Chapter One: Under the Cover of Night

Alas for the bright cup!
    Alas for the mailed warrior!
    Alas for the splendour of the prince!
    How that time has passed away,
    dark under the cover of night,
    as if it had never been!

--The Wanderer

Your approach to stone was slow-going. The snow was knee-deep in places, and the drifts were waist-deep or higher. Snow shoes were essential to keep moving, and even so, wading through the drifts was exhausting work. The dense forests of fir and pine swayed in the stiff wind. The nights were pierced by wolf cries.

On the final night before your arrival, you found it prudent to camp in a dense grove of trees just West of Stone. Traveling by night was dangerous in the foothills of God's Teeth. As the sun set, you heard what could only have been a large caravan being attacked by wolves. You could make out what seemed like hundreds of wolf howls as well as human voices, shouting and screaming.

If you investigated, you found what was left of the caravan, about a mile from Stone, torn into pieces. Human remains littered the ground. There were no survivors. Even the horses had been mostly devoured, hooves and heads strewn on the bloody snow. There was evidence that a powerful mage had engaged in the battle. Burnt wolf carcasses and three partially burned trees ringed what could only be described as a large crater which had penetrated both the snow and the ground below. The rocks at its center were still warm when you arrived. There was no evidence of where the combatants, either wolf or human, might have gone.

You returned to your camp, sobered and on guard, deciding to head on to Stone rather than risk a night in the wilderness. Even traveling at night, you judged, would be safer than waiting for that huge pack to descend in the darkness.

You approach the town from the South-West. When you are within three hundred yards, you are hailed by the watch. A bold, deep voice orders you to approach slowly, with your hands at your sides--a common practice among towns of this size--and you do so.

Approaching the wall, you see now why it has its name. The massive, thick walls of Stone appear to have been hewn out of the living rock of a granite hill. A small portal, large enough for a single horse and rider, opens before you. A cadre of soldiers bearing strong, ashen spears question you. Your names, your purpose, your next destination, your home land, and your path toward the city are written down on parchment. They seem quite interested in your description of the lost caravan. It's too late to find proper lodgings, but the guard is willing to let you sleep in the stablehands' rooms. You're not sure where the stablehands sleep, but you're probably too tired to argue.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Darkworld Reborn! IC

Zed yawns but politely refuses the guard's offer. Its quite alright. I can manage. However, if you could point me in the direction of the spring, I would appreciate it.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Maria

As she pulls her pack and hoists the saddlebags off her horse Maria rather curtly but politely addresses the guards, "Thank you can you tell me where the Stablehands rooms are? Its been a long and hard road, I need to wash before I sleep." Still dealing with her horse she turns her head to call to Zed, "Can you wait, I'll come with once I've stabled Myrddin."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Leto gives the guard the required information but little else. He waits silently during the exchange, then follows the others. "Normally I would rather find somewhere to sleep at this hour, but I'm rather interested in this spring... We can worry about that problem later I suppose."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The night sergeant narrows his eyes. Both hands clutch his spear."An interest in the spring have ya? We'll see 'bout that, we will. The Lord mayor'd need ta know 'bout ya."

The other seven guards take a battle stance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, so we're all looking for the spring then? Zed answers Maria's comment. When the guards take their stances, Zed seems unphased. Oh? This spring must be something for you lot to be so defensive about it. ... Well I supposed I could wait till tomorrow to speak with your mayor about it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Make sure to roll checks in your message in order to do whatever it is you're trying to do. It'll speed things up. I'm assuming Zed's trying some diplomacy?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Maria

As the guards lower their weapons Maria stiffens, her hands stay very still, though one hovers close to the handle of her sword. "Gentlemen, I of course wish to hold by your law and respect the gracious Lord Mayor, who has employed men generous enough to help us find a place to sleep tonight." She speaks slowly and clearly, a soft and persuasive voice, "However, neither me nor my companions want to present ourselves travel worn and tired. If we cannot do so first thing tomorrow morning then could we at least wash and put away our baggage first?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Leto falls into a relaxed stance, with his weight perfectly balanced. He makes sure to keep his hands visable at all times and away from weapons, but he is ready to move in an instant. Leto knows this is the time to let his more glib companions handle things and hopefully this doesn't come to violence.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The guards seem to relax a little when their sergeant straightens his knees and lets one hand fall to his side.

If you're lucky, you'll see the Lord Mayor tomorrow. For now, I'd advise you to take the the quarters we offered. I guess you don't realize...we lock things down pretty tight at night.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Maria

Maria nods and slowly lowers her hands, Of course, I understand a very wise safety measure. In that case, may we stable our horses, get ourselves out of your way and go and rest." Maria continues to try and sound as dull and reasonable as possible.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Understandable...Well then, if you would be so kind as to show us to these quarters you spoke of.