New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Smoke and Mirrors

Sarsast can only remain in silence after the onslaught. His life hadn't prepared him to deal with that level of... information. Though, I don't guess anyone's does, really. Except those born there, wherever there is.

2. - Top - End - #62

If that was a memory of home, or even several memories jumbled together, that proves that the Jester is like nothing I've ever heard of, and the form he was showing us wasn't his true form. Not that I didn't already suspect that, but it's one thing to suspect it and another to know it.

Erin shook her head to clear it of useless thoughts and experimentally tried to hum the same notes that the Jester had used to make the birds sing earlier. She didn't expect it to work, but it was better than doing nothing.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

Gabriel pokes himself in the chest with his index finger, feeling a different sensation each time. Then, after the rush of colors and feelings has passed, he is quiet.
    That was interesting. But I hope there isn't much more of it. There isn't much to do, and I was getting nauseous. It was impressive though. I wonder how Jester feels in a normal world if he's used to all that input. Bored, probably.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Little John

Little John chuckles a bit. Hey Jester! A path would be nice! he shouts out at nothing, but fully expecting him to hear. He'll whistle a little tune.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Colossus in the Playground

A faint light illuminates your surroundings now. You seem to be hovering, as if weightless, in a black void above what seems to be a distant surface: a brown, bubbling liquid. You are slowly drawn closer to it, until you can see that the bubbles are the size of houses. From time to time they pop,releasing small jets of flame or water, showers of sand or even bright blue bolts of lightning, arching over the surface until they vanish in the distance.
    You fall towards that surface at a faster rate now, only stopping mere feet above the bubbles, a chaos of elemental energy all around you.
    Suddenly, the thundering noise and explosions of the brown soup stop and an eerie silence falls over the landscape as the last bubbles sink beneath the surface. Far in the distance, a shadow covers the horizon, towering up far over your heads.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Jaine grimaces at John's whistling, and begins to whistle himself; long, drawn out, commanding and piercing notes, each one unchanging and steady yet each a song in itself. He just stands, whistling, waiting for the Jester to speak.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

7. - Top - End - #67

Sarsast peers at the shadow. "Consssisssantly ssstrange, at leassst. The Shadow isss our goal, I expect." He tries scurry in that direction, with little success.
    Last edited by Dreamshifter; 2009-05-16 at 12:36 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68

RangerGuy

Nat looks around her in amazement, taking a strange solace in the chaos around her but at the same time feeling uneasy in a new and unknown place.

"Where in creation are we?" she asks, to no one in particular.
    Last edited by Sedgewood; 2009-05-16 at 03:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Colossus in the Playground

Wrong question...

The Jester's voice is distant now, only a whisper, carried by the breeze. The shadow you see grows constantly larger, soon revealing it's shape: it is a monumental construction of metal and crystals, a tumbling mass of rigid geometric shapes, rolling over the landscape from horizon to horizon, the brown sludge vanishing under iron cubes and translucent crystal spheres and pyramids the size of houses. The noise is deafening, a constant thundering that trembles in your bones and stomaches. The rolling motion of the entire thing seems random, the torrent of matter falling down on the landscape slowly swallowing entire stretches of land and steadily moving towards you.
    Curiously, the sludge itself seems to react to the onslaught: pillars of matter rise from it's surface, changing shape into gigantic, toad-like creatures which promptly throw themselves against the rolling wall, tearing large parts out of the greater structure and dragging them below the surface.
    Ultimately, their struggle seems to be in vain, as new pieces rush down from beyond your field of vision, filling the gaps. Soon, the wall has caught up with you, and you feel yourselves drawn into a gap between two metallic tetrahedrons, which seems small from a distance, but in reality is more than large enough for you to fit through unharmed.
    You land on a flat, faintly glowing surface, your bodies no longer weight- and formless, in what seems to be a large hall with walls made from silvery metal, and a floor made from glowing, white crystal.
    You hear the sound of steps and a creature steps out of a hidden aperture in the wall. It has a more or less humanoid shape and human size, being made from crystalline cylinders and spheres that form it's limbs and torso, with a ball of pure white light forming it's head.
    "You are irregularities. Identify yourselves and validate your purpose or be destroyed."
    It's voice is mechanical, lacking any emphasis or stressing of syllables.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #70

After the cosmic weirdness ceases, or at least lessens slightly, Gabriel attempts to regain his bearings and balance. When the glowing, crystalline creature presents itself, Gabriel attempts a bow, and then replies, still slightly dazed.

"I am Gabriel Valentino. I am here to right what is wrong."

He stumbles slightly, but maintains his balance.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Little John

I'm Little John. Just passing through.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Jaine steps back, and says nothing, but keeps on whistling. It is identification enough.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

13. - Top - End - #73

Erin considered the construct thoughtfully. Slowly easing her hand onto her sword hilt, she pursed her lips and gave the two note call of a bob white, followed by a single, higher note that she held almost longer than seemed possible. The note harmonized pleasantly with Jaine's whistled melody, and Erin marveled that her old code name, invented in childhood games, could aid music this way.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

Sarsast smiled. "I am nobody, but you may call me Sarsast, if you wish. As to my purpose, that is a very difficult question to answer. Perhaps your existence can be summed up easily, but my own is complex."
    Last edited by Dreamshifter; 2009-05-19 at 11:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

RangerGuy

Nat studies the being carefully, but gives up trying to divine what sort of response it is looking for.

"I am called Nat," she says, then adds a little more uncertainly, "We mean no harm."