New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: God-Kings of Lotus

Ivory Eyes can feel the sick green heat of Ligier's fire in a way that burns her to the bone: she can not see, but she knows his presence, the acrid scent of his unholy flame. She knows she much do something more to engage him, but her wits are pressed with the work of his banishment. She searches her mind, and her memory darts madly across the battlefield: what was here before her sight was scorched? She opens herself to the Terrestrials, wounded or dying. She listens for Yomiko's blade as it sings in the air and Zephyr's bravado as he blitz the Green Sun.

Oh, she thinks, and suddenly the knife twists a little inside her heart and a twinge of something springs forth for Zephyr's safety foremost, but also for Yomiko and for Echo and the Watcher and Konoko and all life on the Blessed Isle. She gestures below, whispers a paen to Gaia for strength and the Sun for glory, and motions wickedly towards Ligier, driving the shards of her anima ever closer. They circle his hands and his arms and his neck like shackles of light. They press closer, poised to bind and banish if only she has the strength to...

Spoiler
    Show

Compassion channel.
    (15d10)[10][8][7][7][9][2][10][8][6][2][10][4][4][5][10](102)

Health:
    [ ] -0
    [ ][ ][ ][ ] -1
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] -2
    [ ] -4
    [ ] Incapacitated

Essence ●●●●●
    Personal 0/21
    Peripheral 4/48
    Glory 0/10
    Committed: 3 Peripheral

Willpower 2/6

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Troll in the Playground

Ivory Eyes's spell flares with blue light as compassion wells up in her heart, the faces of all those she has come to know and love appearing in opalescent reflections within the light she has unleashed. As Ligier's might all but overcomes her, she shrinks back...but the sun still shines in its setting, and she stands on good green earth. With every breath, she can feel the shape of the world, the essence of the sun raining down on her and the essence of the earth rising up to meet her, and with this vision beyond all mortal vision, she sees a Creation that will not abide Ligier. She makes the Victory Over Primordials Mudra one final time, and there is a nova of indigo from within her eyes, and Ligier falls.

Ligier's shape seems to slough away from him, essence-born flesh unwoven and unmade until all that remains is his heart, the Mad Green Sun itself. And as Ivory Eyes gives the final mote of essence that will drive Ligier back down into Hell, she hears a voice, vast and pandemonic. It is a voice that encompasses all within its ominous resonance, the voice of a thing more than a god, more than a world. It is not Ligier's voice that speaks, but the voice of something far greater, far beyond, far more terrible. Malfeas speaks.

"YOU FOOLISH CHILD! TO THINK THAT YOU WOULD TRIUMPH OVER I, THE KING OF HELL, BY MY OWN SORCERY? THIS IS A GIFT, IVORY EYES. IT COMES WITH A PRICE."

And Ivory Eyes knows what she must do.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-11-05 at 06:42 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

3. - Top - End - #1173

Ivory Eyes flutters down on the power of her own wings until she hovers beside the Green Sun, head tilted. She raises her hand, two fingers and thumb together, and taps her throat: a burst of light from her fifth chakra, and she holds a thin globe of mist and sound. When she speaks, it's a strange whisper, a raspy noise like a dying snake.

"You are wrong. And maimed. And powerless. It was never a gift; it was a trap. Did as many fall as you'd hoped? How many Lunars and Sidereals leveraged their soul for the gift? How many Terrestrials? I sacrifice sacrifice--and I will never give to you again. This was my voice," she says, holding up the sphere. "And it shall fill your ears until eternity, Malfeas. It will whisper my happiness at your doom. Now begone, Green Sun! You'll have no more lambs from me."

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Troll in the Playground

There is no sound now, no light, nothing in Ivory Eyes's heart except triumph. The Green Sun before her rises into the sky, growing with fulminating incandescent essence as it ascends until it all but eclipses the setting sun...and it rises even with the Daystar, it shatters. An overwhelming cascade of broken demonic power falls upon the Blessed Isle, a rippling wave of unseen, unseeable light that encompasses the whole of Creation's heart. And as it falls to ground, rays of alien essence touching the most sacred soil in the world, it finds itself ground by the all-imposing majesty of the Imperial Mountain, elemental earth itself subsuming the poison that was Ligier. Victory.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Troll in the Playground

Her heart beats in her ears as she swings through the silence that consumes her, her soul only licked with essence as the gold and red fire now consumes her body instead. She swings the massive blade down at where Ligier stands, but watches as the body fades from view. No! The Shining Bodhisattva rages from beneath Yomiko's soul. No! I was to purge it! I WAS TO PURGE IT! She screams wordlessly, the deep bellow of the warstrider's voice overwhelming her own as her weapon only hewed solid earth.
    She lifted it from the ground and began to swing it to both sides in a blind fury. It struck earth again and she tore it out in a rain of dirt and stone, a third strike into the ground and another furious rain. Her fourth and final strike is deep and piercing, shoving the blade deep enough to have it stand on it's own. The warstrider leaves the weapon behind and crawls over on all fours, still bellowing and belching red fire from the 'striders eyes and mouth.
    She slammed the massive body of the beast forward, catching itself on both hands just above Konoko who had landed too far away for the Invincible Maiden to have seen. The chest-plate of the armor opens with a terrible creaking sound and the woman inside struggles to tear herself free from the countless leather straps and Orichalcum braces. Her naked body falls from the armor and into the soil without even the slightest semblance of grace and she crawls over to her daughter who rests on one knee. She is covered in the same red and gold fire but she embraces Konoko and weeps loudly, tears falling from her eyes. She whispers and cries to her, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I didn't think, I wasn't thinking, Konoko, I'm so sorry." Her voice is strained at best.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Troll in the Playground

Konoko hugs her mother tightly, uncertain how to comfort the Lawgiver. She looks up into the priestess's eyes, a broad smile beaming. "No! I'm the daughter of the Invincible Maiden Yomiko, remember? Ligier couldn't even hit me, not when I moved like you do. See? I'm just bruised, and that's the best he could do." As the little girl grins, Yomiko's heart is soothed to see that she truly is unharmed, not a drop of blood drawn from her. "Come on, Mom. We still need to help everyone."

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Barbarian in the Playground

Watcher

'Such rage,' Watcher can't help but think as he watches the warstrider attack the earth. He didn't know how deep Yomiko's love for Konoko went, this much was true, but it just seemed wrong. As if her actions were not entirely her own. 'Probably something that we should look into once we get back.'

Moving swiftly, he heads over to the mother/daughter pair, removing and throwing his cloak over Yomiko's exposed flesh, revealing the golden sheen of his armor that is usually hidden. There would be others coming to investigate now that the Infernal was no more, and it not do for anyone to see them like this.

"We should leave." his whispering voice cutting easily through the post-battle stillness. "Now."
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

8. - Top - End - #1178

Ivory stands, still and silent in the wake of the Green Sun's flight. Any who gaze on her eyes note immediately that they have turned jet black, scoured and scorched by Ligier's brilliance.

"Whispering Heaven," Ivory says, and her sharp rasp cuts through the air like a knife, beckoning the Sidereal forward. "Please remind me why Heaven could not intervene. Where is Ayesha Ura? Where is Chejop Kejak? Where are the Orichalcum Lions? If we had not intervened, Ligier may well have leveled this entire island. Millions of lives, and still Heaven stays it's hand." She looks ahead, embracing blindness, freedom from meeting the gaze of others. She speaks now to Whispering Heavens alone, reducing her already-faint rasp to a severe whisper: "Inform Ayesha Ura that this is it. If O-Bankai will not treat with me, then I shall spend next Calibration Elsewhere. I understand now why Autocthon left. It is terrifying to be alone when surrounded by so many."
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2009-11-05 at 07:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Troll in the Playground

She shakes her head, still weeping silently into her daughter's shoulder. She pulls back a bit so Watcher can hear her. Her eyelids are still closed tight with tears still pouring from them. She puts up an effort to speak loud enough to be heard, "No. Not yet... there's so much harm done here. I... have to do something first."
    She begins to mutter in her native tongue, one she suspects of all people nearby only her daughter, herself and Sol Invictus know. She attempts to be as elegant and flattering as she can with her words to The Sun, begging for wounds to be healed, seeing the face of her daughter in her mind and feeling another tug at her heart.

Spoiler
    Show
    Praying for healing, Willpower to channel Compassion.

(12d10)[3][1][8][1][8][9][7][5][8][1][8][1](60)
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-11-05 at 07:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Troll in the Playground

As Yomiko's prayer, humble and brief, rises up to Heaven, their is a glint of gold in the sky, a flickering scintilla of orichalcum amidst the violets and pinks of twilight. As you look to windward, the golden beam seems to bound towards you, a radiant spear of light coming down to pierce the Blessed Isle's heart. And finally it hits, a wave of golden that rushes over all of you. Where the sun's rays touch bruises, they fade; where they touch bleeding wounds, they mend; where they touch eyes blinded before the awful might of Ligier, they see once more. All around you, soldiers–no, not just soldiers, Dragon-Blooded–find the strength to rise, slowly dragging themselves up only to find that they are hale and uninjured. It is the righteous answer of the Unconquered Sun's catechism, and it is merciful. Yomiko feels the sun's presence at her heart, a wordless warmth that fills her with unquestionable, unconquerable conviction. Here and now she has done good, and for the moment, one bright and shining moment, she can rest sure in it. All of you can.

Whispering Heaven attends upon Ivory Eyes, a Vizier in heart and spirit. "I will not mince words with you, Ivory Eyes. Heaven has no help to offer, because there is no Heaven, not as you speak. There is Chejop Kejak, and White Lotus, and the Rightful Sagacious Bride, and there are the daimyos and shoguns, the Divisions and Bureaus, but there is no center, no whole. There is no Sidereal who alone could stand against the Green Sun, not even the Elder Oracle, and there are no two elders that can surpass their own petty visions to stand together against him." There is no apology in his voice, only newfound disgust. Every insinuation, every ill undertone that has ever hidden beneath his voice as he speaks of Heaven and the Fellowship is now cast out before you, flagrant as the resplendent peacock. "But I will not carry your message to the Lady Ura. I am returning to Heaven, Lady Ivory Eyes, and I will not return to you, save that I carry O-Bankai in chains. Your justice will be denied no longer."

11. - Top - End - #1181

Ivory Eyes sighs: everything she ever wanted, and she must be the one to delay it.

"I'm afraid we have bigger issues," she says as she recalls her storm, raising into the sky where before she had only just hovered above. "And miles more to go before we can truly rest. Vega and Iulus spoke, at first, of plans for the Blessed Isle. This must be the same...and were I an Infernal, there would be but a single place I would go. By day's end, we must hold the Sword of Creation, or Hell will."

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr shrank - might as his fists were, they were nothing next to the steel will of his Solar mate. As she finished, he moved to stand next to her, in his human form once more. He bowed before her, low and reverent, as if he were bowing before Luna herself. His eyes met her, and he smiled - a strangely gentle expression on the barbarian Lunar's savage, handsome face. He whispered quietly, a soft chuckle in his voice.

"And you wonder, Ivory Eyes, why I love you so. If only you could see yourself in the mirrors of my eyes." He sighed, shaking his head a little, as he turned and looked out over the battlefield, his voice growing from a gentle whisper to a mighty bellow.

"See this, children of the dragon? See the rising of the Unconquered Sun. See the glories of his favored children? When your own would not save you, when the darkness of Malfeas' shadow fell upon you, who came to your aid like the breaking of the dawn? None, but those whom your ancestors betrayed and cast down! See how your sovereigns love creation so! See how they sacrifice for you without hope of reward! Look upon the children of the Exalted Sun, O children of the dragon, and know that those who you call anathema still defend Creation from its enemies, even as you revile them. See those who your Immaculates would call enemies and ask yourself: Who are your true foes, Princes of the Earth?"

Zephyr threw back his head and laughed, lifting his hands up to meet the dawn. Child of Luna he might be, but the warmth of Sol felt good on his skin. Victory was theirs. He looked at his companions with a wry grin.

"Hmph. I was all but useless there. I see I shall have to work harder than ever to keep up with you, dearest companions. Even you shame me with your prowess, little Yomiko."

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Troll in the Playground

As Zephyr speaks unto the newly-risen Dragon-Blooded, there are many things in their eyes. Hatred, fear, certainly, for it is not so swiftly that the shackles of one's past are overthrown, and the Anathema have been horrors for years beyond mortal memory, even Dynastic memory. But that is not all. Every soldier standing knows what has happened here, knows who and what has saved them, and their eyes are not thankless. As their commander returns to the battlefield, striding side by side with Rising Echo, the light that glints within their eyes is hope.

"Vermillion Legion, fall in." she commands, her voice louder than her slight frame would tell. The women and men on the battlefield obey in the instant, coming together form a mass column at the Dragon-Blood's back. She and Rising Echo come to where Ivory Eyes and Zephyr stand, the warlord facing them both without malice or deference. "Tepet Ejava, Legion General of the Realm. Is the demon defeated?"

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr offered his hand to the Roseblack in a warrior's handshake. "Zephyr Scales-of-War. Silver Dragon of Lotus, Exalted of blessed Luna. Yes, 'twas we who felled Ligier - though I can take little credit for the act. It was mainly thanks to my companions that the demon was banished back to Malfeas. You and your men fought well - I only regret that we could not arrive sooner to lend aid."

He gave the woman a long, steady look. "So what now, Ejava of Tepet? I have no urge to make this a battlefield once more - enoug have died already. But can you permit Anathema to walk the Blessed Isle?" he asked. There was a touch of humor on his face, but his words were deadly serious.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Troll in the Playground

The Roseblack seems ill-disposed for Zephyr's quips. "Anathema, Immaculate. I'm the women with the sword. If the demon has been banished, then we have to stop Mnemon–she and her student had set out into the bowels of the Imperial Manse, to try and find a way to use it against the fiend. I have no love for her, but I won't see her die in that dragon-forsaken place." She speaks as if assuming you already know of the Realm's most secret weapon, and of the sorceress-daughter of the Scarlet Queen–perhaps the Dragon-Blooded still remember their rightful place before the Lawgivers, after all? "I intend to march straight into that dungeon and save her, if I must. So what of you? Do you intend to come with me, or have you other games to keep yourselves amused?"
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-11-06 at 09:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr bristled in turn, his eyes growing hard. "Games? Hmph. It is the Dragon-Blooded who play games while creation burns around them, Tepet Ejava. I have seen this - I spent half a lifetime playing a part for their amusement. But this Mnemon. She seeks the Imperial Manse? No, we will not let her die there, either. I offer you a truce, if my circle-mates will agree to it, until we have resolved this." Zephyr smiled wide.

But why bother marching when you can fly? An army will be no use in the Manse, if what little I know if it is true. If you will come with us, I can bear you, if you've a need.

17. - Top - End - #1187

"You can bear her, or I can," Ivory says. "My Stormwind can deliver us to the Manse in just over half a day, Tepet Ejava. Choose now, or we will proceed without you: there are greater demons still afoot, and if they claim the Sword...Ligier will be unveiled for what he was: a small distraction."

The sorceress raises her arms and whistles and winds life her aloft, and Zephyr too--she invites him first into the ensorceled storm, reaching out a hand to offer him entrance. It's a small moment as she telegraphs kindness, then turns stone faced to the Terrestrial general.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

The Full-Moon took his mate's hand, accepting it with a smile of thanks, then turning in askance to the Dragonblood, giving her a seeking look. "There you have it: Will you come with us, Ejava?"

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Troll in the Playground

There is an ever-so-slight grin on the Roseblack's face. "A Stormwind Rider? So you could take my entire legion with us. I like that plan." She turns back to her troops, addressing them with a quick bark. "Rest easy your feet, Dragons, for tonight, we march on Heaven!" She stretches a hand up to Ivory Eyes, a carefully polite gesture. "Shall we fly, sorceress?" A cannonade of cheering erupts from the men behind her, a soaring roar of pride for their commander, the Dragon-Blood with the courage to look up to even the Lawgivers as equals.

20. - Top - End - #1190

"We fly," Ivory says. She does not take Ejava's hand, but rather raises her hand in pale immitation of the Victory-Over-Primordials Mudra. The winds rise and expand: the small globe that surrounded Ivory and Zephyr bloats instantly and Tepet Ejava, her legion, and the rest of their circle rises into the air.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Troll in the Playground

Once more the God-Kings, and now their new-found entourage, rise up into the air on winds of spell and sorcery, this time destined for the heart of the Realm itself, the Imperial City–and at its center, secret heart of the heart, the Imperial Manse, that inauspicious relic of the Age of Dreams, from which the Scarlet Empress once unleashed power to conquer all Creation. And so you fly downriver, the whirlwind keeping above the margin of the marmoreal clouds–Ivory Eyes knows better than to risk being sighted by the countless host of Dragon-Blooded in the city below, the very hearth of the Immaculate Order and the Wyld Hunt. And so it is that Ivory Eyes brings her spellwind to a half, after a few hours flight, dead above the center of the city, so high upon the azure firmament of the sky as to be unseen by even the scarlet ibises that fly among the thin breezes.

"We'll need to find somewhere to cache the warstrider, of course." Roseblack suggests, presuming to discuss strategy even with you. "That shouldn't be too hard; the entire city sought sanctum as soon word of the demon was spread. The Palace itself will still be adamant with guards, but the outskirts should be deserted. We ought leave it in one of the valleys, just a few hours' walk from the city. I have fangs enough to guard it. And then, of course, we have to find a way into the Manse itself." For all the confidence that shines through in her voice, there is the slightest quaver at the last sentence–Ejava has no idea how to penetrate the heart of the Realm alone, let alone with a circle of Anathema.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko speaks quietly, strangely enough for her and does not speak immediately. She pauses and finally looks at the Terrestrial, "Warstrider. Yes. Hiding it would be ideal. Thank you." She seems to barely pay attention to the situation around her, and is only focused on the world that stands directly beside her and holds a Jade-clad arm about her. Watcher's black shroud hangs around her loosely and flecks of dirt still stick to her face, though everyone around her is more likely to see the aura of gold light that slowly fades from her body. "...Whatever we do, I want Konoko to be kept safe from harm." She seems to address only her circle with the last statement, and they being the closest to her save her daughter, they can hear the faintest hint of desperation in her somewhat bedraggled voice.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded, giving Yomiko a confident smile. "We shall make sure she's safe. And we will make it into the heart of the manse. I have not come so far to be stopped by mere stone and jade." The Lunar said with supreme confidence radiating from every fiber of his being.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Troll in the Playground

With the grace of Ivory's whirling winds, it is a matter of mere minutes to leave the warstrider behind, concealed within the misty recess of a deep valley, some dozens of Dragon-Blooded guarding it with loyalty unquestionable. Young Konoko stays behind with her mother's armor, sitting safe and secure in the core of the golden titan. With such matters taken care of, Ivory Eyes finally returns the band of seven–the God-Kings, Whispering Heaven, and Ejava–to the Imperial City's skies. The Imperial Manse lies in plain sight below, a squat tower of eternal marble, golden claws stretching up from the corners of its black jade roof to grasp at the sky. Before its towering door of black jade stands an honor guard of some dozen Dragon-Bloods, though surely such are little vanguard against you–or against whatever Hell would send to claim Creation's Sword.

25. - Top - End - #1195

Ivory turns to Ejava: "It would be too much to hope that you could order them to step aside?" she asks in her new, smoky rasp. "Well then. Yomiko. Convince them to step aside."

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko looks at Ivory Eyes, then at the guard that stands in their path. "I would like it that Lady Ejava accompanied me. A such honorable mistress at my side would mean little effort to get through, I suspect." She looks at Ejava and puts on a smile. Again, everyone who knows her sees a falsehood in her smile.

The Invincible Maiden and the Terrestrial walk up the Black Jade steps and when the guards still stand firm before them, Yomiko bows. The borrowed clothing seems to cling slightly too tight, revealing minor bits of flesh as she does. When she stands back up, she holds her palms together and up to her chest, still wearing a smile. "Good ladies and gentlemen, I commend you on your adamant protection of this incredible Manse. However, we require access to it immediately." her smile fades, and becomes one of more natural worry. "Creatures of unnatural nature... creatures twisted by the bowels of Hell are threatening us in ways we are barely aware of. We've faced one demon thus far... I pray for us all we need not have to face another." She tries to make it painstakingly clear in her voice that the last statement was not a threat, but a warning and filled with concern for not only their safety, but the safety of all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sinking 8 motes into the initial attack for Presence Excellency.
    Cha+Presence: (16d10)[5][5][9][1][1][10][1][9][4][1][6][4][8][6][1][8](79)

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Troll in the Playground

The foremost pair of the vanguard comes up before Yomiko, crossing a pair of jade glaives as if to block her way. The younger of the pair, a snarling man with black-tinged skin, rebukes not the Invincible Maiden, but Ejava. "Roseblack, I don't know what you want, but you'll not set foot in the Imperial Manse, cur. I'd as soon see you inc–" But he is cut off by the heavy hand of one of his comrades, a Dynast with deep strokes of age wrinkling his brow, belying the nigh-immortality of his exaltation. "Jakan, shut up." he whispers in the young Exalt's ear, taking care that all of you can hear him. The shamed guard lowers his blade and moves back, abashed despite his military bearing.

"The Vermillion Legion was sent to head off the demon king." he announces, to no one in particular. "If General Tepet is here, then it means she is triumphant. Now, if her allies would enter the Imperial Manse to try and stop more of the Yozi-spawn, it'd be a damn fool thing to stop them." He withdraws, heading to the doors of the manse, the black jade slab barred against all ingress...save that it lies open, pried from its locks and wards by whatever force Mnemon brought to bear against it. A rod of jade props open the gateway, keeping it from slamming shut and locked–and with a heave of force, the Dynast levers open the doors, exposing the entrance of the manse, a high-arched hallway, walled with white jade. The Imperial Manse lies open.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko smiles again and bows to the aged Dragonblooded, bowing exceptionally low this time. "Your compliance and courtesy will never be forgotten." She stands up, pecks the old man on the cheek and continues on into the Manse, trying to tell herself she'll be ready for what comes.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko and Ejava step over the Imperial Threshold, their footsteps resounding against the white jade floor with a note of ominous portent. As the two enter into the secret heart of the Realm, followed by the remainder of the circle. The entrance hallway is short, only some few yards, and entirely anodyne–disappointing, compared to the legends of dire dangers within the secret manse, known to all in Realm and Threshold. And then you notice the needles. Needles of black jade delicately embedded in the tiles of the walls and ceilings, their orichalcum tip just barely piercing the jade tiles. Beneath every needle smolders a half-visible spume of light, or a dwindled violet flame, or a congeries of flesh-warping essence. Looking back, you see needles pinned into the roof as well, suppressing just as many inauspicious hints of magic. "At least she made it this far." mutters Roseblack, surveying her sister's wake. "Spell-Killing Needles. Don't touch them, you'll probably trigger the traps." she says–as if you need such instruction.

Coming to the end of the tunnel, you find a low jade door lying half-open. Gingerly stepping through it, you find yourselves on a balcony, overlooking a deep spacious foyer–and, more to the point, a deep spacious foyer filled with all manner of deathtraps! Foot-long spikes rise up from the floor, whirling blades swing out from hidden slots within the walls, ranging essence cannons scan the room, swarms of copper bees disperse like a cloud of copper bees! And yet, perhaps even more impressive than the perfunctory outer defenses are Mnemon's methods of disarming them. The sorceress is one renowned for her mastery of demonology, and she has not disappointed. Every spike rising up from the ground is carpeted by the massive body of a blood ape, self-impaled so as to provide a foot-bridge over the sharp-tipped needles. The swinging blades are weighed down by anuhles, dozens of demon-spiders clinging to each razor-edged pendumlum and trapping it within its wall-niche. The essence cannons are surrounded by the charred bodies of luminata, still-wriggling flesh wrapping around their barrels, preventing the deadly blasts from piercing through. Even the deadly deadly brazen bees have been disarmed, caught within the horrific gelationous bodies of the zeteny.

And in the midst of it all stands a high statue of orichalcum, a monument to Ignis Divine, the Unconquered Sun. He holds up high the spear and shield, the laurel and horn, as if in blessing. At the statue's feet simmers a tall Dragon-Blood sorceress of middle-age, arrayed in incarnadine robes and crowned with a tiara of white jade. Mnemon. Her hands are raised high in crooked mudras not unfamiliar to Ivory Eyes, cast through every station of sorcery in quick succession–to no avail. To her side stands a young mortal, smoke fuming and rising from the silver censer he swings. He makes a pathetic face, ill-suited to the travails of the Imperial Manse. Mnemon does not turn as you enter the room, not hearing your arrival, or else too caught up in her sorcery to be distracted.

30. - Top - End - #1200

Ivory Eyes is the one who steps forward at this point, mildly confident that even if Mnemon's tenuous grasp on the manse's traps should fail that some failsafe would be enacted if only she flared her anima. Hopefully.

"Please, continue the Violent Opening of Closed Portals. Perhaps there is a window in some mortal shed a few hundred yards hence that may yet prove pliable to your spells."