Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #658 - The Discussion Thread

I hope Xykon doesn't lose his phylactery now, that would be disappointing

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Power currently takes the form of a tiny-sized familiar.
    Last edited by Werewindlefr; 2009-06-01 at 08:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Is it possible that the flight he was under the effect of was cast off of one of the splices and V didn't have it prepared hirself? V loses the splice, can't cast any flight spells again. Overland flight gets dispelled, V can't fly until another chance to prepare spells comes up. I can't remember if V cast flight at any point before the splice.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ten bucks says the bird gets fried ten feet from the portal.
    I make avatars if you ask nicely.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeptCloak View Post
    Yeh, I'm quite clear on him having lost his flight spell (the one in use), it's just he got his slots replenished, which under any sensible reading means he should now be ablt to cast it again. It's not complicated.
    Now you see, by my reading of the IFCC strip in question, it was clear that V was able to choose what spells he wanted at that instant. After all, this was a group that flouted the rules of DnD with the whole Advanced Time Stop, so it seems entierly possible that they could have someone chooe a whole new spell list for the day in an instant.

Quite frankly, I never even thought for a moment that he would have the exact same spells memorized as the day before.

I really think you are making a mountain out of a molehill here. Sure, V could have had more than one Fly spell memorized, but I guess he decided to use those slots for something else.

The fact that Blackwing is here to save the day means that V still gets to be a contributing factor to hurting Xykon. It's just a bit more indirect this way.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2009-06-01 at 08:46 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar=awsome View Post
    I'd just like to brag a little bit about how far ahead I saw this coming. I've got supervision. I'm the oracle. I'm the freaking oracle.
    Dude, you wrote 95 words, of which the first two were correct and the rest were garbage.

(So you don't have to click on the link, they were "Blackwing comes".)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the explanations, guys. :) I knew that sounded familiar somehow... I think it fits the comic pretty well. A small advantage that you have is better than a big advantage that you, uh, don't have. XD That is, V is using every possible small advantage he can think of. :)

Does anyone else think Vaarsuvius looks somewhat strangely adorable in that last panel? The long hair makes his figure look visually smaller, and with all the bruises, cuts, black eye and torn robes, you just kind of want to hug him... The fact that he's standing next to O-Chul, who is taller, probably helps too.

Huh... I'll probably want to make a drawing of that last panel. :)
    Last edited by Kaytara; 2009-06-01 at 08:45 PM.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

8. - Top - End - #128
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    Also, what exactly happened to that Meteor Swarm? It looks like Xykon missed O-Chul with it, but that should still mean that both him and V have to make reflex saves just for being in the area of effect, and even those would only make the damage partial.... Yet they don't seem to get any injuries from the Meteor Swarm.... So what gives?
    It could very well be that one of the potions that V fed O'Chul was a Protection From Energy potion, although unless V also drank one off camera that doesn't really explain how she survived it.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeptCloak View Post
    Yeh, I'm quite clear on him having lost his flight spell (the one in use), it's just he got his slots replenished, which under any sensible reading means he should now be ablt to cast it again. It's not complicated.

That's because you're assuming that somehow there waz a crazy carryover duplicate flight spell. Sorry, dude. I thinkt hat from now on, when you make random claims about the comic, you need to actually post a reference and a quote where V explicitly says, "I have another flight spell prepared in case this one fails," or something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darkjubs View Post
    It could very well be that one of the potions that V fed O'Chul was a Protection From Energy potion, although unless V also drank one off camera that doesn't really explain how she survived it.
    It was just a ranged touch attack that missed. I don't see why we need anymore of an explanation than that.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, the phylactery is a goner. Drama cannot be denied!

Having the empty phylactery destroyed doesn't do anything to Xykon except break his morale. At least there's no explanation by RAW afaik so it's up to the Giant.

One thing I'm curious is, how come V's still up? Shouldn't he have gone down?

Also, will you people stop feeding Jeptcloak?
    Last edited by Pronounceable; 2009-06-01 at 08:50 PM.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Now you see, by my reading of the IFCC strip in question, it was clear that V was able to choose what spells he wanted at that instant. After all, this was a group that flouted the rules of DnD with the whole Advanced Time Stop, so it seems entierly possible that they could have someone chooe a whole new spell list for the day in an instant.

Quite frankly, I never even thought for a moment that he would have the exact same spells memorized as the day before.

I really think you are making a mountain out of a molehill here. Sure, V could have had more than one Fly spell memorized, but I guess he decided to use those slots for something else.

The fact that Blackwing is here to save the day means that V still gets to be a contributing factor to hurting Xykon. It's just a bit more indirect this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by homeosapiens View Post
    The comic rock's. Yet another cliffhanger...

Still i believe it is pretty unreasonable to think V wouldn't prepare Fly or Overland Fly. After all who might think that he wanted to stay in splice all day? And wasnt it said that spells finish while splice finish? It is stretching. You can't rationalize it in any way - but hey! Nobody is perfect! G man is a human too. EoT?Plz.

What's gonna happen next? (dunh dunh dunh)
    Just read up people. I really dont like when people post without reading first.
    comeback Chief Lobbyst

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Awesome comic Rich, though you cliffhangers are slowly driving me insane with not knowing what happens!
    Gibbo

Read about the Lady of the Night and her daring and worldly crew searching for Ilos and the cultists trying to bring him back. The cultist's now defeated the heros retire until the next catastrophe.

Gremshak - Bounty hunter

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

I think V and O-chul have actually secured their escape route this way, assuming Blackwing cooperates with little resistance.

Facts: Raven base fly speed is 40 feet. Overland Flight fly speed is 40 feet. A raven familiar with a master of V's level has improved evasion and can share touch spells. V could easily buff the raven for a few rounds with any spells remaining before sending it off to the Rift. A raven also has a good reflex save and is Tiny, which will hinder Xykon's ranged touch AC quite a bit.

The most important thing is that Xykon can't effectively deal with multiple targets at once unless he's specifically prepared to. He has to pick his battles, as we've seen repeatedly. And since Xykon values self-preservation over all things, it's pretty clear that his attention will be focused on recovering his precious, leaving V and O-chul ample time to hide. Xykon also appears to have either barred Divination or otherwise has not invested heavily in it (and O'chul has a lingering Cloister on him, which may or may not hinder any Divination efforts while he's in the city, I forget.)

Whether O-chul flees or not is another story, of course.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I applauded... not just because Blackwing returned, but Vaarsuvius. Remembered. Blackwing. When it really mattered. That's awesome on many levels.

And that O-chul didn't hesitate to bring V along is cool too.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Blackwing! Like one of my familiars.

I love how Rich plays on the fact all PCs seem to forget their PC's familiar at some point or another. Even I as a DM sometimes do when the players don't remind me.
    Last edited by BlueWizard; 2009-06-01 at 08:50 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

yes blackwing die to give us a fleeting tacticle advantage!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar=awsome View Post
    I'd just like to brag a little bit about how far ahead I saw this coming. I've got supervision. I'm the oracle. I'm the freaking oracle.
    Sorry, I agree with Toper.... All you got right was that Blackwing would be coming back, which was obvious anyway. You'd have to have predicted the timing and exact circumstances and effect of his return in order to get any real bragging rights.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

It was just a ranged touch attack that missed. I don't see why we need anymore of an explanation than that.
    Even if the meteors miss, they still explode and damage everything within 30' of them, although this doesn't seem to happen the other times that X uses them either. I suppose it could just be that meteor swarm works differently in the OotS universe. *shrug*

20. - Top - End - #140

SamuraiGuy

This was a good comic, though. I'm so far on the edge of my seat I have a Tenser's Floating Disc holding me up part of the way.

21. - Top - End - #141

Flumph

Sure, V could have had more than one Fly spell memorized, but I guess he decided to use those slots for something else.
    The point Jeptcloak is making is that V should have an overland flight spell because he prepared it that day, it was replenished by the splice, and his old flight spell (before the splice) is the one that's been in effect this whole time. You could say that he re-chose his spells for the day when he got the splice, but that doesn't make much sense to me. Choosing the spells requires concentration or at least conscious thought, whereas receiving raw arcane power to replenish spells already chosen doesn't seem like it would need to.

Frankly, I think Rich overlooked this. I'm sure I would make many more mistakes if I wrote a story about characters whose abilities could be defined by sets of rules and statistics. However, this plot turn could be intentional. Its possible V's replenished spell slots are a direct result of having powerful souls still shackled to him.

It's sort of a stretch, but it could work.

Edit:
    That's because you're assuming that somehow there waz a crazy carryover duplicate flight spell. Sorry, dude. I thinkt hat from now on, when you make random claims about the comic, you need to actually post a reference and a quote where V explicitly says, "I have another flight spell prepared in case this one fails," or something similar.
    No, you're misunderstanding his argument. V doesn't need another fly spell, the one he'd been using was cast before the splice and was in use this whole time. The duration is one hour/level. Jeptcloak has a valid argument here, although this isn't necessarily an oversight on Rich's part.
    Last edited by pyrefiend; 2009-06-01 at 08:59 PM.
    Witch Razor Blood Sage
    (Links both lead to ToB disciplines I made!)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Another question: Don't familiars disappear if their master is killed? If Xykon realises that the raven is V's familiar, O-Chul may have his hands full making sure V survives long enough for Blackwing to make it to the rift... I definitely hope that the MitD (whose existence we were conveniently reminded of again) steps in before O-Chul can be finally killed, but an attempt at a Heroic Sacrifice may be coming....
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

23. - Top - End - #143
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, what would happen if the phylactery is destroyed, O-Chul sacrifices himself saving V, and V escapes, but V reports this to the party:

"Only through the use of my Arcane Magical Power did we achieve this victory. The Paladin was of no use beyond that of a meat shield, unfortunately. Therefore, I am supreme!"

I think there would be riots in Los Angeles.
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Toper View Post
    Dude, you wrote 95 words, of which the first two were correct and the rest were garbage.

(So you don't have to click on the link, they were "Blackwing comes".)
    It was a speculation thread, and it started with "Everybody remember the raven, V's familiar (Blackwing/Arrow shooting target)? He's gonna come back, that's what I think." thank you very fricking much. The rest was discussion.

Congrats! You've just failed a spot check!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by homeosapiens View Post
    Just read up people. I really dont like when people post without reading first.
    Was that directed at me? I did read the thread, I was just contributing my two cents into the debate.

As for your specific complaint, of course I can rationalize V not memorizing another flight spell:

He wasn't thinking clearly and presumed that the flight spell that he already had up would be sufficient. Should V have memorized more? I suppose so. But V hasn't exactly been known as a good tactial planner, now has he?

Sheeesh. All this drama over a ficitional character not memorizing enuf flight spells

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Go raven go! It'd be the most heroic thing a familiar has probably ever done.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Go Blackwing!

28. - Top - End - #148

RedWizardGuy

What are the odds the bird flies over the rift, Xykon zooms out to snatch the phylactery, holds him it up triumphantly, and gets snagged by the Snarl?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Another question: Don't familiars disappear if their master is killed? If Xykon realises that the raven is V's familiar, O-Chul may have his hands full making sure V survives long enough for Blackwing to make it to the rift... I definitely hope that the MitD (whose existence we were conveniently reminded of again) steps in before O-Chul can be finally killed, but an attempt at a Heroic Sacrifice may be coming....
    Good point about the familiar going away if V dies, I hadn't thought of that. This opens up new opportunities for Rich to possibly choose from. Nice wisdom score you got there.

30. - Top - End - #150

Sorry, I agree with Toper.... All you got right was that Blackwing would be coming back, which was obvious anyway. You'd have to have predicted the timing and exact circumstances and effect of his return in order to get any real bragging rights.
    Yeah, I know. But I can't resist a good "told you so". Besides, who else made a thread about Blackwing coming back soon? Nobody? Just me? Yeah, thought so.

I don't really have any bragging rights, except for remembering Blackwing a dozen strips before everyone else. But that's good enough for me!