New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Random Baldur's Gate questions (PC)

Can anyone produce a list of what happens to all the BG1 npcs in BG2?

I've heard darts are awesome because of their rapid attack rate and that you add your strength to damage. Can anybody provide the hard stats for this? (I have no idea where my book is...

Did anyone notice how the premade thief in BG1 has ridiculous starting thief abilities? What's up with that?

In BG2, in trademeet, did anyone notice anything funny about the background noise?
    Last edited by Harperfan7; 2009-10-20 at 04:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Random Baldur's Gate questions (PC)

1. I've seen such a list online, but am too lazy to look it up this second. Try googling it.

2. I've heard that fighters with five dots in darts can do a ton of damage this way, but never tested it.

3. No, I didn't notice. What's up with it? Probably the developers not wanting you to die from traps or get stuck at locked doors too much.

4. In Trademeet? No. In the Docks in Athkatla, I got a bit freaked out when I realized that one bit of background noise you heard every so often was a girl's voice screaming "I'm too young!" followed by male laughter. But I didn't notice anything like that in Trademeet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harperfan7 View Post
    Can anyone produce a list of what happens to all the BG1 npcs in BG2?

I've heard darts are awesome because of their rapid attack rate and that you add your strength to damage. Can anybody provide the hard stats for this? (I have no idea where my book is...

Did anyone notice how the premade thief in BG1 has ridiculous starting thief abilities? What's up with that?

In BG2, in trademeet, did anyone notice anything funny about the background noise?
    1. Eh, if I wasn't lazy, I'd just give you a run down myself. I know that most, if not all, appear somewhere in BG2.

2. Darts rock. Trick is, there's only 1 good magic one, and that's the Crimson Dart +3, which you can only get from Watcher's Keep in BG2's expansion.

3. No, I never did. Well, just run with it I guess!

4. Nope. It's Trademeet though, so I never really chilled there for too long.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

From memory:
    Edwin, Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen and Viconia can be in the party again.

Khalid and Dynaheir are dead.

Ajantis reappears in the Windspear Hills. Spoiler: As one of the "monsters". You kill him.

Garrick reappears in the Temple District, in front of the Radiant Heart. Spoiler: He appears to have trusted the wrong person with his brain between BG1 and BG2. Possibly an illithid. There's a nice little story going on otherwise, though. With a completely non-obvious reference thrown in.

Coran and Safana reappear in the Thetyr Wood. Spoiler: Safana backstabs you and dies. Coran doesn't necessarily die. His survival mainly depends on how fast you can get an Otiluke's Resilient Sphere off.

Faldorn reappears in the Druid Grove. Spoiler: She's the big bad of the quest.

Quayle reappears in the circus.

Xzar is a questgiver that appears in the docks. His quest involves Montaron. Spoiler: Montaron is dead, Xzar dies if you do the quest.

Tiax reappears in Spellhold. He's funny. Spoiler: He also dies.

Kivan, Yeslick, Alora, Eldoth, Skie, Branwen, Xan, Kagain and Shar-Teel don't make an appearance in SoA or ToB. Xan and Branwen are part of the tutorial group, though.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2009-10-20 at 07:13 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Thanks a bunch, Johnny Blade. I was hoping that all of them would make it in, but I guess not.

That thiefs abilities are like 90, 70, 50, 60 or something like that. This character is the only way I'm aware of of getting the chest on the 2nd level of the candlekeep inn open (before you come back later on). It has a star sapphire worth 1000gp (to winthrop).

If you listen to the background noise, the stapler guy from Office Space makes an audio appearance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harperfan7 View Post
    I was hoping that all of them would make it in, but I guess not.
    Well, that's what mods are for.

Namely, there's The Darkest Day, which brings everyone who isn't already in the game back. Without any dialogue or quests or anything, but they're back.

There are also mods for Ajantis, Kivan, Tiax, Branwen, Xan and Alora. Maybe even more that I'm not aware of.
    I've only really tried Ajantis', though. It's pretty good. Kinda weird in the beginning, though, and it is Ajantis, so it's not really exciting.

Oh yeah, there's also Tortured Souls, which brings some other of the old pals back. Namely Dynaheir and Coran. But Tortured Souls is horrible, so yeah.

(I think that Coran and Garrick have their old soundsets, by the way, so you could cheat them into your group via Ctrl + Q. Too lazy to check if they have their old stats as well. Not sure about Quayle, and you could break a quest if you have Aerie in your group, or - more likely - screw some stuff up so that she gets angry, but theoretically, it's the same thing.)
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2009-10-20 at 07:24 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I think a halfling thief with all his points poured into lockpicking and max dex can do it as well, but I just use a knock spell with my mage.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I think a halfling thief with all his points poured into lockpicking and max dex can do it as well, but I just use a knock spell with my mage.
    You can't get knock as a level 1 mage in Candlekeep. A halfling thief with max points in Lockpicks is the only way to open it. Apart from the blatantly cheated pregen thief.

Johnny Blade is spot on with his list of NPC's. It's too bad some of them aren't in, like Kagain, who's pure awesome. Don't try The Darkest Day or Tortured Souls though, they're pretty terrible.
    I actually helped with TDD a bit when TeamBG first created it (it was one of the first BG2 mods), but the mod is really outdated.
    Kivan and Xan are said to be pretty good mods, but I don't like the way their authors portrayed them. Xan was one of my favourite BG1 characters and I'm not persuaded by his new persona.

I can't say for certain whether or not darts add STR bonus. I think some mod might change it though. I know there are two slings which do add the STR bonus, only one of them is a bug.

Recently resurrected. Sorry for bailing on you guys.

"Never play leapfrog with a unicorn"
    Awesome OOTSatar by Crimmy, masterfully done.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It's one of those rare bits I cheat for. I have rules about cheating. Yes, I could just cheat in the gold, but it's not FUN.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why cheat for a 1000gp necklace? After you've slain bassilus, mobbed a few sirines and found the diamond in the tree, you're pretty much set for cash. I've never had any money problems after beregost...

Recently resurrected. Sorry for bailing on you guys.

"Never play leapfrog with a unicorn"
    Awesome OOTSatar by Crimmy, masterfully done.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Because it's fun, and makes equipping your character much easier? Besides, I always buy Jaheira a Scimitar there before I head out.