New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,481 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice, The Seventh Saga

Jkoshe: Hadrian's right, that's how it is. If you think low self-esteem is the problem. *SMACK*. Unless you are a drug-addicted serial killer or a lying, cheating dirtbag there is no reason you should have low self-esteem. You're you, feel good about that. If you like yourself the odds the other person will as well increase immensely. If you for some reason don't, this thread has a plethora of good advice for increasing your confidence. First among these is feel good about your appearence, wear clothes and a hairstyle that not only suit you but are comfortable. This will make you and other people feel more at ease. Serpentine's sig has a number of useful links if you need some help. Secondly, make sure you're comfortable when asking that special someone out. Now, this is much easier said than done, but try as best you can to conquer your nerves. Listen to reggae, meditate, do whatever relaxes you immediately prior. Then go for it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, yes it'll sting but at least you gave it a shot and rejection sucks a lot worse than regret.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Low self-esteem is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you hate yourself, other people will too. If you learn to like yourself for what you are, rather than wallowing in self-pity or trying to change into something that you're not, then people will warm to you correspondingly.

Cheesy and cliched, yeah. True? Hell yes.
    Thanks for the avatar, Jair Barik!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    ....you are an evil, brilliant man.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Orc in the Playground

I don't hate myself.. I'm just terrified of asking people out...

Main problem being that the only people I'd ask out are people I'm already friends with. I worry that rejection will make future conversations far too awkward.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi, Jkoshe. Try starting with the basic compliment. This is just a good life skill to pick up anyway. Think of something specific and situational to compliment the object of your affection on. If you really like the person, this should be pretty easy - start with, why do you like them? (Aside from shared interests, of course, and preferably aside from their treatment of you and inherent physical appearance - clothes and accessories are fair game, but less effective than complimenting admirable behaviors.) Then, when they evince a behavior you find admirable, tell them. (Just, y'know, make sure it doesn't come out too creepy.)
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Orc in the Playground

So if the person brightens my day when they are around just...go out and tell them that?

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jkoshe View Post
    So if the person brightens my day when they are around just...go out and tell them that?
    Well, that might be a start, but I would try to be more specific. What do they do that brightens your day?
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Orc in the Playground

Ah I see. That makes sense, thanks.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Troll in the Playground

Jkoshe, check out the 'talking to girls' link in my sig
    Live, Laugh, Learn, Love,
    and Look both ways
    when you cross the street

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Orc in the Playground

I have now read it again. It's quite helpful... But now the second question that this was all leading up to. How do you ask out a friend and keep it from being awkward.. Actually the situation has enough things I'd like to talk about, would someone be willing to put up with my question in PM form?

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian_Emrys View Post
    I was 6 when it happened. I can clearly remembering trying to stand between them when they were fighting, trying in vain to break it up. Since then, I've gotten mixed messages from both sides as I went back and forth between homes. It's taken me years to just begin to chip away at the pile of issues that the situation had generated in my world view.
    I was 6 when my mum left, too, though my sister was more like 12-13. Our parents never ever fought, though I sort of made up memories of them fighting. They also never bitched about each other, and only recently has my dad even talked about the break-up at all. One thing that might've made a difference, though, is i never "went back and forth between homes". I lived with mum and dad, then with dad and went to mum's in the holidays, then lived with mum and visited dad in the holidays.
    All in all, it was a pretty sedate sort of a "broken family"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    That's... Sad. Doesn't that imply that if a random individual's first marriage fails, their chance of making it to "happily ever after" becomes miserably low?

I would guess that there might be fairly substantial differences between the UK and the US, but I haven't got the motivation to actually dig enough to find out...
    As was said, not at all. All it means is that if the person's first marriage fails, they just decide not to marry their next partner. My aunt and uncle have been together for... something in the viscinity of 30 years, I think, but they're not married. I don't think it's fair at all to suggest that they don't have a "happily ever after".
    If your first marriage fails, maybe the institution of marriage just doesn't matter so much any more...

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

New thread, everyone!
    Pyrian's LiveJournal