New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Another computer frustration thread.

Mind you, this one's a little different from the others.

On May 13th, when I returned home from college, I had a minor soda spill on my laptop keyboard. After taking the proper action, I discovered that the computer itself was fine, but the keyboard no longer functioned. My dad said he would take it to a place and they would cover the bill, so that's what happened the next day.

One week passes, and I asked my dad about it. It turns out that they were going to look at it the next day. The repairman had other clients to take care of first, which I understood.

Next day, it is confirmed that the keyboard is the only problem, so they order a new one. Which takes about another week. To top that off, it won't even bee the same color, because silver-colored keyboards are about as elusive and hard-to-find as the Loch Ness monster.

So, that week goes by, but there's another hitch in the situation. My dad being the master of vagueness, I don't get to find out what the problem is. All I get to really know is that stress tests are needed over the weekend.

Yesterday, it was supposed to be done. The repairman took a sick day instead.

Today, it apparently is finally 'fixed', and I get to hear about what the previous hitch was. A couple of the keys popped out when he was testing the new board.

So, here's our total.

-100+ dollars out of my parents' wallet
    -about 3 weeks of seemingly wasted time
    -and 1 computer with a newly non-matching and evidently defective keyboard.

If just one key pops out when I finally get to use it again, I will go to the repair shop, have him take out the 'new keyboard', have them refund me the money, return the money to my parents, and take my business elseware.

Also, if anyone here is computer-smart, please alert me on how long keyboard fixes usually take, and how much they usually cost.
    Last edited by Neko Toast; 2009-06-02 at 05:19 PM.

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Another computer frustration thread.

Disassembling a laptop is notoriously frustrating. Someone comfortable with a specific model of laptop can probably do it in minutes, but normal mortals doing it for the first time might take a few hours as they (very... carefully...) identify and label all the screws so they can get it back together. That's where the seemingly high labor cost is coming from, I'm sure. The replacement cost for the keyboard itself varies depending on manufacturer, I'm sure, but I'd (wildly) guess $20-$40 wholesale.

All that said, if you're willing (and... carefully... methodical...) enough to do it yourself, a simple syrup-in-the-keys issue can probably be fixed by just taking the keyboard out and soaking it in warm water for a while with some mild agitation to break up the goo. Let it dry thoroughly before replacing it, and you should be fine.

Contrary to popular belief, electronics don't generally die spectacularly when you get them wet. Most likely what's happened is that the goo contains enough electrolyte (either from the soda, or dissolved stuff from the surface) to short some traces together. Clean off the gunk and the part is very likely to still be functional.

Just recognize that you're going to spend a whole lot of time counting and labeling screws, and will probably scream at the thing more than a few times before the process is over.

3. - Top - End - #3

Depends. Ordering new keyboards from IBM (who I believe makes HP's keyboards, along with all of their brands, and possibly Dell's) shouldn't take too long, nor should finding the proper color.

What you should have done is shipped it to HP or Dell or whoever and had them fix it, and paid whatever they wanted. You would be certain you had the right keyboard, the right color, and a functional one.

So when this one breaks, get your money back and ship your computer to the manufacturer.

My two cents.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

4. - Top - End - #4

Time for some corrections. You can thank my dad for having poor communication skills.

-3 weeks of seemingly wasted time
    -and a newly fixed, right colored and non-defective keyboard.

The problem was that some of the keys didn't register properly at first once the new one was put in.

When you have someone relaying the info from the worker to you, things can get hairy. If I bust my computer again, I'll take care of it myself, including the cost.

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I recently swapped out my screen on my Dell Inspiron 6400, it took a total of 20 minutes, and that was because I decided not to separate the keyboard and disconnect the wifi antenna so I could pop out the screen case, otherwise it'd have been about 15.

The keyboard itself isn't that difficult of a fix, on my Dell, I pop off the cover above the keyboard (where the power button, lights, etc. are), remove two screws, and pop out the tabs on the keyboard, then flip up a plastic tab holding the cable for the keyboard in. It'll vary some by model, but I wouldn't imagine much. Just know that some of it takes a little bit of force, so don't baby it like I did the first time I took mine apart. Use a flat head screwdriver to aid you in popping off the cover, you should just be able to run your thumb under the keyboard to pop it up.

I can take some pictures on how to do it if anyone cares enough.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer Draco View Post
    When you have someone relaying the info from the worker to you, things can get hairy. If I bust my computer again, I'll take care of it myself, including the cost.
    And if you can't, find a couple of Computer Engineering or CompSci majors to help. Though they'll probably try to install Linux and trick out the hardware if you give them enough time and/or cash...
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-06-02 at 08:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

On HPs the screws are normally on the back. I have access to Lenovos at school, I'll take a look/take a broken one apart tomorrow if I can get some free time at the lab.

What kind of Laptop is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    And if you can't, find a couple of Computer Engineering or CompSci majors to help. Though they'll probably try to install Linux and trick out the hardware if you give them enough time and/or cash...
    You make that sound like it's a bad thing.
    Last edited by Lupy; 2009-06-02 at 08:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Or how about some of them lazy Software "Engineers".

You're not an engineer unless you get your hands dirty >:

*Proper Computer Engineer (in training)*
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

But yeah, even some compsci majors are oddly clueless about working on computers. Engineers of any sort are probably a better guess, since they tend to be more of tinkerers. CompSci's where you go when you've got software issues.

...though the ones I know still don't know why my email's not sending on clawsmail...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Squat View Post

But yeah, even some compsci majors are oddly clueless about working on computers. Engineers of any sort are probably a better guess, since they tend to be more of tinkerers. CompSci's where you go when you've got software issues.

...though the ones I know still don't know why my email's not sending on clawsmail...
    Computer Engineers, rather than Software Engineers of CompSci majors is where you should go for stuff like this, preferably.

Anyway, all that's there to be said has already been said.
    ٩๏̯͡๏

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InaVegt View Post
    Computer Engineers, rather than Software Engineers of CompSci majors is where you should go for stuff like this, preferably.
    The tricking out thing in the comic, or my email not working?

Really with my email, I just haven't bothered spending the time finding the right combination of security stuff for the smtp sever for my school email. Works fine with gmail after a little tinkering (no one really knew how to do that either). I probably should get on it before school starts up again, I just have more important things to do at the moment.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Laptop keyboards are one of their easiest parts to replace. It can and should be done in minutes.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Laptop keyboards are one of their easiest parts to replace. It can and should be done in minutes.
    Definitely agree with this.

There are a few laptop models that are a bit more tricky to sort it, but the keyboard is usually just secured with a few screws on the bottom of the machine and then it'll pop right out.

I work for HW support for IBM, and if someone calls in and tell me that he/she has spilled soda over the keyboard and it's stopped working, I don't even tell them to send in the machine to service depot. I just redirct them to buy a new keyboard (soda spill is not covered by warranty) and replace it themselves as it takes 5 minutes to replace if they're working slowly.

Most PC manufacturers will have step-by-step instructions on how to replace certain parts in the laptops so that the customer can do it themselves.
    I know we do. And we've got video clips showing it as well.

So, here's our total.

-about 3 weeks of seemingly wasted time
    -and 1 computer with a newly non-matching and evidently defective keyboard.
    That's totally out of order. There's no chance that a keyboard replacement should take 3 weeks, and make sure that the repair guy didn't bill you for the second keyboard where the key popped off when he was 'testing' it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Squat View Post
    The tricking out thing in the comic, or my email not working?
    The tricking out thing and other hardware related stuff. Computer hardware is the domain of computer engineers, silly stuff like e-mail is the domain of software engineers.
    ٩๏̯͡๏