New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default For the Horde! IC Thread

Spoiler
    Show
    First, some background info:

For the last 100 years, the entire known world has been unified under one Parthenon, the Silver Flames. It includes every human, elf, dwarf, gnome, and halfling. And the followers of the Silver Flames, members of all five "Civilized" races, rule the entire Silver Plains-a large area nestled between the Ya'ar Forest to the North, the Edge Mountains to the West, the Whitebone Desert to the East, and a seemingly endless open space to the South.

The Plains are the only civilized area in the known world. The Whitebone Desert is too dry to sustain any life farther then tribes of nomads, most of whom aren't members of the "Civilized" races. The desert is home to Goliaths, Orcs, Goblinoids, and many other monstrous races.

The Ya'ar Forest was originally the homeland of the Elves, but they all left their ancestral homes when they joined the humans under the Silver Flames, eventually seamlessly melding into the nation of the Silver Lantern. Only a few lizardfolk and goblins still live there, along with a few giants.

The Edge Mountains were originally home to the Dwarfs, but they too abandoned their home for the comforts of the Silver Lantern. Today, the Edge Mountains are largely uninhabited. Only a few hill and stone giants survive there.

The Southern Plains are also uninhabited, due to their poor soil quality compared to the Silver Plains. Humanoids living here are mostly herders or hunter-gatherers.

Because of the geography of the land, the people of Silver Lantern know nothing about other nations or parts of the world. The Whitebone Desert is too big to cross, and even if someone DOES cross it, gigantic mountains far to the East block the way.

The Edge mountain range is amazingly tall, and notoriously difficult to cross. Even flying creatures have trouble crossing the valleys between peaks, as they are so high. In fact, it is possible to cross only in one place: a path leading away from a village called Passhall. But even its residents never cross the mountain, as it is still a tough climb, and the other side is rumored to be very dangerous, with monsters unheard of in the Silver Lantern.

The Ya'ar Forest to the North is also very dangerous and thick, or at least it has been since the Elves left. And crossing it doesn't do much; all there is in the far North is a tundra, followed by a frozen sea.

To the South, the Southern Plains are relatively easy to cross, but offer no reward. Nobody wants to settle there, as the land is too poor for crops, and the South only leads to the ocean. There is no point living on the sea if there are no nations to trade with, and as far as anyone in the Silver Lantern knows, there are no other nations.

Because of the unification of the five civilized races, it may seem Racism isn't a problem in the Silver Lantern. But it is. The original rulers of the nation, a paladin order of the same name, has long encouraged equal rights to all races, even Monstrous Humanoids. But the people never liked this idea, and so, citizenship was never granted to any other races. But recently, in the last twelve years, the Black Candle has taken over. While this order of paladins worships the same Parthenon, they are far more radical in their treatment of humanoids other then the five races: They believe all other races must be exterminated. And they are powerful. Over their bloody reign, nearly all monstrous races were horribly decimated. And now, it is common knowledge that the Black Candle is planning a Last Crusade: They will wipe out every monstrous race, or die trying.

Please don't post here until I start the actual storyline.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: For the Horde! IC Thread

SILVER LANTERN DETAILS:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are only two large cities in the Silver Lantern. Wethall, the smaller one, is located in a river delta. The other city, The Silver Lantern, is a metropolis of those who wish to be close to the headquarters of the paladin order in power. This city is highly religious, and filled with clerics, paladins... and crime.

The rest of the Plains are mostly farms, with a castle or hall every few miles. These are the homes of the feudal lords, who have peasants work their surrounding farms for them. Villages are pretty rare, with only three or four with a population of over one hundred. Most people are peasants, working in a feudal lord's castle or farms.

It was during these uncertain times that a few of those that humans considered "Monstrous" came into position to possibly save their collective races. There were eight of them, and they met in an unlikely place for the future saviors of a race to begin: In a dungeon.

Glorkwin
    A young ogre, seemingly wiser then many of his race, found his way into human imprisonment when he was ambushed by a group of dwarven vigillanties. They captured him, beat him, and delivered him to the authorities in Wethall. There he was interogated as to his tribe's location, and when he refused to answer, was placed into a dungeon with many other "Monstrous" humanoids. His crime? Being an ogre.

Skelim
    A bugbear cleric of high standing in his tribe, Skelim was sent to a nearby Orc tribe to ask for help in fortifying their village. Skelim, however, was betrayed by the Orcs, who were forced by paladins to help capture Skelim and his tribe in return for their lives. The paladins killed the whole Orcish tribe, however-an act which was not condemned by their deity, but in fact encouraged-and then tried to pry the location of Skelim's tribe away from him. He refused to answer, however, and was sentanced to a public hanging in the nearby city of Wethall, where he was placed in a dungeon for the night with many other "Monsters".

Eglath
    Eglath was a Goliath who believed that the strong should rule the weak. And quite clearly, Goliaths were strong. Only he failed to notice the strength of civilization until it was too late; he was exiled from his tribe. Wandering the plains instead of the desert, humans saw him as a monster, and did not treat him with the civility that they treat Goliaths in the desert. So Eglath was captured, and put into a dungeon with the rest of them. His radical beliefs made him the most dangerous one of all, and possibly the only one whose imprisonment was justified.

Jila
    Jila was one of the few male harpies. He was leading the good life: Many wives, a good home... Everything a harpy could want. And then the Black Candle took it all away. His many wives, his eggs, his home: All broken, destroyed. While trying to get revenge on the humans, one hit him with a poisoned arrow. He fell asleep, and rather then kill him, his captors decided they would get the bounty that the Black Candle was handing out, and took him to Wethall. The harpy was imprisoned, his wings bound with chains, and he was locked in a dungeon with many other creatures, awaiting his execution on the morrow.

Tz'ztik
    The Thri-Keen barbarian was captured by a traveling adventurer, originally to be sold as a slave or exotic pet. But when the adventurer heard of the Black Candle's new fetish of hanging as many exotic races at once, he offered to sell them this creature. They accepted, and that was how Tz'ztik found himself locked in a dungeon with a few other monsters.

Dovan
    The doppleganger has hid in Wethall for many years, but finally, in a stroke of bad luck, he was captured. Although he was relatively innocent for a doppleganger, with only a theft or two under his belt, he was sentenced to death without a trial.

Adder
    The vampire found his way into the dungeon in a pretty unremarkable matter: an angry mistress turned him in. To torture him, the guards bound him in the only sunlit area in the subterranean dungeon, and it was pure luck that a begger happened to sit by the tiny window for most of the day. The little sunlight draining through nearly killed him again, though, and it was a miracle that the sun went down when it did, and not a few minutes later.

Vritarr
    The gnoll paladin was a champion of her deity, far more dedicated than any of the self-centered paladins of the Black Candle. But her deity has never given her a direct sign... Until that one fateful day. She was just waking up when her whole body froze. Before her, she saw a powerful Orcish warrior wielding a greataxe, who spoke to her at length. He told her she must get a nation for his people, the Monstrous Humanoids, or they will all be destroyed by the Black Candle. When the vision ended, she was in a dungeon. The soldiers carried her off in her stupor.

As the group of human-like creatures sat around the dungeon, a guard led in a small, old goblin. After the guard left, the goblin began talking to the amassed creatures. He told them of bygone times, when the Monstrous Humanoids had their own nation. He told them of the glory, the riches, the lack of humiliation. And then he told them that they must work together to rebuild that nation. Suddenly, a guard returned. He unlocked the door, pulled the goblin off his feet, and took him away. As he was dragged off, the goblin gave a wry smile and dropped a key on the floor.

It was the key to the dungeon's door.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Skelim

Skelim wasted no time in hurrying forward and scooping up the key. Immediately he tried the key on his manacles, attempting to get them off first.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Vritarr

The hyena-like warrior had sat silent through the goblin's speech, though she had hung intent on his every word; now, a similar intensity was focused on the key that lay by the door.

Such influence! So great was Bolg that even here, in a stronghold of his enemy's chosen warriors, his hand could bring them more of the knowledge needed to carry his will... and then deliver to them the very means of taking the first step!

Her ears twitched atop her head; she leaned over to the door, and listened. She looked out, trying to see as far as she could, the shadow of the dungeon easily pierced by her eyes to outline the world in shades of grey. She sniffed the air. The stench of their weakness, what they called "good", had faded. She watched Skelim pick up the key with a dangerous light in her eyes; she was inclined to think of the tiny object as symbol of Bolg's might.

"We are given one chance to show our strength," she muttered, half to herself. Words of caution, and encouragement; they would need to use all their skills to get free, for they could suffer no chance of failure.
    Last edited by Jukashi; 2009-06-14 at 01:04 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Jila

Jila softly hissed as the bugbear tried to use the key, baring his teeth and craning his neck forward. Feathers began to drift to the ground as his hope rose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The Doppleganger was playing. He cared very little for talk of nation's and glory. He felt no kinship with those trapped in the Jail Cell. He was bored, and to keep his mind off it, he was changing shape randomnly. As the Goblin spoke, he went back and forth, his form flitting between dwarf, elf, orc, human, and numerous others. However, when the Goblin dropped the key, he smiled.

Time to leave.

The Doppleganger flickered again, shrinking this time. He hadn't wanted to show this trick to the guards. After all, he'd only get to do it once. He became a Halfling, tipping his hands slightly and watching the Manacles just fall off. Again it flickered, this time taking the form of a Human Guardsman. He wasn't any single one, just a normal human, blonde with a bit of a beard, wearing the Uniform.

"Hand me that key, and I think I can walk us all out of here. Show these fools why you don't lock up Dovan."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Eglath

Elgath barely paid the Goblin any head, seeing his ramblings of a man who could no longer fight on his own. No way I'm staying in here like that guy, I'm getting out of here soon enough...Though his method of escape came much sooner then he had though when he saw the key drop to the ground.

He gave a menacing smile as the Bugbear began opening the door, "Seems we all have a common goal," his voice was low, but filled with malice, "Though we should make our getaway, lets say we rough these guys up first. Make em' pay for throwing us in this hole."
    Last edited by Corncracker; 2009-06-14 at 02:09 AM.
    http://www.twentysides.comli.com/phpbb3/index.php
    A small D20 based community, recently started and just starting to grow.

8. - Top - End - #8

Jila

The harpy swiveled his head to face the enormous grey creature. Crooning with respect, Jila said "I am not at all opposed to that, no, not at all. But there is a problem, I think, for those of us who lack your brutish strength. They are many, and we are few, and they have taken my weapons. I think, maybe, we should leave our vengeance for the time being, until we may even the playing field." His talons began to twitch at the thought of eviscerating all these filthy hoomans, and a thin line of saliva had escaped the corners of his mouth. He couldn't wait to taste their flesh again...
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The Doppleganger shook his head, and pointed at himself. Dovan wasn't the oldest Doppleganger, and he hadn't developed his full powers yet, so he didn't know quite what they were thinking. But he thought his whole ability to mimic the guards would bring to mind another plan then just hit them till they break.

"You guys can fight, if you want. Anybody who feels like not pointlessly charging at armed guards with your bare hands can follow me."

The Doppleganger was serious. He wouldn't force anyone to come with him. Who knew, maybe charging the guards would work out. But he was willing to bet his plan had the smart bet going for it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Eglath

"How far do you think we'll actually make it though?" Eglath asked, "We're slated to be killed. And soon. What possible reason could you come up with for leading us somewhere else? If that plan backfires, we could be in trouble. I'd rather take them out while they are spread out now and surprised then chance them finding us out getting the jump on us."
    Last edited by Corncracker; 2009-06-14 at 02:08 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Dovan

The Doppleganger shrugged, smiling at the Bugbear.

"Further then you will get charging into them, I'm betting. Honestly, feel free to do so however. A distraction would make my, and whoever comes with me, escape all but certain."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Duke Adder

The tall, thin vampire sat alone on the side, his shackles tearing at his arms as he'd tried to get away from the hates sun. Bloody witch, I'll get back at her someday... Seeing the goblin come in and then leave the key. Smiling a hard smile he got up and waited for the key to be passed to him. Once free he walked over to the doppleganger. "I'll go with the shifter and scout at least. I've some small skill thanks to my... late... mistress." He smiles at the irony, debating once again the state of his "life." "I suggest we team up and progressively work our way out of here, supporting each other as needed. After that, well, to each his own, though we may yet need to cooperate to get out of this town."
    Last edited by phoerix; 2009-06-14 at 04:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    Though necromancy would solve the second problem and render the third irrelevant...
    But then you'd be dealing with explosive zombie fish, which is... pretty damn awesome, actually.
    As they pounded in the stake
    I thought I heard them say
    “Become like us or you will be slain”

13. - Top - End - #13

DrowGuy

Glorkwin

The ogre listens as the goblin talks of the before time. He wonders why the guards bought him in just to take him back. Stupid humans don't know what they are doing. If I get free of my shackles their necks will yeild to my hands. Then suddenly he notices the clamour that the fallen key has caused and he makes his way to the object of his freedom. Now humans die!!!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Skelim

Skelim frowns as he hands the key to the nearest humanoid, rubbing his wrists to restore blood flow. He frowns as the others argue. "We won't get far without our stuff. They're sure to have it around here somewhere. I suggest we work together to find it. After that we can figure out how to get out alive. After that....who knows?"

15. - Top - End - #15

Spoiler
    Show
    Guys, the key didn't open your chains-it opens the door. That said, our vampire was removed from the sunlit corner when the sun went down, so he's now as free as everyone else in the room.

So, you're in a room with a locked door and a key to the other side. All of you except Dovan are shackled, and you have no weapons. Oh, and Jila's wings are tied up, too.

16. - Top - End - #16

Jila takes the key, nodding along. As he fumbles with the manacles, he says "The bugbear is right. We need our things first. Then we may feast." The manacles drop from his wrists, and he caws excitedly. He then reaches behind his back, twisting and turning, but to no avail. He hands the key to the next creature, and asks it to get the chains off his wings.

Spoiler
    Show

Whoops, didn't see that Babale. I'd fix my post, but I have to leave for work...]
    Last edited by Marillion; 2009-06-14 at 10:54 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Vritarr

The gnoll snorts as the others fumble with the key, trying each of their manacles in turn; it's clear that it does not fit that lock. From what she saw of the door when it was opened, however, it did look to suit the keyhole there...

"Shapeshifterr," she growled at the doppleganger, her use of the Common tongue slightly accented with orcish roughness. "Hyou are the only one with hands free. I think hyou know hyou can't escape hyoorself - the ghuards at the main doors are certain to know everyone who can gho in and out, and when. Inside, however..."

She makes a gesture with her head towards the door.

"Hyou can ghet to the ghuardhouse, and find the keys to our manacles. It is dark, and no-one is likely to care if you tell them... oh, that you took the wrong set, or whateverr. Come back here with them, and the keys to the other doors. We'll let the other prisoners out, and make our escape in the confusion."

She grins. "Perhaps we can even make a small army from them, eh?"
    Last edited by Jukashi; 2009-06-14 at 12:17 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

DrowGuy

Seeing that this is not the key to the mantacles does not deter the ogre. He makes a motion to the others in the group like as though to use his chains as a garrotte, then leans forward as though to start at the guards.

19. - Top - End - #19

Spoiler
    Show
    So, what do you guys do? I guess we're waiting for our Doppleganger to approve the plan of him going to get the keys?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Dovan

OOC: I'm assuming the Goblin still has the key.

Dovan thought for a moment. He could try slipping out. Just walk off an leave. That might be the abstractly smart thing to do. But he didn't have any intention of doing that.

The notion of having an entire room of prisoners vanish is just to good...

"Give me the key. I won't promise to come back, or anything. You'd be idiots to trust something like that, if I did. I'll just say that these guards have irritated me, and I rather like the notion of having an entire cell vanish."

Dovan stretched, rolling his head. He wasn't particuraly fond of the Human Form. It was boring.

"So hand over the key, and stay put, alright?"

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Tackyhillbillu View Post
    [COLOR="royalblue"]
    OOC: I'm assuming the Goblin still has the key.
    Actually, the goblin was dragged out of the cell, and as he left, he dropped his key.

Or do you mean the bugbear?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: Bugbear, yeah. Got confused.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

Tz'ztik

Seeing that the others failed to open their manacles with the key the Thri-Keen became restless. It seemed like he kept forgetting the manacles around his wrists and tried to move his arms freely. Each time an arm was stopped by the manacles he seemed to emit some click-noices, sometimes the clicks were instead replaced by short outbursts of common words such as "No stop armmm!", "Get-offff!" and "Armmm get-outttt!".
    Just after Dovan had spoken Tz'ztik addressed the others in the room for the first time. What the others heard was this:
    "Give him keyz. It not does free armmmz. We go free armms other place!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Jukashi View Post
    Vritarr

The gnoll snorts as the others fumble with the key, trying each of their manacles in turn; it's clear that it does not fit that lock. From what she saw of the door when it was opened, however, it did look to suit the keyhole there...

"Shapeshifterr," she growled at the doppleganger, her use of the Common tongue slightly accented with orcish roughness. "Hyou are the only one with hands free. I think hyou know hyou can't escape hyoorself - the ghuards at the main doors are certain to know everyone who can gho in and out, and when. Inside, however..."

She makes a gesture with her head towards the door.

"Hyou can ghet to the ghuardhouse, and find the keys to our manacles. It is dark, and no-one is likely to care if you tell them... oh, that you took the wrong set, or whateverr. Come back here with them, and the keys to the other doors. We'll let the other prisoners out, and make our escape in the confusion."
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/editor/color.gif
    She grins. "[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue']Perhaps we can even make a small army from them, eh?[/COLOR]"
    Eglath

Hm, I like your thinking, smiled the Goliath, Destruction and escape, we'll get the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by Corncracker; 2009-06-14 at 05:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm presuming that we've already tried to muscle out of our shackles even with the strongest among us helping.

The ogre strains against his bonds while looking at the doppleganger. These must rolldxiblidng!!!! Then to emphasise his point he starts bashing his restrainsts against the floor or other object that looks harder than his bonds.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Skelim

Skelim glances around at the others, then looks at the doppelganger, holding out the key. "Here. Just don't lock the door behind you. If anything happens to you, at least we'll have a chance."

27. - Top - End - #27

Jila

Jila quietly squawks, feathers now falling out almost continually. "But, but you must come back! Without you, we are lost. I am the last Greyclaw alive! My flock cannot all die!" The harpy lifted his leg to his mouth and began to nervously gnaw on his ankle, muttering inconsolably to himself.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Dovan

Dovan flickered again at the words of Jila, taking on the form of a Harpy himself for a moment, before flickering back to the form of his nameless Human Guard. He might enjoy flying for a bit. Maybe more then secreting some prisoners out.

No, first this.

"I don't have to do anything, little Birdy. I can just fly away. But I will be back. The notion of annoying these guards has a charm, and it will get them back for trying to chain me up, and boring me."

Dovan takes the key from Skelim, unlocking the door, and stepping outside. He shut the door behind him, leaving it unlocked however. He looked about, getting his bearings before he set off.

29. - Top - End - #29

I think since this is a solo adventure, we'll run it by PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Vritarr

As the doppleganger departs, the gnoll who suggested his plan turns to the other prisoners: she focuses on the ogre in particular.

"Hyou will follow the plan as I have made," she growls, baring her teeth in a snarl. "Our captors are those who have studied long to slay our kind, so we will need all our strength - of body and of mind! - to escape their prison. Even when we have ghone, then, they will pursue us. They have pride, and their weakling ghods will curse them for their failure if they do not put it to rights by our destruction. We die if we do not fight together, now and after. That, you should know, if hyou have any brains at all."

She narrows her cold eyes at them.

"And if hyou don't, and think to do otherwise, then let me assure you that before they kill us I will take my final moments to make hyours a little... lacking. In several organs."