New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwarf fortress

1. - Top - End - #661
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf fortress

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Indeed, fun is the most important part
    And don't forget about the Fun.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Dwarf in the Playground

Speaking of fun, I was neglecting magma safety rules again... I was building a magmaduct around the outer edge of the fortress, planning to use pumps on the walls to splash it all over invading gobbos.

Well, I figured I might as well fill in the small lake under my south wall with obsidian.
    I neglected to demolish the buildings on the edge lake to build a retaining wall, figuring I could just pump a little bit.

Naturally the kid at the pumps went a little overboard, and half my fort burned down, including a pile of 150 wood (I saved 5 logs by hauling them underground), and 200 expertly crafted and designed empty bags, and the barracks under my archery tower. Only three dwarves died, somehow, one of which sacrificed himself to chop a hole in the outer wall and stop the flow of magma into the fort.

Right after I'd agreed with the elves to not chop down the forest...

3. - Top - End - #663
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's only elves. They can only zerg rush you with tall warriors willing and able to eat your very flesh while singing rustic folk songs and cavorting with giant eagles and elephants. Piece of cake.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2009-07-03 at 08:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

I got sieged by elves once. They walked up to my front gate and were promptly torn to bits by a bunch of champion swordsdwarves.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

Elves are like goblins with weaker weapons. Also they aren't a free source of iron for you smelters.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

6. - Top - End - #666
    Dwarf in the Playground

Speaking of iron sources, I'm managed to burn through 300 iron trying to train up some armorsmiths with a forge-melt-repeat loop. (I don't care about the money, I just want 10 masterwork suits of armor!)

There just aren't enough gobbos to feed my forges, even though I open the gates to ensure they all get inside and none of the metal runs away. :(

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Junkie View Post
    train up some armorsmiths
    That's your problem right there. Train up one at a time, and it'll go faster.

8. - Top - End - #668

Ok, oddball (and perhaps difficult) question, but how can I tell your typical river from a river canyon upon embark? I saw some screenshots of one recently, and now I want to run a fort that's a series of bridges strung out over it.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

I just bought a caged giant eagle from an elven caravan. It it safe to let it out of its cage, or will it kill all my dorfs?

10. - Top - End - #670

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Elves are like goblins with weaker weapons. Also they aren't a free source of iron for you smelters.
    But they give you wooden weapons, which can be used to prevent training accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just bought a caged giant eagle from an elven caravan. It it safe to let it out of its cage, or will it kill all my dorfs?
    If it's tamed, then yes, but I wouldn't, as it eats up framerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxymiuk View Post
    Ok, oddball (and perhaps difficult) question, but how can I tell your typical river from a river canyon upon embark? I saw some screenshots of one recently, and now I want to run a fort that's a series of bridges strung out over it.
    Look for steep cliffs where a river is during embark.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    If it's tamed, then yes, but I wouldn't, as it eats up framerate.
    Well, I let it out, and it hasn't mauled anyone so far. It does seem to have brown wounds to all its vitals, including its brain, just like all the other animals I bought off the elves.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Banned

Elves are cruel bastards, they tame animals by beating them into submission!
    All over the body, apparently.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

And inside the body, too.

By the way, will a dwarf ever adopt one of the more expensive animals? I have a 1000-dwarfbuck grizzly bear still looking for an owner, and I've had him for years.

Edit: Uhm... my bear is covered in puke. As in, full body coverage. I guess it's not such a good idea for a fuzzy animal to be hanging around an outdoors meeting area full of cave adapted dorfs.

Another edit: In fact, I looked around, and everyone in the meeting area is completely covered in vomit. And they've also puked all over my nice silver-and-gold floor mosaic!
    Last edited by Lord Herman; 2009-07-04 at 06:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxymiuk View Post
    Hit tab on the site-choosing screen until it gets to the elevation and cliff size screens. Look for big elevation changes and steep cliffs in the pattern you want.

Alternately, check out this thread on the official forums. It has a map you can d/l (or get the specs to gen yourself) that has exactly what it sounds like you're asking for.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2009-07-04 at 09:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #675

And inside the body, too.

By the way, will a dwarf ever adopt one of the more expensive animals? I have a 1000-dwarfbuck grizzly bear still looking for an owner, and I've had him for years.

Edit: Uhm... my bear is covered in puke. As in, full body coverage. I guess it's not such a good idea for a fuzzy animal to be hanging around an outdoors meeting area full of cave adapted dorfs.

Another edit: In fact, I looked around, and everyone in the meeting area is completely covered in vomit. And they've also puked all over my nice silver-and-gold floor mosaic!

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... a yellow arm wound means a dorf's arm is broken, right? One of my dorfs has a yellow wound on his brain. Does that mean his brain is broken?

Edit: Uh-oh. Tantrum spiral. In a 200-dorf fortress.

Another edit: Yup, this fortress is down the crapper. Axemurdered survived for 32 years, was obscenely rich and entirely self-sufficient, and was destroyed because one stupid planter decided to take a stroll outside during a siege.
    Last edited by Lord Herman; 2009-07-05 at 05:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm... a yellow arm wound means a dorf's arm is broken, right? One of my dorfs has a yellow wound on his brain. Does that mean his brain is broken?

Edit: Uh-oh. Tantrum spiral. In a 200-dorf fortress.

Another edit: Yup, this fortress is down the crapper. Axemurdered survived for 32 years, was obscenely rich and entirely self-sufficient, and was destroyed because one stupid planter decided to take a stroll outside during a siege.
    Yeah, yellow means "broken". Take that as you will with the brain. One way or another though, he's a permanent invalid: hurt dwarves stay in bed until they heal, and nervous system wounds never heal.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

Never had that happen to me. Probably because my champions have a tendency to murderate goblins before they can do much. Is why I stopped playing that fortress so much, actually...
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ogre in the Playground

Sucks when the dwarves all emo themselves to death.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

20. - Top - End - #680
    Halfling in the Playground

I just discovered this game a few days ago, so incredible, I love it. To anyone just browsing the thread, go check it out, it's awesome.
    If we the spirits hath offended, think but this and all is mended; that you didst slumber here, whilst this message didst appear.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

If a dwarf gets a yellow wound to his brain, spine, or neck, hes worthless. Arrange his death.

If a military dwarf gets even a light gray wound to any of these areas, he will no longer spar. If you want him to improve, he will have to become a marksman (They'll still shoot at the archery range). Another alternative is to have them train against wild animals or captured goblins... they'll still fight, they just wont spar.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    If a dwarf gets a yellow wound to his brain, spine, or neck, hes worthless. Arrange his death.

If a military dwarf gets even a light gray wound to any of these areas, he will no longer spar. If you want him to improve, he will have to become a marksman (They'll still shoot at the archery range). Another alternative is to have them train against wild animals or captured goblins... they'll still fight, they just wont spar.
    Correction: put him in the fortress/royal guard. He'll just sit in bed, but those two jobs are fairly useless anyhow unless you're training someone up.

Incidentally, I have found setting someone as a fortress guard makes them gain xp faster. As long as you switch them to military and put them in a squad before they hit the becoming a hero point you'll have a legendary champion much faster this way.

Too bad they didn't admire a fine door recently. Then they would've forgotten about their friend's death because damn that was some door let me tell you.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2009-07-06 at 12:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Banned

The thing is, my dwarves don't make friends. I make sure my main meeting hall is absurdly large, so my dwarves never really train their social skills. A small/fairly large decrease in overall dwarven attributes (small for a meeting hall that couldn't reasonably hold my whole fortress, fairly large for the "one square meeting hall(s)" idea that gets all dwarves to friend everybody) is a small price to pay when you consider that a single dwarf getting murdered probably won't depress anybody. Only my military really matters if they die, and they pretty much have an inverse relationship between their chance of dying and the number of friends they have.

I'm gonna start up a new fortress (or run an old one I still have on my flash drive).

Also, I don't think I could ever run a fortress for 32 years; by that time the goblin sieges generally stop being a threat.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    Too bad they didn't admire a fine door recently. Then they would've forgotten about their friend's death because damn that was some door let me tell you.
    Thing is, they did. My dorfs spent most of their time in either a meeting hall lined with sixteen ruby-encrusted platinum statues (of myself, of course), with a floor mosaic of olivine, microcline, bronze, silver, and gold, or in the dining hall with masterfully engraved floors and walls and solid platinum tables, chairs, and doors. But apparently, even that wasn't enough to keep them happy.

Oh, well. I'll just watch the fortress destroy itself some more, and then try adventurer mode.

Edit: Ah, I found out what happened. I just checked my food stockpile, and the only things there were inedible plants and ridiculously overpriced roasts. And my booze stockpile was filled with nothing but empty barrels.

Another edit: Alright, I'm starting a new fortress. This one is called Sutungammeb, "The Malodorous Dump", and the expedition is called Nukad, "The Victims". This time, I picked a spot with magma. This is going to be Fun!
    Last edited by Lord Herman; 2009-07-06 at 07:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Banned

Wait, do dorfs actually admire statues by value? I thought they admired them by craftsdorfship. And, I mean, if your platinum statues were masterwork that's all good, bu I was under the impression that it was better to just put your superior quality ones in your meeting hall and save the high value ones for noble demands.

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    Also, I don't think I could ever run a fortress for 32 years; by that time the goblin sieges generally stop being a threat.
    Goblin sieges aren't really a threat at all when you've played the game for long enough. Even when you're just starting out a single siege can be taken out by one lever, a bridge and a couple of traps which you can construct within your first season. Of course, if you get creative and only use military, or don't use marksmandorfs, or use ballista batteries, or lava, or pumps or cave-ins you can have fun even if you know the goblins don't have a chance anyway.

Ambushes are a little more annoying if you are just starting out and your defences are mechanical, especially if you haven't had time to build a wall or large imposing obsidian gate for the other races to tremble in fear of.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2009-07-06 at 08:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    Wait, do dorfs actually admire statues by value? I thought they admired them by craftsdorfship. And, I mean, if your platinum statues were masterwork that's all good, bu I was under the impression that it was better to just put your superior quality ones in your meeting hall and save the high value ones for noble demands.
    As far as I know, there isn't really any consensus one way or another. People know that material affects what dwarves consider an item's value when placed in a room (for instance, a dwarf who likes willow will think a =willow bed= costs more than an =oak bed= when thinking about what their room is worth, which comes in handy with nobles). Other than that, nobody knows exactly what combination of item quality, material, overall value, and/or other factors makes a dwarf admire something more.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, the Malodorous Dump died a quick death when all of the Victims starved because there weren't any edible plants or animals on the map.

Next fortress: Firedrowned, settled by the Glorious Vegetables. Another try at playing with magma. This time, I'm making a small moated castle on the highest hilltop, and build the rest of my fortress underground from there.

28. - Top - End - #688

Okay, the Malodorous Dump died a quick death when all of the Victims starved because there weren't any edible plants or animals on the map.

Next fortress: Firedrowned, settled by the Glorious Vegetables. Another try at playing with magma. This time, I'm making a small moated castle on the highest hilltop, and build the rest of my fortress underground from there.
    Don't forget to embark with lots of food this time.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Dwarf in the Playground

Edit: Ah, I found out what happened. I just checked my food stockpile, and the only things there were inedible plants and ridiculously overpriced roasts. And my booze stockpile was filled with nothing but empty barrels.
    Be sure to make a big stockpile of furniture->barrels only. That way the dwarfs will return their empties and prevent confusion as to how much you have in reserve.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Heh, so I've been playing around with the hermit challenge, and apparently stat increases simply don't stop, 16 isn't the limit. So I set him to just mine sand for years and I swear he runs over quintuple the normal speed now. It's pretty ridiculous. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I wonder if I keep going at it if his raw speed will go negative and crash the game.
    -"I believe in gender equality, so SHOOT ME YOU WUSSY!"
    -Oh hey, let's go steal the tv from the corpse house?" NOBODY HAS EVER SAID THAT UTAHRAPTOR!
    -Stan you're pointing a gun to GOD. I.. I can't even THINK of a better metaphor.