New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lair IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Lair IC

"Welcome" says a man, grinning widely as you enter his meeting chamber. The man, Azourafael, looks like a handsome human male in his mid-twenties, but his golden eyes and silvery hair betray his lineage. One might wonder what he is doing in a place like the Devil's Knot if it wasn't for his black armor adorned with blasphemous symbols dedicated to some dark god.

He motions you to have a seat. "Wine, my friends?" A young beautiful slave girl trots over with a silver tray. She places a goblet in front of each of you and leaves. "From your home town, my drow friend" he says, winking at Kelatar. "But without the usual spices they love to add."

Azourafael gives a lewd smile as he glances over to Alia. He quickly regards the bugbear and the goblin underboss with a nod and speaks to Corrin: "I have a ... job ... that might interest you. But first, tell me how you are these days." He glances over to the others in the room. "And please introduce yourselves. I need to know what you can do so I know where your expertise comes in."

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show

Azourafael is the leader of one of the many criminal houses in the Devil's Knot. You don't know exactly what he specializes in, but you can make a Gather Information check later if you want to know more about the man.

Please note: The three subforums Alpha, Beta and Gamma have been merged and thus it may be difficult to find the thread later. Therefore, it may be a good idea to bookmark the thread or subscribe to it (or both).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Lair IC

Kanar

Kanar glances about warily as he sits down. He smiles at the wine and the girl. His hand stops in mid-reach as the man mentions the 'spices'. He glances at the man and the others with him before taking the glass and leaning back in his chair; he doesn't drink from it until he sees someone else do so.

At the questions he shrugs. "Kanar does good. Kanar fights. Wins many fights in arena. Gets strong." He grins as a hand absently pats the morningstar hanging at his belt.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Vega

Corrin's burning eyes glower as he nods imperiously at Azourafael, his heavy mace resting easily across his shoulders. "I am the Overlord Vega," he proclaims in a resounding baritone. "Many know me as a great leader and warlord, and I come to assemble a legion of followers to my side." A gesture of his gauntleted hand encompasses Grovel and the rest of the party. "Those you see here are but the first of many."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Kanar

Kanar glances at the goblins and smirks before looking over at the human. He glances interestingly at the man's mace before looking back at their soon-to-be employer.

5. - Top - End - #5

Kelatar Aleath

The Dark Elf stands up next pulling back the hood of his piwafi and gives a subtle and small bow to those present. "I am Kelatar Aleath. It will be a pleasure doing business with you." He smiles showing his white teeth, a stark contrast to his blueish-blackish skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Alia

Since coming to the Devil's Knot, Alia's found it better to alter her favourite disguise --that of a young, black-haired human-- so that an unholy mark is shown to have been burned onto half her face. She's somewhat disappointed that it hasn't discouraged the small flirting of the man across from them. Her small entourage of dogs lie obediently around her feet, cowering in the presence of the evil they sense.

She pets the wiry grey fur of her hunting dog as she samples the wine before answering.

"A shame about the... spices,"
    she mutters, smiling. "I'm Alia Clearkirk. Alaigazat, to certain creatures."
    I'm in the Player Registry.

COMMISSIONS -- open; PM me for prices and details. Payments done via Paypal.

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

7. - Top - End - #7

"Yes... the wine is excellent" the man says with a smile. "But that's not why you are here."

"Miles above us, in the region known as the Gateway, there is a dwarven mining colony that is - according to the intelligence I've gathered - very profitable but lightly guarded. With the pesky dwarves controlling the region, it is also impossible to expand my business to the upper parts of the Underdark."

"It has been decades since any of the goblin or orc tribes in the surrounding areas have dared to attack them, and the once vigilant dwarves have grown complacent. However, considering that there's a dwarven fortress in the region and over five hundred dwarves live there, it would indeed be foolish to launch a head-on attack. But that's not what I had in mind."

"The mining colony is located on one side of a chasm while the fortress lies on the side. The only way to get across is a bridge that the dwarves control. If we can seize the bridge and prevent the dwarves from crossing, we can cut off the bulk of their troops and easily secure the mining colony and the mines."

"After we've done that, I'll leave the mining colony for you to guard while I'll take care of the mines. Strengthen the position and establish a headquarters there; I'll have more tasks for you... and there's more glory and loot to be had."

"Have a look at the maps and ask me any questions you may have regarding the mission."

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show

Have a look at the maps in my signature. A few notes on the maps:

The corridor marked as (1) on the Rail track map leads to corridor (1) on the Mining colony map. Likewise, (10) on the Rail track map is connected to (12) on the Mining colony map. Finally, the corridor to the east of (7) on the Mining colony map leads to room (1) on the Bridge map.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Vega is silent as his glowing eyes scan over the parchment. One gauntleted finger quietly traces a corridor on the easternmost part of the map (random map #3, the corridor underneath the map title). He glances over at their employer. "Is this the entrance? These tunnels are extensive. I assume you know approximately how many dwarves are guarding this mine, since you have such detailed intelligence about its structure. I see bunks here for about 7 dwarves in total, 14 if stacked atop one another. A moderate force, but easily conquered in these tight corridors..." he muses aloud.

The imposing man nods resolutely, reluctantly recalling some of his father's business/economic lectures to apply to the situation. "So be it, then. As our employer, you will no doubt wish a cut of the spoils we take. However, we will only complete this for you on the condition that any spoils garnered are our own to keep, unless there is a particular item that you seek. It is a reasonable offer, since as a businessman you of course realize that the profits you will gain from your new trade route will more than compensate for any expense in hiring us. We can be paid after the completion of our task, and furthermore, if we fail in our task, you will have lost nothing and can easily make another attempt because many such groups are for hire down here beneath the earth."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+14)[16]
    Last edited by Tyrael; 2009-03-12 at 07:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Kanar

The bugbear's eyes gleam as he studies the maps. After the human asks his questions, he speaks up. "We get all this after we kill the durfs? Sounds good to me. When do we start?" He glances at the others to gauge their reactions.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Alia

Alia studies the maps as she sips from her glass of wine. She listens to Vega spout tactics and analyses of the maps.

"We mustn't solely count on soldiers, Sir Vega," Alia interjects. "There is, of course, the prospect of traps, spells, guard animals...

"And Surely it would be wisest, Sir Vega, to hear what Sir Azourafael plans are to deal with the most unpleasant threat that is this dwarven fortress," she comments. "Should we manage to conquer this mine, our insurgency would not stay secret for long. Chasm or no chasm, they would soon find a way to cross this little obstacle and execute us. I'm sure Kanar, Kelatar or your goblin minions would not approve of having their heads on a dwarf's pike so shortly after victory."

She takes another sip from her glass and turns her gaze to their prospective employer.

"Would we, Sir Azourafael, have your word that we would have support should it come to such messiness?"

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy: [roll]1d20+6[/roll]
    Last edited by Exit; 2009-03-12 at 08:08 PM.

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Roll wouldn't work. Try again.
    Diplomacy Roll

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

12. - Top - End - #12

Kelatar

The Dark Elf ran his fingers over the map as if he was divining the location, his keen Drow mind working over the possibilities. "The Bridge should be collapsed to prevent the Dwarves from being able to cross over. My engineer can devise a way to send it crashing down"

He continues "If the intelligence is correct and there are only 14 Dwarves we may easilly be able to kill half the force while they are in their beds sleeping. It should be a simple matter for us Drow to slip in and slice their throats."
    Last edited by LongVin; 2009-03-14 at 03:19 PM.
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

13. - Top - End - #13

Azourafael answers your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
    "Is this the entrance? These tunnels are extensive. I assume you know approximately how many dwarves are guarding this mine, since you have such detailed intelligence about its structure."
    "The fortress is on that side of the chasm, so don't go there. The only reasonably safe way to reach the mining colony is through their sewer system. You'll enter the area here (pointing at corridor (12) on the Rail track map)."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael
    "However, we will only complete this for you on the condition that any spoils garnered are our own to keep, unless there is a particular item that you seek."
    "Yes, your terms are acceptable. You may keep any spoils garnered."

Quote Originally Posted by Ipphli View Post
    "We get all this after we kill the durfs? Sounds good to me. When do we start?"
    "Yes, the area you can see in the maps will be yours. We'll start... soon..."

Quote Originally Posted by Exit
    "Should we manage to conquer this mine, our insurgency would not stay secret for long. Chasm or no chasm, they would soon find a way to cross this little obstacle and execute us. Would we, Sir Azourafael, have your word that we would have support should it come to such messiness?"
    I'll ensure that you have enough resources to keep the dwarves at bay. Meanwhile, I'll form alliances with the enemies of the dwarves. I'm also sure that many houses in the Devil's Knot are interested in the business opportunities that arise when the dwarves no longer control the west side of the Gateway.

Quote Originally Posted by LongVin View Post
    "The Bridge should be collapsed to prevent the Dwarves from being able to cross over. My engineer can devise a way to send it crashing down"
    "Good thinking, Kelatar. Preventing the dwarves from being able to cross over is the primary objective of the mission. But getting there unnoticed is the real challenge, but I believe you are our stealth expert," Azourafael says and bows slightly. "It is of utmost importance that the dwarves do not realize what is going on before the bridge is destroyed or closed, or they'll raise an alarm and the mining colony will be swarming with dwarves in a matter of minutes."

"After you've done that, kill or capture any remaining dwarves in the mining colony and prevent any counterattacks."

Quote Originally Posted by LongVin
    "If the intelligence is correct and there are only 14 Dwarves we may easilly be able to kill half the force while they are in their beds sleeping. It should be a simple matter for us Drow to slip in and slice their throats."
    "The guards and miners work in shifts so there'll be approximately the same number of dwarves around at all times."
    Last edited by Kensen; 2009-03-15 at 04:19 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Kelatar

"We will be coming up this way," his finger glides from 12 into 7 "the guard here," he points to 4 "will need to be disposed of quickly before he can sound an alarm. We should strike shortly after the shift change to limit the possibility of the death being discovered as the other Dwarves will be going deeper into the mine or preparing for bed or a meal." Tracing the route to the bridge he continues "It is then a quick matter of a near straight run to the bridge. Pausing only momentarily to eliminate a guard here" his finger jabs at number 7. "The destruction of the bridge can serve as the signal for the main assault to begin and we can press the Dwarves from both sides."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Alia

She squints at the map of the bridge as she listens to the drow make plans for the invasion.

"This bridge," she says, gesturing to it with her glass. "It seems to be a drawbridge, divided in two halves. We should consider whether it should be raised during our attack rather than destroyed. They could provide a barrier that way, rather than leaving an exposed space. At least the bridge in the western half would.

"There do seem to be a number of guards stationed there," she considers. "Kelatar, do you think you and your men would be able to execute them with a minimum of fuss? Although I do wonder how strong they are, and if a mere sleep-based spell and either a cut throat or being dropped into the chasm would be enough."

"This is likely a silly question, Sir Azourafael, but are we to assume that both the mining colony and dwarf fortress are inside a mountain? If so, how far would it be from open air?"
    Last edited by Exit; 2009-03-15 at 08:45 AM.

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

16. - Top - End - #16

Kelatar

OOC: Are we coming in from the top of the bridge map or the bottom? I thought it was the top.

IC: Rubbing his chin, the Elf ponders the situation for a moment. "If you can provide us with a sleep spell we can easilly make use of it, if not, I or one of my soldiers can cover the passage in a globe of darkness. I also believe it would be best to crash the bridge, it may take too long to operate the drawbridge if we are engaged in a battle."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

I think we're coming from the top. 7 in the Mining Colony map leads to 1 in the bridge map)

Roll:
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowldge (local) - does my character know dwarves have darkvision?
    (1d20+3)[23]

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

18. - Top - End - #18

"The mines are in the southwest. The dwarves use mine carts to transport the ore. The ore is unloaded from the mine carts at 7 on the Rail track map and they carry it through areas 4 and 1, then 1, 5 and 7 on the Mining colony map. They cross the bridge and take the ore to the fortress for processing. Therefore, you're likely to encounter guards and miners on your way to the bridge if you take the route Kelatar suggested. It is the quickest and shortest way to get there, but you'll have to be either invisible or very well disguised."

"Striking shortly after the shift change is a good idea. Whether you choose to destroy or raise the bridge is up to you. My alchemist can help you if you need something to destroy the bridge with. But Alia has a point there; if it is possible to raise the bridge, it would provide a barrier against arrows and bolts, and attempts to cross the chasm. Either way, the rest of you should be ready for the main assault when the bridge is raised or destroyed. Timing is of the essence."

"I expect there to be at least six dwarves guarding the western half of the bridge, maybe as many as a dozen. Most of the dwarves stationed in the mining colony are young and shouldn't pose a serious threat if encountered alone, but can be dangerous in numbers."

"And yes Alia, the Gateway, including the mines, mining colony and fortress, is inside a mountain. You've got about two miles of rock above your heads when you're there. The dwarves have another entrance to the fortress in the eastern side of the mountain, but I have no maps of that area. I'm intrigued - why did you ask?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes, you're coming from the top.

And Yes, Alia knows dwarves have darkvision. Speaking of darkvision, Vega is the only character in the party without darkvision, and that's another thing you should think about when planning the mission. The dwarves do use candles, torches and lanterns sometimes because darkvision is black and white, but they tend to avoid them because air doesn't circulate so efficiently underground as it does aboveground.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2009-03-15 at 03:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Alia

"It has been some time since I've been in the outside world," Alia answers Azourafael. "I quite like sunlight and nighttime, and open air."

She looks at the maps again and at the drow. "If I may be so bold as to offer a strategy, perhaps the best idea would be for me, Kelatar and his men to go first. We are, after all, the smallest and likely quietest of this team. Stealth and magical backup are essential to the mission. In fact, finding a more capable spellcaster to provide us with stealth spells may be worthwhile. We disable alarms, suppress the guards both to the east and west of the bridge, raise it and send back a messenger to you, Sirs Vega and Kanar. Then you could commence dealing with the rest of the dwarves."

She smiles and scratches the ears of her hunting dog. "It'll be a bloodbath."

Spoiler
    Show

Do I know of the spell Greater Invisibility?
    Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+3)[8]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+8)[17]

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Vega nods slowly, planting the head of his mace on the ground and leaning on the shaft as he listens to the group's plans. Goblins are useful creatures, but not known for their subtlety, he muses. Perhaps these people will be more useful to my long-term campaign than I had realized...

The imposing Overlord nods again to himself and remains silent, paying rapt attention as the others scheme and plot.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Kanar

Kanar grins at mention of a 'bloodbath'. "Kanar can get help ta kill durfs when it dat easy. Me and dem will finish 'em off after da black ones do their job."

22. - Top - End - #22

"Good, very good" Azourafael says with a smile. "Kelatar, Alia and the drow mercenaries take care of the bridge, and Vega and Kanar lead the main assault. Do you have everything you need for the mission? Let me know when you are ready."

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show

Key issues to consider:
    • A) How do you get to the bridge undetected? Will you use disguises, spells or stealth?
    • B) Are you going to destroy the bridge or raise it?
    • C) How do Vega and Kanar know when to attack?
    • Do you need any special equipment, potions, etc. to accomplish A, B and C?

Alia knows that some very old and experienced witches can cast the Greater Invisibility spell.

Spellcasters are much weaker in this campaign than normally, due to the houserules regarding character creation. NPC spellcasters are subject to the same limitations as PCs (i.e. they must take 6 NPC levels/racial HD/LA before they can take levels in PC classes). It would take a 13th level NPC to cast a 4th level spell.

1st and 2nd level potions and scrolls are readily available in the Devil's Knot.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2009-03-17 at 09:32 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Kanar

After the meeting with Azourafael, Kanar heads towards The Black Eye, a favorite tavern of his and a favorite of the goblinoid races. There, he finds two associates, fellow bugbears he's fought beside in the arena before. After much drinking, cajoling, and threatening he convinces them to join him and his new 'friends' on their mission to kill the dwarves. They are promised their pay once they're on the road; no point having them take the money and run.

24. - Top - End - #24

Kelatar

"I believe we have everything that we need. Though, would it be possible for you to provide us with some sort of explosive or perhaps Alchemist fire in case it proves necessary to destroy the bridge?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Alia

"My last question would be how much of the mines themselves we'd own after the attack," Alia asks, setting down her empty wine glass. "Other than that, I suggest we spend the rest of the day gathering equipment and men, and meet tomorrow to begin traveling to the dwarves. Where would everyone like to meet?"

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Overlord Vega

Vega nods authoritatively. "We will have the mines before the next sunrise," he booms. He inclines his head to Azourafael, then turns to Kelatar, Kanar and Alia, declaring, "We will meet at the gates* in an hour to discuss our final plans."

Swirling his blood-red cape, Vega strides from the tent, his armor clanking as Grovel scurries in his wake. Immediately outside, the Overlord seizes Grovel by the arm and lifts him up to stare into his glowing eyes. "Time to make good on what you promised me, Goblin," he intones. "Assemble my horde. The tunnels are small, and I do not wish my servants dying needlessly from overcrowding, so return with no more than a half dozen."

He casts a dubious eye over Grovel's dirty rags. "Do so with speed, and I will see to it that you are outfitted more appropriately as befits my closest servant."

Grovel gives him a sharp-toothed grin. "Oh, thank you my Lord! I shall return swiftly!"

Vega sets him down, and the Goblin speeds off into the crowd, disappearing down a dark alley that led to the Goblin warrens of the city. The Overlord sighs to himself, hikes his mace onto his shoulder, and steps into the marketplace crowd as well...

Spoiler
    Show
    *or wherever the best meeting point in Devil's Knot that's closest to our departure point.

This post is mainly to give IC space/time where Vega assembles his little Goblin dudes and outfits them. I'll continue after one or two other people post their stuff.
    Last edited by Tyrael; 2009-03-20 at 03:16 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

"Excellent. My alchemists have a solution to the bridge problem if raising it is not possible. The... bomb is still largely experimental, so be careful with it" Azourafael says with a grin.

"I'll give you a portion of the monthly income coming from the mines. Initially, your payment will be 1000 gp per month."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

A keg of alchemist's fire: Explodes upon impact (range increment 5'; 10' radius, 10d6 fire damage + 10d6 on the following round; 15 lb.). You can prepare the keg with a fuse so you don't have to throw it. Igniting the fuse is a move action.

Let me know when you're ready for action.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Alia

She glares at Vega's retreating form. Warlords..., she groans to herself. Always so brusque.

"Very well," Alia says, nodding at Azourafael. "I'm hoping that the bomb will not be necessary for our mission. Still, we will take at least one as a precaution. Could you please have one of your servants deliver it to the gate where we're meeting?

She fingers the charts on the table, pensive. "In addition, may I have a copy of the maps? They would be most helpful in coming up with additional strategies."

"Kelatar, I would like for you to walk with me a moment. I want to know we should do for this mission."

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

29. - Top - End - #29

Kelatar

Kelatar bows at the waist offering the proper courtesy to Azourafael "Thank you sir. The mines shall be in your hands by tomorrow."

Turning to the fiendish creature he addresses Alia "Yes? What is it that you need?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Alia

Alia does a small curtsy as she leaves with Kelatar. "Sir Azourafael."

She whistles for her dogs. They trot after her with their heads low and tails down, glad to be out of the foreboding room and away from the golden-eyed man.

She bids the drow to follow her as she begins to walk towards the magical distric of the Devil's Knot. "I'd like to know if you have any ideas on how to move about the fortress unseen, Kelatar. I have a bit more experience relating to escaping rather than entering. I'd also like to know if either you or your men would be able to disable any alarms."

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)