New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Derby Hills: The Beginning

It had been a long walk from the last city. You now had reached the luscious green hills that had been called Derby Hills for Edward Derby who had explored much of the old world. You have stood out from the rest and have been given the honor to help with staking a claim and establishing this city. Of course you have Sir Lord, what ever his name is, and the council. They can help bring supplies in. But in the end it is all up to you.........

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Derby Hills: The Beginning

At the front of the line of people, wagons, and animals, Martin the Bald spies a flat grassy area next to the trail. He gestures with his head to his oldest son Friedrich, who is next to him helping to pull a cart loaded with most of their worldly possessions. They pull off the road and set the cart down. Martin sighs and stretches his back as the rest of his family gathers around them, carrying various sacks and baskets.

Martin
    "I think we've made it at last!" (his wife nods) "Let's see if anyone else wants to stop right here - looks like a good place for a few families to make camp while we scout around for good places to build our homes. Hmm, we won't want to be very far from the river, but it would be nice to be up on a hill a bit... anyway, time for that later. Kurt, pass me some water, would you son?"
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Vasae

Vasae and his crew placed camp on one of the further hills, unpacking their surveying tools and getting to work. Plans and drafts slowly drawn up, and further scouting parties by the Five Points pressed into the woods.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

4. - Top - End - #4

LeLand

Walking out of the low bushes Leland approaches the traveling settlers, with open arms.

"Greetings neighbors! I am Leland, I was sent out ahead to start a small farm to help keep you all well fed before you got here. I have some live stock, and I can offer you shelter in my house and barn, until you get a shelter of your own built. In exchange I ask only for the help of a few of the young to help me plant the year's harvest."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Glum Underhill
    Glum stopped the oxen pulling his cart and got down from it, onto the lush grass. They'd been riding through mud for most of the way, it was nice to find a place that hadn't been touched by traffic and travellers. He also noticed that there were lots of folk arriving and all of them were tired and thirsty.
    "Hello there! Leland, is it? My name is Glum. Glum Underhill. Craftsman and entrepreneur. pleased to meet you"

Glum shook Leland's hand gratefully.
    "Could you lend me a hand, Leland? I need to set up some stuff right here, by what's going to be the road. There's plenty of us, and we'll be arriving throughout the day, but the sooner I get set up the better for everyone. We want the boys from the home-country to have a warm welcome after all, don't we?"

Glum walked over to his cart and pulled up one of the sails, revealing that his cart was largely stocked with kegs of beer.
    "Could you lead my oxen to your stables and see that they're fed, Leland? There's some coin in it for you, and a few drinks on the house, eh?"
    Glum gave him another friendly nod and then walked into the hubbub of the arriving settlers.
    "Ale! A nice pint of fresh ale to cool you down after a long journey! Come to Glum's Tavern for the best ale in all of Derby Hills!"
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

6. - Top - End - #6

Martin
    "Pelor be praised! I will feel much safer with my family in your barn, Leland, and have no worry about having enough workers for planting time. I have no draft animals and no plow, but I do have four strong young children."

Martin and his family take their cart up to Leland's barn on the top of a low hill with cleared land around it, some of which has already been plowed. On the way there, he sees a camp of men already working on one of the highest hills, not too far away.

Martin's family unpacks a few of their things - some bedrolls to sit on, a large pot with a tripod for cooking over a fire - and Martin praises Pelor again when he learns of a Glum's "tavern." Taking Friedrich with him, they walk over to the casks of ale and introduce themselves to those around them, thirstily requesting a pint each.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Hope I didn't god-mod too much with my descriptions, like the barn being on a hill and such. If it's not what you had in mind, please let me know and I'll edit.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Glum Underhill
    Local Tavernowner

Glum introduces himself personally to everyone who drinks at his establishment. He walks up to Martin and Friedrich after selling them a pint each.
    "The name's Glum Underhill, innkeep and craftsman of no small number of trades. What exactly do you and your boy here do in the camp?"

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

8. - Top - End - #8

Martin the Bald (responding to Glum)

"Well, I'm a Barber-Surgeon. Besides cutting hair and closing wounds, I've trained myself in medicinal herbs and the like. My wife is an experienced midwife. My young man Friedrich here has no specialty as yet, but he's of the age to seek his fortune, so we'll be looking for opportunities for him as well as my other children. Probably farming or forestry if there are no tradesmen that want to take them on as apprentices. Actually my youngest boy is interested in the priesthood, but I haven't seen any clerics among the settlers here. At least we have your tavern here! Gives us some semblance of civilization."

As there are a few other patrons around, Martin leans back against a cask and addresses the general public in addition to Glum.

"Has anyone given any thought to how we're going to provide security for our camp here? I haven't heard anything from the nobility or the council yet, and while I'm sure they have something in mind, I feel we should take some sort of defensive measures immediately. I heard wolves in the forest on the way here, and right now we're easy prey for bandits as well. Perhaps we should build a stockade somewhere near Leland's farm here."

9. - Top - End - #9

LeLand

Addressing Martin "I'd be happy to have you, there's being a sorely felt lack of conversion these past few weeks and I'd happily welcome fresh traveling tales."

Returning to Glum's new tavern with his axe in hand and bow slung across his back with a small quiver on his hip. "So Glum how may I help? Shall we make a simple wooden construct? As for security I'm not often troubled by the wolves, but then that was before there was so many. Still they are hunters of opportunity and I doubt they would try anything on a group so large. And as for bandits," Lelands hand touches his bow "I've fought many men in my time, should any man make you or your family feel threatened, you need only seek me out."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Glum Underhill
    Local Tavernowner

"Oh, I'm not planning to put up a permanent tavern here, I don't have by far enough booze to last and the closest place I could get more is too far away to be profitable. No, this is just a temporary arrangement to cheer up the settlers and to earn me some coin. I think I'll start working as a craftsman once I get settled down somewhere. I may be taking an apprentice, Martin, if business goes well. I was planning to head out to the river to seek a nice place to build a home tomorrow in the morning, as no-one wants to drink then anyways"

After selling some more ale Glum continues to talk, though much more silent than before. Fear was bad for business.
    "As for defences, I doubt there's much out here to defend ourselves from. Some wolves, sure, but they didn't seem to have been any great trouble for Leland, and I doubt they will be for an entire community"

11. - Top - End - #11

Martin

"I'm glad to hear there's no real threat out here. Still, it would be good for us to build our homes near each other, in a village, for the sake of defense and convenience. After all, no-one is going to walk three miles to get their hair cut! Our fields can be located outside of the village. We obviously cant get greedy and go claiming huge swathes of land for ourselves that we can't even farm, so I imagine the council will give us a certain allotment. Hopefully we'll hear from them this evening, so that we can start building our homes in the morning without worrying about whether we'll have to change locations later. Perhaps they'll even have some lumber and other building supplies pre-positioned for us."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Glum Underhill
    Local Tavernowner

"Allotment? I think I'll pick out where I'll live myself, thank you very much. With the help of mister Leland off course, who knows the area. If that's okay, mister Leland? Anyways, I'll need a spot right next to the river, perhaps on the side of the forest, since that'll save me having to lug lumber across the water"

13. - Top - End - #13

Martin

"Oh, I don't mean the precise location, just total area. So many by so many paces. I'm sure there's plenty land for everyone."

"Perhaps we can choose a spot for folk who want to live with their houses close together, but still guarantee that we won't miss out on larger plots of land elsewhere in the area."
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2009-01-24 at 07:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Leland

Frowning slightly at Glum "Why would you want to be next to the river as a craftsman? Should the river flood you would be ruined and your business hardly need's a constant supply of water."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WrathOfLife View Post
    Leland

Frowning slightly at Glum "Why would you want to be next to the river as a craftsman? Should the river flood you would be ruined and your business hardly needs a constant supply of water."
    "Oh, I have my reasons. Besides, I can't think of any goods I would produce that could be ruined by water. Nope, anything you buy at Glum's is tougher than that"

16. - Top - End - #16

Martin finishes his pint.

"Well, I'd better get going. It's been a long day and tomorrow will be a longer one. I'll be sure to show up if we have any informational meetings, other than that I'll be up at dawn to start work on the homestead. Thank you for your hospitality Leland, and Glum, the ale was like nectar of the gods after a long day on the road. Come along, Friedrich."

17. - Top - End - #17

Vasae

As night fell, the Five Points hitched their wagons togather, and discussed their findings. Tommorow would begin their first day of work. No doubt the city would need materials, and there was little time to waste.
    My Current Works

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

A slim young woman, her fiery red hair tied back in a pony tail, and dressed in a black leather tunic and breeches trots up. On her back is a quiver and a bow is over her shoulder.

Behind her a young blond man, with freckles still evident on his face, and sporting a chainmail shirt and a sword at his belt. He led a wagon, assumidly full of their property.

"Sorry I'm late" she shrugs andholds up her hand "But I caught a couple things and we are willing to share"
    She holds up two young hares. The man showed that a deer was in the wagon as well as their supplies.

The woman smiles "My name is Anya, and this is my husband Ronald"

Ron smiles and nods "Nice ta' meetcha"
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

19. - Top - End - #19

Leland

Staring at Ronald first among the new comers. Leland heads over as he has done with everyone who has arrived during the day.

"Welcome, should you require shelter, my farm is just over on that hill, might be getting a touch crowded but a roof is a roof."

Then turning to Ronald his tone becomes much more authoritarian "Ronald was it? Might be an idea to take that armor off, no need to be scaring folk with it. There'll be no fighting here."

Leland waits to see if any more folk arrive until nightfall when he returns to his farm to see how everyone is settling in.

20. - Top - End - #20

Martin and Friedrich had just set down their tankards when Anya and Ronald showed up.

Martin
    "My goodness, you cut it close - if you'll pardon an old barber's expression - it's almost nightfall! I'm Martin, and this is my son Friedrich, and this is Leland, whose barn many of us are sleeping in tonight, and this is Glum, the propietor of this drinking establishment! Friedrich, go on back to the barn lad, tell your mother I'll be along."
    "If you'll pardon my curiosity, what are your trades? Judging from the beautiful coneys and venison, I'd say you're professional hunters! Glum, Leland, are there some hot coals and a spit here somewhere?"

Ninja'd by seconds!
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2009-01-26 at 06:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Anya grinned and without looking, kicked her husband in the shin "Ow" he complained.

"I told you not to wear that damnable suit" Anya said, shaking her head

He shrugged "Well you can never be to careful"

Anya turned back to the others "Well, by trade I'm a runner, a messenger of sorts"

Ron kinda shrugged "Well I'm a soldier first, but I have farmed before, and hunted"
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

22. - Top - End - #22

Vasae left his small encampment, leaving his company to work out the logistics over what meager supplies that were left. The other people had to know the resources they were sitting on at the very least, and he had come to build the city with his company.

Vasae took a seat with the others, trying not to intrude in their merry making
    My Current Works

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here ye, here ye. The first meeting of the first council of the first town in Derby Hills has commenced. First business. Town name. If anyone has any ideas we will have a brainstorming after I finish the beginning business. You are all sitting on a sundry of rocks that were gathered up. A warm crackling medium-large sized fire crackles before you. Nice and warm compared to the cold, late fall night. The council sits before you, all 5 of them. Kraig, a male veteran dwarf politician, on the very left; Valeria, a female wilderness expert, on the opposite side.; Fondolla, a female halfling ex-sheriff and noble, next to Valeria; Gumo, a male gnome trinketeer, engineer, politician and merchant and engineer guild leader, next to Kraig; and lastly the man speaking before you now, Nathaniel Mifune speaker and prime minister and great revolutionary/writer/philosopher, right in the middle. Around you are Glum, Leland, Vasae, Anya and Roland, Martin and his wife and Friedrich (they just got back from putting their kids into bed), the elven sheriff/ranger/druid Haldir, and various other older family members from the community. Next business. I hope you all have had the chance to meet Haldir. He is an elf and the sheriff of our community. He has much experience in the wild and already has a log cabin set up on the hill behind us. *ooc:you are in the middle of two hills on the right and left and the river in front of you. The council/town hall will be set up near the middle*. He can help with any needs any one has. Next, how far are we going to extend this community to. Obviously we can change it, but for the time being we need to set up ourselves defensively. As for setting up, we need to get everyone's house up. After that we should get a food hall/town hall for the time being. Then we can decide from there. We should be getting more supplies for building and food, more people for farming, guards, and people to help populate and build, in a couple days.........Once we get going economically, sending them stuff, the government will send us more supplies and people...............I do now believe that the council meeting is open to questions and discussions. With that Nathaniel Mifune sits down and waits for the talking to start.

(i tried getting this in earlier but the forums were really slow)
    Last edited by drum-n-bass; 2009-01-26 at 09:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Vasae stands, clearing his voice. It is soft, belying his strong arms and gruff nature. He is rather lean otherwise, a simple gray tunic and a pair of baggy dark brown pants keep with his rather spartan apperance. His long black hair was pulled back into a pony tail, revealing his slightly pointed ears, and a braided goatee hangs to the top of his chest.

"Fellows, Council, I am Vasae, I represent the Five Points Masonry Company. We have spent the day prospecting and preparing to begin our quarry here so as to swiftly supply cut stone for the building process. We have found several prime locations, and we will start as soon as the sun rises and will not stop until the sun sets below the horizon.

We would like to set up out cutting facilitiy within the town, so as to expidite the building process. My men can also be put to work in other locations, but they are by far not well trained in anything outside stone cutting and mining. They can carry cut lumber, hammer nails, and are excellent at setting the stones they cut. But of course.

I myself will make sure the Company is running smoothly, and I myself have a military background. I already have blue prints in my cart for several projects when the town is well on its way. Please never be afraid to ask my assistance."

With that, Vasae sits down
    My Current Works

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

When the stonecutter sat down Glum got up. It didn't really make much of a difference, as he was a dwarf after all, but at least his voice was loud enough to be heard clearly.

"My name is Glum Underhill. I believe most of the people in the camp have already met me, as I have provided them with some much needed entertainment and relaxation. By that I mean, off course, that I am the owner of the temporary tavern that has been set up by the main route"

"I was wondering as to the exact function of the town council. First of all, in what capacity will aid be provided to those in camp for putting up their houses and businesses, besides what Mr. Vasae has already volunteered off course, for, I expect, some monetary compensation. Secondly, to what degree may we expect the council to enact the law? Do we have any set rulebook of sorts, or will trail simply be decided on a case by case basis?"

"Third, when can we expect a trade route to be set up to the camp, and how long will it take for ordered supplies to reach the camp? According to my calculations it's a two day drive to the nearest settlement, but that's a ****hole and it would take a five-day drive to the nearest town of any consequence. Add the time it would take for a messenger to get there with the orders in the first place and you've got a seven day delay on any ordered goods. Am I right to presume a traderoute by the river will be set up that might possibly take less long?"

"Fourth, how serious should we take the authority of the council and sheriff? I presume these institutions have only been set up in a temporary fashion until the camp is capable of acting wholly independently and elections can be held? I was also wondering how exactly the council was expecting to uphold this authority. Guards, you say, but in what capacity? Would these be mere militiamen to ward off attacks from outside or lawmen to support what power the council held in camp?"

"Then I had some additional thoughts. I would suggest that authority and ownership of the food hall and meeting place would be lent to me, as I have some experience in these matters. I am a relatively popular man in camp, so I would imagine no-one would make any objections, plus the hall could be a meadhall by night, saving us the room of having to establish a second such place. I would off course provide whatever services necessary for further town meetings, as long as this is esteemed necessary and vital by those in the camp"

"As for the name of the camp, I would have suggested Derby if every bloody place around here wasn't already called Derby. That being the way it is, I really don't give a damn, as long as it's catchy and causes no confusion"

Glum gave the crowd a nod and then sat down. Then he reconsidered and got up again.
    "A free beer for everyone on me after the town meeting, in my tavern! You know the way!"

26. - Top - End - #26

Leland

Leaning back and listening only half heartedly Leland starts mentally listing his work for the next day. His farm being a fair distance from the village, he doesn't feel entirely part of the group.

27. - Top - End - #27

Martin the Bald
    "I propose we name our village Haven, for it is our shelter from the storm of politics and war without. This is a good place here - close to the river, but not so close that it will be flooded every time it rains, and reasonably close to Haldir's cabin, the Five Points Quarry and Leland's farm.

"My thanks go to those responsible for obtaining this land, you five councillors. Have you built homes yet or are you just arrived in the same convoy as the rest of us? I believe it is good we have a government to start with, and we should take their guidance seriously, but I agree with Mr. Underhill that we should have elections as soon as possible, for that is the reason we came to this place - a chance to determine our own destiny!

"I also agree with Mr. Underhill that we will want to set up a trade route by river. We are fortunate to have the luxury of a quarry with skilled masons, and I presume we will have a surplus of cut stone once our homes are built. The stone will be too heavy to carry by that miserable trail we came in on, it will be best to trade it by boat. My apologies if I speak out of turn on this issue; I am neither mason nor merchant. We will need someone who can build and navigate a raft."

(more to follow)

28. - Top - End - #28

Martin (continued)
    "I trust the council's word when they say supplies will be coming in a few days, but we should endeavor to be as self-sufficient as possible... who knows how much longer we will be able to depend on the outside, or if we will even want to do so.

"If Master Leland will be so kind as to extend the hospitality of his barn for another night or two until these supplies arrive, my family and I will delay the building of our home and my shop. We will instead help the rest of you with the priorities at hand - work that needs done on the farms that will feed us, clearing trees and cutting lumber, building the stone cuttery, and building our town hall. I suggest we build the Hall on one of these hills rather than in the saddle between, and that we build it out of stone, and build it larger than our current need, and perhaps add a watchtower to its blueprint. It may be the refuge of man and beast in dark times."

"I must qualify that being a barber-surgeon, and my wife being a midwife, in these early days of building our village my family is entirely dependent on you who will provide us with food and raw materials. Please pardon my boldness in making so many suggestions."

29. - Top - End - #29

Vasae

Vasae stands again, taking a slight bow

"I would be more then willing to export what we find in our quarry. We of the Five Points will start as soon as possible mining for the stone needed for the Hall. If the good Doctor would be so kind, in the morrow if he could come and inspect my men after we have started to work, and aid me in drawing up the blueprints of the Hall then we can begin its building as soon as we have the lumber and stone.

I would also ask permission of the council to allocate some of the stone we mine for a project that will in time be for the betterment of our growing community."
    My Current Works

30. - Top - End - #30

Martin bows politely in acceptance of the mason's invitation, smiling slightly to himself at the misuse of the honorific "Doctor." True university-educated doctors tended to look down upon common surgeons, considering them to be more like butchers than professional healers. And indeed, many surgeons were little more than butchers, but Martin prided himself on his constant quest for current medical knowledge, as well as his compassionate bedside manner and good common sense.