New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Thinkomancers for free?

Mages stick up for one another in magic kingdom? Charlie paying?

Why were the 4 thinkomancers free?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Thinkomancers for free?

Quote Originally Posted by multilis View Post
    Why were the 4 thinkomancers free?
    It is implied that Sizemore has made alot of friends in the magic kingdom.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

My impression was that the thinkamancer was just intrigued by the situation and so decided not to charge for something that he wanted to do anyway. Similar to how someone might not charge you for a ride if they were going to the same place anyway. Although Sizemore's reputation obviously probably didn't hurt the situation. The thinkamancer definitely knew who he was.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudbreaker View Post
    My impression was that the thinkamancer was just intrigued by the situation and so decided not to charge for something that he wanted to do anyway. Similar to how someone might not charge you for a ride if they were going to the same place anyway. Although Sizemore's reputation obviously probably didn't hurt the situation. The thinkamancer definitely knew who he was.
    My feeling was that there was a feeling of professional fraternity at work here. Another Thinkamancer was involved, after all. Additionally, Sizemore is known to have dabbled in all forms of magic and this is consistent with the fact that two casters, in addition to the Grand Abbess, recognized who he was.

One caster is mildly scandalized by the whole thing and is promptly told not to say it too loudly. It's clear that casters think that this is a breach of privacy and that it's widely understood what the risks of a mental alloy are. So a part of it must at least be a form of professional ethics.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2009-04-19 at 10:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Since only hippiemancers have ever accepted Rand as payment, and Sizemore was rather free with what he had, I figured that Rand were only used by/valuable to hippiemancers.

Thus, when Janis offered payment, it was either desperate or character-building, and when the thinkamancers declined the payment, it was a statement of "Don't bother."

If you consider that a Rand might be like a piece of bubblegum, that some people might want a lot but most are rather indifferent to, my theory might become clearer.
    Tardy Elves FTW!
    I was thinking of a policy of "Uncroak now, disinter later". - Me

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Decius View Post
    Since only hippiemancers have ever accepted Rand as payment, and Sizemore was rather free with what he had, I figured that Rand were only used by/valuable to hippiemancers.

Thus, when Janis offered payment, it was either desperate or character-building, and when the thinkamancers declined the payment, it was a statement of "Don't bother."

If you consider that a Rand might be like a piece of bubblegum, that some people might want a lot but most are rather indifferent to, my theory might become clearer.
    The fact that we've only seen the hippiemancer accept rands as payment doesn't mean anything, because she's the only one in the magic realm we've seen accepting payment at all. I could be completely wrong about the reference, but when I see "Rand" I think of Ayn Rand, certainly not something I'd expect to be associated with hippies, let alone exclusively with hippies.

Why free thinkamancers? Well, remember what happened to Misty, these links are dangerous when broken. That's why the hippiemancer was willing to pay so much, and also why the thinkamancers were willing to do it pro bono. Sizemore was a friend of the hippiemancer, and was at least known to the thinkamancer, probably his friend too.

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    One caster is mildly scandalized by the whole thing and is promptly told not to say it too loudly. It's clear that casters think that this is a breach of privacy and that it's widely understood what the risks of a mental alloy are. So a part of it must at least be a form of professional ethics.
    I thought he was silenced because of the danger of addressing linked casters as individuals. Saying Sizemore's name could have broken the link. The fact that he follows with "And yes, it is" suggests that privacy has nothing to do with it. It's saying the name, not asking the question, that's the problem.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bogardan_Mage View Post
    I thought he was silenced because of the danger of addressing linked casters as individuals. Saying Sizemore's name could have broken the link. The fact that he follows with "And yes, it is" suggests that privacy has nothing to do with it. It's saying the name, not asking the question, that's the problem.
    Oh nice, I missed that.

Personally, I believe that it's a combination of 1) casters sticking together, 2) casters linked in Magic Isle, with possible huge repercussions to the island if the link is broken accidentally, 3) Sizemore being known there, 4) Other dangers of the linking, 5) Curiosity -- they came with a Warlord, why the hell can he go through where no one should be able to? Break the link, hear the tale. Well worth it.

Me, I'm wondering if all the casters on Magic Isle are part of a Side, since they need to pay their own upkeep... might be that they count as a bunch of barbarians which also explains why they charge for their services -- often through the nose. Remember, the spell was 350k SCM, and casting 150k SCM.

Conspiracy theory #324: Maybe the Sagan guy is really Charlie ;)
    A bard, eh? What's your saving throw against things that don't get a saving throw?
    "Mourn if you must, but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don."
    "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields! Trollocs coming!"

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    Paint the chromatic dragons.
    I no longer post here due to moderator bias.