1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default The fall of King Saline IV

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The fall of King Saline IV

And your point is?

It looks like that guy is going to get killed next. Not surprising to find him there, Saline had human soldiers, also not surprising for the rebelling gobwins to kill them all.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

3. - Top - End - #3

PirateGuy

My point is that while it's obviously a silhouette and not very conclusive, it looks a bit like Wanda.

I was thinking of this just now because Wanda said that Stanley was still a warlord and had just gotten control of the Arkenhammer when she invited him to Faq. Carrying that line of thought forward, I was wondering if that little inconclusive image might wind up actually being significant later -- portraying Wanda's role in sweeping Saline out of power in favor of her puppet.
    Last edited by Imgran; 2009-05-19 at 02:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Then why is she in chains?

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateGuy

She isn't in chains -- or doesn't appear to me to be. She does look like she might be handcuffed, but even that isnt' clear.
    Last edited by Imgran; 2009-05-19 at 02:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I also wondered when I saw it first. Could be a red herring, could be checkov's gun.

For later speaks, that we only see very few living humans from GK. Only Saline, Stanley, Sizemore, Maggie and shortly Manpower. Then the 4 other uncoraked warlords, and more uncroaked. We see dozends of RCC soldiers and even some normal units from Faq, but never from GK.

My theory: maybe that was some noble or royal unit, that started to charm Saline IV and threatened Stanley's position as heir. So either Stanley or Wanda had to act.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

7. - Top - End - #7

It does look as though Saline's head might fall once removed from his shoulders. And it's a steep drop. A steep drop. Ah ha! Clearly, Stanley conceived the whole plot!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    I also wondered when I saw it first. Could be a red herring, could be checkov's gun.

For later speaks, that we only see very few living humans from GK. Only Saline, Stanley, Sizemore, Maggie and shortly Manpower. Then the 4 other uncoraked warlords, and more uncroaked. We see dozends of RCC soldiers and even some normal units from Faq, but never from GK.
    There were supposedly fewer than 200 human units in Gobwinknob
    This is possibly made up of the pikers, archers, and stabbers... though it's possible that one or more of those groups were non-human like the knights... though the pikers were definitely human as Stanley started out as a piker... and considering manpower used a sword, i'd say it's somewhat likely that the stabber-class were also human
    Last edited by slayerx; 2009-05-19 at 04:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

It is too little to tell, that picture- although yes, it would be significant and tie in well with the rest of the story.

Alas, we don't see much. Really, that doesn't look as much as Wanda as it resembles the Predator.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, were you aiming for a reference for art nerds? "this is not a pipe"
    Last edited by BLANDCorporatio; 2009-05-19 at 04:34 PM.
    The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    My point is that while it's obviously a silhouette and not very conclusive, it looks a bit like Wanda.

I was thinking of this just now because Wanda said that Stanley was still a warlord and had just gotten control of the Arkenhammer when she invited him to Faq. Carrying that line of thought forward, I was wondering if that little inconclusive image might wind up actually being significant later -- portraying Wanda's role in sweeping Saline out of power in favor of her puppet.
    I really don't see the second silhouette as anything other than another red shirt. The second shadow has a sword just as far from her throat as from the king's.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post

In the 4th panel of 87/79, if any silhoute looks like Wanda, it's the one holding the sword to Saline. It is bigger than the other goblins and, to me at least, it has always looked female and almost as if it's wearing a cowl. It could be Jillian but that doesn't quit jive with her story 92/83.

We know after 160/147 that Wanda was in a position to inform the goblins that (1) Stanley was away and (2) he might not be coming back and (3) Saline was undefended.

So Wanda might have "encouraged" the goblin revolt. But that said, it is hard for me to imagine why or how she would leave FAQ just before Stanley attacked or why or how she managed to be the one holding a sword to Saline's head.

As for the big-headed figure you circled, I've always thought that must be someone else from Saline's big-headed clan. Saline is strangely proportioned, even for an Erf-worlder.
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2009-05-19 at 07:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterOfTheGod View Post
    In the 4th panel of 87/79, if any silhoute looks like Wanda, it's the one holding the sword to Saline. It is bigger than the other goblins and, to me at least, it has always looked female and almost as if it's wearing a cowl. It could be Jillian but that doesn't quit jive with her story 92/83.
    It's quite clearly a hobgobwin. Refer to Mung or the KISS for example. They're taller than Erf-humans (though still a bit smaller than Earth-humans) and fit with that silhouette better than Wanda would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    It's quite clearly a hobgobwin. Refer to Mung or the KISS for example. They're taller than Erf-humans (though still a bit smaller than Earth-humans) and fit with that silhouette better than Wanda would.
    I know about hobgobwins but, in silhoute, it's as clear to me that it's not a hobgobwin as it is clear to you that it is a hobgobwin.

Hobgobwins are taller than Stanley but so are other "Erf-humans" including Wanda (not that that means anything).
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2009-05-19 at 07:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I know about hobgobwins but, in silhoute, it's as clear to me that it's not a hobgobwin as it is clear to you that it is a hobgobwin.
    you can even see that it's got horns on it's head in the silhouette... and the body looks pretty masculine to me... Wanda's got a nicer, thinner figure that that

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    you can even see that it's got horns on it's head in the silhouette... and the body looks pretty masculine to me... Wanda's got a nicer, thinner figure that that
    Look you both realize that:

1) The OP said he thought the silhouted figure he circled was Wanda.

2) I pointed out that I thought that the circled figure did not resemble Wanda in the least, not in my opinion. If anything, the circled figure's large head was similar in proportion to Saline's large head.

3) I said the the silhouted figure did not look like a gobwin to me (hob or otherwise). Something about it makes it look different from a gobwin for me. Which means to me tha it might not be gobwin. Or it might be a gobwin. I can't say for sure.

4) I said that although Wanda may have tipped off the gobwins that Stanley was away that there was no reason for Wanda to be away from FAQ or to be in that picture (not as far as we know).

So I was disagreeing with the OP that Wanda was in the picture. I was not saying what was definitely in the silhouted picture

Yet you two insist that it must be a hobgobwin in the silhoute? And obviously the silhoute drawing was chosen to make it crystal clear what happened in that picture...
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2009-05-19 at 08:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

4) I said that although Wanda may have tipped off the gobwins that Stanley was away that there was no reason for Wanda to be away from FAQ or to be in that picture (not as far as we know).
    It is likely that Wanda was a Gobwin Knob unit at the time of Saline's death. At the time of the depicted events, Faq had surely long fallen.

I do not know whether Wanda is in the picture, but I'm betting the gobwin revolt was entirely her doing.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alexei P View Post
    I do not know whether Wanda is in the picture, but I'm betting the gobwin revolt was entirely her doing.
    I agree with that. She doesnt seem to be duty bound to GK so she could easily pull it off, it fits her character and ambitions. Unclear only, whether or not Stanley knew of the plan beforehand.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

A couple of missing points: When Stanley retook GK is highly doubtful that Wanda was left behind on the mission, she was probably with the group of several other casters. Sizemore does not mention anymore about it and we do not see in any of the other frames confirming this to be what actually happened. The circled figure could easy be the personal lackey of Saline and also dismissed in that fashion Not enough evidence, case dismissed.
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder