New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Proportions

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Proportions

I just finally realized that the proportions on everyone are now normal, as opposed to the oversized heads and short stature we saw at the start of the comic. What does everyone think about that? Is it an intentional change? Have they just finally found the drawing style they want to use?

If I'm lagging behind the masses, just ignore me.
    Seth's Signature v2.2 Now with 33% less fat!
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
    Why do people read these things anyway?
    Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you have to throw in your two cents? Somebody's making a penny here...
    AAA (Amazingly Awesome Avatar) by Bloddyredcommie

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Proportions

Ninja art change!

Either that or it's just a way to reflect the fact that the comic seems to be getting darker and more serious.
    The five six star general of self promotion.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dragonseth View Post
    I just finally realized that the proportions on everyone are now normal, as opposed to the oversized heads and short stature we saw at the start of the comic. What does everyone think about that? Is it an intentional change? Have they just finally found the drawing style they want to use?

If I'm lagging behind the masses, just ignore me.
    There's a few theories.
    1. Nothing more than stylistic evolution.
    2. It represents Parson's growing acceptance of Erfworld as a real world, rather than a dream.
    3. It represents Parson's influence on the nature of Erfworldian reality as people start adopting Earth-like proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not just that, but Parson seems to be not quite so tall as he used to be. Wanda comes up to his 'pits, where early on she topped out at his ribcage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Has Parson shrunk, or have the Erfworlders gotten taller? I have noticed a few changes in Parson as well. He seems to have lost some weight. His face does not seem nearly as flaby as before. Still could loose more though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

the first panel may also have been on a strange camera angle since she also appears to come up taller on bogroll who is the same height as parson HERE which isn't all that far from the start of the comic anyhow. Though I agree alot of charecters lost the whole "bobblehead thing" as the comic progressed, Ansom however had a head that seemed to swap proportions whenever the panel needed it to from day 1 though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The way i see it, the change in proportions could be the artist getting used to the style... As webcomics go on the style of the art tends to change. If the artist for instance was not used to making super deformed characters, then as he goes on he might unconsciously start drawing the characters in more correct proportions... one thing that helps this along is when you start to notice that the body type of the character interfers with the movements you would want to make... for instance, if the character can not reach their hands above their head, then it makes it harder for them to rub the top of their head or something. As such oyu draw the character to compensate

Essentially what we see with the proportion changes throughout the comic, is in effect the artist just getting comfortable in the style. He seems to have found his balanced, characters disportionate enough that their are not human, but proportionate enough that it does not hinder their movements...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I am inclined to think that the difference in proportion was intentional. It lends making the reader feel that Erf World if getting more realistic, mirroring Parson's experience.

Just my 0.02 schmuckers.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wanda's head may have been getting smaller, but some of her ... other parts have been growing. I liked her better when she wasn't quite so well-stacked, TBH.
    To speed up forum loading, you can turn off Signatures, Avatars and/or Images separately from one another. See 'Visible Post Elements' under 'Thread Display Options' under 'Edit Options' in the User CP (Control Panel). Only works once you're logged in, though.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

They still look a bit large-headed - not so much, but compared to Parson the proportions are a bit different.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

This could all be intentional, you know. It might be a slow change intended to demonstrate Parson's slow progression towards accepting Erfworld is the new reality. His Earthly perceptions fail, he becomes more native, slowly reducing in size, seeing other humans as what he accepts a human to be, and accepting their mannerisms as less childish.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    This could all be intentional, you know. It might be a slow change intended to demonstrate Parson's slow progression towards accepting Erfworld is the new reality. His Earthly perceptions fail, he becomes more native, slowly reducing in size, seeing other humans as what he accepts a human to be, and accepting their mannerisms as less childish.
    So I wonder if Parson goes back, will he have a bulbous head?

Not all novels with a protagonist who gets yanked into another world return though, so Parson well might stay in Erf.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    I'm going to go with this.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    I'm going to go with this.

My vote:

If it's intentional Rob won't say anything because it will be explained in story somewhere later.
    If it's normal artistic evolution, thet Rob probably will step in and make a statement about it.

I reserve the right to be wrong in all my conjecture.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I think the change is the result of the "laws" of Erfworld slowly erroding due to Parson's actions and just his presence.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    My vote:

If it's intentional Rob won't say anything because it will be explained in story somewhere later.
    If it's normal artistic evolution, thet Rob probably will step in and make a statement about it.

I reserve the right to be wrong in all my conjecture.
    Except now that you've said so, he just won't say anything in order to keep us guessing.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soronhen View Post
    Except now that you've said so, he just won't say anything in order to keep us guessing.
    MUHAHAHAHA

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I think the change is the result of the "laws" of Erfworld slowly erroding due to Parson's actions and just his presence.
    Yes, I go with this. It is Erf being influenced by Parson, not the other way around.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

This is a very far-fetched conjencture at this point, but, you know, if the change is intentional, it might reach a point where Parson and erfworldians would become... anatomically compatible.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alexei P View Post
    This is a very far-fetched conjencture at this point, but, you know, if the change is intentional, it might reach a point where Parson and erfworldians would become... anatomically compatible.
    ...I kinda asumed they already were; it seems clear to me that Erfworlders can make love, but the concept of pregnancy / kids do not exist.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Simons Mith View Post
    Wanda's head may have been getting smaller, but some of her ... other parts have been growing. I liked her better when she wasn't quite so well-stacked, TBH.
    I don't really think that her bosom is more accentuated now than it was in the beginning. Just compare them. *shrug*
    YMMV.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Alexei P View Post
    Yeah, but nobody wants to read about a fat nerd having affairs with representatives of the Lollipop Guild.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Yeah, but nobody wants to read about a fat nerd having affairs with representatives of the Lollipop Guild.
    You, sir, are vastly overestimating the internet.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I had in mind a more psychological development - Parson is your average sexually frustrated gamer. Wanda is a brilliant personality-reader and manipulator. Now that they look (to me) on the verge of conflict, Wanda might be looking for ways to keep her "Perfect Warlord" in line... perhaps subtly at first: hints, innuendo, that sort of thing. I think it would be like her to try something like that to get what she wants - especially seeing her superficial resemblance to a person whom Parson probably fancies from the real world.

This of course assumes that the growing similarity between Parson and the erfworlders is intentional and not just an evolution in style. And I might be reading way too much into superficial details. But, who knows...
    Last edited by Alexei P; 2009-04-27 at 09:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

While everybody has noticed the proportions, there's a more subtle difference between Earth and Erf: shading. All the pages on Erf have flat shading for the characters, from start to finish, while those that depict Earth scenes have smooth shading.