New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Arena Tournament, Round 48: Stewie vs Vinnie

Hold Up: Illegal action, Rewind to Stewie's turn.

Stewie
    Spoiler
    Show

Your first swift action stated you are moving from I-ll to H-15 by way of G-9.

G-9 is 15 ft lower than your current elevation and completely submerged underwater. Thus, you can not arrive at H-15 by way of G-9 with only 40 ft of movement.

In fact, even if G-9 was at your elevation such an action would still require 45 ft of movement and be unachievable.

The game reverts to just prior to the illegal swift action, here the beginning of your turn. Please post either a revised swift action or else a completely new action set.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Copied, and edited from original post.

@Refs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Was a misreading of the map. G10 was the intended destination.

Stewie, Round 6, part 1... (redux)

A bit more water rises.

My turn, for any with LOS:
    Spoiler
    Show

Anyone not trying to kill stewie in this match:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fishy's hiding, waiting for water to rise, for some reason. Drawing it out to the end? Hrm. Either way, I have to believe that my opponent has correctly identified my platform. First, due to that stone being thrown a few turns back. Their area isn't wide enough for shots in the dark, so my opponent probably has at least a general idea. Possibly more, if he's using the move action to note location via scent. Based on information, my opponent is likely west or south, so I'm gonna try to gain a visual. I'm tired of being entirely reactive. 5 rounds left of travel devotion and a 40 foot move yields a lot of distance I can cover.

If he's to the south? I'll deny cover there. If he's to the west? Likewise. If I can get LOS and stay on my ledge, I will, but if my opponent has too much cover, I'll need to go down. Oh well, them's the breaks. My opponent, between staying ahead of the water, and using move actions to note my location, is likely hard pressed to find actions for readying.

Swift: Move from I-11 to G10 (10 feet), then to H-15 (30 feet).
    Move: From H-15 to F-18 (40 feet).
    Standard: Ready an action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast magic missile if LoS and LoE are established.

The above movement is valid if there is no LOS at any point of the move (which I doubt).

If LOS is established at any point, then stop in place, and take the following action instead:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Cast magic missile, targeting Vinnie.

If I have triggered a ready action, then I will modify my move upon learning of the action.

Done.

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 9/9
    AC: 13 / 10 FF
    Essentia: 2/2, Invested-Midnight Metamagic (Fell drain - Magic Missile)
    Spells: 5 / 4
    Effects: Travel Devotion 6/10

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

LoS Established when Stewie steps into G-10. Vinnie is is F-11.

The cliff gives cover to Stewie from Vinnie.
    The shallow water gives Vinnie cover from Stewie.

Stewie isn't hiding, and since water doesn't interfere with LoS Vinnie can't hide.

I'll let Stewie roll the forthcoming Magic Missile damage and effects.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Wait... F11, that's deep water. Why are you there?

Per the above text. According to the ref, you have cover, not total cover, so you're not underwater. Even if you were, this isn't a ranged attack, and water only blocks LOE for fire spells.

Stop at G10. Per above text, amending actions per that point.

Standard: Cast Magic Missile, target Vinnie. As I've invested essentia in Midnight metamagic, my next magic missile is automatically affected by Fell Drain.

Provided it hits, here's damage: (1d4+1)[2] and a Negative Level.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Threw my last thunderstone two rounds ago, and it hit water and didn't go off. So, figured I'd go back and get it. Didn't work.

Rise as a wight in (1d4)[2] days and eat your face.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

Ouch!

As for the undead problem I'm going to have... It's always been wight under my nose. Alas, I don't have the wight stuff to deal with such a problem. Hopefully, two days will bring a different random match here. That'd be funny. Right between two people duking it out, a wight stands up.

That kinda match would be wight up my alley.

I thought of it two rounds late, but right after you threw that thunderstone, before the water rose, I shoulda jumped down into the middle area, and moved to the other platform...

Incidentally... you were pretty close on that stone... I assume you were using move actions to note my direction with scent?
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-04-05 at 01:54 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, just yomi. When you didn't ask for LoS, I figured you were standing in place and readying Magic Missile. I went through the archives, and the last time you used that tactic, you chose to make your stand at K9. Scent told me it was possible you were there, so I made my toss. And forgot completely about the water.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

Wait, you threw at K9? Was that the one that hit water? Because the stone I was referring to is the one on the west side of the west platform. The one that banged really loud, but was thankfully far enough away that I didn't need to roll. I thought you'd gotten a move action direction sniff on that, and were blind throwing, so that you wouldn't have to take a huge hide penalty for sniping.

I chose K9 that earlier match because it had good LOS to most locations, and the most distance from the ramp leading up.

This match, I was going to settle on I-11, as you could theoretically jump up and pin me in, and my defensive casting sucks. Putting 10 feet around me in most directions made that harder, and increased the likelihood of getting LOS while you were far enough out that you weren't a danger to my casting, or my ability, at least, to 5 foot step and cast. Because if my ready action tripped when you appeared 5 feet away from me? Yeah, I'd have not taken it, rather than take the AoO, and give you two chances to whack me. I'd have hoped for a miss, and then I'd have done a withdraw off the side, and a travel devotion move to take me FAR away.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

High Ref PsiDog

Stewie wins by the magicked magic missile!

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show