake of his head to clear the daze, he lurches towards the doctor and clumsily throws a punch. Though it lacks style, the rage driving it makes it a blow you wouldn't want to connect.

Punk: [roll=Barfly]1d6[/roll]

Pool Cue barely dodges Jackals' swing, jerking his head back just in time. Before Jackal can recover his equilibrium, the mullet-ed man ducks low and delivers two swift jabs to Jackals already bruised ribs. Though not particularly strong blows, they hurt all the more for being precisely placed in an already injured location ((that's another -1 Biker)). Ignoring the taunts directed at him from the other side of the bar and thinking that he's got the upper hand, Pool Cue decides to go for something flashy and leaps into the air for an impressive aerial roundhouse kick.

Pool Cue: [roll=Barfly]3d6[/roll]

((@Vespe + Levyathyn: Results down to you guys for this round!))

The smile on the man in maroons' face becomes a smirk.

"I'm afraid I insist Manuel. I have an...interest...in your particular, hmm, how can I put this? Talents? You really should sit down."

One minute Manuel was standing, taking offence at the smug ponce. The next thing he knew, he found himself sitting opposite that same man, a glass of tequila in hand, not entirely sure how he got from one to the other. The strangest thing though is that the rage that had pricked his thoughts only moments before was simply gone, replaced momentarily by quiescent compliance. Laura has a glazed look in her eye as she looks around the bar with complete antipathy, clearly not interested in anything going on; odd given the brawl occurring not fifteen feet from where she sits. It strikes you that she's acting in a very similar manner to the woman that the man in maroon was sitting with earlier.

"Now Manuel, please allow me to introduce myself. I'm a man of wealth and taste, as you can see. I've been around for a long, long time, though you may not have seen me around. Pleased to meet you...Again"

The man in maroon reaches into his inside pocket and pulls out a snuff box, takes a pinch for himself and offers it to Manuel.
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2009-01-21 at 12:12 PM.