New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Rise from the Ashes IC

Quote Originally Posted by Krrth View Post
    Geros

Father? Well yes, if anyone could claim that title it would be you.

*sigh*

Forgive me if I don't weep with joy, but we've been having a bit of trouble with shapeshifters lately. Even so, It's good to see you again.

Spoiler
    Show

Just as an aside, Tor wasn't really Geros' father. Geros was an orphan that Tor more or less raised. Also, Tor's natural daughter Jola is Geros' wife. Don't know if that was an error, or that's not really Tor.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, my mistake. I edited my post.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Children of Uso

The giants appear to be in a deep sleep.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Geros and Jola

Well sir, I'm glad you're proud of me, and I've tried to do my best for your people. I'm afraid I just managed to get a lot of them killed recently.

Spoiler
    Show

Original response slightly edited.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Geros and Jola, Tomb of Heroes

Death is but the beginning. I understand your concerns, but those are dire times and you must listen to me. The tribe has split and that is good; but it is not enough. There will be conflict: with outsiders, but maybe even among the Hradani. The spirits of the dead are restless; seals have been broken, spirits are lost and every one of them senses the coming darkness. This valley won't always be the safe haven it is now. In order to ensure the survival of our people, men, women and children of the Hradani will have to leave the tribe to settle elsewhere. Another than you will lead them to their destination, but you will first need to go to the Monastery of Nine to know more. It is a great temple to Aresk Moonfell, hidden in the eastern mountain range. Go! It is the only hope for our people.

The ghost started to fade away.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Geros and Jola

Aye sir, I know. I was hoping that deed would pass me by. I'm getting old. I've only got about another fifty years or so in me.

No matter. We take the cup that's given us, not the one we want. I will seek out this Monastery.

*As Tor starts to fade away*

Will you be able to come back again? I'd like for you to be able to meet your Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren....and for them to meet you.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Geros and Jola

The ghost smiled.

I will.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Children of Uso

The scout frowns and moves up towards the thing's head. He bellows in its ear, "We are the Children of Uso! Wake up in there!"
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Children of Uso

"They are powerful giants from another Age, still under the effects of the Enchantment. This won't do them any good. You'll have to find another way."

The voice was heard in their heads. When they turned around, they saw a lone merfolk, a bit bigger than usual, with grey coral growing on parts of his body.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Children of Uso

The scout turned and studied the merfolk. After a moment he nodded respectfully. "Honored elder. All of...this, here, these oddities...can you tell us where they come from? And perhaps, who you are?"

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Opening of the portals

The various nations now have access to their own pocket plane (no pokemons allowed). For now, they appear to be about the size of a mansion from the inside.

Children of Uso: The portal of the Children is located in an underwater cavern. The priests channel mystical energy to it and...nothing special happens. They enter the pocket dimension without trouble.

Hradani: The portal of the Hradani is located in a fissure, in a broken stone wall forgotten in the wilderness. They approached the portal carefully, ready to take on anything that would come out from there. But nothing came. The Hradani entered the pocket dimension and found it interesting. However, when they left, they noticed that the landscape around it was altered. The forest was dying and a nearby stream was evaporating.
    1x1 mile around the portal is now desolate and strangely hot. Anyone travelling in this land risks taking nonlethal damage from the heat.

Naradians: The Sisters complete the ritual atop one of Suncliff's tallest spire. They pray that no ill comes to the fair folk of the city...and their prayers are answered. Even better: as the portal opens, the sky takes on a golden hue and the citizens of the capital are filled with peace and joy. The effects are temporary but the Naradians still remember this day. Shortly thereafter, a small group of magical creatures emerged from the pocket dimension and pledged loyalty to Suncliff. These are guardians; they never stray far from the dimension. You choose their appearance and abilities. They can be anything from angels, to fairies to homonculii. They are CR 10 equivalent. The Naradians also gain 50 devotion.

Saradites: The rip in reality is located on a sandy beach. When the Al-Makim sages walk through the portal, they sense strong magics at work. The dimension is slowly expending, unlike the others. Right now, it's double the normal size. The Saradites also gain 50 devotion.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Children of Uso

The merman looked around, like he wasn't sure what the scout referred to. Once again, he spoke to them telepathically.

"Oh that! I think that's because there is a portal to the elemental plane of water nearby. Or at least there was one once upon a time... It may have moved, you know. It happens. Portals are not reliable. I remember a time when I lost one. It took me forever to...

Oh, sorry. Must focus on the matter at hand. You asked me who I was, right? Well, huh...my name's Latimer. Yeah that's it. What's yours friend?"
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-07-10 at 04:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Hradani

Geros sent out scouts to search for clues as to the location of the "Monastery of the Nine. When it was found, Geros gathered supplies, called his guards, and headed out looking for this location.

Jola was left in charge. True to her words, she brought her children and grandchildren to the the supposed ghost of her father. She was still not convinced that was really him, but it was an invaluable chance for her family to see what he had really looked like. None of them ever forgot that sight.

The news of the spreading Blight worried her. Experiments were conducted to determine what the effects of this area would be.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Children of Uso

The scout smiled and once more nodded in respect. "Greetings Latimer. I am Sulair, of the Children of Uso. You say there was a portal to Uso' realm here? We have heard stories of such a place. But we have no stories of giants such as these. What is this enchantment you speak of that holds them in slumber?"

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Children of Uso

Latimer scratched his head.

"Wait, don't tell me. I'll remember... Yeah, I've read about it somewhere. I wasn't there after all. Or was I? .... The Enchantment is what affected the mortals following the cataclysm. The mortal races slept all those years, until they awoke a few centuries ago. Obviously, it wasn't like that with those giants. They somehow remained in this state. Don't ask me how that is possible or how to wake them. I really have no idea!

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hradani

Jola never saw her father again after this.

The blight doesn't spread further for the time being. It seems to be a planar anomaly.

Elsewhere

News reaches Midground of skirmishes between the Ensi Empire and some unknown underground race. Some believe the enemies are drows, but reports come in of some sort of ratmen involved in the fighting.

There is also word of an uneasy truce between the Crimson Claw and the Domnann Tribes, who met near the mouth of the Naram-Suen.
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-07-11 at 08:18 AM.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Korath

Korath heard of his fathers appearance, and hurried to the grave site. Unfortunately, he hurried a little too quickly. He became ill after the long trek. Perhaps the illness was exacerbated by the planer effect, perhaps it was his age. Whatever the cause, he quickly succumbed. He was laid to rest next to his father, as was his right as one of the Heroes that slew the fallen angels. His sons started competing to see who would inherit the chieftainship.

Meanwhile, Geros....

Geros and his band knew approximately where the monastery was...but only approximately. It would take quite a bit of searching to actually find the place.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

The Baradans

Barada meets with Dynean before she leaves to discuss her plans to journey to the east, but when Dynean is called away on urgent business, Barada decides to return. She is surprised when the Circle of the Grove meet her, leading her to the newly built temple of the Fellowship of Leaves. Barada is proud of what her people have done in her abscence, and even more so when she learns of the birth of the Killoren. This news, however is tempered with the sadness of hearing that demons had invaded, that a wicked one, masquerading as a Baradan druid had started it, as well as the fate of the spriggans. Barada knew that the Baradans would need to be stronger if they were to stand against these new troubles, and to help those they cared for.

It was at this time that she left for Splittree, to see what the Circle of the River had built. Again she was pleased. Here the Baradans had a place to liason with others, especially with the Children of Uso, who had taught the Baradans the ways of tracking, though the Baradans ranged in forests rather than the oceans. Barada gathered her druid retainers to her side, and on a great hill overlooking Splittree, she asked them to stand in a great circle. This they did, and then Barada began to chant, praying to the spirits, and any friendly beings to help defend this world. To protect it from those who would defile it, or poison it with their evil. As if in answer, the ground began to shake. Great blocks of stone rose from beneath the earth, and spiralled through the air, soon landing in front of the assembled druids to form a stone circle that aligned perfectly with the rising sun and the setting moon. The energies of the world thrummed in the stones, and soon, green runes shone forth. This place would forever stand as a symbol of the sacred trust the land had placed upon the Baradans. When asked what it should be called, Barada simply said, "It is the Henge." Thus, the Henge was made.

After the creation of the Henge, Barada began to make the preparations for her journey east. She gathered three of her most trusted druids. One from the Bountiful Grove, one from Splittree and one from Midground. An elite cadre of bear warriors joined them as protectors, while a few of the newly formed ranger caste, known as the Green Stalkers, followed to serve as scouts and to further bolster their defense.

Soon they were on their way.

Meanwhile, the Green Stalkers took the skills the Children of Uso had taught them and sought to expand and improve them. While the Children of Uso had to rely on their senses to track their prey in the water, creatures that dwelt on land left easier records of their passing to find. Soon, the Green Stalkers were able to track both man and beast.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Battle: Heal
    Creation - Location: The Henge
    Expansion: None
    Religion: Bolster
    Technology: Tracking
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Portals continued

Baradans: The portal to the pocket dimension appears within the Hedge. The Baradans used their druidic magic to access it, but in doing so, they accidently drained their own vitality. They are slightly weakened by the experience, but they will survive. The Baradans loose 50 essence.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Al Makim : Saradites
    Spoiler
    Show
    Battle: Heal
    Creation - Tower of Methuselah*Creation of elite units who can use more advanced tech than usual. They are usually small in number*
    Expansion: None
    Religion: None
    Technology: Elementalism

The Saradite Al Makim continue to research new ways to become powerful in magic. The long, drawn out, ceremonial magic would not catch up to the Saradite way of war. To make up for the long, drawn rituals required for spells, eventually the wisemen were forced to learn how to use more combat oriented spells. Methuselah had become old and wise in the Saradite tradition of the Al Saradin. With the guidance of the Al Saradin Melchizedek, his predecessor, Methuselah, ancient in the magical traditions, but aging set out to lift up a way to protect the peace loving but firm Al Makim from invaders that one day, may be more powerful than even the tribe of wizards.

Here, in the Tower of Methuselah, the Al Makim would be guided by the Al Saradin of the past consistently. This would allow for a small portion of the brightest and most skilled of Al Makim to break the laws of the world.

Consulting the oracles, the Al Saradin Methuselah constructed a great tower made from his spells, solidified, from energy into matter, with the bones of Melchizedek on the tower's apex.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Hradani and the Baradans

A messenger from one of the sons of Korath arrives in the Baradan lands bearing a package. When asked, the messenger stated that it was to be delivered to the council of druids, or whatever they called themselves.

The package turned out to be a jar of slime from the Sea of Slime. The messenger also repeated this message.

Greetings wise ones. This sample was taken from a shape shifting creature who seamed to be afraid you would get a hold of it. Since that creature has murdered some of our kin, we felt that perhaps you would like to look at it.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Saradites

The Al-Makim must deal weekly with wraiths manifesting inside the Tower of Methuselah. The cause of this undead infestation is unknown to them.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Al Makim
    The Al Makim are visiting the Oracle of the Al Saradin to determine the cause of the infestations of the wraith. The Al Saradin, Methuselah is now in the Oracle, asking Melchizedek for guidance. "Melchizedek, what is the meaning of this sacrilege?"
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2009-07-11 at 01:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Al Makim

"The souls have been disturbed. The walls are fragile."

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Al Makim : ORacle

"How may we calm them?"

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Al Makim

"Research rituals. Help the Gatekeepers. Learn more about the spell that protected the plane."

He added:

THE ANCIENT ONE IS COMING.

If asked about the last sentence, the oracle doesn't seem to remember having said that. He doesn't know who or what is the Ancient One, either.
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-07-11 at 06:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Geros and the Hradani

After a long trek through the wilderness, Geros finally finds traces of a trail that should lead to the monastery. They come across several standing stones inscribed with Arek's holy symbol on the way up the rocky peak. Then, one day, high in the mountains, they hear battle cries. Shortly after, they witness a fight between lupines and, most surprisingly, ensi warriors. The desert folk dispatch their foes fairly easily, then turn towards Geros and his men.

"- Are you with these crazed wolfmen? If so prepare to taste our blades."

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Geros

Wolfmen? No, we're not part of them.

*Rubs the ears of his trust dog Redtooth*

This is as close to that as we get. Mind you, we'll not be meaning them any harm as long as they mean us none.

*Glancing at the bodies*

Nice weapon work, by the way. It would impress someof the lads back home.

*glancing back*

Mayhap you could be giving us directions? We're looking for a place called the Monastery of the Nine.

Meanwhile, back home.

The rivalry between the Sons of Korath had gotten heated. The youngest son, Der, had quickly bowed out of the succession. His two older brothers did not. Coming to blows, they actually had to be separated on more than one occasion. Bad blood was brewing, and no one other than Geros knew how to stop it. Unfortunately, none of the parties involved knew where he was.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Geros

"- What a coincidence...we are also going to the monastery. Our Lord should already be there by now. I guess there's no harm in letting you come with us. He will decide what to do. Let's go."

The ensi sheathed their weapons and led the march. Even with their heavy cloaks, they didn't seem comfortable in this environment.

"- This place is horrible. I cannot stand it. I hope our Lord finds what he is looking for. Fast."

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Geros

*Keeping pace with the Ensi*

If I my, what race do you be from? My people are the Hradani. More specifically, I am Geros, Clan Chief of the Hills Hradani.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Geros

The black-eyed ensi looked back.

"- Hradani you say? I've heard about you. We are Ensi of the Crimson Claw. We come from the great desert on the other side of the Naram-Suen. We are allies of the Glass Shelter and the Black Bastion.

If you are really who you pretend to be, our Lord will be pleased to meet you."