New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Sailors on the Astral Sea (Group 2 IC)

Patrick O'Connell

Patrick remains respectfully quiet, sensing that Korgan has the matter well in hand - and, in truth, being just a little surprised by this fact, given how their last adventure together had turned out.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

Allys
    Allys, seeing no reason to add to Korgan's words, merely bows respectfully, waiting for the dragon to make any final remarks.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

"Be cautious with Duskmoon; he is a dear friend to me, but he can be dangerous if provoked. Go in peace." The dragon bends its neck, a dragon's bow, and you take your leave of this eternal celebration.

You begin the journey through the woods of Arvandor towards the coast, where you can sail towards Gloaminghold itself. The forests are wild and thick here, but at the same time they open before you, vines and brambles always beside the path but never within it. Whether this be a property of Arvandor itself or something else guiding you isn't clear. While you hear the songs and see the firelight of other groups of Fey, you never come upon another clearing like the one where you met Hilinasl and Esinokar.

It takes half an hour's jog to reach the coast of the island you are on. As you cannot walk on water, you take a few minutes to activate the magic on the skiff, causing it to grow back to its full size and render it seaworthy.

(Since this is story-important, I'm not going to require an item use for this. I'll only require one where it is your choice whether to use it or not)

As you sail out among the scores of tiny islands that make up Arvandor's archipelago, you manage to avoid rocks and shallows. A few other vessels are once again visible, and a few palaces and other structures are apparent on the shores. You pass these, past the outermost edges of the string of islands, and seemingly out towards the mists that make up the border of the Astral Sea. Some time later, you manage to spot a lone figure that stands out on the water, a stone tiefling, supported by a tiny pedastal; Duskmoon.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kuekemon

Still seated at the prow of the boat like a furry statue, Kuekemon makes a conscious effort to pierce the illusion of the tower that he's been told is beyond the statue.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since he has nothing to say unless spoken to, Kuekemon will have remained in beast form this entire time.

Perception - (1d20+28)[33]

Wow, the dice gods are not with me today...frickin' terrible roll.
    Last edited by Vox Clamantis; 2009-05-06 at 10:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Korgan

Once the statue comes into view, Korgan begins intently focusing on what ISN'T visible. Where are you... he mutters as he attempts to pierce the veil.

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight - (1d20+26)[39]
    Edit: subtract 10 from my mod. I am NOT terribly observant.
    Last edited by Nahal; 2009-05-07 at 11:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126

Allys
    Allys calls down a Holy Lantern about 10 feet ahead of the boat, whose bright light is helpful in piercing mists and searching for the hidden. She, too, begins trying to ascertain where the tower may be hidden among the mists.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Holy Lantern, at will utility. For 10 hours it sheds bright light up to five squares ahead that give a +2 to insight and perception rolls. Insight roll (1d20+25)[37]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Patrick

"Ah, a nice game of hide-and-seek. Hopefully the hider won't be as lethal as some we've found in the past, eh?

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight: (1d20+14)[18]

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

8. - Top - End - #128

Mathas

"Perhaps we should bring this boat around to approach the statue from behind as the dragon suggested."
    Upon disembarking the boat Mathas surveys the island and statue.
    Spoiler
    Show

Insight Check - (1d20+17)[28]
    Perception Check - (1d20+22)[39]
    Melkor, Tiefling Warlock Avatar by Nevitan

9. - Top - End - #129

Allys
    Allys disembarks, bringing the holy lantern with her; it floats about 10 feet ahead of the group, continuing to help pierce the mists; she goes through the lessons in arcane knowledge she had as a temple acolyte in her head, hoping to stumble upon a clue.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana (1d20+19)[39] Insight (1d20+25)[45]

10. - Top - End - #130

Allys
    These mists are so thick. Can any of you sense anything? Kuekemon, would you be willing to scout ahead a bit if I float the lantern just ahead of you?

11. - Top - End - #131

Shaking out his limbs and standing up, Kuekemon turns to Allys and nods his head once. Either he can't speak in animal form, or he's just being uncommunicative. Without making a sound, he shifts into the form of a raven and wings off into the mist.

Spoiler
    Show
    Black Harbinger, daily power. Lets me take the form of a tiny raven and grants me a fly speed equal to my land speed...in my case, 10.

Perception - (1d20+30)[34]
    Stealth - (1d20+25)[31]

Dammit, I can't roll higher than 5 on a d20!
    Last edited by Vox Clamantis; 2009-05-14 at 09:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Searching the waters around the statue for the telltale signs of something hidden from view is surprisingly difficult. It doesn't seem as if there is anything there; even as you search with flight, nothing is apparent. Suddenly, though, Allys notices a strange creature, a dog of some sort, sitting out on the water, watching you. When you see it, it quickly turns and darts away, vanishing into a shimmering barrier of obvious magic. It is incredible that you didn't notice it before; apparently, the illusionist at work here is much more skilled than anyone you have yet encountered.

Floating forward to where your the dog vanished also seems to consume the front end of the Skiff, as if it was sailing into a vat of swirling dye. As you cross the threshold yourself, however, the effect isn't evident. Instead, a seawall seems to snap into being on either side of you, the ship moving through a gap in its protection. Ahead, many crates and barrels sit on the shore of a tiny islet, which rises from the water to a height covered in a grand keep. Near thecargo stands two people attended by several stone and wood constructs, all of whom seem to be waiting for you to arrive at the stone pier that juts into the water.

As you land, one of the elves at the water's edge greet you as the other guides the golems to secure your ship to the pier. "Hail the ship! I assume you have a message for Lord Duskmoon? It must be important to send someone in person instead of sending a messanger beast, so you should enter right away. Please, follow me, and I will take you to him in his study."

Once you have landed on the shores of Gloaminghold, the elf guides you into the manor. You are lead through long and mazelike corridors, up and down stairs, through countless doors, and across several bridges hanging over both pools where the sea has been allowed to flow in and greatrooms, before finally coming to the chamber your guide identifies as Duskmoon's study, though once you are within it looks more like a laboratory. Bookshelves line one of the walls, laden with books, scrolls, and curiosities from every conceivable exotic locale. Around it sit several large chairs and couches, rugs sitting under all of it, and a sizable table with several books sitting open on it. The other side of the room, where a regal-looking Tiefling man dressed in fine robes is working, is covered only in barren stone and the paraphenalia of an arcane workspace. Runes and magic circles cover many of the surfaces, a spellforge for making magical items takes up one corner, and alchemical apparati bubble with unidentifiable liquids.

Regardless of the layout, as you enter, the Warlock turns to face you. "You are fortunate to have finally pierced the seawall when you did. I just finished my experiments for the day. Why have you come? I rarely get visitors from beyond the color veil, particularly those of such... mixed company."

13. - Top - End - #133

At those words, Kuekemon abandons his animal form to stand upright as a gnoll. He doesn't really plan on contributing much to the conversation, but at the very least he ought to have the use of his own voice should the occasion present itself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kuekemon is going to watch and listen for the time-being.

Insight - (1d20+23)[32]
    Perception - (1d20+28)[48]

14. - Top - End - #134

We have come seeking certain information. We are hoping that given your extensive arcane research, that you might be able to assist us.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+19)[27]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Patrick O'Connell

Standing quietly a few paces behind Allys, Pat nods in agreement with her words. "We understand that you know many things, and we hope that you might be willing to share some of that knowledge, to help with what we seek.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+16)[22]

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #136

Mathas

Arms folded beneath his cloak wrapped tightly around him, Mathas moves behind Allys and nods as she speaks. Taking position behind her much like any counselor would do for their primary diplomat.

Spoiler
    Show

Aid Another: Diplomacy - (1d20+13)[17] for Allys
    Mathas is basically here should Allys have questions or perhaps speak only if he can think of a particular question. Otherwise expect him to be aiding Allys.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

The warlock gestures you towards the table on the more well-furnished side of the room, inviting, "Please, sit. I may be able to help you, though my studies have mainly focused on my own... difficulties. What is it you seek? The problem of lifting an infernal and divine curse like the one that has long held the Tiefling races in its sway has lead me to gain insights into many different topics, so even if it isn't my area of expertise I may know something, or know someone who does."

18. - Top - End - #138

Kuekemon moves to sit, his familiar spirit curling up at his feet in the form of a wolf. He keeps quiet, not having anything in particular to add to the conversation.

19. - Top - End - #139

OldWizardGuy

Korgan

Initially silent, Korgan speaks up once the group is seated. We appreciate the hospitality, he says. And I realize you've got more pressing concerns, so I'll get to the point. We seek a ritual. One rumored to be able to catalyze a mortal's ascension to godhood. Anything come to mind? Perhaps your experiments strayed toward those who already possess some measure of a divine spark at one point or another. Pausing for a moment, he adds It's been my experience that those of us who choose the adventurer's path are perceived as an eclectic bunch, since our physical appearances do often vary. But we all have something in common, some part of our souls that seeks something more than forty acres and a mule. That much you must understand, no? You're a legend, yourself. How varied were your companions over the years before you devoted yourself to your experiments here?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ascending to full divinity? Most demigods are satisfied with the lesser power that they become once they complete their apotheisis. Still..." the warlock ponders for a moment, then brightens and continues with a canny smile on his face. "Most priests believe that the Raven Queen was a mortal who slew the old God of Death and took his power. This isn't quite true; she was a mortal, and did die and enter the Realm of the Dead as the stories tell, but she wasn't just mortal when she died. I happen to have a volume that tells the true story; a history, in fact, written by one of the survivors from the newborn Goddess's old domain from before she ascended."

He stands and walks over to the bookshelves, running his fingers along their spines until he comes to a set of nine identical tomes, bound in pale, supple leather. He taps the last one before turning back to the table. "The book is of course very rare. Unique as far as I know. I don't believe even Ioun has a copy. I could give it to you, but of course you would have to give me something of equal value in return." He indicates the books that he had fingered before, continuing, "These make up one of the copies of the old... 'contract,' shall we call them? between Bael Turath and Asmodeus. The contracts were signed, modified, and resigned many times over generations. Ten volumes were written up by the end. As you see, I possess only nine; I'm missing volume three. No complete set is known to exist outside the Hells themselves, but copies have been made of each tome. If you could acquire one for me, I would be endlessly grateful. Do you understand my meaning, oh 'eclectic bunch'?"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Patrick O'Connell

I believe I understand, the white-haired man says softly, nodding. I would be happy to assist in...acquiring what you need.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #142

Allys
    I, too, would, be willing to acquire it for you. Do you have any leads on where we should first look?

23. - Top - End - #143

OldWizardGuy

Korgan

Other than the hells? There must be a few marketplaces that could provide us a lead. Anywhere we'd be likely to look that isn't Hestavar? Korgan thinks to himself as well, poring over his memory for places where one might find goods of a less-than-holy nature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana - (1d10+16)[22] to think of any fun and exciting extraplanar marketplaces that might contain a lead on an incredibly rare Infernal tome
    Last edited by Nahal; 2009-05-26 at 08:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Duskmoon laughs, obviously delighted that you'd agree to help him. "I doubt it would be for sale anywhere; I have agents around most of the major cities looking for a copy to show up, but none have. I suppose someone in Sigil might have it. That place is easy to get spies into, but difficult to get information out of, or at least anything accurate.

I've scoured every ruin from old Turath I could find on the mortal plane, and it's reflection in the realm of the Fey as well. There might be some forgotten library on the Shadowfell that holds a copy of one or two of the volumes, and it would probably survive there, though... Well, you may have noticed that they're bound in human skin. I suspect that any you find there might bite.

If anywhere outside the Hells would have the book... I hesitate to suggest it, because all that I have learned of it says that it is far too dangerous for one of my ilk, but you may find it less dangerous. It is a long-lost, long-hidden planar bubble known as Apocrypha, reachable through any book. This plane is said to take the form of an endless library, where every book ever written can be found, inhabited by spirits who are trapped by their own lust for knowledge. I myself seek knowledge, so I fear being ensnared by it, but if you have no other choice and cannot find it anywhere else, I will teach you how to go there, and allow you to use one of the volumes of the contract that I already possess to enter. It may be that entering through a particular book will take you to near other, similar books within the library itself. It's theoretically possible that you might even appear within arm's reach of the missing volume, though, again, I would not recommend trying."

25. - Top - End - #145

OldWizardGuy

Korgan

Books never held any serious draw for me, Korgan responds, though I've never held anything against them. Personally I think Apocrypha sounds like fun. Anyone have a differing opinion?

26. - Top - End - #146

Mathas

Mathas looks at Duskmoon inquisitively at the mention of his goddess. As his companions begin to agree to retrieve the foul book of binding. However the promise of receiving a book that details the ascension of his own goddess intrigues him far more.
    I must meditate and pray to the Raven Queen. She must be made aware of this book.
    Mathas nods in agreement with the others before looking at them, "I am most interested in reading this Lord Duskmoon posses. Apocrypha sounds like a good place to start."

27. - Top - End - #147

The gnoll, having kept himself quiet and unobtrusive during the exchange, bares his canines in a long grin and taps his claws against the wood of his chair.

If those who seek knowledge from books become trapped, Kuekemon need fear nothing. What might books teach him that the spirits cannot? He looks out of the corner of his eyes at his companions, barely turning his muzzle. We are decided?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

The warlock frowns at your apparent eagerness to put yourselves in danger, but nevertheless sighs "Well then, I suppose we should get to teaching you the ritual you'll need. It's the same to escape from the library, though the stories I've heard of those who have left that place say that they found themselves someplace other than where they entered. One sage suggested that leaving would take someone to where the book they used to escape was written, or where it referred to, or something else about it that was unknown, so I cannot really say much about it."

The ritual is surprisingly simple, and in less than in hour those of you who know how to cast rituals have it mastered, with the components for both the travel there and the return trip arranged, and, just in case, your Skiff retrieved from the keep's harbor. As you are making final preperations, Duskmoon bids you farewell, saying, "I do not know what exactly you will find in the library of Apocrypha, so be very careful there. The spirits haven't ever been reported attacking anyone who escaped, but at the same time, it could be that no one who they have attacked have survived. I have only one suggestion: silence in the Library."

29. - Top - End - #149

Allys

Truly, Sir, we greatly appreciate your hospitality and your advice. Thank your assistance

Allys then returns to working on preparing the ritual.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Patrick O'Connell

I thank you as well, kind sir. Your assistance has been of the greatest help to us, and I hope that we will soon be able to return safe and in possession of the book you seek.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew