New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Survey: What to do with a loved ones remains

As an assignment, I was asked to find out people's opinion about the final destination of a loved ones remains. If anyone could take their time to answer these questions, it would be greatly appreciated:

1) What is your stance on a traditional burial for a loved one? Would this be your first choice? Would you be opposed?

2) What is your stance on cremating and leaving a loved ones remains in a religious building? Would this be your first choice? Would you be opposed?

3) What is your stance on cremating and taking a loved ones remains home? Would this be your first choice? Would you be opposed?

4) Would you please state your country of residence?

Thanks in advance for your time.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Survey: What to do with a loved ones remains

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuk View Post
    As an assignment, I was asked to find out people's opinion about the final destination of a loved ones remains. If anyone could take their time to answer these questions, it would be greatly appreciated:

1) What is your stance on a traditional burial for a loved one? Would this be your first choice? Would you be opposed?
    This would be my preferred choice, both for loved ones and for myself.

2) What is your stance on cremating and leaving a loved ones remains in a religious building? Would this be your first choice? Would you be opposed?
    If a plot of land were unavailable, or too expensive, this would be acceptable, but not prefered.

3) What is your stance on cremating and taking a loved ones remains home? Would this be your first choice? Would you be opposed?
    I would not prefer this one, as the possibility of an accident involving the ashes would be too high. While the idea of still having grandma around is appealing, having to vacuum her up if the dog knocks over the urn while chasing the cat... lacks dignity. Same goes with small children wondering what's in that little box, or where to put the ashes when it's time to put up the Christmas Stockings, etc...

Alabama, United States of America.

Glad to be of help! Good Luck on your project!
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

My stance on all these can be summed up as "talk to the loved one beforehand and find their wishes." I am not opposed to any sort of funeral practice, ranging from traditional burial, to cremation, to ritual cannibalism.

My residence is in the United States, CA.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

It would depend on the loved one's wishes, but for most of my family this would be the first choice.

Erm, no, not unless they asked specifically for this. I'm not comfortable with churches and would like to make sure my loved one's remains were in good hands.

I would do this is they asked, but I'd feel more comfortable if they had somewhere that they'd like their ashes spread/placed. I'd worry about having to keep it around. Maybe I could load the ashes into shotgun shells?

USA

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

It really depends on the loved one's request. This would not be my first choice, but I would respect his or her wishes if he or she explicitly requested burial.

This would be my second choice, behind "cremation and scattering/spreading."

As others have said, leaving the ashes in such a vulnerable and busy place lacks dignity.

USA (Texas).
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

i think the absurd embalming process should be done away with. no, no

better than burial IMO. no, no.

kind of creepy. it would be weird to have the corpse around, it being dust doesn't change much. no, i wouldn't want MY remains like that, but I would understand someone else wanting it.

USA
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

1) I'm fine with traditional burials, but I think it's better if the body is cremated before burial and the ashes are buried. Takes up less space.
    2) Not opposed to that, it's entirely up to the person who died.
    3) I've always thought that an urn is kind of creepy.
    4) USA

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, you mean you... you... don't... eat people?

...Oh no.

OH NO!!

1) Traditional would be fine with me assuming my loved one had not made a prior statement that they would preferr something else, or lived a life/displayed a personality that meant a different burial would be better suited to them. In short, it'd be up to the loved one and if I had to guess I would, but traditional would probably take preference if there was no strong evidence in any direction.

2) Cremating would be a perfectly legitimate choice, but leaving the remains in a religious building or keeping them in the home would not be the thing I would do unless the loved one had specifically stated that was their wish. To me it reeks of an unwillingess to let go, I would preferr to scatter the loved ones remains in an appropriate location such as a favorite holiday spot or a beach.

3) As above.

4) Australia.
    Live, Laugh, Learn, Love,
    and Look both ways
    when you cross the street

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

1) My first choice is traditional burial, though I would prefer a coffinless burial or burial with a biodegradable coffin.

2) It's a good second choice.

3) I'd say this is my last choice; keeping the ashes around strikes me as a bit creepy.

4) United States.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

What my loved one wants trumps all. Amongst my family, donating our body to science and subsequent cremation is the preferred method of getting rid of the body.

Personally, I'm tempted to request in my will that my family cremate like, a hand or something, stick the urn on the mantle (or wherever) and anyone who wants to marry into the family has to talk to me...aka my urn. Mostly to see if it's someone who can handle kookiness.

My skeleton I want to go to a high school anatomy class.

The rest of me I want them to do with how they will in a manner that will benefit people- anything from med school to the Body Farm to just my organs being donated. My family is mostly of the same mind- do something good with it once we're gone.

I'm from Florida, USA.
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

This would be my first choice. It pollutes the least, and requires the least energy/expense if done right. All of my loved ones that I know of want to be buried, anyway.

If this were the preferred choice of the loved one in question, then I would be for it. Personally speaking, it's not something I would ever think of. Not opposed, tho.

I'm less opposed than others seem to be in this thread. I think if grandma wanted to be kept around, she would probably be aware of the likelihood of an accident and have a good humor about it. Personally, tho, I'd be much happier spreading the ashes somewhere special. If it were part of the loved one's wishes, I'd do it. But I also think having that reminder around might keep me sad for longer after they died.

Tennessee, USA

More specifically speaking, I think it's silly that we go through all these hoops trying to keep a body preserved. When we buried my maternal grandfather recently, the undertaker spent a good portion of time explaining to my father that the concrete vault would protect the steel casket imperviously, and that my grandfather's personal information had been put in a container separate from the casket, meaning that nobody would ever have to open the casket to see who was inside. I cringed as I listened to him because I was aware that no manner of interment can prevent decomposition. It can only change the way a body decomposes.

Personally I think it's silly and a little egotistical to fill the ground with metal and concrete boxes. Likewise to be burned releases toxic chemicals and requires a lot of energy. So I want to be buried unembalmed in a plain wood box. It's not like my body will care either way.

EDIT: Syka raised the interesting point of donating my body to science/organ donation. I'd love to be an organ donor, but I'd hate to put my family thru not having something around to memorialize/bury. And I'm completely against being preserved in any way. Basically, I wouldn't mind being an organ donor, but my body better go in the ground, with or without those organs.
    Last edited by skywalker; 2009-04-28 at 01:04 AM.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

12. - Top - End - #12

I don't care for traditional burial. I might oppose it slightly---IIRC, coffins tend to interact poorly with the local environment, but I could be mistaken.

Cremation is widely available and reasonably practical. It would not be my first choice. If they wanted to be placed in a religious building, I would not oppose.

Again, cremation is reasonable, but would not be my first choice. I would not oppose it, but have no interest in saving the ash.

USA

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    EDIT: Syka raised the interesting point of donating my body to science/organ donation. I'd love to be an organ donor, but I'd hate to put my family thru not having something around to memorialize/bury. And I'm completely against being preserved in any way. Basically, I wouldn't mind being an organ donor, but my body better go in the ground, with or without those organs.
    Dibs on the brain!

Out of curiosity, Ryuuk, will you be posting the results of the survey here? I'd be interested to read.
    Live, Laugh, Learn, Love,
    and Look both ways
    when you cross the street

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

The funeral pyre!

No better way to give the final farewell than to burn their body along with their most priced possessions, so they are ready for the journey beyond.

Use the ashes to feed the trees, to make up for the trees you had to cut for the pyre.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

I find the funeral to be perhaps the strangest and most pointless tradition, but it has always existed and never experienced death, so I may be ignorant.

I from Washington, USA.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

I guess burial would be alright, but I wouldn't want it to be very religious and stuff. I'm not religious so I wouldn't want it to be filled with stuff I think isn't real like going to heaven and such. I would want the same for my loved one, except when she happens to be Christian as I would want to respect her view.

I am fine for cremating, but not so fine with placing it in a religious building, but if they wanted it I would accept it. You should respect the wishes of your loved ones.

I wouldn't want to take the ash home, it would seriously freak me out every time I look at it/the jar.

The Netherlands, Europe.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

1. Burial, in a non-denominational cemetery, is my family's habit. I am opposed if they died naturally/peacefully and (to be assumed for all answers) if I have the decision-making rights. If they had a wrongful death, let their bodies be preserved should the cold case be re-opened. Ash is harder to analyze. This is not my first choice. In the case of natural death, I am opposed.

1.5. Organ donation is dependent upon the country of death and the origin of the family member. If they died in their country of origin, I'd agree to it, unless they've forbidden it--and several have. Ditto leaving the body to science. Instead of being a whole cadaver, I should look into preferential donation of body parts to specific disease research--they have more stringent demands of their donated tissue. Syka, have you got any leads on that particularly?

2. This is my husband's funeral wish. This is not my first choice. In the case of wrongful death, I am opposed.

3. I would never take ashes home. If someone requested they be scattered in a meaningful location, I would do so. If someone wanted their ashes transmuted to a jewel, and then taken home, I would do so, and keep that hidden and safe. This is not my first choice. I am opposed to taking the ashes home, to the point of overriding the wishes of the deceased.

4. Native of the USA, living abroad.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

I say burn em' up. The whole burial thing takes up a lot of real estate.

I'd put em' wherever they wanted to go.

I'm Canadian... Eh...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

1) While the traditional burial has a kind of romance about it (and i love graveyards) i feel them to be a waste of money and space. but if it's was in their will and there was sufficient money, then sure, i won't appose.

2) All of my grandparents have opted for cremation and then for their remains to be placed within a religious building. i'd only object to this if it weren't in their will and i knew them not to be religious (or the building was not of their particular religion).

3) This is my first option. only i'd take the ashes home and then scatter them somewhere that meant something to them. Of course, if in their will they wanted their ashes to simply be kept in the family home, well, while i'm not altogether comfortable with the idea, it's their decision and i'd honour it.

4) Australia

on organ donation: unless it is specifically stated in their will that they did not want to donate any part of their body, then i say take what you need, they (or I) won't been needing it anymore. As long as there's enough left for some ashes to be scattered.
    "If I were going to die I would have by now."
    - Grytt

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work: "Hello. Can't work today, still queer." - Robin Tyler

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Either way. Depends on their wishes. No.

Like having a corpse on display. No. Yes.

Creppy. No. Yes.

Usa.

Personally, I want to be tossed unceremoniously in a two foot hole in the ground And left to rot.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

21. - Top - End - #21

Sorry to distract from the questions, but I found this to be interesting:

http://www.cracked.com/article_16858...dead-body.html

You can donate your body to science, or even to a body farm. There are lots of options, though I think most of these questions deal with a loved one's remains, in which case I think most of us would defer to said loved one's wishes.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quin, no leads and I haven't actively looked into it, although I should. All I know is I basically just want my body to be a guinea pig. :) And skeleton to a high school class...'cause we had one and it was awesome to have a real skeleton to look at.
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, it all depends on the loved one's wishes.

for example, I'd like my remains to be cremated and dumped out over the pacific ocean (Or just into from shore or the railings of a ship, whatever.).

Anyway:

My stance on Traditional Burial:

Well, okay. It wouldn't be my first choice (And indeed, would be my last.) I'd do it if the loved one asked for it.

Cremation and entrusting the Holy Ground:
    Someone else would have to take care of the whole talking-to-the-curch thing, but this is perferable to interring the body so it can't decompose properly and return to the Earth.

Cremation and entrusting to the care of the family:
    Too cruel to the beloved that has passed on.

Country of Residance:
    Native and Citizen of the USA, living in Japan.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I think that someone should be disposed of however they want, as long as it doesn't infringe on the sanitation or mental health of others.

Myself, I want my flesh to be boiled off and my skeleton wired into a badawesome pose. Complete with sword and shield.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    I think that someone should be disposed of however they want, as long as it doesn't infringe on the sanitation or mental health of others.

Myself, I want my flesh to be boiled off and my skeleton wired into a badawesome pose. Complete with sword and shield.

Scott?

Oh no, wait, he wanted to made into a bone sword which I would then give to his children.
    That was until we got to the rivalry phase where it was determined his children must defeat me after he fell in battle to my evil schemes.
    Yeah. I can't tell if I have weird or awesome friends.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I think burial is very pointless. First of all, the casket costs far too much. Second, because of said casket and filling the corpse with preservatives, it takes the body ages to decompose. This results in the need for ever more land for cemeteries that could be use for more positive projects such as a shopping mall or playground. For my death, I would never choose this option at all and would definately be opposed.

Cremation is more acceptable in my opinion, although small children would have a difficult time understanding why grandma came back from her vacation in an urn. As for the religious building, it seems like a good idea but then we soon run into the same problem that exist with cemeteries, running out of room. Eventually, they would have to either start dumping peoples' ashes, or spend the money to have another separate building constructed to house the newly deceased. I would be more likely to choose this option than the other two and would only be slightly opposed to the idea of being stored in a religious building (I'm an Atheist)

Honestly, this option creeps me out. Kind like how someone loses a loved one then keeps their hand preserved in a jar on the mantle *shudder*. Frankly I believe that a person's ashes should be scattered ceremoniously in a location of their choosing. This would probably be my 2nd choice and im obviously opposed since if I were going to this, I'd rather be stuffed and put in a cool pose.

United States

For the record, I don't really like any of these choices. My preferred method of body disposal would be to push me out to sea in a burning boat.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's ok, but it's no longer practiced in my country. I don't go in for concrete vaults and caskets which are designed to last once in the ground. So if it were an option to put 'em in a pine-wood box with one corner knocked out at time of internment, then yeah, I'd go for it. As "traditional" burial stands today, I would be opposed.

Cremation is A-OK in my book. I am unfamiliar with any practice of leaving the remains in a religious building. This probably would not be an option for me in any case, and I would neither be opposed, nor choose this first.

It is... Morbid. And opens the door to all kinds of emotional trauma if the ashes get tampered with or suffer some misfortune or misadventure. So this would not be my first choice, and I would have reservations but not be actively opposed to the idea.

United States of America.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post

And off to the Science Centre we go!

I don't mind it for loved ones, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I'll go into detail in a second.

Not religious. Well, not sure really, but I doubt I'd do this. As for loved ones, I'd only do it if they requested as such.

No, no, no, no, no with a side of no.

Canada

Okay, so I would never want myself to be cremated and put into a specific spot. Instead, I'd rather do something like this:

Funeral with myself in an open casket. I'd have strings attached to my arms, and head. Every five or ten minutes, the strings would pull my body into a sitting position, and I'd wave to the people attending my funeral.

When that's all done, and my body is being taken away, I'd like my body to be transported to a cremation oven, while a separate coffin is taken to a plot in a cemetery. People cry, etc. Maybe have some jazz music playing. Good jazz with a happy, fun rhythm.

My ashen remains will be placed inside an urn (just a cheap little thing, not one of those rip-off 'designer' urns) and be brought to LEGO. There, I'd wish myself to be poured into the plastic mixture so I can give joy to kids around the world, and also so I can travel (finally).

This will probably cost $30,000, but no more than that.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

I request a satanic funeral!
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'm not particularly against it, and I like that there's a marked spot to return to. It doesn't feel very personal, though, barring some large memorial placed atop the grave. Unless it's a family plot, it seems like dead people suburbia. That said, I wouldn't be opposed, but it wouldn't be my first choice either.

Again, I'm not particularly opposed, but I'm also not very familiar with any religious cremation rights, so I'd have to know more about the particular ceremony and such before making the opinion. I'd probably be somewhat opposed because I don't like the idea of an indoor funeral, and especially not in a public building.

I might like to keep some remains, but I would rather scatter them, so taking them home wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. Again, I don't feel strongly about this; I would care more that the funeral itself is done properly.

America.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns