New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 150 - tBfGK - 137

Scarlett lives.

Well anyway, we don't see her fried here as all panels show different parts of the battlefield. While death is a likely outcome of standing in the middle of a violent eruption, I am with the ones wanting her to live through this and call upon the

Theory of Narrative Causality

and

Million-to-One Chance (always succeeds)

So far she has been a minor character, true. But, during the last few strips she's beeing groomed into the next antagonist, should the comic continue.

We haven't seen Stanley's dastardly deeds so it was possible to think that the coalition was a little misguided. But this time, if we see Scarlett pursuing Parson et Co. with a vengeance, we will know why. It looks awesome from our point of view, but if you were Scarlett hacking your way out of pumice and the remains of n*1000 of your people your perspective would be slightly changed. Nothing Stanley might have done could have been as awesome - or destructive - as what Parson did right now.

That said, the likely outcome is we see the Arkenpliers in the next strip, surrounded by amorphous cinder. I for one would be disappointed but hey, it's the writer's and artist's story, and it's been good so far.
    Last edited by BLANDCorporatio; 2009-03-28 at 09:47 AM.
    The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I was originally siding with the "dramatic posers" (that's a fun name...) regarding the red-head with the Arkenpliers, in that we were seeing her in her last moment.

But that burst of lava on the left side of the panel... The one that's affecting her lighting/shadows. It seems a bit close for comfort, especially since the only ground we can see in the panel is in fact flooded with lava.

Attunement? Maybe the Arkentool was a wee bit of sentience and can protect itself? Maybe the red-head has natural fire resistance?

I like the theory of the undead-volcano being ineffective against the Arkenpliers somehow.

And as a last thought, I definitely see the silhouette of a skirt in one of those fireballs in panel 3 (The one closest to the bottom of the screen). So long Archons. :)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Twin2 View Post
    Can't remember when I've ever laughed that hard at a lolcat! Give yourself a healthy chunk of internet xp, mate.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. Today's art rocks my socks. Jamie truly outdid himself, especially with the forth panel's smoke; it looks like a photograph. I'm stunned!

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    I'm not convinced the units in panel 4 are safe or that the worst isnt yet to come. The first 3 panels are all atop the volcano which is just seeping lava up from below. Panel 4 includes what would seem to be a fresh explosion as lava bursts from the side of the volcano. The whole side of the volcano may be about to let go, and its facing towards those troops. Anyone who remembers Mount Saint Helens knows what that means...
    That would be me. I the house I lived in (in PDX) had a nice view from the front yard, straight up the street to the eruption. That's something I'll never forget.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

He's dead, Jim.

I will also side with the Dramatic Posers. I find it unlikely that she will survive. I love the sight of the cloth golem burning. I also want to know why there were so many people not at the walls yet.
    Seth's Signature v2.2 Now with 33% less fat!
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
    Why do people read these things anyway?
    Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you have to throw in your two cents? Somebody's making a penny here...
    AAA (Amazingly Awesome Avatar) by Bloddyredcommie

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 149 - tBfGK - 137

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzafar View Post
    This is what I was hearing in my head when I saw the comic.
    Poor boops. Including, I suppose, those poor boops in the last panel. I guess it would be mere minutes before burning bits of lava start falling on their heads. OMGWTFBBQ!

P.S.: Oh yeah, and excellent graphics!
    This song was what was going through my head when I was reading the comic.

...and the flames went higher. And it burns burns burns. The ring of fire, the ring of fire

7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground

This gives new meaning to the term "Scorched Earth Policy".

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Drana View Post
    Maybe the red-head somehow attuned herself to the Pliers.
    Attuned Arkentools have a sort of sparkly aura around them generally.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. Amazing art on this one.

I'm with the dramatic pose people too. If anything the look on her face would be that of her trying to figure out where the whole war turned against the RCC.

And I don't see those people at the base of the mountain surviving for long either. They've probably expended all of their move getting that far, and that road is a lovely path for the lava to take.

10. - Top - End - #70

Wow. ...just... WOW.

TPK indeed!
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

11. - Top - End - #71

And generally, I'm not going to worry about speculation this strip.

The last few strips have been coming hot and heavy, and so I'm having enough fun just watching them arrive. Great stuff. Wonderful art. I sort of like that we have the equivalent to the summer SFX blockbuster climax happening here. And this is a big budget bunch of CGI. :)

Btw, imagine the emotional impact for those watching below as they watch. Erfworlders live in a 'dead' world that is unchanging and set down by the Titans. Their main impact is the building on cities on the surface. Parson just pulled a titan and has brought a small section of the world to life (or unlife I suppose.) Now that's a life changing view when you realize an eruption is even possible. Gets back to the root of awe, as in awful, to fill with awe, terrifying.

12. - Top - End - #72

OldWizardGuy

They should have sent a poet.

I'm inclined to think that the enemy forces we see fleeing were those that managed to escape the eruption. It's reasonable to expect that some managed to get back out through the walls to relatively safety.

I suspect that the warlord holding the Pliers is the same one who had Bogroll burned to death just a few strips ago. Fate, as well as her damnable sisters Poetic Justice and Irony, would seem to be involved.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

Hm... Will Lava transmit through the portal, or will it break first?

Also, perhaps Parson intends to drop out of sight for awhile -- assuming he doesn't actually return home for good. That could make everyone think it was a true TPK, instead of leaving the Castors and Parson alive.

I suspect Redhead will survive only long enough to deliver the Arkenpliers to a safer location where it won't sink into lava. Buried under tons of ash and rock is more recoverable than sinking into the mountain's lava stream, and if they have a conscious, as is implied, they probably don't want to sit miles underground waiting thousands or millions of years slowly being pushed to the surface.

14. - Top - End - #74

Kobold

How often do you get to use poignant to describe a webcomic? Terrifically executed.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    And I don't see those people at the base of the mountain surviving for long either. They've probably expended all of their move getting that far, and that road is a lovely path for the lava to take.
    Oh, man. Imagine going splat up against the edge of the hex, and being stuck there while the lava and flaming rock comes ever closer....

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

I noticed earlier that the pliers appeared to have some serious bonuses/resistances vs uncroaked.

The volcano is uncroaked, so it makes me wonder....

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Fez View Post
    Gets back to the root of awe, as in awful, to fill with awe, terrifying.
    Since a volcano erution is actually stronger than a nuke, even in nowadays someone who had the power to awaken volcanos would be righteously feared.

If any of the coalition members lives to tell the tale, Stanley will probably become the most feared comander in Efworld.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Anyone else think the lava explosion in the last panel looks a bit like a giant middle finger?

19. - Top - End - #79

SolithKnightGuy

Hmm... The Pliers' Resistance vs. Uncroaked does seem like something that would come into play. Maybe if it worked by adding a flat % miss chance... A volcano makes few direct attacks, after all. Course, it's no guarantee she'd survive the whole thing.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Wow. Today's art rocks my socks. Jamie truly outdid himself, especially with the forth panel's smoke; it looks like a photograph. I'm stunned!
    IIRC, somebody commented on how realistic some earlier flames were, and Jamie commented on the art technique to depict it. He's definitely outdone even his existing great job on the last few pages.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

yo dawg, I heard you like lava....

So gentle little Sizemore, who we met studying with Hippies, who says he is uncomfortable with killing...

He's more or less responsible for probably the largest scale of death Erfworld has seen.

Massacre in the tunnels? Sizemore. Hit and run terrorist attack? Sizemore Toppling GK on the heads of the enemy? Sizemore. And now he's one third of Erfworld's version of the Manhattan project.

Boop.

by the way. Panel 2 would make Van Gogh chop the other ear for jealousy. Well done.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bhurin View Post
    I was originally siding with the "dramatic posers" (that's a fun name...) regarding the red-head with the Arkenpliers, in that we were seeing her in her last moment.

But that burst of lava on the left side of the panel... The one that's affecting her lighting/shadows. It seems a bit close for comfort, especially since the only ground we can see in the panel is in fact flooded with lava.

Attunement? Maybe the Arkentool was a wee bit of sentience and can protect itself? Maybe the red-head has natural fire resistance?

I like the theory of the undead-volcano being ineffective against the Arkenpliers somehow.

And as a last thought, I definitely see the silhouette of a skirt in one of those fireballs in panel 3 (The one closest to the bottom of the screen). So long Archons. :)
    I got to agree that something is happening to red warlord.

She's too close to lava not to, at least, smolder (cf burning warriors to her right hand).

While I like the bonus vs uncroaked volcano, it's still lava that's affecting them, not uncroaked lava. I find it hard to think it's the main reason

- Attuning might be an option.

To me, Occam's says no Titan tool would like to stay bathing in lava for all ages, so it might also be a failsafe way for someone to get it out whatever the situation.

And why do I think of "the Shout" by Munch looking at panel 3?.
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... it might be Elan. They\'re about the same int range, but no self respecting duck would be caught dead with a kazoo

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Archons are fallin' on my head
    But that doesn't mean my bones won't soon be glowing red

I'm sorry, that was lame, but damn, panel 3, with the glowing little meteorettes falling in their pretty little poodle skirts is the most satisfying thing I've seen in this strip in a loooooooong time.

Maybe I'm sick, but that was just sweet. Great work Jamie.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Highwarlord View Post
    I like how the erfworlders are still alive in the fireballs raining down from the volcano - cruel, but a nice touch.
    I think those are meant to be the Archons caught in spewing lava -- note the skirt
    Oh it is the eyeball one.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Sucks to be them.

Suddenly the numbers are all confusing to me. How does this work? There were 3000 left? So not all of the 3000 were in the city proper? But if not all were in the city then why would the odds be hopeless? Parson still had most of the 2000 troops he recently uncroaked plus his own forces. Surely Ansom's forces (I really got to get a better name for them now) would need every available troop to win, right?

I agree... and the uncroaked infantary could still use dance fighting.
    Last edited by mortolani; 2009-03-28 at 12:16 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

I think she's incinerated, like all the others. I came in with the express idea to say one thing though. Nice touch on the fireballs with archons in them falling from the sky

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

Holy molten archons Batman! 'Nother great strip guys, thanks!

To me Red's expression looks like resignation, she might survive through the power of the 'Pliers, but I'm assuming she's toast 'til I see evidence to the contrary *shrug*

I'm also with those who see a possible nod to Munch's "The Scream" in panel 3.
    Jamie you've really outdone yourself with this one and the one before last, booping awesome artwork! :)
    Last edited by HPV; 2009-03-28 at 12:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HPV View Post
    To me Red's expression (...)
    Dammit people.

The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

I liked Scarlett... And there goes one of the mightiest armies Erfworld had ever seen.

I see no reason for injured units to be inside the city, and as we see in the last panel, a few healthy units didn't have the move to enter the place. GK on the other side is up to 4 casters, one warlord, one overlord, one hobgobwin (maybe 2) and half a dozen dwagons. Charlie's probably not in a better shape.

I still expect Bogroll to rise in some corner of the city, the cast page talks about regeneration and we haven't seen it... Maybe he'll be the one to get the pliers.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

It really wouldn't make any sense for the Arkenpliers to imbue invincibility. How exactly would that be balanced? Ansom took a lot of abuse, and then at about the same time (game-rules-wise) lost the pliers and fell a great distance, which I assume is instant high damage (no chance of "missing"). However, as for being near the volcano, I assume also that it's something like an enormous amount of damage at a very high chance to hit—say, 99% for normal troops. Why else would it seem like the volcano managed to hit each of the Archons in panel 3 without wasting any extra fireballs?

As for the redhead, I'm sure even holding the Arkenpliers without them being attuned gives a massive stat boost. AND tanonx pointed out that they obviously are strong against uncroaked, which the volcano currently is. Also, this is a bit of a stretch, but if the Arkenpliers have a sort of intelligence of their own, can they "choose" to attune to somebody? And if so, wouldn't they choose to attune to the redhead, given that the only alternative is to be buried/melted?