New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Adventuring of the Oceans (IC)

Nedric

Nedric finishes his circuit and climbs up the ladder. He rushes to the captains side and grows quiet.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

Maxxon the Red

Maxxon seems very impartial during this and nods to Vincent that he will watch over the goblin. Although he's appearant shock is visible when it comes to talk about murduring the goblin captive.
    Member/founder of Psycho Squad Gaming Club
    Altering reality on a regular basis since 1980, ya i'm old

Thanks to Assassin 89 for the Ventrue avatar!

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jackson

"Him and his comrades killed the Captain, I don't like goblins, I don't trust goblins, and this one will kill us all in our sleep if we let him stay here." Jackson cast a look and pointed his bow at the fleeing goblin on the boat, and cursed a little before hanging it back on his back.

"Anyway..." He continued, hefting up the knife that Rai gave him and walking over to the goblin. "I think this is justice. The Captains life was worth at least," He counted the corpses, and added the still living goblin to it, "Three of these buggers. Any objections? I think the new Captain should be put to a vote... just like this... I don't know if I'm ready to lead." He muttered, softly, still unsure of his decision no matter his feelings.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Halcyone glares at Jackson "Justice? You can't make blood right by spilling more of it. I don't know why they killed the captain, and I don't know why they attacked us rather then surrendering from the beginning, but the creature you are talking about murdering" she spits the word, dripping with venom "has thrown down his arms and has offered to make peace - make peace despite the fact that we killed his friends!" By this time she is addressing everyone on the ship "How barbaric must you be if you insist on blood where a Goblin is willing to parley?"
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

Avatar by Serpentine. Ezeze-doll by Recaiden.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Throwing up his hands, Rai looks to Hal, Good, one person on this ship respects a surrender, but sadly it looks like you and I are the minority, should i at least tell the goblin to get his weapon so it LOOKS like it was a fair fight? Oh, and while we are at it, it may be important to ask, Captain, what are we doing next, with the impending strike of goblins and no information on what they want, how are we getting to our intended goal, how far do i have to swim to get back to where people have sense... Rai continues, mumbling to himself, his fists clenched.
    Fox
    25 years of tabletops and cheetos
    Avid Roleplayer/Loquacious Dungeonmaster

6. - Top - End - #126

RogueGuy

Nedric

Nedric stirs from his quiet contemplation over the captain, whose life he swore to defend's, body.

"I think we should hear what it has to say," he says with a sharp edge in his voice. "If he was a member of that group that snuck aboard my ship in the middle of the night and cut down my captain in cold blood, then I see no reason not to kill him where he stands. I will give him the chance to explain himself though, not that I believe he will have anything to say for himself."

"As to the captain of this ship, I am not quite sure who has legal ownership of it now."

ooc - does Nedric know of any relatives or so on who would inherit the ship?

"If no claims exist . . . I propose that we strike an agreement for equal ownership and equal pay . . . "
    Last edited by DJDeMiko; 2009-02-01 at 02:23 AM.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

7. - Top - End - #127

Maxxon the Red

Maxxon still standing over the goblin gets a wide-eyed panic look at Jackson as he approches with the knife. He eases up when Halcyone talks and even makes a nod in agreeance. When Rai makes his comments Maxxon slightly raises his hand to show that he is part of this "minority", he looks sort of afraid to speak out though.

"The balance was corrected and justice was served. He needs to be punished but not in this way..." He mumbles to himself not caring if anyone hears him, he just says it to right himself.

He then looks over at Nedric and shrugs his shoulders as if is vote would not count. His body language highly suggests he is WAY out of his element.

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

"Aye, Maxxon has it right, leave it be lad, there's been enough blood shed this night.

(If the lights are still here)
    "Ach, Hal? Can you send one of those lights over where the other one was rowing? I know I'd like te see if there are any more of these creatures around other than the one with his tail between his legs"

(If the light's have gone out)
    "Right, let's get a bit of light on deck shall we, and Hal, could you make up another one of those lights? I'd like to see if that coward's going to fetch any friends"

[OOC - Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Rai translated the goblin saying there weren't any others, and if he did. No harm in checking anyway right?]

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Hal nods and the lights zoom out over the water at a rate of 100 feet per round , curving slightly so that they don't go more than 110 ft from Halcyone. She mostly explores that side of the ship, not taking the light far enough from the goblin in the boat to cast him into shadow.

(ooc: They last one minute, and she can cast them once more before she sleeps again, after that we'll be working with starlight.)
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jackson

"Alright then, out-voted." Jackson said, nodding at Halcyone, with a smile. "But I hope you put this thing down if it manages to kill me or anything else, and remind me to learn some goblin..." He muttered, then turned back to it, "So, Goblin, you are working for us now... your comrades are dead, and we're your only hope of never seeing the bottom of the ocean. Do a good job, mend your ways and try not to be a piss-poor replacement for the Captain." He leaned in close, "And do whatever we say without question, and maybe I won't kill you."

Then he leaned up and gave the dagger back to whoever it belonged to and double checked his own equipment. "So, I think we should let him go and have him clean up the mess his comrades made... then get back to bed. I'll stay up here and keep an eye on him and sound the alarm if we get attacked again." Then he flashed a boyish smile and reverted to the look he had when he came onboard- doe-eyed naivety.

11. - Top - End - #131

DruidGuy

[ooc] The sense motive attempt fails, dramatically[/ooc]

The goblin drops back to it's comrades, hugging their corpses.. Mumbling in goblin;
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Kill my friends? My best friends? My allies? Couldn't do"

As Hal sends her light after the fleeing goblin, it reveals a horrifying sight;

about 20 boats; all boats filled with goblins, angry goblins, goblins looking for a kill. This all at a distance of 110 feet

As you look upon this horrifying sight, the goblin kneeling at his dead comrades grabs a morningstar and shield, rises and smiles. He looks at Rai and speaks in common; "You should have killed me. And that coward should not have fled".

As he points at the fleeing goblin, it's rowing boat is hit by several fireballs coming from the mass of goblin army, and burns to a cinder.

[ooc]Hope this will solve the internal leadership and alignment squables. As for Nedric; you don't know any of the captain's relatives, come to think of it, you cannot even remember him ever telling his name. You do remember he guards has the key to his chest on the lower deck, and guarded it very closely[/ooc]
    Captain of the high seas..

DM of "Adventuring the Oceans"
    DM of "Is there a cleric in the house?"

Martin DenBerg in "The forgotten forge(3.5)"

Taste of my real life occupation;

Spoiler
    Show

Map of Oceanium; Updated 26-01-09

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

The color from Halcyone's face drains. She steps back, away from the newly armed goblin, forgetting him a moment as she summons another quartet of wisp-like lights and sweeps them in the opposite direction - looking for a way out.

13. - Top - End - #133

DruidGuy

With the goblins between you and the coastline, the only way out is the opposite direction, south, onto the open ocean.

(time for some knowledge geography check)

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134

Maxxon the Red

He is taken back momentarily at the sight and then sees the gobling arm himself. "Forfit it is creature". me mutters to himself.

Action (full round): Put foot into face of goblin that has not accepted our terms of surrender

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative Roll (1d20+1)[17]

Unarmed Attack (1d20+4)[7] Damage (1d6+3)[6]

WHOOT!! big wiff over his head. Maybe the wind will knock him down--
    Last edited by Hastuur; 2009-02-04 at 08:30 AM.

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

DruidGuy

[ooc]no need for initiative, we'll free flow through this battle... Just post actions as we go... Unless you want to attack the advancing goblin horde...[/ooc]

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

RogueGuy

Nedric

"Oh &%$^," Nedric says. "Do any of you good fellows know how to sail a vessel this large?"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

(ooc: 4 power points to burn then it's nap time......this is going to be spectacular, or I will be rolling a new character in a few minutes >.>
    )

Shaking with rage, Rai stabs his spear into the ground,

"You made a fool of me, I will not make that mistake again"

Holding up one hand a thin line of lightning strikes the goblin's shield
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack:
    (d20+7)[25]

Damage:
    (d6)[1]

Holding up the other hand, another beam of electricity shoots out
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack:
    (d20+7)[18]

Damage:
    (d6)[5]

The air around Rai shakes, the shines (inertial armor, for the effect) as the boards below the goblin creak. The dead goblin is lifted (assuming he is under 100 pounds) and thrown at the goblin.
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack:
    (d20+7)[18]

Damage:
    (d6)[3]
    and knock him down if hits

Just as it hits him, Rai collapses in a pool of his own blood.
    Spoiler
    Show

Helpless, unconscious, 0hp, whatever you want to call "not getting up for a good long while"

NOTE: All Hits, this character may live through this encounter.....
    Last edited by ixious; 2009-02-04 at 02:45 PM.
    Fox

18. - Top - End - #138

DruidGuy

Rai, draining his lasts powers hits the goblin twice, stagerring he then throws a goblin body at the last standing goblin. As both bodies connect they hit the deck hard, splattering goblin brain goo..

[ooc]not unconcious yet, 0hp, doing anything more than just moving around will cause you to drop to -1 and be dying...

As for sailing the vessel, with Rai dropping out for now, the "captain" (basically someone with ranks in profession sailor) needs to make a DC 5 skill check to steer the boat... If Rai would be helping, no skill checks are needed

[/ooc]
    Last edited by Cymru; 2009-02-04 at 04:52 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

Thinking maybe he spoke to quickly about goblin pirates not being a problem a trail of curses follows Vincent as he scrambles up the ladder and runs for the rudder. "Damn and blast it, quick lads, we need every bit of canvas we can get on if we're going to outrun these..." another string of expletives as he takes an indepth look at the goblins' sexual preference, lineage and the questioning of their mother's race.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sailor roll: (1d20+5)[8]

20. - Top - End - #140

DruidGuy

[ooc]nice...[/ooc]

Driven by an undescribable urge to get away from the gobbies the party raises the canvas as if they're true sea veterans.

The ship start moving in a slow pace, picking up speed as it goes... The goblins come closer, bolts and arrow sink into the wood and deck, exploding fireballs all around the ship, one partially taking away a section of hull.

But.. You lot make it, as the ship picks up speed, the goblin grow smaller the arrows, bolts and fireballs grow lesser. After sailing for a few hours, the party is tired, drops anchor, and must now finish their night's rest.

[ooc]

As for treasure, on the goblins you find 4 leather armors, 4 morningstars, and 4 shields, all for small creatures. On your captain you find; a (magic) ring, a spyglass, the map, and the key to the captain's chest.

As for XP, check the OOC thread. In the morning, as you set out, you need 2 geography checks, one to find out where you are and one to plot your course to wherever you go.

[/ooc]
    Last edited by Cymru; 2009-02-05 at 04:49 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Heaving a weary sigh, Vincent makes it down from the sterncastle. "Right, looks like we've lost them. You lot turn in for the night, try and get a few hours in before dawn. Not expectin' any more trouble tonight but I canna sleep now anyway, may as well take watch. First thing in the mornin' I'll look at the maps, get a bearing on where we are, then we can work out what we're doing." Vincent will offer to give Rai a hand towards bed, he's probably not looking so hot right about now

Spoiler
    Show
    And those geography checks for the morning:
    Roll the first:[roll]1d20+4[/roll]
    Roll the second[roll]1d20+4[/roll]
    Last edited by Gmonkey; 2009-02-05 at 04:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142

[OOC - Apologies for double post]

And those geography checks for the morning:
    Roll the first: (1d20+4)[16]
    Roll the second (1d20+4)[18]

23. - Top - End - #143

DruidGuy

During Gmonkey's shift, the wind picks up a bit of speed. The rain continues to drizzle down relentlessly.

OOC;

my rolls for weather

Maybe it's a good time to discuss where you are going?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

/is unconscious wherever someone put him...........

Roll for dreams
    (d20)[6]

Tossing and turning, Rai seems haunted by unseen spectres. Every once and a while a pained moan escapes him with clenched fist. The next morning he awakes, looking down at his wounds, then his hands.

What did I do........
    Last edited by ixious; 2009-02-05 at 07:15 AM.
    Fox

25. - Top - End - #145

Maxxon the Red

He takes Rai over to a low hammok and keeps watch over him as much as possible. He seems even more quiet as he thinks over the experience from the past days. Maxxon follows direction and tries to learn as much as he can.

On the morning after the chase he will scrounge around for items and try to put together a decent meal of seasoned fish.

Spoiler
    Show

Here's to hoping I dont make everyone sick........
    Profession ( Cook ) Roll (1d20+4)[11]
    Last edited by Hastuur; 2009-02-05 at 08:03 AM.

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146

Once everyone's awake, and has something to munch on, Vincent will get everyone together for a bit of a meeting, either on deck if Rai is feeling up to it, or inside the sterncastle cabin if not.

"Right lads, we need to work out a few things. Right now we're down a captain, there's a fleet of goblins that may or may not be chasing us, Rai would probably fall over if you breathed on him too hard and the fine lady could do with a couple of repairs.

"Though on the plus side, the ship's still seaworthy enough, we still have the map, the hold's full of food, water and the captain's chest and as long as we keep an eye out we can probably still outrun those dirty goblin beggars.

"So right now, we've got a few things to decide, we need to vote in a captain, at least till port, and we need to decide where to plot a course to. I've a mind to go after that treasure, though after this I wouldn't look down on anyone who'd want to head back to land. If need be I figure we could make it to port and back again within a week, skirting those pirates."

A moments pause, then turning to Nedric

"Ah, I'd be Vincent, The tall one's Maxxon, this lad here is Jackson, the half dead mage is Rai and the lady there is Hal. I take it you're the mage who was with the cap'n for his last voyage?"

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Leaning heavily on his spear, Rai speaks up "We have come all this way, if we have lost the goblins I say we go for the treasure. My wounds will mend quickly, though I am confused why you call me a mage. I hardly think a mage would make his living catching fish! Which reminds me, Maxxon..errr...good job, and thanks for taking care of me last night" He blushes near crimson, before regaining composure. Thank you all, you trusted me even when I failed you, and since we are all alive, obviously can care for yourselves quite well. I will attempt to be more careful in the future, but I owe each of you my life, and gratitude." Making a huge fake grin "BUT NONE OF MY SHARE OF THAT HUGE TREASURE! Let's see that map again!"

OOC: He doesn't remember how he killed the goblin, just that he did, he knows he has SOME strange quirks, but not a full-blown psion/mage. Next fight that will become evident. He is not going to refer to the captain's chest, as he does not know about it and if he did honestly would not want to take the captain's goods when there is plenty of booty to take on the dwarven ship.
    Fox

28. - Top - End - #148

RogueGuy

Nedric

Nedric bows his head politely to each person as they are Introduced.

"You guessed right," he says in a quiet polite voice. All can hear that he is still dismayed over the captain's death. "My name is Nedric and I am of the Shipsunder clan. Not a creative name I know, but my family's trade doesn't require a lot of creativity. I am . . . was . . . the ships mage."

He pauses for a moment thinking "As far as I know the captain has no family. I would like to suggest that until we reach safety we act as a team."

He looks at everyone and continues "We are all stuck on this ship, for good or ill. I say that we try to reach a port safely, find if this ship has a legal owner and split whatever loot we find on the way. In the mean time though," Nedric picks the captains key off the table, "I think we should see if the captains chest holds any information."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Raising an eyebrow "The man gave his life on a quest to find this treasure, and you wish to turn sail, head for the closest port, and grieve? I did not know the captain well, but I am sure his memory would be better served fulfilling this journey than heading to dock!"

Only read if you suspect Rai is not telling the truth and rolled a Sense Motive of 3 or higher Rai is a Horrible Horrible liar
    Spoiler
    Show

Bluff: (d20)[3]
    He is desperate to get the treasure, he is saying whatever it takes to get some degree of unity on the issue that we need to go get the treasure, period.
    Last edited by ixious; 2009-02-05 at 03:16 PM.
    Fox

30. - Top - End - #150

Maxxon the Red

Maxxon nods thankfully at Rai at the comment. He turns to Vincent to get his attention "I have some carpentry skills. I know dat not be the same as building a ship but I know wood."

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show