New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Speculation: new special unit for Wanda?

The foreshadowing was done pretty well -- probably uncroaked units, likely on a scale of power comparable to dwagons and devas. Stanley's Arkenhammer was described as giving him power over dwagons; Charlie's ability to pop devas seems to be heavily implied as an ability of his attuned Arkendish.

I've seen some good suggestions in the main update thread, but figured this was a worthy topic. So, starting my own speculation...

The two special units we've seen before were dramatic in their power as well as mobility. This makes me think that we'll see a new, flying uncroaked. Since Ansom was primarily melee-focused, a death knight-type of unit seems very likely. "Croak Knight" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, though. Maybe "Arkenwraith"? Alternately, "Arkenwaith" -- Erfworld has a distinct tendency to replace "L" or "R" with "W" in unit names. Examples include dwagon, gobwin, and twoll. Elves aren't subject to this, so the rule isn't absolute.

Other possibilities:
    Wevenant (snerk)
    Bwack Weavew (Stwike him, Centuwian! Fowce him woughwy to the gwound!)
    Shadow Prince (not so funny)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Speculation: new special unit for Wanda?

By "devas" do you mean Charlie's archons?

I guess uncroaked dwagons is too easy.
    Last edited by DevilDan; 2009-04-24 at 01:11 AM.
    Quo vadis?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Archons and Dwagons are very powerful but being undead usually means trading raw power for some insidious effect. Of course Erfworld being what it is I have trouble picturing a gooey black magic spewing monstrosity.

Ideas I like:
    Croaknights: Yum
    Liches: (Wiches?) Uncroaking fully functional casters sounds like win to me.
    Golems: Frankenstein esque flesh monsters. Let the stitching being at once!
    Fully uncroaked: Regular uncroaked units but without any messy decay.

Or maybe they give no units whatsoever! indeed the arkendish gives unmatched thinkamancy, so perhaps the pliers simply give an unmatched croakamancy ablity. The boosted croakamancy, by extension, creates "super" uncroaked units (stronger, smarter and or longer lasting units).
    Last edited by zz_tophat; 2009-04-24 at 02:45 AM.
    The five six star general of self promotion.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm thinking something like Nazgul. Free willed (but enslaved to Wanda), non-decomposing, just as strong as living, and imbued with the ability to uncroak dead units themselves, just not commanders.

This would be as strong as dragons/archons, keep Ansom as a functioning character in the story (but warp his loyalties to Wanda instead of Jetstone), and mesh with the wielder's basic philosophy.
    Last edited by R. Malcovitch; 2009-04-24 at 02:58 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

I expect a totally free willed and mind intact Ansom (of some other form perhaps) to emerge. Mainly, because that would make the best drama. Bringing Ansom back to be nothing more than a mindless puppet is pointless. On another note, it would suddenly demonstrate to Wanda that she is not in control of the Pliers, they control her causing a crisis of identity. That'd make a much better "twist" than OMG, she's the BBEG!
    Kasavin-

Scholar, Gamer, and Connoisseur of Web Comics

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Kasavin View Post
    I expect a totally free willed and mind intact Ansom (of some other form perhaps) to emerge. Mainly, because that would make the best drama. Bringing Ansom back to be nothing more than a mindless puppet is pointless. On another note, it would suddenly demonstrate to Wanda that she is not in control of the Pliers, they control her causing a crisis of identity. That'd make a much better "twist" than OMG, she's the BBEG!
    From what've seen, all the other tools "unlock" units with unquestionable loyalty to the tool wielder.

So we may get a thinking Ansom, but he would be compeled by the pliers to fight for Wanda with all his strenght, wich personally I think it would make an even better drama, seeing Ansom the pretty boy become Ansom the emo-boy as he cries while slaughtering his ex-allies.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by R. Malcovitch View Post
    This would be as strong as dragons/archons, keep Ansom as a functioning character in the story (but warp his loyalties to Wanda instead of Jetstone), and mesh with the wielder's basic philosophy.
    It would an interesting anti-climax for Wanda if she uncroaked him, hoping to be able to torment him that he had to serve her, and the effect of the pliers was that it created a willing slave.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    From what've seen, all the other tools "unlock" units with unquestionable loyalty to the tool wielder.
    A better comment might be ALL units have unquestionable loyalty to the chain of command. Also, the relationship between Charlie, the Archons, and the Arkendish is pretty ambiguous. The Archons might be a tribe with one of these semi-permanent alliances with Charlies. The only thing known about the Arkendish is it gives Charlies very powerful thinkamancy. Meanwhile, the Arkenhammer appears to be associated with no particular magic type. It tames Dwagons, shoots thunder, levitates, and apparently turns nuts and bats into pidgeons.

So we may get a thinking Ansom, but he would be compeled by the pliers to fight for Wanda with all his strenght, wich personally I think it would make an even better drama, seeing Ansom the pretty boy become Ansom the emo-boy as he cries while slaughtering his ex-allies.
    Ugh... what a droll scenario.

First off, Ansom deserves better than being termed "pretty boy." He was a highly accomplished Warlord who led numerous front line attacks on dangerous positions. I usualy liken his character to the Operative from Serenity (great movie, must see). He has total belief in his cause (royalty as divinely ordained keepers of Erfworld) and from this the rest of his personality, conviction, and motivation flows, his raison d'etre. Arising to discover he had lost to Stanley the Worm and Lord Hamster ought to permanently end that belief. This is a lot more interesting than the cliche of "forced to battle the ones you love."

Second, what you propose is drama much delayed. If Ansom retains free will, then we'd probably get a fight right now between a ragtag band of castors and a high level warlord. Maybe Ansom escapes vowingto raise another army (nice place for a cliffhanger). This will give subsequent books a second plotline to follow Ansom's quest to reunite with Jillian and Vinnie and end before its to late the re-emerging Gobwin Know side.

On another note, the Arkenpliers destroyed uncroaked in Ansom's hands... it could be that they have ultimate power over any uncroaked and it can only manifest itself in destruction in the hands of an unattuned weilder... or it could be that the pliers are the opposite of croackamancy and are based on "Life" magic.
    Kasavin-

Scholar, Gamer, and Connoisseur of Web Comics

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Speculation: 4 "known" arkentools.

Hammer - Dwagons
    Dish - Archons
    Pliers - [uber-undead, as discussed above]
    "Saw" - Giants (haven't seen any yet to speak of on any side - the biggest walking units seemed to be those trees and some of the golems - and one of these tools at least should have an uber, ground-based combat unit to match the air-dominating Dwagons, the casters, and the scary all-rounder I'd expect the uber-undead to be)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ya know, by itself a unit does not need to be powerful (stat-wise) to be a game-breaker.

Think of the ghosts from Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (the expansion). Stat-wise weak, but they had the ability to grow in number, one ghost for each unit they killed. Considering how many units were yet weaker than ghosts and very plentiful (peasants, say), it was very easy to get to ludicrous amounts of ectoplasm in your armies. And then, they were nigh unstoppable.

To top that, 60% or so of the enemies you killed, if you had Expert Necromancy*, would return as skeletons also. Leading me once to get a stack of -32768 skeletons. Yes folks, it's not just an xkcd joke.

Alas I don't have pics.

*: Using HoMM 2 conventions here.
    Last edited by BLANDCorporatio; 2009-04-24 at 06:48 AM.
    The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Possible new units for Wanda:
    Vegas Showgirls: the Titans would approve.
    Succubus Dominatrices
    Bloodsucking Leeches err Lawyers
    F22 fighter jets
    an army of Tim the Toolmans
    an army of Bob the Builders
    an army of Dozers (Fraggle Rock)
    an army of fashion divas
    an army of leather "gimps"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nobody expects the units Wanda has at her disposal.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BLANDCorporatio View Post
    Ya know, by itself a unit does not need to be powerful (stat-wise) to be a game-breaker.

Think of the ghosts from Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (the expansion). Stat-wise weak, but they had the ability to grow in number, one ghost for each unit they killed. Considering how many units were yet weaker than ghosts and very plentiful (peasants, say), it was very easy to get to ludicrous amounts of ectoplasm in your armies. And then, they were nigh unstoppable.
    Or a hero with Expert Necromancy and the Cloak of the Undead King in Heroes 3: Shadow of Death. Raise 60% of the dead (from both sides) as liches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Or a hero with Expert Necromancy and the Cloak of the Undead King in Heroes 3: Shadow of Death. Raise 60% of the dead (from both sides) as liches.
    Ooooh yeah. There's an artifact to ban on every self-respecting map.

But liches were pretty powerful by themselves, which takes things away from my point a little.

15. - Top - End - #15

PirateGuy

Transylvito's bats, qualify too, for that matter.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    Transylvito's bats, qualify too, for that matter.
    While Wanda probably won't make bats, yes exactly- there are many ways to have weak, yet otherwise powerful units.

Level/attribute drain, say, is particularly annoying. Added up with immunity to whatever happens to be the most common form of attack and you have yourself a 1HP murder machine.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

I suspect it will be... ack, if I expect it, then it'll never come true... let me just say...

An excellent suggestion, sir knight!

For noone ever expects th...
    Last edited by TerraImmorits; 2009-04-24 at 09:16 AM.
    In life there is hope, in death, there is insperation

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TerraImmorits View Post
    I suspect it will be... ack, if I expect it, then it'll never come true... let me just say...

Heheheh, yes, yes exactly! You may wish to consider an offering of spoiler tags for the Erfworld Titans.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Meanwhile, the Arkenhammer appears to be associated with no particular magic type. It tames Dwagons, shoots thunder, levitates, and apparently turns nuts and bats into pidgeons.
    Carnymancy, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    Speculation: 4 "known" arkentools.

Hammer - Dwagons
    Dish - Archons
    Pliers - [uber-undead, as discussed above]
    "Saw" - Giants (haven't seen any yet to speak of on any side - the biggest walking units seemed to be those trees and some of the golems - and one of these tools at least should have an uber, ground-based combat unit to match the air-dominating Dwagons, the casters, and the scary all-rounder I'd expect the uber-undead to be)
    I want there to be a dirtamancy tool that tames giant worms. I don't know why, I just want one.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Use a thumper to attract them. Otherwise, walk without rhythm.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Arkenbongos? Arkencongas?
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

On another note, the Arkenpliers destroyed uncroaked in Ansom's hands... it could be that they have ultimate power over any uncroaked and it can only manifest itself in destruction in the hands of an unattuned weilder... or it could be that the pliers are the opposite of croackamancy and are based on "Life" magic.
    Even when the Arkenpliers were in Ansom's hands Wanda *still* had some funky effect on them. Like they liked her better than they did him. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0133.html

At a guess you have to be a croackmancer to use them at their best.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    Even when the Arkenpliers were in Ansom's hands Wanda *still* had some funky effect on them. Like they liked her better than they did him. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0133.html

At a guess you have to be a croackmancer to use them at their best.
    My impression was that she cast a spell on them, but it could have been a reaction of the pliers too I suppose.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Arkenbongos? Arkencongas?

Read that as Arkenbongs at first. Maybe Sizemore will get to be a hippiemancer after all!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm not so sure about the special troops Wanda may be able to create now, but given the links between the uncroaked and dance fighting, I'm half expecting Ansom to be resurrected as "The Warlord formally known as Prince".

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm picturing the Arkenpliers creating flying, vampiric warlords that don't decay. Vampires are often considered some of the most powerful undead, after all. They'll use swarms of bats to overwhelm their foes, but will also use their great strength to kill with their hands and feet.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    I'm picturing the Arkenpliers creating flying, vampiric warlords that don't decay. Vampires are often considered some of the most powerful undead, after all. They'll use swarms of bats to overwhelm their foes, but will also use their great strength to kill with their hands and feet.
    Hmm... Sounds familiar.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the "Ansom is back but evil" twist better...

But I wouldn't mind him being a mindless puppet like the other Uncroaked, because I can see Wanda using that to freak out Jillian even -more- than the alternative.

...Okay, mostly I can just see Wanda re-enacting that scene with Lord Shojo and the wizard's skeleton. "Ansom, don't you want to get back together with Jillian?" "Sure thing, Mistress Firebaugh!" *toss*
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mukashi View Post
    I'm not so sure about the special troops Wanda may be able to create now, but given the links between the uncroaked and dance fighting, I'm half expecting Ansom to be resurrected as "The Warlord formally known as Prince".
    +350

Yes please.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

If Wanda wanted to get back at Jillian she could easliy have killed or even injured some when the last met. In fact duty should have *required* Wanda to kill or at least stop Jillian since she had stated she would be going after Stanley. But instead Wanda destroyed the other flyers there, but left Jilliian untouched, even though there had been an Archon right next to her.