New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Derby Hills: The Beginning

At Vasae:
    The council nod at your proposition and your help, they say nothing as you have no questions.

At Glum:
    spoilered for amount of questions. anyone can read.
    Spoiler
    Show

"I was wondering as to the exact function of the town council. First of all, in what capacity will aid be provided to those in camp for putting up their houses and businesses, besides what Mr. Vasae has already volunteered off course, for, I expect, some monetary compensation. Secondly, to what degree may we expect the council to enact the law? Do we have any set rulebook of sorts, or will trail simply be decided on a case by case basis?"

We are here to provide structure, law, support, and help to this community. Financially and physically. We can set up a book rule if need be. We will simply have a trial and decide from there. We will enact the law to the extant that we have to. If someone has a problem with someone else we can help.

"Third, when can we expect a trade route to be set up to the camp, and how long will it take for ordered supplies to reach the camp? According to my calculations it's a two day drive to the nearest settlement, but that's a ****hole and it would take a five-day drive to the nearest town of any consequence. Add the time it would take for a messenger to get there with the orders in the first place and you've got a seven day delay on any ordered goods. Am I right to presume a traderoute by the river will be set up that might possibly take less long?"

A trade route has some what been set up, but since the river flows down to one of the major cities and a river about 15 miles from it flows north to about 50 miles from here, there will be a town set up there soon as a trading post.

"Fourth, how serious should we take the authority of the council and sheriff? I presume these institutions have only been set up in a temporary fashion until the camp is capable of acting wholly independently and elections can be held? I was also wondering how exactly the council was expecting to uphold this authority. Guards, you say, but in what capacity? Would these be mere militiamen to ward off attacks from outside or lawmen to support what power the council held in camp?"

You should take it as serious as it should be. We are here to solve problems and help get this town built. We will remain here until someone complains otherwise, but since we are a part of the Empire's government we are under their control and what they sat goes. We are going to hold authority as strict as it needs to be. Militiamen to ward off attacks. Not lawmen. Haldir is the only lawman we need.

"Then I had some additional thoughts. I would suggest that authority and ownership of the food hall and meeting place would be lent to me, as I have some experience in these matters. I am a relatively popular man in camp, so I would imagine no-one would make any objections, plus the hall could be a meadhall by night, saving us the room of having to establish a second such place. I would off course provide whatever services necessary for further town meetings, as long as this is esteemed necessary and vital by those in the camp"

Good point. We had no one in mind. So you will do just fine.

"As for the name of the camp, I would have suggested Derby if every bloody place around here wasn't already called Derby. That being the way it is, I really don't give a damn, as long as it's catchy and causes no confusion"

They look at you oddly, and dismiss it.

Councilor Nathaniel Mifune replies to your questions.

At Martin:

Haven would work fine. If anyone has any better ideas speak up now. * "the dwarf man (not Kraig) What about Derby Haven?" a bit sheepishly* What do all of you think of it?
    We are sleeping in tents right now, but we will get homes set up soon enough. Yes elections will be held in a month or so, for members of a "congress". Yes, we will need to start depending on ourselves. We have many resources to do so. Yes that would be a good idea. (to both watchtower and food hall on hill). We will get a blue print drawn up tomorrow, and it will be presented at the council meeting tomorrow.

If there are no further questions, I will adjourn this meeting. Next council meeting is tomorrow at night.

with this the council members get up and leave for their tents.

Spoiler
    Show

If anyone has seen the matrix trilogy, the council is basically like the council in the matrix trilogy.
    Last edited by drum-n-bass; 2009-01-27 at 11:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Glum Underhill
    Local Tavernowner

"Mr. Vasae, could we meet in the morrow to establish the plans for the town hall? I have some small requests. Martin, I would gladly have your help in drawing up the plans"
    He gives them both a nod.
    "I'll see you all in my tavern"

Glum then steers the aimless crowd to his setup by the road, where he sells them some more ale, after off course giving the promised round.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Vasae nods once

"Of course, anyone is free to stop by our Company and offer any personal affects to any blue prints we've drawn up."

He then follows behind for his promised pint, and then returns to his camp.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Martin, having had enough ale for one night, heads back to Leland's barn and settles in for the night with his family.
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

5. - Top - End - #35

Vasae wakes early, ringing a bell set on his wagon, rousing his men.

"Get to work early boys. We've got orders already!"

The working men groaned and muttered as they set about getting dressed and ready to begin the quary. Time was of the essence.
    My Current Works

6. - Top - End - #36

In the pre-dawn light, Martin's family wakes and quickly gets ready for a busy day, even though their muscles are still sore from the long trek to Derby Hills. They wash their faces, drink some cold water, eat some hard bread and cheese, then stick their knives into sheaths in their belts. Thirteen-year-old Crispin leads them in a quick morning devotion before they go their separate ways. Meena, Crispin, and Maya report to Leland to receive their tasks for the day, while Martin takes Friedrich and Kurt with him to the makeshift "tavern" and meets Glum.

Martin
    "I brought the older boys in case Vasae has some heavy lifting that needs done, stone and lumber, so they can free up his skilled workers. Shall we go meet Vasae at the quarry and go over the plans with him?"
    "I don't think I've met everyone in the camp yet - it would be good if we could find an architect or a carpenter in addition to the boatman we were talking about last night."
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2009-01-28 at 11:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

Leland

Getting up early like most Leland sets to tending to his animals, feeding and watering, milking and collecting produce, after giving them a quick check for illness or issue.

When Martin's young turn up for orders, Leland smiles at them happily "Well, good morning. Today we'll spend the nice cool morning plowing and readying the soil for seeding. Then, after a nice lunch break, we'll head down to the town and give your father a hand setting up." If there are no comments or questions Leland passes around the few tools he has to aid them in the task of plowing.

(ooc: Does Leland have a horse drawn plow? I noticed a lack of horses in Lelands farm animals, so I assumed not.)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher Doc View Post
    Martin
    "I brought the older boys in case Vasae has some heavy lifting that needs done, stone and lumber, so they can free up his skilled workers. Shall we go meet Vasae at the quarry and go over the plans with him?"
    "I don't think I've met everyone in the camp yet - it would be good if we could find an architect or a carpenter in addition to the boatman we were talking about last night."
    It turns out Glum's not a morning person. He was sleeping with his feet hanging out of his wagon/tavern, probably because his boots were covered in muck, and the apron he wore when serving beer had been stuffed under his head as a pillow. Not a very good one though, clearly, as the shape of the rim is pressed into the side of his cheek.
    "Hrrrrm? Who's sat? Oh, it's you... Help me up, will ya?"
    Glum splashed into the muck with his boots.
    "Just to think yesterday this spot was perfectly green lush grass, eh? That's what a lot of spilt ale and busy feet'll do. That reminds me, I ought to get someone to play some music nights. That attracts a broader crowd than just the men. We had some folk jingling on their violins here yesterday... settlers. I should find those blokes and contract them..."

Glum looks up at the sun and winges.
    "God, how early is it anyways? Do you have any idea how late I was up last night, even after the last people left, washing off mugs? Anyways, I suppose you're right, the sooner I get to Vasae the sooner my meadhall will be built. I know enough about architecture to give some hints. You don't live in a dwarven mine for forty years without learning something about how supports work"

Glum locks up the wagon as best he can and heads out to the quary to meet with Vasae.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Roland and Anya woke up at around eight, and then after a small breakfeast went to see different people.

Roland went to see Haldir "Your the Sheriff correct? If so I perhaps can aid you as a deputy."
    Anya went to see Councilmember Valeria "Excuse me ma'am do you require a scout and town runner?"
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

10. - Top - End - #40

Vasae strides from wagon, wipping his hands off on his shirt, ink stainds soaking into his vest.

"Morning gents. Glad you could make it out this far. Shall we set down to work straight away? Or can I offer you some breakfast and some morning tea before we sit down to sort all this out?"
    My Current Works

11. - Top - End - #41

Martin
    "Friedrich and I already ate, thank you. Just point us in the right direction and we'll do whatever we can. Even if it's just portering, that will free up your skilled masons and stonecutters for other work."

12. - Top - End - #42

Vasae shrugged slightly

"You can send the boy down to the work site, the men are makin' good progress down there as far as I can tell, been busy with writin up some rough sketchs to show ya. Just make certain he's careful, don't wanna have your kid missin an arm or leg."
    My Current Works

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
    Roland and Anya woke up at around eight, and then after a small breakfeast went to see different people.

Roland went to see Haldir "Your the Sheriff correct? If so I perhaps can aid you as a deputy."
    Anya went to see Councilmember Valeria "Excuse me ma'am do you require a scout and town runner?"
    "Hmmmmmmm........I will have to think about that." The sheriff says before disappearing somewhere.

"At the time being, no. I do not require one right now. Maybe later when we have a bigger town and the town by the river gets started. Then yes."

14. - Top - End - #44

Spoiler
    Show
    I can delete this post if people don't like the way I skipped ahead.

One evening after several days of hard work, Martin and his entire family gather in Glum's Temporary Tavern on Leland's farm. Martin, a gregarious fellow, asks every person who comes in how their work has been. If he sees Vasae he will be sure to ask how the stonecutting is going, and if laying the stone for town hall is finished now so they can move on to finishing touches for that building and begin work on family homes (Martin's family is tired of living in Leland's barn). Hmm, any new faces here tonight? I hope Roland and Anya come by; I've been so busy working for Vasae that I haven't seen them at all since they arrived.

Martin
    "Glum, how's your supply of ale holding out?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Glum Underhill
    Town Hall Owner

"The ale is running out quickly, actually. I've just opened my last keg, which may last us as long as the day after tomorrow, but after that Glum's Temporary Tavern will be out of business. It's not so bad, since I've made a killing and I can't keep this life up for long anyways. I get up impossibly early to work on the town hall, harder than most of those slackers Vasae drafted to help his men out, and then I have to skip her after dinner, when it gets too dark to continue construction, to open the tavern and serve the very people I'd been working with all day. They get to relax, but I have to haul around pints! Mind you, I love this job, but it was getting hard. A couple of days of rest will do me good, and after that I might be able to get back to my other lines of work. Engraving, tinkering, you know the sort. Anything you need, Glum Underhill can probably provide it!"

Glum sighed and put his hand to his throbbing head.
    "Gods, that headache... Do we have a doctor in the camp or anything of the like?"

It wasn't surprising Glum had a headache, what with his tavern being this full and the musicians he'd hired playing as loudly as they could, trying to be heard over the hubhub.