New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dragonprime's Dynamically Dangerous Dextrous and Destructive Random Banter #118

Hmm...

"Under 18: Anyone not yet 17 years of age cannot be legally married in the State of Oregon. A seventeen year-old can be married if they have the parent's or guardian's consent. Parent and guardian consent forms are available from the County Recording Office.

• If you are seventeen and have resided within Washington County for at least six months, and no parent or guardian resides in the State of Oregon, you may be married if you have an affidavit signed by someone other than the bride or groom stating these facts. Affidavit forms are available from the County Recording Office.

Legal age for marriage in the State of Oregon for both bride and groom is 18."

...you do live in Oregon, right?

So yeah, I guess it's legal...but still...

EDIT: Although does she live in Oregon?

Regardless, it's still probably technically legal, just very ill-advised.
    Last edited by Sneak; 2009-04-01 at 11:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dragonprime's Dynamically Dangerous Dextrous and Destructive Random Banter #118

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    She just turned seventeen. So yeah, it's legal...I think you're allowed to get married as young as 15 or 16 according to the law. But.... I mean, I don't have a problem with getting married young, but "young" is, you know, 19-25...not...YOUNGER THAN ME.
    Wow... that is young. I'm 18 and I don't consider myself mature enough to get married. Not by a long shot.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

She just turned seventeen. So yeah, it's legal...I think you're allowed to get married as young as 15 or 16 according to the law. But.... I mean, I don't have a problem with getting married young, but "young" is, you know, 19-25...not...YOUNGER THAN ME.
    WOW! I thought you were 20 something-ish. A friend getting married at 20 and a little bit is kinda shocking... but 17??? That's some serious jaw dropping thing.
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyway, she doesn't live in Oregon.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Troll in the Playground

Alright. Well, still, it's probably legal. Which may be a bad thing...

...well, there's always a chance everything will work out fine for her and her marriage, I guess, however slim in my mind it may be. Hope it all turns out for the best, I guess.

Anyway, I decided to run a little experiment after all that talk about shuffled music earlier. So, this is...

SNEAK'S iTUNES MUSIC LIBRARY SHUFFLED

Spoiler
    Show
    9:10 PM - BEGIN MUSIC

9:10 PM - Come Together (The Beatles)

9:14 PM - Vince The Loveable Stoner (The Fratellis)

9:17 PM - Avalanche Rock (The Avalanches)

9:17 PM - The Train Runs Over The Camel But Is Derailed By The Gnat (The Flaming Lips) - Skipped, because it was just the track from the first CD of an album meant to be listened to with four CDs at the same time

9:18 PM - The Dark of the Matinée (Franz Ferdinand) - Skipped, because I just didn't want to listen to it

9:19 PM - Still Alive (Jonathan Coulton & Ellen McLain)

9:22 PM - Rhapsody in Blue (George Gershwin)

9:38 PM - Bossa Lounger Medium (???)

9:39 PM - I'm A King Bee (Grateful Dead)

9: 48 PM - China Cat Sunflower (Grateful Dead)

9:52 PM - In The Garage (Weezer) - skipped, because I didn't want to listen to it

9:53 PM - She Don't Use Jelly (The Flaming Lips)

9:57 PM - Turn A Square (The Shins)

10:00 PM - Good Morning Good Morning (The Beatles)

10:03 PM - Mozart: Symphony #41 In C, K 551, "Jupiter" - 3. Menuetto & Trio (Allegretto) (James Levine: Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra)

10:08 PM - Kissing the Lipless (The Shins)

10:12 PM - Track 11 (Tegan and Sara) - all of my Tegan and Sara songs don't have titles, because I got them from a friend as a present, and the songs didn't have any titles when I put the CDs on my computer

10:15 PM - Get Over It (OK Go)

10:19 PM - Subterranean Homesick Alien (Radiohead)

10:23 PM - Learnt My Lesson Well (Kaiser Chiefs)

10:29 PM - Fixing A Hole (The Beatles)

10:32 PM - Blue Jay Way (The Beatles)

10:35 PM - Superman (The Blanks / The Worthless Peons / Ted's Band)

10:39 PM - Hula-La (Holopaw)

10:42 PM - The House Wins (OK Go)

10:46 PM - Save the Life of My Child (Simon & Garfunkel)

10:49 PM - Four Horsemen (The Clash)

10:52 PM - Old Soul Song (For The New World Order) (Bright Eyes)

10:56 PM - Perhaps Vampires Is A Bit Strong But... (Arctic Monkeys)

11:01 PM - Oxford Comma (Vampire Weekend)

11:04 PM - Anne Elephant (Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin)

11:09 PM - Let It Rain (OK Go)

11:12 PM - Abraham Lincoln (Holopaw)

11:15 PM - Track 22 (Tegan and Sara) - skipped, didn't want to listen to it

11:15 PM - Unfair (Pavement)

11:18 PM - Sugar Magnolia (Grateful Dead)

11:21 PM - How Will We Know? (Futuristic Crashendos) (The Flaming Lips) - Skipped, because it was just the track from the first CD of an album meant to be listened to with four CDs at the same time

11:22 PM - He's Gone (Grateful Dead) - Skipped, just because this shuffle has had a ton of Grateful Dead already, and this is a ten minute live song. I'm want some different stuff...come on, shuffle!

11:23 PM - Radio War (Iron & Wine) - thank you, shuffle!

11:25 PM - Anyone For Tennis (Cream)

11:28 PM - The Card Cheat (The Clash)

11:31 PM - Black Flowers (Yo La Tengo)

11:36 PM - Dani California (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

11:40 PM - Waitin' For A Superman (The Flaming Lips)

11:45 PM - Michael (Franz Ferdinand)

11:48 PM - Tristan And Iseult (Tarkio)

11:52 PM - The Island: Come & See/The Landlord's Daughter/You'll Not Feel The Drowning (The Decemberists)

12:04 AM - Haydn: Symphony #96 In D, H 1/96, "Miracle" - 2. Andante (Leonard Slatkin: Philharmonia Orchestra)

12:10 AM - END MUSIC

Well, it largely ignored my classical collection, and completely ignored almost all of my reggae, electronic...well, it pretty much ignored everything besides classic rock, alt rock, and indie rock. Although much of my music is just that, and I do like me some indie rock.

There were a bunch of repeat artists, too, which is a bit annoying.

To put this in perspective, on my iTunes I currently have 122 artists, 181 albums, and 1505 songs.

Well, experiment over. Look if you're interested in what music I listen to.

(Currently 12:19 AM for me.)

Goodnight, everyone!

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

What? No Toto? But how? WHY?
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

JEEZ! My friend who is seven months younger than I am just informed me that she is getting married on May 16th.
    Let me guess: "Wait until marriage" morality set? For some people there's only two choices: break your moral code, or get married young, 'cause putting off sex just isn't happenin'.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

8. - Top - End - #728
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coplantor View Post
    Yeah, younger people getting married is kinda crazy. But hey, there are crazier things out there... like, Justin Timberlake.
    *shudder*

Also, I don't personally think there's anything wrong with getting married at 17. If you're ready for it, and they're ready for it, why not? You'd have to be exceptionally more mature than the average 17 year old, but it's still theoretically possible. If I had found someone, and I loved them, and they loved me, and I was 100% sure, then so long as it was a legal and ethical choice I would go for it. But, I haven't, they don't, and I'm not so, I won't. But I don't think it's necessarilly wrong. Heck, there are people at the age of thirty of forty who still aren't emotionally prepared to get married - age, my friends, is just a number.

Luckily for me, I get to remain a swingin' single bachelor for atleast a few more years till some lucky girl gets 'er claws in me

Now, lads, if you'll excuse me, I'll be fleein' in the opposite direction. I hear the unmistakable sound of a Feminist's League stampede...
    Live, Laugh, Learn, Love,
    and Look both ways
    when you cross the street

9. - Top - End - #729
    Banned

Y'know, a few years ago, after the "Ode to an Orange" poetry contest incident, someone enchanted a spatula to fly around after me paddling me severely across the bum. I think the Feminists' League would be interested in a similar 'continuous reprimand' scheme for you, Felixaar, for we are fond of a good butt.

Of a joke--where the self-confidence outshines the self-depreciation. Instead, we will be sending over a Carmen Miranda cornucopia cap. We trust you will know what to do with it.

From among the people I know, even the couple who got together in high school and never separated were past 20 and independent when they wed. Beyond that, there was the guy who proposed to my youngest sister when they both were 18--but as they'd only been going out for six weeks, she punted his over-eager self out of her life entirely. Even a worthy guy isn't worth keeping if he moves that fast.

I'm going for the kindest interpretation I can muster, assuming that they're marrying now because one or both of them will be military, and anything which works towards keeping them together (the military will make some considerations when moving spouses, but other arrangements--family included--are spit outta luck) is a noble goal.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ettin in the Playground

You ever hear the phrase "Fools rush in?" Well, aside from Quincunx's final paragraph, that's what this situation feels like.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wow, that is young. I know my grandparents got married at twenty three and they'd been together since they were fourteen.
    Well, it's her life and if all parties agree and all that . . .

Now for a miniature rant:

Why oh why oh why is my English department at college obsessed with Pulp Fiction. Just the two scenes relating to burgers.
    Just those two.
    Nothing else.
    I've now seen, read or analysed them a grand total of six times with six A4 pages of Curly - sized handwriting on them. Back and front.
    And I can fit twenty four words to a line, I use narrow - ruled paper, so forty two lines to a page.
    Yup.

And a letter I'm writing is currently on its seventh page. Long, yea or nay?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

12. - Top - End - #732

I don't have anything wrong with them getting married so young in theory, but I doubt many 17 year-olds would be mature enough.

7 pages is long, yes.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

my parents got married at 25, they were'nt ready. They are 45 now.... still not ready.
    I WAS THERE

Spoiler
    Show

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Now for a miniature rant:

Why oh why oh why is my English department at college obsessed with Pulp Fiction. Just the two scenes relating to burgers.
    Just those two.
    Nothing else.
    I've now seen, read or analysed them a grand total of six times with six A4 pages of Curly - sized handwriting on them. Back and front.
    And I can fit twenty four words to a line, I use narrow - ruled paper, so forty two lines to a page.
    Yup.

And a letter I'm writing is currently on its seventh page. Long, yea or nay?
    you know that they aren't really discussing Burgers right?
    the Burgers are just a metaphor...
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

15. - Top - End - #735

my parents got married at 25, they were'nt ready. They are 45 now.... still not ready.
    Mine were married at 18-19.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    *shudder*

Also, I don't personally think there's anything wrong with getting married at 17. If you're ready for it, and they're ready for it, why not? You'd have to be exceptionally more mature than the average 17 year old, but it's still theoretically possible. If I had found someone, and I loved them, and they loved me, and I was 100% sure, then so long as it was a legal and ethical choice I would go for it. But, I haven't, they don't, and I'm not so, I won't. But I don't think it's necessarilly wrong. Heck, there are people at the age of thirty of forty who still aren't emotionally prepared to get married - age, my friends, is just a number.
    It all depends on what each of the parties is planning to do. If either plans to go on to further education, marriage at that point isn't the best plan. If they're employed/self-sufficient that makes a huge difference to whether it's a good idea or a bad one. If you're not already fully independant or are about to go through a big life-changing episode in your life, I can't see getting married being a good plan.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe a couple shouldn't get married if the boy is living in the girl's dorm room, which is a triple connected to a quad by a very small bathroom, and he promises to get an apartment but instead of getting an apartment he buys a $400 engagement ring and instead of getting a job he buys a playstation. Come on, get a promise ring or something, if you're truly soulmates you can wait until he's financially stable and/or you're out of college.
    He finally got a job and an apartment after an entire semester of living with us. We couldn't get rid of him, because letting a person live in a dorm room without paying is a violation of the honor code and we'd be punished.
    He is NOT mature enough for this.
    I'm not invited to the wedding.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

Buying a playstation instead of getting a job is an important step in every relationship, a step backwards, but an important step anyway.

How did you end up living with him anyway?
    I WAS THERE

Spoiler
    Show

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    I think the Feminists' League would be interested in a similar 'continuous reprimand' scheme for you, Felixaar, for we are fond of a good butt.
    They'll have to catch me first!

*rides off into the sunset*
    Live, Laugh, Learn, Love,
    and Look both ways
    when you cross the street

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ettin in the Playground

Buying a playstation instead of getting a job is an important step in every relationship, a step backwards, but an important step anyway.

How did you end up living with him anyway?
    He's the fiancee of my suitemate, and as I said he did nothing but bum around the first semester. He's not even a student here. He promised he'd get an apartment after the first few weeks.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

That's how it always ends up:

"I'll only need a place to crash for a few weeks."

Yeah, from personal experience, it doesn't play that way.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyrian's got it - no sex till after marriage. I share her religious views but (barely) 17 is still just AWFULLY young. I wish her luck....

And a Dvorak update, even though everyone is sick of hearing about it - I'm improving rapidly but the temptation to "cheat" is very strong. The novelty has worn off and it's a pain. But I WILL NOT GIVE IN!

23. - Top - End - #743

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post
    That's how it always ends up:

"I'll only need a place to crash for a few weeks."

Yeah, from personal experience, it doesn't play that way.
    One word: Rent.

Works every time.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    One word: Rent.

Works every time.
    So, how do you count a year?

25. - Top - End - #745

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    So, how do you count a year?

...if that song weren't actually playing on my mp3 right now, I'd probably smack you...

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post

...if that song weren't actually playing on my mp3 right now, I'd probably smack you...
    You have my permission to..."smack" me any time you wish.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

I love Rent...

I own that and Cats on DVD...

...and Phantom of the Opera...

*hides*

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post

I love Rent...

I own that and Cats on DVD...

...and Phantom of the Opera...

*hides*
    I neither own or have seen any of these, but I have seen "Joseph and his amazing technicolour dreamcoat" and "Wicked" live in London.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

29. - Top - End - #749
    Bugbear in the Playground

I still don't quite understand Rent. It's a horribly depressing musical. That's like, an oximoron. Musicals are supposed to be happy!

Look at Little Shop of Horrors! It's about a man-eating plant, and the ending isn't happy at all, but you still leave the theater happy, because it's so silly and funny.

From what I hear about Rent, it's a total tear-jerker sometimes. =/

Meh, I guess Rent just isn't my thing.

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

Rent is not meant to be super happy, but I find it quite inspiring. But that is because I value the Bohemian lifestyle. I think I would take HIV to live like they did.

I saw Wicked live when the company toured through Oklahoma. It was an amazing show.