New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default DnD 3.5 Campaign

You step off the boat, looking at the new comrades you have disovered during your latest adventure, and you wonder what lies ahead. All around you lies the only big city on the small, mostly jungle island. You can hear the sounds of dock workers, moving crates, or repairing ships. Off down the road you see the most popular tavern on the island, Ardan's Hut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: DnD 3.5 Campaign

Kardgorr
    Rising from my morning meditations and stretches, I make my way abovedecks. With a beautiful day ahead, I savor the scents of the sea air, the feel of the wooden deck beneath my feet, the very feel of the wind brushing over my skin. All that readily in mind, I step along the gangway, making my way off the vessel. As I begin to walk the docks, I keep my ears open for anything of interest -- news of what might be happening on the island and in the city.
    Last edited by Rainshine; 2009-03-08 at 07:52 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kyrill

Kyrill had risen early this morning, knowing that his destination was to be reached today. He had been following this trail for months, whispered stories in one town, grisly findings in another. Each one bringing him one step closer, all finally leading here.

"But what will I find here?", he wondered as he stood in the bow of the ship, Irina heeling patiently at his side, enjoying the salty air, however strange it was. The heat had been unbearable below decks for both of them, and he could tell from the way Irina had ceased to pant that she was doing better, at least. He toweled off the sweat from his face as he shielded his eyes from the sun, watching as the harbor slid closer and closer.

It had been almost nine weeks ago that his lord, Nikolai Gregorovich, had directed him to head south. A series of grisly murders had occured in his adopted city, each seemingly unconnected.

Gregorovich's orders had been simple, follow the trail, wherever it led, and put a stop to it. Kyrill had not started out alone, of course. Two others had gone with him--Aleksandr had been the leader of their small band, an experienced captain of men, but more importantly, having a sharp mind and an intuition for the ways of criminals. Mikhail had been their thief-catcher--clever at getting information, finding out the undercurrents in any city and prowling the streets at night. Aleksandr had been the brains, Mikhail had had the skills, and Kyrill was the brawn.

Unfortunately for Kyrill, the other two were gone, one dead for sure. Mikhail had been first, and he had simply vanished. They had waited in the city of Brindol for four days, hoping he would return, but had given him up for dead. Aleksandr, at least, was certainly dead. Aleksandr had apparently asked the wrong questions in the last town they had visited. Someone had grown suspicious, and for all his skills with the criminal underworld, he had been murdered. Kyrill found him in an alley later that night, a garrote wound around his neck. Kyrill had worried when he didn't come back to the inn they were staying in.

And now Kyrill was out of his element. He certainly was not a detective; he was only now becoming accustomed to the world of men, with all its intrigue and deception. He was a man of war, or had been, at least. The battles he knew were straightforward, frontal attacks, ambushes on supply trains, pillaging and burning. Not this. Certainly not this. He hoped his message wouldn't be too long in reaching his lord, informing him of his present circumstances.

Kyrill was drawn out of his reverie as the ship touched into harbor. He realized with a grimace that he hadn't even been able to enjoy the sea breeze.

"Come on girl", he said as he stepped back from the front of the ship and walked down the gangway, nodding to the captain and flipping him a small purse, payment for the voyage.

At the bottom of the gangway, he stayed long enough to ensure that his mules were properly stabled. After he was satisfied, he began to stroll down the dock, trying to take in the strange sights. For the eighth time since dawn, he thought to himself how unbearably hot things were this far south as he loosened the collar of his shirt a touch more.

It was then that he noticed yet another man dart out of his way as he strode along, and almost cursed Gregorovich for sending him away. Among the men of his unit back home, he was, if not welcomed into their hearts, at least accepted for what he was. He doubted if the men who kept trying to clear out of his way had ever even seen the likes of him before.

He was going to need information if he was going to get started. He noticed a dock worker and thought he might as well get started.

"Excuse me, sir? (he tried his best to adopt a subservient, meek tone--it came across as a dull rumble). I just came off the ship, and I could use some help orienting myself. Could you please tell me a little about your city?

As he asked the question, out of the corner of his eye he noticed the others coming off the ship. They seemed good in a fight, and there was something about their demeanor that told him they might be able to provide the help which he so desperately needed...
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2009-03-09 at 11:56 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Gillian

After leaving the ship Gillian pauses to take in the sights. She waits paitently for her wagon to be offloaded, and waters her horses, who are panting in the heat. "There you are boys" she says quietly.

She waits for the rest of the group to disembark before looking around for lodging.
    Last edited by Erutaron; 2009-03-08 at 12:58 PM.
    Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread locked for whatever reason for locking it pops into your head first.

Ishka will never die!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Brigot
    Brigot got off the boat and looked around. Well I hope these people can pay well. I guess I should wait and see what happens, at least I got a free boat ride. Spotting one of the others who helped him fight the sea hags, Brigot decides to stick with them until he can find a mission.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Roth'ight strides confidently down the gangplank, greatsword strapped to his back, holding a large barrel. He easily lifts the barrel into the wagon at the bottom, then re-enters the ship to continue helping unload the cargo.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kyrill

As Kyrill stands waiting patiently, the dockhand seems visibly agitated. Gulping, he says, "N-Not mu-much to t-t-tell. I'm w-with the sh-sh-ships." Frantically, he points to one, "That one," and runs off in the general direction he pointed.

Muttering silently to himself, Kyrill realizes that his decision has been made for him--he'll need the help of others if he's to make any headway in some kind of an investigation. Kyrill turns to the pair at the base of the gangplank.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen with a Russian accent, and you'll get the idea.

"I do not know that we were ever properly introduced, unless you call baring blades together introduction. My name is Kyrill Medvedyev. You two look like you know how to handle yourselves in the vorld. I could use help with task I have been given, but this is not proper place for talk. If you are interested, let us find shade and privacy. Perhaps we can see if the others from ship would like to do same.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Roth'ight re-emerges from the ship carrying a large crate.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

After gathering together on the docks, the group decides that they should all get rooms in the nearby tavern since their goals are all similar.
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kyrill

As the party gathers around a corner table in the tavern, Kyrill speaks up:

It seems to me that we are stumbling in the dark at this point. I propose this:

1) We procure rooms and stabling for our animals, as we will need base of operations.
    2) A few of us should visit local government, attempt to gain audience, and then explain our purpose in coming here.
    3) The others should explore the city, try to learn the undercurrents of the streets--what people are thinking and talking about.
    4) Meet back here, discuss what we've found, and then make a decision from there.

That is what I propose, at least. What do all of you think?

And with that, Kyrill leans back, waiting patiently. Feeling that he has spoken plenty for now, he wants to listen to the others and hopes one of them will make the decision. I am just not a leader--not in these conditions, anyway, he thinks with a sigh.
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2009-03-10 at 06:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateGuy

Gillian

Sitting humbly to the side, dwarfed by the larger men of the group Gillian speaks up somewhat timidly "We are stumbling in the dark indeed, Kyrill was it?, but I feel thats because we seem not to know what it is we are doing here, together I mean. Im sure we all have our own reasons to come to this city.."

She pauses to allow someone else to inject their voice. We should try to make the best of it though... She smiles politely and observes the other patrons in the tavern.
    Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread locked for whatever reason for locking it pops into your head first.

Ishka will never die!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kyrill

Kyrill, startled, sits up.
    "Forgive me. How forgetful I can be! My mind has been very full of late, what with this mission I have been given."

Kyrill then relates to them why he has asked them to join him and Quenten, as the two had discussed on the road the nature of their respective tasks and agreed to work together. Kyrill explains that he is following a trail of murder from his city, but is at a loss regarding how to proceed, as he has lost his partners and isn't very good at detective work or remaining unobtrusive in a crowd. He needs their help.

Unfortunately, he doesn't know very much. The murderers themselves are long gone, perhaps dead to cover up the trail, and all he has are whispered hints that have led him to this city.

"Quenten, what can you add? I am sure your detective skills have uncovered much."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry to put you on the spot!
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2009-03-10 at 06:14 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

As you talk, a waitress aproaches your table, "How may I help you today?" she asks.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kyrill

Still abashed, and glad for the interruption, Kyrill replies: Please, a round of ale for my friends.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"An ale for each of us." Roth'ight turns to Kyrill. "The third task seems most suited to my own skills."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kyrill

"Oh, and another for my dog, please, in a dish," he says with a wink to Roth'ight and a scratch behind the ears for Irina.

Waiting for the others to reply, he whispers to Roth'ight. "That is good to know, my friend. I would be curious, actually, to get a sense of what each of our "skills" are. You are cleric, yes? To what god do you pray to, that he told you to join us?

"And, dear lady,"
    he says, turning to Gillian, what brings you to this city, and why have you agreed to join us?
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2009-03-10 at 02:01 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

"I serve Kord, the Brawler." Roth'ight said, gesturing to the silver fist hung about his neck.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

"Will there be anything else?" the waitress asks after writing down the round of ales.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kyrill

"Actually, yes. I'd like meal--whatever is good. If you do not mind?" he looks to the others for approval, "I'm famished." He looks back to the waitress, "And put it all on my bill, mistress."

Kyrill turns back to Roth'ight. Tell me, how did you come to that? Have you been long in his service?

Thinking, Kyrill quickly turns back to the waitress before she goes: Actually, mistress, there is one more thing: I am new to city and do not know much. If you please, tell me about it. What is like? What happens here? Is anything going on? Are there customs we should be aware of?
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2009-03-10 at 04:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Brigot
    Brigot stays silent till now pondering what he should do in order to contribute to the group. Listen why don't I try talking to the local enforcement here? They might already have some ideas or might need help with another problem. If we can become known for working for the rulers of this city, then our investigations will be made easier.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

"Gosh, you must be from far away." the watiress exclaimed, "We're part of the Aerin Kingdom, just like anyone else, why should our customs be different? As for events, I don't think there's anything coming up except that the nobles convene next week. I've heard they use magic mirrors that allow them to see each other from across the island!"
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"I came into Kord's service when I was twenty. A group of his clerics travel the kingdoms hosting games, and I left home to join them.

He turns to Brigot. "That plan sounds sensible. Better to go before the nobles as a known friend than a stranger."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kyrill - Half-Orc Were-Bear Ex-Barbarian

Kyrill leans forward.

"Convening? Is this normal, or is something happening? And to use magic mirrors! That is interesting. I have never heard of the like. In my country, we use pigeons.

"I'll admit I know very little of the customs of Aerin, having come newly to this land from North, but I cannot imagine any real differences. ...That is, unless you think of something that might be important for a stranger like me to know. Is there anything I should avoid--someone dangerous or someone I might offend? Something I should be careful not to say? Or, on other hand, is there someone in this city whose acquaintance I should make?"

Turning to Brigot and Roth'ight, he says, "I think that is excellent plan. But I also think we may want to go about it in such a way as to avoid the attentions of certain interested parties".
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2009-03-10 at 10:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

PirateGuy

As the others converse with the barmaid and each other Gillian approaches the barman "Excuse me sir, but me and my fellows are looking for lodging. What rooms are available, and whats the price?"

Ishka will never die!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

"Wow sir, you really are from far away, the nobles convene every month. My Grampa says there's no way they have magic mirrors, but my friend Salene says that she thinks the riders are decoys." The waitress looks up for the first time, then gives a little scream before running towards the kitchen.

"Well, we got the best rooms fer the price herabouts. Old Frankie's place don't even have rooms, you gotta listen to tha other peoples snoring. Nah I've heard tell of better rooms elsewheres, but you aint gonna git that anywhere on this here island. The price's one gold, if'n you please. I'm Ardan by the by." he turns away from Gillian for a moment to stop the waitress and says to her, "Sheesh girl, aint you got no brains? We done had evil critturs here, I used to tell you stories 'bout them. I done seen lycanthropes 'fore, and that one aint no evil crittur, now go on over there and apologize."

The waitress returns to the table meekly, although it's clear she's no longer scared.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kyrill

"It is quite all right, dyevushka. I know that my appearance can be somewhat...disturbing.

Now, if you are able, I would very much like to learn the answers to my questions concerning offending wrong people, or who I should be sure to make acquaintance.

But if not, I would be just as happy to eat. The food smells most excellent."

Spoiler
    Show
    If she says something important, it may change what I say next. I'll roll a gather information check, just in case it matters. (d20)[5]+1

Turning to his companions when she finishes, he says,"As I have said, I like your plan. I think that Gillian has right idea, too. As soon as my stomach no longer growls, I would like to get moving. I would be more than happy to follow your lead, for (as you can see from our poor lady's experience) I have difficulty with people."

Glancing at Quenten, and then back to his companions: "It would seem that our investigator friend here has much to mull over. Let us allow him to think over what we have seen so far." He turns again to the detective, "If you would like to stay, of course. Or if you would prefer, you may find out more if you wander the streets, or see if you can speak with any of your contacts, or even the nobles. We shall see what you have found when we return. Good hunting to you."

Back to the party: Tovarishi [Comrades], I feel that I have spoken enough. You talk. What else would you recommend? What are your thoughts on situation. And, if you have no further plans, I would like to know more about you personally."

And with that, he and Irina will settle in to their food and ale, whenever it comes, listen to the others, and then he will be ready to go, following the others' lead (after getting a room and paying the innkeeper).
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2009-03-11 at 06:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

PirateGuy

"Well thank you Master Ardan, This does seem quite the establishment." She smiles politely while digging in her coinbag and pays him for two nights. "I'll let my friends know about the prices," motioning towards the groups table "Is there room enough for all of us?"

Ishka will never die!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Brigot

Brigot stands up from the table. Well I'm going to go see what is going on in the city that might need our help. I'll meet you back here tommorrow. With that Brigot leaves and begins heading for the local guards HQ.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kyrill

Calling out to him as he leaves, Kyrill yells, "We'll take care of your room! Come back this evening and let us know what you've found if you can," and then returns to listening to the others and eating, absent-mindedly scratching behind Irina's ears.
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2009-03-12 at 10:58 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

"Er... How many are you." Ardan pulls out a book from under the counter. "It looks like we have seven rooms on the second floor and all fifteen on the third open. That should be enough."

Back at the table, the waitress, Amalie, had just finished listing everyone you shouldn't piss off, which included her father and the cranky old woman who lived next door to her. "Oh, and don't get on the wrong side of Yarrin," she adds, "He runs almost all of the major shipping on the island, and a good deal on the mainland too, very powerful. Says he met the king once."
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2009-03-12 at 06:12 PM.
    Show