New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Default Re: Erfworld 148 - TBfGK, Page 135

Charlie might have casters able to teleport units with spells. (There's certainly precedent for that in games such as Heroes of Might & Magic.) It would allow him to move them fast from time to time, though he'd still be limited by available "juice" and whether or not he needs these casters for other spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Halfling in the Playground

Sure, but he can't move them now, as its not his turn and a volcano is about to turn the ones in the sky zone of the city into charchons

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJimBoBob View Post
    I'm not sure that's relevant when you have a master class dirtamancer who is capable of forming rock to his will. If the Trimancer can awaken the volcano, then my guess is that they'll be able to direct any destructive output from it.
    I don't think Maggy had anything to do with the backlash to Misty and Jack, or at least wasn't responsible for it.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0093.html It seems pretty clear here that Maggy shunted the backlash on Jack and Misty. Misty died, Jack had mental issues, and Maggy was completely fine.

I like Maggy too, and I think she realizes here what Parson's opinion on the matter was, that's why she was so taken aback, his response was unexpected. She knows Parson cares about his charges now and is against losing anyone unnecessarily, so when she breaks link next time, I don't think she will shunt it all away from herself. I think she'll distribute it evenly so they all take damage, but it's recoverable.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Veiling GK wouldn't really help. Everyone already knows where it is. If it looks ruined, they'll have problems with other sides trying to claim the ruins to rebuild it themselves.

Really though, the biggest reason Stanley wouldn't order Maggie to shunt all the damage to Sizemore is that Stanley has no clue how linking works. If he knew that the damage from linking could be controlled, he would have ordered Maggie to do that when she broke the link with Misty and Jack. He needed Jack after all, but Maggie and Misty were (at that point) expendable to him.
    Jack could veil it so that it seems the entire mountain was destroyed by the eruption.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Halfling in the Playground

Does the last panel of http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0096.html mean that there are 15 Archons total, or that 15 were involved in the coalition at that time? I had thought the latter, but then we only saw three archons in action, over that lake.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Hmmm... but if it looks like the site was utterly destroyed by the volcano and is now worthless -- but in fact GK can be rebuilt -- a veil to maintain the former impression for as long as possible could be useful....
    True, but the way that Ceaser referred to Faq as a "capital site" as opposed to a "capital city" makes me think that a hex is or is not capable of holding a capital, and does not gain or lose that capability.
    Last edited by fendrin; 2009-03-25 at 10:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goshen View Post
    Does the last panel of http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0096.html mean that there are 15 Archons total, or that 15 were involved in the coalition at that time? I had thought the latter, but then we only saw three archons in action, over that lake.
    I think that only 15 were committed to RCC at the time, and the rest of the 15 were on the way (and arrived very shortly). This is supported by Charlie's asking if 14 archons could take the garrison (15 - Jaclyn), and changed when he brought more the next morning =\.

There's no saying for sure how many archons are committed to RCC service right now, or exactly how many are in GK airspace still.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, regarding Charlie being overpowered, we don't know what the upkeep on those Archons is. It could be horrendous and the only way he's able to maintain them is by selling them to the highest bidder and building his treasury that way. There might not be any other cities within 3 turns worth of movement of his capital. It's a little hard to defend such cities when they're that far away, even if he has someone capable of teleporting the Archons.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Pointyleaf View Post
    Where do we see evidence that the archons can teleport? I mean, I know they got to GK fast that one time, but they might have already been in the area - we just don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    We don't have any evidence that they can.
    We see it twice. In the third panel of strip 46 pg 42, and in the 9th panel of strip 116 pg 109.

In the first panel we see the archons in mountainous terrain similar to that surrounding Charlies castle, and the sun is setting and dim light. Charlie gives them an X and Y coordinate to go to, and refers to "the great western conflict" which isn't a typical form of reference for something happening nearby. And then the archons just appear over Ansom and Jillian with a glowing spell effect, and it seems to be mid day or at least a bright sky. Looks like a clear case of teleportation to me. In the second case I suppose it's arguable that the archons flew there, but given the conversation between Parson and Charlie I find this highly unlikely. Asking if 14 archons can take the garrison, and then how many additional archons it would take makes it very unlikely that Charlie has more than 14 archons within range of GK. And if you accept that they teleported in the first case then there's no reason to dispute the second.
    Last edited by BillyJimBoBob; 2009-03-26 at 10:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0093.html It seems pretty clear here that Maggy shunted the backlash on Jack and Misty. Misty died, Jack had mental issues, and Maggy was completely fine.

I like Maggy too, and I think she realizes here what Parson's opinion on the matter was, that's why she was so taken aback, his response was unexpected. She knows Parson cares about his charges now and is against losing anyone unnecessarily, so when she breaks link next time, I don't think she will shunt it all away from herself. I think she'll distribute it evenly so they all take damage, but it's recoverable.
    Yeah, I've always liked that exchange:
    Maggie [seeing the look on Parson's face]: Fatigue has begun to be a factor, Lord"
    Parson: "Yeah, I bet."

But I never took it to mean that Maggie deliberately caused the damage to Misty and Jack. But it is a very reasonable conclusion.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJimBoBob View Post
    But I never took it to mean that Maggie deliberately caused the damage to Misty and Jack. But it is a very reasonable conclusion.
    Not in the sense that she was deliberately trying to hurt them, no. More in the sense of "It's you or me -- sucks to be you."