New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default 1.01 Let the Adventuring begin!

Background:

You are all citizens of the Bratwurst Kingdom. You had all lead or had grown up in successful lives in the capital, Borscht, up until ten years ago, when famine struck the lands. The famine brought the Bratwurst Kingdom’s agricultural economy to a halt, and it was only a matter of time (three years) before a kingdom wide recession hit. As resources began to run low, unemployment began to run rampant. Eventually you all lost your homes for one reason or another and were forced to live in a shantytown. Not wanting your skills to go completely to waste you have all been practicing your skills by hunting food for the soup kitchen.

It is at the soup kitchen where you guys met (if you had not met before). Though you lost your home and are forced to live in wooden shacks, you still managed to land a job. The soup kitchen hires you as a group to hunt and forage for food everyday. While it was rough at first, not only working a job you’re not used to (unless your job was hunting an foraging before) and working with new people (unless you were working with party members before) you’ve grown accustomed to working as a unit.

Thankfully the famine seems to be ending. The once familiar scene of farmers tending to their fields soon spreads throughout the vicinity. As the economy begins to pick up and unemployment finds itself steadily decreasing, you find your days as a hunting party are drawing to an end. However, during your employment by the soup kitchen, you’ve had a small taste of life as an adventuring party. Each of you have decided to remain as a group for his or her own reasons. But instead of hunting animals and gathering vegetation, you’ve decided to try actual adventuring freelance work.

As the social hub of the entire kingdom, the Tallow Tavern serves as a place for both savory and unsavory types to mingle. The Tallow Tavern also serves as a central office of sorts for job requests. Anyone willing to hire someone for a job will post on the bulletin board. You gather you should have a decent amount of luck so you take a gander and the available listings.

----------
    Alchemists Guild (No expiration date)

Looking for anyone willing to gather mushrooms from the Southern Swamps. Be prepared to barter with the locals. You will be given the proper currency to pay for the mushrooms. Upon your successful return you shall receive 250 local currencies.
    -----------
    Fighters Guild (No expiration date)

Think your tough enough to join the Fighters Guild? Come see us and we’d be glad to give you a shot. Payment is dependent on performance.
    ----------
    Confectioners Guild (Expires in 5 days)

A candy pot needs to be picked up from the city that it was made. The city is about a week’s worth of travel away. A horse and cart will be provided if needed. You will receive 250 local currencies upon successful completion
    -----------
    King Beefeater (Expires in 2 days)

To celebrate the new economic outlook, I, King Beefeater, have decided to hold a royal banquet to celebrate. We, however, require wild boars for this feast. Whoever fulfills this order will also earn an invitation to this banquet. Don’t miss your chance to mingle with the kingdom’s finest! You shall also be paid 20 local currencies per boar.
    Last edited by 1hitparry; 2009-05-10 at 10:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: 1.01 Let the Adventuring begin!

Just to clarify, the payment is total payment, not per person.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Post Modified to include description.
    A large shape of a man saunters up to the tavern walkway. He stands a bit on the tall side, with shoulders so wide they would sit better on a dwarf or some humanoid beast from the mountainside. He wears the garb of a rider and cavalryman, though the horses of the land have been long since slaughtered for sustenance. Strapped to his thigh is a simple longsword, on his back a massive charging lance, and settled over his left shoulder is what seems to be a dismounted field ballista.

He immediately turns to his left, shows a flash of recognition, and drives his scarred fist into the back of an unsuspecting patron's head.

Owed me money. says Pavis Genave in response to the curious looks aimed his way.

Original Post
    -----
    I, Pavis Genove, saunter into the tavern and immediately drive my scarred fist into the back of an unsuspecting patron's head.

"Owed me money." I say in response to all the curious looks aimed my way.
    Last edited by Anu; 2009-05-15 at 10:16 AM. Reason: adding physical description

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A rail thin man clad in a sheepskin cloak staggers into the bar. He takes a moment to adjust the compound longbow that has begun to slide off his back and makes his way toward the bar. Plopping down on a stool he leans against the bar and gazes longingly at the potted plants lining the room.

Hey barkeep. Gimme some ale to quench my thirst and some mutton to fill the space between my ribs.

Holding his mug of ale in one hand and the rack of mutton in the other, the sheepskin clad man drags himself to the bulletin board at the back of the room. He reads the posted letters and tries to hide how his eyes are continually drawn to other things in the room.

Bluff 22

He then attempts to take the Fighter Guild paper down from the board without anyone noticing.

Sleight of Hand 7
    Last edited by Thrawn183; 2009-05-11 at 08:50 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

No one notices thin man as he eyes the posts and snatches the request from the Fighter's Guild. Most of the patrons there are too busy talking amongst themselves to give a second glance. Small talk and laughing fill the room from end to end; the noise is so thick you could almost cut it. You catch bits and pieces of conversations such as

I can't believe I can finally go back to work!

and

We were so poor we couldn't even afford to live under a rock!

The mood quickly changes, however, as a man catches Pavis by the sleeve.

I dare say, Young Man, what is the meaning of impacting the posterior of my cranium? I can say, without even the slightest inkling of uncertainty, that I have any outstanding obligations to you monetary or otherwise.

The man seem to be using his intellect and command of the thesaurus to make up for his less than impressive physical build. Nothing about him seems out of the ordinary other than his manner of speech.
    Last edited by 1hitparry; 2009-05-12 at 10:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

A scraggly looking young man enters the bar, dragging a fully loaded backpack behind him. His tunic has several noticeable rips in it, and it is caked head to toe in dirt, mud, and other unidentifiable refuse. He seems to be struggling with the weight of his cargo, despite the backpack not looking particularly heavy. After successfully towing his backpack to the nearest vacant table, he begins unloading it while muttering to himself. Piece after piece of garbage is piled onto the table, with the occasional piece of sharp scrap metal or length of twine being tossed into a separate pile.

Craft (metal tools and trinkets) 24

Excellent haul today!

The dirty man jumps up in excitement, though his stench seems to be much more noticeable than his voice. Looking around to make sure he hasn't made too much a fool of himself in public, the man looks all around to make sure nobody is snickering. During his survey, he spots the man in the sheepskin cloak and jogs over to him.

Hey Bryan, you won't believe the stuff I got digging through the garbage today. I think I might be able to build that snap-snare I've been talking about.

While jabbering about his finds, the man's eyes drift towards the job postings.

A candy pot? That sounds way more dangerous than butterbean spores! You up to it, Bryan?
    Last edited by inthesto; 2009-05-12 at 09:54 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Pavis seems surprised, and even alittle impressed, that his initial strike failed to lay the man out.

I would beg to differ! Were you not known as Loufestou, the horse trader before the Great Food Blight? You sold my tribe weakly geldings not proud stallions, which we could have ridden to greener pastures and richer hunting grounds. No sir, I believe you owe me and mine quite a bit!

Intimidate Check vs Mr. Suckerpunch
    (1d20+4)[18]

Diplomacy Check vs the rest of the bar to keep from being thrown out
    (1d20+4)[6]
    Pavis Genove, Lv 1 Man-At-Arms
    Wielding a black handled longsword, cheap riding lance, large crossbow, and wearing a light suit of chain-mail.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Nice Lewyd, give me another day and I can find cook up something special to use in it. Oh, and I'm up for anything you think is dangerous enough to warrant our attention. But dude, on a different subject, you have to watch this!

I stand up and start pounding my flaggon against the table while pointing at the original comotion.

Kick the fop's ass! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Diplomacy check to influence the crowd to join in. (+13)

9. - Top - End - #9

The other twenty something patrons take notice of Pavis's quarrel. Given Pavis's initial conduct, they move toward. The man holding Pavis, seeing the crowd move in his support continues to speak.

I most unquestionably am not Loufestou. In fact it is quite comprehensible that you have no idea who I am because if you did, you would have noted that I am Deric of house Warren, an integritious element of the monarchical court.* You have besmirched my honor, and for that you will have to answer to the authorizes. To ruminate that you would hazard to thrash me. The nerve.

After addressing Pavis, Deric then turns to address the small crowd.

Well, why aren't you conducting this miscreant out of my visual perception? As a member of the court I require you obey me and remove this man!

Deric's pompous attitude along with Bryan's suggestion that they turn the quarrel into a bar fight seems to have gotten the better of them. For the past ten years they had been too busy struggling to really have any form of entertainment. They stop half way from Pavis, give each other glances, and soon form a circle around Pavis and Darren eagerly awaiting some excitement to take their minds off the gloom they have not forgotten yet. Deric is caught off guard, giving Pavis a surprise round.

Initiative:
    Pavis 18
    Deric 15

*Deric is referring to the legislative branch of the Bratwurst Kingdom.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by 1hitparry; 2009-05-22 at 06:09 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

On one swift motion, the cavalryman snatches up a bar stool in one hand and his unloaded crossbow in the other. Raising his newfound clubs above his head he howls
    Pavis Son of Genave IS TIRED OF YOUR LIES LOUFESTOU!!!!

Initiative

[roll]1d20+2[/roll]
    Last edited by Anu; 2009-05-17 at 11:00 PM.
    Wielding a black handled longsword, cheap riding lance, large crossbow, and wearing a light suit of chain-mail.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

In a wild and obviously unbalanced flurry, Pavis flails about with his makeshift weapons. Three attacks miss, though the fourth swing smashes the heavy wooden frame of the crossbow into his verbose opponent's midsection. The blow looks painful, but its obvious the victim will live.
    Who else wants a piece!?! bellows Pavis, before dropping his strange clubs on the floor and turning to smile at the onlooking bar patrons.

12. - Top - End - #12

Deric lets out an oof as the ballista slams into his torso. Though knocked out of his chair he staggers back. Clearly shaken, he manages to blurt out

Wha-wha-what is the meaning of this? Did you not discern that which I had just divulged to you? Guards! Someone! Help a member of the regal court is being assaulted!

His feeble attempts to flee are rebuffed by the surrounding costumers and they push him back into the makeshift arena.

Where are you going little man? You should pay up the guy what you owe., someone in the crowd shouts out. And if you're not going to pay up, then you might as well give us some entertainment in return for the commotion you've started.

The crowd rumbles in agreement.

Someone give the man something to defend himself with. We might as well make it as fair as possible.

Unfortunately the best the audience can provide is a butter knife. The utensil is tossed from the throng of people and lands at Deric's feet.

---------
    Battle Status

Deric
    HP: Bloodied (but with non-lethal damage)

Current Weapon: Unarmed
    Engaged with: Pavis, though not at melee range.
    Last edited by 1hitparry; 2009-05-18 at 10:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Initiative: 20 (I have the lower Dex mod)

I look for an unattended wine bottle. Whether I can see one and grab it or not, I hop onto a table and then attempt to jump on the heads and shoulders of the crowd to get to the fight.

Jump 20

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Lewyd notices the crowd forming a ring around the brewing fight. Being a fair cut scrawnier than the rest of the group, he opts to scurry around the spectacle and make his way back to his backpack.

Initiative 20

The gangly man sifts through his pile of garbage again, apparently looking for something specific, muttering to himself.

I know I saw that part in here just a second ago...

Craft (metal tools & trinkets) 19

While going through his piles of scrap metal, Lewyd pulls out a jagged shard that looks like it may have been part of a saw blade once.

Damn, this would have been perfect if it were just an inch longer!

His wispy voice fails to penetrate the din. A few moments later, he digs out a sturdy sheet of metal, seemingly perfect for whacking somebody in the skull. Tucking it under his arm, Lewyd tries to push back into the crowd, catching a glimpse of the brawlers.

Knowledge (Local) 10

Say, shouldn't I know that face?
    Last edited by inthesto; 2009-05-19 at 12:23 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Bryan quickly snatches a clay tankard with one hand while using the other to vault himself onto a table. Making a daring leap, he clears the crowd and makes his way into the circle. As he lands he strikes a dramatic pose...the almighty fear inducing crotch grab.

Bluff 23
    -----------
    Current initiative order

Pavis
    Deric
    Lewyd
    Bryan
    Last edited by 1hitparry; 2009-05-18 at 11:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Grinning like a starving hyena, Pavis spreads his arms wide and rushes forward to catch his verbose victim in a bear hug.

Grapple check [22]

This is for every rider who went horseless due to your greed!
    Last edited by Anu; 2009-05-18 at 11:32 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Grabbed by Pavis, there is little Deric can do but attempt to struggle free and let out a pathetic plea.

Unhand me your villainous entity.

Despite his wiggling, Deric fails to break Pavis's hold.

----------
    Battle Status

Deric
    HP: Bloodied (by non lethal damage)
    Current Weapon: Unarmed
    Engaged with: Pavis in grapple
    Conditions: Grappled/Flat-footed
    Last edited by 1hitparry; 2009-05-19 at 12:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Lewyd attempts to stand on his toes, in order to get a better view of the fight. Unfortunately, the crowd is tightly packed enough that he cannot get a good glimpse. Unfettered, he grasps his sheet of metal with both hands and attempts to push through so he can get inside the ring and right up close to the fight.

Base attack check to bulldoze through the crowd 5

Lewyd does not make much progress.
    Last edited by inthesto; 2009-05-19 at 12:19 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Using my Michael-Jackson-esque dancing moves to catch the closest man or woman at the edge of the crowd off guard, I spin around and try to smash him over the head with my clay tankard.

Melee attack +12
    Damage: 1

I saw what you were doing, trying to sneak up on Pavis. The fop insulted the world enough when he was born that you don't need to add any further injury!

Bluff vs. Crowd 5

20. - Top - End - #20

Bryan wields his new found tankard with the skill of a fencing master and his sword. The strike with the unconventional weapon causes his victim to stagger back, where he eventually steadies himself on a nearby chair. Bryan's bluff manages to turn some of the onlookers onto himself while rallying the other to his Pavis's cause. Clearly they will not tolerate any breach in this sacred duel.

As the people rush to either remove Bryan or defend Pavis, they eventually find themselves at odds with each other. The fighting soon escalates into a free for all as chairs are knocked over, table are upturned, and teeth are knocked out. You find it hard keep track of any single individual.* As soon as you single out one person, you soon find another person in your way. Two people are knocked out in the process.**

*If you make and attack, melee or ranged, assume your target has cover (+4 to defense) unless you're grappling like Pavis and Deric.

**There are 21 people actively participating in the brawl. I'm going rule for simplicity's sake that the crowd won't target the party. However PCs are more than welcome to target the patrons. The circle barrier is now gone, so there's no need to make str checks to get from one place to another.

----------
    Initiative Order
    Pavis
    Deric
    Lewyd
    Bryan
    Crowd
    Last edited by 1hitparry; 2009-05-21 at 11:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

With a great amount of wiggling, fumbling, and shrieks of fear from Deric/Loufestau, Pavis turns his bear hug into a one-handed head lock. He begins to fiercely pummel his restrained opponent with his now free hand. The sound of bone smacking bone echoes above the commotion of the bar fight.

grapple check to cause nonlethal damage
    (1d20+5)[14]

damage roll
    (1d3+4)[5]

22. - Top - End - #22

You'll regret this, Deric sputters out along with some blood. He goes limp as soon as the words leave his mouth.

-----------
    Battle Status

Deric
    HP: Subdued

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Lewyd looks around him, trapped in the middle of all the chaos. Ducking down low and nervously hoisting his makeshift shield over his head, he attempts to shuffle out of the bar unnoticed.

Hide 19
    Last edited by inthesto; 2009-05-24 at 09:02 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Bryan looks around for the man he smacked in the head with a flaggon. He then attempts to summon a "snake, small viper" next to him.

27 casting check.

The small viper appears and Bryan mentally commands it to attack the man he hit in the head with a flaggon before yelling, AAAAaaaahhhhh, who let these mother ****ing snakes loose in this mother ****ing tavern!? Run for your lives!

Bluff 7

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mr. Slither attacks the guy Bryan hit in the head with a flaggon.

Atk 8

Mr. Slither unfortunately bite at his feet and only manages to sink his fangs into the sole of his shoe.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Pavis drops his vanquished foe to the ground with a grunt of satisfaction. As the brawn escalates around him, he pulls a piece of charcoal and begins to scrawl a message on Loufestau's forehead.

"Failed to Pay his Debts"

27. - Top - End - #27

Amidst the tumult of chaos you hear a large roar of a voice.

What is going on here? I should have the lot of you arrested for disturbing the peace. Now who started this?

Everyone stops fighting instantly, turning to see a rather large, muscular man. The stern look on his face suggest a no nonsense attitude. You notice that his tunic has the insignia of the city guard as well as his rank. He is, in fact, one of the captains of the guard. While the captain doesn't wear any armor himself, you notice a few soldiers behind him, 2 in chain mail, and 3 in leather.

Who started this? he asks as he scans the room. Everyone point to Pavis now scribbling on Deric's limp body. What are you doing to that man? the captain says, squinting at the body. After studying the body the turns to Pavis. Is there a reason why you are scribbling on the forehead of a member of the court?

Seeing an opening, Lewyd tries to quickly sneak out, but the captain shoots his hand out. And where do you think your going, Friend?

-----------
    Initiative Order

Pavis
    City Guard
    Lewyd
    Bryan
    Crowd
    Last edited by 1hitparry; 2009-05-24 at 04:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Do you mean this man? He's no court member! Just a crook of a horse seller whos trying to avoid a deserved wholoping! With his message now finished, Pavis carefully collects his dropped ballista, fastens it to his back, then raises to his full height.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Lewyd moves his sheet metal aside to look face to face with the captain of the guard. His eyes go a little wide with panic, realizing that authorities that greatly outmuscle him are here to lay down the law. Quickly tucking the metal under his arm, he begins scrambling for an explanation.

Knowledge (Local) 26

Oh hi there Sergeant ummm...Sergeant Slappy. Crap, that's not it, but I know it's...oh right! Sergeant Slaughter I meant! You can't seriously believe I was involved in this bar fight, can you? I mean look at me!

Lewyd rolls up the sleeve of his tunic. Between the tears and the slight physical strain, the sleeve readily tears off and falls to the floor, though the scrawny garbageman does not seem to take notice. He flexes his bicep to a far greater effect than one would expect from an individual of his frame, though the muscle itself is not at all impressive.

STR Check 10

Oh wow, look at that...pretty impressive for me...

As a result, Lewyd ends up admiring his own arm and forgets for a few moments that he is trying to convince the city guard of his innocence.

Diplomacy 2
    Last edited by inthesto; 2009-05-24 at 04:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

He responds to Lewyd, Oh I believe you, but it won't save you. Your degree of involvement will be judged by the judicial system. However I am glad you know me. You should also know that I'm the head of the Major Crimes Unit. I'm used to dealing with the people that beat the people that beat people like you for fun. The Captain turns to one of his subordinates in leather armor and whispers some orders. The subordinate then dashes out of the tavern, leaving only four of them behind, two in chain mail, and two in leather. Now, you can all sit tight and wait for the head of riot patrol, Captain Garcia, to deal with you, or you can resist and deal with me.

With that, most of the customers quickly lie face down on the floor. Three of customer try to make for the doorway, but Slaughter thows Lewyd into one, catches another with a heel strike, and clothe lines the last. While Lewyd and the first would be escapee seem okay, the other two don't seem like they will be getting up any time soon. Slaughter cracks his knuckles and says, I'll only cause you trouble if you cause me trouble. That includes you. He points to Pavis.
    Last edited by 1hitparry; 2009-05-25 at 01:03 AM.