New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Sweet tea and bitter wood...

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    Cricketman
    Naturally Psionic: A cricketman gains 2 bonus power points.
    does a cricketman still get the power points if he isn't a psion?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kilos

does a cricketman still get the power points if he isn't a psion?
    O'course. Almost all psionic creatures have psionic points, even if they don't use them. Its so they may use psionic feats which requires a power point pool of at least 1.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by waspsmakejam
    It took me two readthroughs to understand why the monsterious psionic cricketer needs poison, why he hasn't got his bat, and why he's so worried about his tea when he hasn't had his lunch.
    Yeah, me too. With the subject-line so obviously a reference to the tea-break and the willow bat, where did all this stuff about insects come from? ;)
    The member of the Australian Society for the Encouragement and Propagation of Beards. - Custom avatar by Moonsinger. Technical assistance by Quasimodo.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

I'm not sure what to make of this. It's actually quite an interesting concept, but it's got a subtle undertone of "peaceful Asian master who teach you wisdom, yes?" But I may be reading too far into it.

One thing I've noticed for your monsters, however, is that they're rather... loaded. By this I mean each monster has a chockful of abilities, which means that if I want to use this, I have to take them all into account in a game. This is kind of a turn-off for me, as well as a number of other official D&D creatures.

Two more things -- are they always N or NG, or is there some kind of alignment division? And do they actually call themselves cricketmen? Because that just seems weird.

All in all, pretty good. Above the par for most things, I think.
    "If Merlin had seen what you had seen, Merlin would have died, and Merlin would have died without regret, for Merlin receives facts reasonably." -- James Branch Cabell, Jurgen

Also known as Oaz or Cantankerous on other message boards.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Oooh, yeah. I assume they've got a term for themselves that is not referencing another creature? Would be kind of like us calling ourselves Ape-Men.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oooh, they could call themselves the 'Gryllidae'.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Yeah, me too. With the subject-line so obviously a reference to the tea-break and the willow bat, where did all this stuff about insects come from?
    Pffttt... non-americans... ::)

;)

One thing I've noticed for your monsters, however, is that they're rather... loaded. By this I mean each monster has a chockful of abilities, which means that if I want to use this, I have to take them all into account in a game. This is kind of a turn-off for me, as well as a number of other official D&D creatures.
    Well, if you say so, but generally a player character or NPC with character classes would be a good deal more loaded. In my defense though I have a good number of decently 'unloaded' creations. These guys just happen to be one of my most loaded creations.

Two more things -- are they always N or NG, or is there some kind of alignment division?
    They are what it says, always neutral or neutral good.

And do they actually call themselves cricketmen? Because that just seems weird.
    No, thats a name given them by other species. They don't refer to themselves as a species. Just another odd little quirk.

Oooh, they could call themselves the 'Gryllidae'.
    *grins*

Sneaky, but actually sounds good. Think I'll just stick with them not having named themselves though.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Well, if you say so, but generally a player character or NPC with character classes would be a good deal more loaded. In my defense though I have a good number of decently 'unloaded' creations. These guys just happen to be one of my most loaded creations.
    That may or may not be true, but in any case class abilities from the PHB don't really count as new stuff to learn.

No, thats a name given them by other species. They don't refer to themselves as a species. Just another odd little quirk.
    This is funny. They have a name for their own language but not for themselves? I can't think of a real-world parallel, but of course this isn't in the real world.
    "If Merlin had seen what you had seen, Merlin would have died, and Merlin would have died without regret, for Merlin receives facts reasonably." -- James Branch Cabell, Jurgen

Also known as Oaz or Cantankerous on other message boards.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

So, if they have no name for the species, what do they call themselves? "The People"? That'd basically be mimicing 1/2 the nations of ancient earth, right there. Honestly, they've gotta have a name for themselves. Otherwise you get a conversation like this.

Random Guy: So, what exactly are you?
    Cricketman: *bzzt* inquiry does not compute. Designating source as virus. Destroy *bzzt* destroy.
    RG: Uhh...gottago! *flee!*

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Carmichael
    That may or may not be true, but in any case class abilities from the PHB don't really count as new stuff to learn.
    *shrugs*

Well, I just can't empathize here as I've never had a problem with complicated creatures.

Honestly, they've gotta have a name for themselves. Otherwise you get a conversation like this.

Random Guy: So, what exactly are you?
    Cricketman: *bzzt* inquiry does not compute. Designating source as virus. Destroy *bzzt* destroy.
    RG: Uhh...gottago! *flee!*
    Except they 'very' rarely converse with anyone. As mentioned in the text, they usually ignore anyone even if they come in.

Thats why they are called the Cricketman, because they don't give a name of the species. They have their own personal names, but thats about it.