New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Adventuring of the Oceans (IC)

Maxxon the Red

"Yes Sir!" he finds himself saying. Maxxon wanders over to the bunks and finds one open to put his small belongings onto. He will walk out and watch all the movement for a few until he finally asks the captain what he needs to do.
    Member/founder of Psycho Squad Gaming Club
    Altering reality on a regular basis since 1980, ya i'm old

Thanks to Assassin 89 for the Ventrue avatar!

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Taking a cue from maxxon, Raiyin placs his belonging, including his shoes, in a compartment, tightening the string on his pants, placing his spear across his back, and checking his gutting-knife. "Awaiting orders, sir!
    Fox
    25 years of tabletops and cheetos
    Avid Roleplayer/Loquacious Dungeonmaster

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jackson

Jackson checks his equipment quickly, making sure all is in order, and smiles back at Halcyone, before noting Raiyin. "Umm... I was only a deckhand once..." He mumbles out, before following the other twos lead and claiming a bunk to keep his belongings. He comes back to salute, and says, "Sorry, sir! I am not experienced, sir!"

4. - Top - End - #34

DruidGuy

The captain cracks a smile again; "It's all right lads and lass, I'll man the rudder 'till we're out of port and well away, tomorrow Vincents will take over so I can plot our course. Untill then, he can help you lot put up the canvas, and rigging it just right for a southerly course along the coast."

He then pulls a map from his vest "Speaking of which, this is our destination. Won it a few days back, former owner seemed very sorry to part with it".

skill check for captain, rolls for weather, navigation and random encounters for the first day. Don't need skill checks from the crew yet...
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge(geography), for navigating (1d20+10)[12]
    check for weather condition (1d100)[16]
    check for duration of weather condition (1d6)[1]
    check for wind strength (1d100)[4]
    check for wind direction (1d100)[22]
    The first day of travel gives you about 7 hours;
    rolling random encounters for the first day; (7d100)[9][47][25][13][100][36][98](328)

[/spoiler]
    Captain of the high seas..

DM of "Adventuring the Oceans"
    DM of "Is there a cleric in the house?"

Martin DenBerg in "The forgotten forge(3.5)"

Taste of my real life occupation;

Spoiler
    Show

Map of Oceanium; Updated 26-01-09

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35

DruidGuy

Your first day(for most of you) is quite easy. A light ocean breeze comes from the north, and though it starts to drizzle not long after you left, the air is warm. And it promises to be an easy trip.

As the day passes all the characters learn their place in the sails or on deck.

As the night falls, the captain gives the command to drop anker, stow away the sails, clean deck, and join him for dinner.

Dinner is simple, just your average trail ration. During this dinner the captain pulls out his map, spreads it on deck, points at a big red cross and starts;

"This is were we're heading crew" he points at some dwarvish runes near the bottom "The dwarf I won this from, was on his way to recover a sunken ironclad, full of gold. All ment for a certain dwarven expedition. According to those runes, the ship sank in some heavy weather"

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Looking hard at the map, (see rolls) Raiyin speaks up.

"Why would a recoupment mission barter their map of their objective? What game of chance was worth the fortune, and likely occupation, of these dwarves?"

Spoiler
    Show

Autohypnosis:
    DC: 10 Memorize a simple map/image
    (d20+6)[19]

Diplomacy to hide doubt:
    (d20)[10]
    Fox

7. - Top - End - #37

DruidGuy

The captain looks at Rayin;

"Let's just say, the dwarf was desperate, we were playing high stakes.. And after my stories about the south side of this continent in summer, he didn't feel much for this mission"

He looks around the group appraisingly; "Hope you lads have got sealegs... Otherwise you'll have them before we reach port again"

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Looking a bit more concerned "Please, do tell us of your adventures of the 'south side of this continent in summer', if it was enough to spook a dwarf, it is likely something we all should prepare for, if you may sir"
    Fox

9. - Top - End - #39

Maxxon the Red

Maxxon stands mostly out of the way trying to observe what he can help with. A lot of the time he is seen munching on something that is available. At some point, most likley right after bunk time he will be on the deck for a couple of hours meditating and practicing his martial arts. For a sort of big guy he is amazingly limber and his strikes are strong.

At the captains comment he looks over at the seas and then his legs. "Hard to hold balance at times but I will get sealegs"

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

"Ahh, don't you worry about what a dwarf fears on the water, their place is on land, preferably with a mountain around them, they don't understand the water. The Hound must be twice as quick in the water and thrice as nimble as one of their ironclads, we'll weather a fair bit better than they would. Though I wouldn't mind hearing about those adventures either cap'n, you have an idea of what we're running into?"

11. - Top - End - #41

DruidGuy

Laughing it off; "Let's just say, I made it seem worse than it is. Hundreds of terrifying monster, monster storms, sudden vortexes... All bull, or most of it, let's say the weather can get a bit spooky, there have been some goblin pirates... And well, vortexes, you can just steer clear of 'm"

Proudly patting the deck "Nothing this fine lady cannot handle"
    Last edited by Cymru; 2009-01-23 at 08:05 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

"Goblin pirates?" Halcyone's face lights up and she puts her elbows on the table, resting her chin on the palms of her hands with her fingers curled in on themselves. "What else will we be seeing?" She sounds more like a little girl asking for a story from grand-dad then a soldier asking for specifics about something they might actually end up fighting.
    Last edited by Ezeze; 2009-01-23 at 10:39 PM.
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

Avatar by Serpentine. Ezeze-doll by Recaiden.

13. - Top - End - #43

Jackson

"Believe me, Goblin Pirates are no laughing matter. My old ship was ransacked by the lot of them." Jackson said, shaking his head in regret. "Fast little things, but I was only a deckhand then." The energetic youth said, and smiled patting his bow.

"Please, Cap'n, sir, tell us more about your adventures! How far is it? Have you been there before?" His eyes lit up even more, "How shinny is it?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Raiyin sits back and watches his crewmates. Glancing at each...

Jackson, a boy, nieve, but more travelled than he comes off

Halcy...something or another... Much like jackson, she is nieve, but unlike him, she appears to be oblivious to the world outside this island, but again how much can I say for my own knowledge except what I have read?

Vincent, is it all an act? Loud, confident, if he is everything he says he is, then we have two captains aboard this ship, which could be good, or very bad....

Our mysterious other crewmate, why would he or she not show up to dinner, or help with the duties? For all the work each of us have put in, it would be a shame for a sloth to get a fair share. Maybe he will get "lost at sea"..one never knows what "accidents" can happen out here.

Maxxon, not the sharpest arrow in the quiver, but by far the strongest. His body is in top form, watching him practice...

Raiyin's thoughts wander, and a smile creeps across his face, listening to the men and woman that would be his family for the next few weeks.
    Fox

15. - Top - End - #45

Vincent smiles to himself as the stories unfold from the captain, He does love his lady, that's good, a captain needs faith in his crew and his ship, and it looks like he's been through enough with her for that confidence to be well founded, he's going to be the lynch pin over the next few weeks, I think we're okay there.

The Jackson lad, he's seen more than I thought, goblin's are a bit stupid, but if they can get to boarding they're nothing to be laughed at, if he can still smile about it I'd guess he did well that day.

Halcyone, that's the name she gave wasn't it, now you I think there are layers to, you were all set to bully the captain into taking you along if he said no, that means you're confident, and that's a good thing as long as there's something to back it up. Would be interested to see that magic you have though...

Now Maxxon, he doesn't look the sort to be put off by goblins, those moves he was pulling on the deck earlier were rather impressive, never seen that style of fighting before, I'd be suprised if he hasn't found his sea legs in a day or two at the latest, he walks lightly for one so big.

Raiyin I can't quite put my finger on, I think I'm going to have to watch him over the next few days before I can get a proper opinion. Could do with some heavy weather really, just enough to shock them into working as a team, find out who knows there stuff so we can make sure they're ready for anything big that comes along.

"So where is it everyone's from? Me I grew up in a little village a few miles inland from Rach. Left home when I got my majority and went to see the great blue, been making my way on this berth or that ever since. Best decision I ever made"
    Smiling to himself at happy memories he looks over to Raiyin, "How about you, you sound like you have a story or two behind you?"
    Last edited by Gmonkey; 2009-01-24 at 08:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Nodding to Vincent, and putting down his meal, he clears his throat.

"As long as I can remember I have been in Rach. Sorry to let you down, but I am as boring as they come, a simple fisherman looking to see the world. By the by, everyone here enjoy fish for breakfast? I assume it is the best way I can contribute in the morning, but I wanted to ask first" looking carefully at Halcyone's hands then face.

"Now you sir, owe me a story of a sailor, mermaid, and whale if I remember correctly". His face intently stares at Vincent, waiting for the story.

Spoiler
    Show

He is getting very nervous, rolling Will, DC 10, if I fail expect a quick edit and likely one hell of a conversation piece....
    (d20+4)[23]

Rolled, passed by a longshot, i almost am sad by that LOL
    Last edited by ixious; 2009-01-24 at 08:51 AM.
    Fox

17. - Top - End - #47

Letting out a laugh, "I may have forgotten the punchline to that one. But how about this one. Two sailors are adrift in a lifeboat after their ship was boarded by pirates, they're low on food and water and there's no land in sight. All of a sudden a mermaid breaches the water in front of them and calls out that she'd been watching the battle and was amazed by their skills, so she's decided to give them any one wish.

One of the sailors calls out without thinkingg, "Make the entire ocean into rum!". The mermaid smiles, slaps the water with her tail and disappears under the surface as from horizon to horizon the water turns into rum. The other sailor just looks shocked, smacks the first sailor on the back of the head and goes, "You pill...

Stalling at looking at Halcyone,

"Ahem, "You idiot! Now we have to pee in the boat""
    Last edited by Gmonkey; 2009-01-24 at 09:24 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Raiyin gives a hearty laugh, relaxing slightly. "Yes, I have heard rumor of dwarven stouts and strong drink, possibly we may find some aboard this sunken ship. Of course gold and silver is paramount, but it would be nice to taste something better than brackish Ale while we count it all" His laugh continues, as if letting go of a heavy burden.
    Fox

19. - Top - End - #49

"Some good stout would go down rather nicely, completely forgot to pick up a small cask while i was on land, one of the few things I miss on a long journey"
    Last edited by Gmonkey; 2009-01-24 at 10:55 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Maxxon the Red

Maxxon sits back listening to the stories and paying attention to the joke Vincent tells. He lets out a snorting laugh bobbing his head. He raises a piece of fish into the air at salute for the humor. After Raiyin is dine speaking he will stand to get everyone attention. " I come from the Red Bell Monastery in Achuak, I have lived there all my life....well so far.... I haven't traveled on a boat at all but I will find out where you all need my help i'm sure."

During his pause he glances over at Vincent's mention of spirits and gives a hearty "Ho!!" in reply.

He looks more loose around everyone as he gets to know them but does not go out of the way to start conversation.

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

lifting up his pant-leg you see a 8 inch long metal flask tied with 2 ropes to his calf. Untying it the callouses on his ankle from the ropes are almost as obvious as those on the bottoms of his feet. Throwing the flask to Vincent,

"It's rum, barely, but it does the job."
    Fox

22. - Top - End - #52

Catching the flask in one hand, he chuckles at Raiyin's ingenuity, "Barely rum is better than definately water! To tail winds and gentle seas!" Vincent takes a quick draft from the flask, just enough for a proper taste. He shakes the flask while looking at Raiyin and nods towards Maxxon, "Share and share alike? And remind me I owe you a drink when we next hit port"
    Last edited by Gmonkey; 2009-01-24 at 12:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Halycone bursts into a fit of giggles at Vincent's joke, and again when Raiyin presents his flask. "I don't think the good Captian would let us die of thirst, though I don't think he'd be much for any of you getting drunk off your feet either." She smiles and takes a bite of fish to punctuate her sentence. "As for me - I come from here and there, my parents came from here and there, and in fact most of my family from as far back as I can remember has come from the same." She shoots a sideways grin at Raiyin, because it's hard to not notice a guy who runs around shirtless covered in tattoos and piercings. "Like to keep near the water, though, if not on it."
    Last edited by Ezeze; 2009-01-24 at 12:18 PM.
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

24. - Top - End - #54

With a wink towards Halcyone, "Everything in moderation miss, though a tipple never hurt anyone. Drink, Maxxon?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Grinning confidently at Halycone, he adjusts his vest. "Well honestly, best I know of our world, there ain't much land that is not near water, but I see what you are saying. As for the strong drink, it's more an extension of friendship than out of necessity. Men do not always have feasts simply because they are hungry, or drink because they are thirsty, it is often for the company they have in these endeavors. On that note, Maxxon, Jackson, my kind lady, feel free."

Extending a hand to Halycone, "Before we put our lives in the hands of those around us, sometimes it helps to get to know them. Maxxon is a master of physical prowess, Vincent that of verbal combat, Jackson a future captain, and you" looking at her bow "I would guess you a hunter of beast or treasure, either a most valuable asset. But it is not always the title that makes someone worth relying on, but who they are."

It is obvious he feels very comfortable talking to the girl, making eye contact and not studdering.
    Last edited by ixious; 2009-01-24 at 12:40 PM.
    Fox

26. - Top - End - #56

Maxxon the Red

He takes the flask from Vincent and swigs just a bit. He then walks over to Raiyin and thanks him for the drink. "I did not think of buying any from the village. I will also repay when we get to a tavern."

He walks back to the rail looking at Halycone sheepishly as he has never seen such a race before.

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

wink Re: Adventuring of the Oceans (IC)

[OOC - Vincent ;) ]

Nodding, "True, true, though you give me too much credit, just many evenings with nothing else to do but swap tales. Perhaps you'd tell us a tale of your last hunt miss Halcyone?"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't take much asking to get Halcyone started telling stories. She begins telling a story about the time one of the ships she was scavenging turned out to be full of Sahuagin. There had been half a dozen looking for something - and they had found it. Though clever use of her spells and her ability to distract - she doesn't get much more specific then that - she split them up, got the one holding the object alone, then walked up and took it out of his hand. In the end it turned out to be some Wizard's scrying orb and she'd had to turn it over without payment, but still.
    Perform (oratory) roll Guess it's a pretty good story, even if it wasn't her last

29. - Top - End - #59

Jackson

Jackson reaches meekly to take the flask if its offered and takes a drink. "As for me... I was born close to the sea. Never met my Dad, was raised by my mom in a small inland village, but I was never much for. Didn't want to grow up to be a farmer, so I set out." He smiles widely at this next part, "And then I saw the ocean, and I knew that was where I wanted to be. Hooked up on a small boat for a bit and learned some things, and now i'm here." The boy ended, handing off the flask to another.

30. - Top - End - #60

DruidGuy

The captain glances around the group; "Okay lads, now you've all had a good nightcap, you better turn to bed. I'll keep watch, and sleep 'morrow during the day." As he says this, you see him fidgeting with a ring on his finger. "I'll wake you once the sun rises"

In the deckhouse you'll find a 20*15 foot space with 6 hammocks lying folded on the ground, and hooks in the ceiling to mount them (no check needed, but chars will need to figure it out

OOC; Want you all to roll 3 listen checks; assuming you all go to bed as the captain commands

A few dm rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    next post
    Last edited by Cymru; 2009-01-25 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Got the roll syntax wrong

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show