New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwarf fortress

1. - Top - End - #871
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf fortress

Better idea, build a huge resivour so you can flood your entire fortress.

Seriously though, I'd just channel a path down through each important room of the fortress. No point letting all that waterfall get wasted on that silly out-side thing.

Alternatively, I'd be tempted to make water cannons (like lava cannons but don't actually do anything). Have them fire onto a narrow walkway with a very deep pit underneath it. I just realised I'm used to having a roughly 7 z-level drop convenient on practically all my map, makes for great battles.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

2. - Top - End - #872
    Banned

If you're strapped for ore then you can get quite a bit from sieges. Just melt down the weapons and armour of the goblins that come and you've got a good 10 or so bars of iron. Sure, maybe that's not enough to make much, but it's better than nothing. And your dwarves can't use narrow armour anyhow.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2009-07-22 at 08:37 AM.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Not had any goblins yet, no ambushes, no sieges, only a couple of kobold thieves. I usually use the armour and clothes from goblins as a trading resource though, a few ambushes-worth usually lets me buy a whole caravan out :)

I just hit 81 dwarves so hopefully it'll pick up. However i have just found some lead, silkver and tin ores doing some exploratory mining on the bottom Z-level under my fortress. Saw some native copper elsewhere on the surface while scouting for trees that I might go mine and combine with the tin for bronze weapons and armour. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Still no luck on the magma front unfortunately, could do with a magma smelter or two.

EDIT: I laughed mightily at my first artifact, obviously the crafter was very proud of his own work :D

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    Is there a reliable way to find underground rivers under your fort? I keep visiting sites and I don't stumble on it (the founder of Boatmurdered never had this problem )

Also, can magma pipes be underground? That would explain a lot...
    Aside from magma pipes/pools, underground features can only show up in local tiles that are mountainous. In your init settings, you can choose to have features be completely hidden, visible when using the site finder, or visible always. This only applies when embarking at a location, and will at least let you know what 48x48 (or whatever the tile ratio is between local and ingame) area your feature is in.

And yes, pipes can be hidden underground.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground

Check our the latest Three Panel Soul. Interesting commentary on the dwarven economy.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

6. - Top - End - #876
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Check our the latest Three Panel Soul. Interesting commentary on the dwarven economy.
    Yeah, I noticed that. Too true really. Too true.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Link btw in case you need it.

So the dwarf is obviously a legendary leather worker (he made an artifact earring). What is the human there. Green is what? Marksman?
    Last edited by ObadiahtheSlim; 2009-07-22 at 11:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Probably, since non-merchant humans visiting fortresses don't seem to have non-military professions like ranger (the only other thing that would make him dark green)

9. - Top - End - #879
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by banthesun View Post
    Massive waterfall? Dwarves would love that.

On another note, wrestlers are meant to move on to actual weapons right? Even if they are champion? I haven't been able to due to shortages of wood to smelt ores (and not having an anvil yet). My champions weren't as great as I was hoping...
    Actually, I'm just keeping my fighters as wrestlers. See wrestling is the highest gaining experience in the game, so you get disturbing amounts of attributes when sparring as wrestlers. I think pretty soon each of my dwarves could take an entire siege by himself. Having full adamantine armor helps >.>
    -"I believe in gender equality, so SHOOT ME YOU WUSSY!"
    -Oh hey, let's go steal the tv from the corpse house?" NOBODY HAS EVER SAID THAT UTAHRAPTOR!
    -Stan you're pointing a gun to GOD. I.. I can't even THINK of a better metaphor.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

[rant]In my opinion, a dwarf has no right to be called a champion unless he has mastered (read: is legendary in) all aspects of combat. Infact, I really hate the way that when a combat dwarf gets legendary, regardless of what skill(s) he has, he flashes white. Makes it difficult to tell which squad is my marksmen, which ones have the axes, etc. If it were up to me, my marksdwarves would flash green, axedwarves blue, spearmasters yellow, swordmasters teal, etc.[/rant]

11. - Top - End - #881
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    [rant]In my opinion, a dwarf has no right to be called a champion unless he has mastered (read: is legendary in) all aspects of combat. Infact, I really hate the way that when a combat dwarf gets legendary, regardless of what skill(s) he has, he flashes white. Makes it difficult to tell which squad is my marksmen, which ones have the axes, etc. If it were up to me, my marksdwarves would flash green, axedwarves blue, spearmasters yellow, swordmasters teal, etc.[/rant]
    In the next version(due out sometime before next July), you get ONE champion. All other legendary soldiers will be listed as "Elite Marksdwarfs" or "Hammer lords".
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Then my ONE champion will be legendary in all areas of combat and the others will be specialized to wrestling, armor, shield, and their chosen weapon... Just as Armok intended it.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Halfling in the Playground

Hi all,
    I thought I'd do the Dwarfish thing and post while intoxicated (drinking homebrewed scotch made by an Accomplished Brewer).

Anyhoo, I was wondering whether you can send water over a constructed floor? I need to run some water across a chasm in order to built some wells and the only way I can think of is to put a floor across it and then build walls around the floor (No worries about flooding as I plan to run the water back into the chasm).

Several other questions have just occurred to me.
    Question the First: How can I find a place to site my trade depot?
    Question the second: Do Giant Cave Spiders Show up in the unit/creature page ("u")? I have a chasm and there seem to be an awful lot of web about the place, but I can't see any Giant Cave Spiders on the unit Page.
    Last edited by Terror_Incognito; 2009-07-23 at 03:58 AM.
    Marvel at my IMPRESSIVE (and Expensive) collection of Discworld Books!!!

14. - Top - End - #884
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terror_Incognito View Post
    Anyhoo, I was wondering whether you can send water over a constructed floor? I need to run some water across a chasm in order to built some wells and the only way I can think of is to put a floor across it and then build walls around the floor (No worries about flooding as I plan to run the water back into the chasm).
    Yeah, that should work.

Several other questions have just occurred to me.
    Question the First: How can I find a place to site my trade depot?
    Uh... Anywhere you can place a 5x5 building. Just make sure it has access to one of the surface map edges (you can check by hitting "D", and make sure its the capital "D", too).

Question the second: Do Giant Cave Spiders Show up in the unit/creature page ("u")? I have a chasm and there seem to be an awful lot of web about the place, but I can't see any Giant Cave Spiders on the unit Page.
    Giant Cave Spiders will only show up when they attack something, but their webs will show up as soon as something gets stuck in them. And are you sure that that is Giant Cave Spider web and not just Cave Spider web? You get silk either way, but Giant Cave Spider Silk is worth ten times as much.
    Last edited by Justyn; 2009-07-23 at 04:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #885

Thanks Justyn,
    Does hitting "D" show any access able areas? Or only access to your current trade depot? My map runneth over with no access marks.

Also is there any way to differentiate between normal cave spider and giant cave spider silk?

16. - Top - End - #886

Thanks Justyn,
    Does hitting "D" show any access able areas? Or only access to your current trade depot? My map runneth over with no access marks.
    You have to have at least one depot built, and D shows if any of them are accessible, and from where they are accessible.

Also is there any way to differentiate between normal cave spider and giant cave spider silk?
    "k"

17. - Top - End - #887

Thankyou,

That is a weight off my mind.

I was expecting for my dorfs to eaten to the last dorf by a then legendary giant cave spider.

18. - Top - End - #888

Thankyou,

That is a weight off my mind.

I was expecting for my dorfs to eaten to the last dorf by a then legendary giant cave spider.
    Once something is revealed, it stays revealed; so once you know where one is, you can just have your dorfs avoid the area. And just to let you know, Giant Cave Spiders lurk: they stay in the same area and wait for you to come to them.

19. - Top - End - #889

That is good to know, but fortunately I think I only have Cave Spiders not GIANT Cave Spiders according to the silk that I k'd.

I also feel like right elf. Of course I'm not going to have any access to the depot I Haven't Built.
    Last edited by Terror_Incognito; 2009-07-23 at 06:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

You call that fortunate... I WANT to find a giant cave spider but never could...

The things are tamable you know ^_^

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks Justyn,
    Accessable to your current depot. You make the depot and then (if necessary) screw with the terrain to ensure that the green goes all the way to the edge of the map.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

22. - Top - End - #892
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

For trade depot access it has to have a 3 width trail for the caravan to be able to reach it and can only go up and down ramps, not stairways.

I have a fortress around a volcano.. plenty of obsidian but I have to keep an eye on the two fire imps and the fireman...

I wish I could find a site with a chasm, volcano and a river.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah and if you want to add to that flux and sand, you will have to generate many worlds and do a lot of searching. Even more if you want to add a sedimentary level for all the wonderful ores found in it.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ettin in the Playground

Or try Dwarf Heaven.
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, looks like they found the holy grail of 6x6 sites. River, magma, HFS, GCS, chasm, flux, sand. Wow. Just Wow.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

... How? ... What? ... Damn! ... GRARRRGHH!!!

Lucky...

Is it savage evil by any chance? Or at the very least, savage neutral?

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ettin in the Playground

The post says temperate wilderness.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

True so no Giant Eagles. However they do have plenty of GCS from what I read in that thread. Certainly makes for fun.

29. - Top - End - #899

Made a new fort (again!). This one is on the edge of an evil (sinister, I believe) mountain cluster, just far enough for some trees, but just close enough to have a high hill with some zombies on it (ooh, bad zombie )

There's also an undead Giant Eagle flitting about (and it scares me half to joining it).

I found a large hill (or wannabe plateau) and hollowed it out, and made it into a fortress. I even fortified the entrance with what will at one point be a wooden pillbox (good thing there's no goblin firestarters), shaved all of the slopes off of the walls, and even made a little, detached silo underneath it just large enough for a trade depot.

I have learned to treat haunted regions of the world like eternal warzones, at last.

... Next, I should make an underground path out of the zombie hill. There may be... Immigrants... Walking through there...

Well, panicking through there, at least. Took a month for my first wave to get through. And there was a single zombie gremlin in their path (which I killed. They still walked in circles for a while).

... Also, the Boatmurdered thing was a joke. Though it was relevant (it was in a straight path from the ground level). Wow, that sounded kind of angry...
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

30. - Top - End - #900

Hooray, I got a caravan and migrants (for the first time EVER).

Since I can now start building more than basic defences I need to know if ballistas can fire through two rows of fortifications? Also is there any risk of friendly fire if I position my ballistas opposite each other but offset slightly?