New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Concordium

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default The Concordium

it is early in the morning, and sunny. and the sun is starting to shine brightly through the windows of Alcazar.

(OOC: Also finally up! you guys can start doing whatever you like, dragon slaying ect.)
    Last edited by teh_meh; 2009-06-28 at 10:13 AM.
    Un-expected spanish inquisition avatar by Half_Halfling

Spoiler
    Show

When people say "life is short". What the h*ll??? Life is the longest d*mn thing anyone ever does!!! What can you do thats longer? - unkown

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." --J. Danforth Quayle

"Sanity is a small price to pay for happiness." --Marabeth Madsen

"I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it." --Unknown

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Concordium

Daken heads to the meeting room to discuss the days plans/events/crimes with his fellows, he carries his bow with him

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cargean and Zephyr make there way from their room to the conference room. "So, you up for some fun today Zeph?" Cargean said to Zeph. "Always!" The air elemental said, with an odd whispy voice.
    Halfling Monk (Avatar by Miss Nobody)
    Carpal tunnel has subsided, so I'm back hopefully

Spoiler: My games and characters
    Show
    Deralis Legan, the Half-Elf Marshal

Owlbear Hollow Mercenaries the game I'm running

4. - Top - End - #4

Leaving his study, Gray Tom walks to the meeting room as well. Azazel flies out of his shrine/bedroom and perches on Tom's shoulder.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGirl

ESHALYN

Eshalyn, as her habit, had been outside, on a rock, basking in the warm sun to get her going. When she hears the sound of people up and about in the castle, she lifts one eye lazily to look into the conference room. It is not yet, full, so she adjusts herself to take in as many more rays as she can, waiting until most of the crew is there, until uncoiling and strolling in.
    Sssssso, doessss anyone have any really interesssssting ideassss up for today?

6. - Top - End - #6

I motion that we slay dragons, especially metallic ones, we can donate to the town, which would give us credibility in their eyes, and make it more fun to wreck later As Daken says this, he stands before the pool of scrying (bottom right corner) and commands it "Pool, Show me nearby metallic dragons and their lair, if they have young so much the better"
    Last edited by Sissyphus; 2009-06-29 at 12:19 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

(not really sure how a pool would respond....) but it shows an image of a family of copper dragons consisting of a very old looking dragon, and two younger looking ones just 3 miles west of here.
    Un-expected spanish inquisition avatar by Half_Halfling

Spoiler
    Show

When people say "life is short". What the h*ll??? Life is the longest d*mn thing anyone ever does!!! What can you do thats longer? - unkown

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." --J. Danforth Quayle

"Sanity is a small price to pay for happiness." --Marabeth Madsen

"I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it." --Unknown

8. - Top - End - #8

Firstly, Cargean insures he is close to Eshalyn in the circle around the scrying pool and smiles at her.

Responding to the picture, "Perfect, they lack the immunity to Electricity that spits in the face of The Elemental Eye" Cargean says, grinning maniacally.

Show

9. - Top - End - #9

"And let us not forget that dragons can be reanimated into flying shock troops."

Azazel smirks at Cargean, giving him a knowing look.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

10. - Top - End - #10

Cluverius appears between one moment and the next, a book open in one hand, spectacles on the tip of his nose, reading intently. His two familiar devils are, as always, at his elbows, haviong materialized in the same instant. Gormengast, the male, looks like nothing so much as a bored young nobleman. Fierna, the female, sports the distinctive horns of a tiefling...but all of you are wise enough to recognize that she is something much more dangerous. The old man looks up, unruffled, and coughs to clear his throat. He has the look of a man who's been up all night.

Hem, hem. Pardon my absence. One does get caught up in research.

The pool catches his eyes, and he stares into it over his tiny reading lenses.

Ah, copper metallic. Judging from the greenish hue, I'd say that one's getting on in years. Still, it's generally known that copper dragons don't cause problems for nearby sentients unless provoked. If we're to gain anything from destroying this one - and I assume that was the plan - perhaps we ought to engage in rumor-mongering first. Build up local fear...perhaps destroy a few herds of livestock under the guise of that dragon? Now that we've seen it, of course, we can mimic its exact appearance...
    Last edited by Vox Clamantis; 2009-06-28 at 03:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

"Cluverius, that is brilliant. Maybe the image we make could even attract some dragon hunters who we could kill and reanimate, or even convert to our side" Cargean said, lightning appearing in his hand, "I can be fairly convincing"

Show

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGirl

ESHALYN

Eshalyn returns Cargean's smile before turning her attention to the pool.
    Copper dragons...who knows what sort of breath weapons they have? Best to prepare ourselves with that sort of immunity, and also not waste time using energy attacks they themselves are immune to.
    Eshalyn considers the plan of mimicing the dragons for a moment.
    I also like the plan of perhaps luring dragon hunters to deal with it. However, I do ask that in this, or any future endeavor, that if we capture a bard or druid, that I get first crack to make a deal with him or her.

13. - Top - End - #13

Cargean grins slyly at the snake woman, "and I suppose 'first crack at' is a cleverly disguised innuendo?"

Show

14. - Top - End - #14

"Copper dragons are immune to acid. They can also breathe a gas that slows the movement of it's victims, but I doubt that would help it against us. Does anyone have an illusion spell to mimic a dragon?"

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGirl

ESHALYN

No innuendo implied actually. Bards and druids both can cast a spell that I desire. When I catch one of them, I will force him or her to help me create it as a spell of sorcery.

16. - Top - End - #16

Cargean smiles slyly, "Suuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrreee," he says to Eshalyn, nudging her playfully. He then turns to the group, waiting for an illusionist to speak up

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazarus

Lazarus appeared with little in the way of fanfare. Despite the wizard's occasionally showy predilictions, he knew that there was a time and a place for pomp and circumstance, and neither of those were here or now.

Either adventurers or dragons would be more than welcome. I can always use a few hardy souls. He said with a sly grin, accepting a mug of hot tea from the ever-present Giles.

Personally, I don't think type really matters for my purposes, other than that Golds and Reds are the most powerful - therefore the most desirable for my creative endeavours and incidentally the most likely to have large sums of gold. My own magical arsenal does not rely on any particular element, so I am able to deal with whatever type we might encounter...

he coughed. Although we should probably avoid the Force and Prismatic varieties. Even a Wyrmling of those species is a terrible foe, and their elders are nigh-on godlike.

He gave an evil little grin. Personally, I say we find a dragon, then pay a few minstrels to start spreading stories about it. That sort of thing always gets adventureous idiots ready to go do a righteous deed or simply have a legitimate excuse to metaphorically kick down the door and swipe someone else's property. We wait until they're engaged, then swoop in ourselves, not only making both parties easier targets, but increasing the wealth we gain from the experience.
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2009-06-28 at 10:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

"I knew there was something I liked about you Laz," the gnome said to the man drinking his tea. Cargean's wings of flying activated so he could fly up to pat Lazarus approvingly on the soldier

Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Noting Lazarus' tea with approval, Cluverius mutters something to Gormengast without turning his head. A look of bored disinterest crosses the devil's face, and he teleports away without so much as a word. The old man takes off his reading spectacles and slips them into his robe.

I could create the necessary illusion, but I would prefer to program the requisite memories into a number of locals. One never can tell how the subjects will respond to an illusion, but an implanted memory can be formed entirely to specification. The disgruntled devil reappears with a snifter of brandy, which his lovely counterpart passes to Cluverius. He accepts the crystal absentmindedly. Thank you, my dear. Anyway, I am prepared to enact whichever option is agreed upon by the majority. Passing his book off to one of his devils, he notices the alcohol in his hand and swirls it around, sniffing it with the air of a connoisseur.

20. - Top - End - #20

"I believe i could arrange for some rumor mongering, i can easily pose as an old dragon hunter and spread rumors of the terrible crimes the metallic dragons commit, making it easy for the "Society for the benefit of misunderstood people and creatures" to finance a small party of adventurers to go and take the dragons on. As to destroying livestock, if you cloak me in the guise of that dragon, i can arrange for that easily, and as a bonus, i bet if we take a moment to pinpoint anyone in town smart enough to identify this as out of character for a Bronze dragon i can eliminate them too" As Daken Says this, he pats Blood singer lightly, and telepathically alerts blood singer, Soon we may hunt the flesh of those who bleed once more, we shall make their blood flow
    Last edited by Sissyphus; 2009-06-29 at 12:22 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazarus

Lazarus sipped at the tea. He did so enjoy the finer things in life, and Giles' personal blend certainl qualified. Impeccable, as always. He savored the aroma for a few moments before speaking up.

As you will. Though the metallics, with their reputation for good-hearted, soppy-eyed nobility of spirit might prove a tough sell in that department. The Chromatic breeds have more of an infamous reputation. Still, a dragon is a dragon, and the promise of enough wealth will generally make most folk overlook questions of morality.

Personally, I couldn't care less. All that matters to me is the wealth of the horde and the strength of the soul. If I can gather enough souls of sufficient power, it will put us well on our way to acquiring even more significant power - that is, I'll be able to create enough magical arms, armor, and acoutraments to outfit a fighting force. With such an advantage, even a relatively small military would be able to carve out a decent kingdom. Magical artillery will be of particular importance - wands and so forth will provide the ideal way for even inexperienced spellcasters to decimate whole regiments.
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2009-06-29 at 12:56 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Indeed it will, with magical artillery small bands of skirmishers can easily overpower larger armies, especially if we manage to take out any leaders in advance, leaving disorganized blocks of soldiers milling around

23. - Top - End - #23

Cluverius

Nodding throughout, Cluverius taps the snifter against his lips meditatively before responding.

Hm. There is also the problem of other such dragons. The destruction of so antique a wyrm would not go unnoticed by its own kind. Perhaps if we could trick the dragon into being the aggressor? In that way we might present ourselves as the victims...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazarus

Lazarus made a little "hmmm"-ing noise as he spoke. Good point. But are the dragons really so organized that it would be a problem? And how do you suggest we trick said dragon into acting as the aggressor? Frankly, knowing the nature of dragons, I have a feeling that if they're inclined to care that we killed on of their number, any excuse we may offer won't placate them. I understand they tend to see anything non-draconic rather dimly.

25. - Top - End - #25

That was my understanding too, instead, if we get however a group of adventurers to front, then kill the dragon and mind blank the adventurers or something, make them unaware it was us, then perhaps we could trick the dragons into attacking the adventuring group, giving us a reason to step in as the "Society for the benefit of misunderstood people and creatures" and stop the dragons, preferably fatally and place the adventurers under our protection, that is take them to the Prison cell for whenever we want to use them

26. - Top - End - #26

Cluverius

The devils have begun a muttered conversation, ultimately requiring that Cluverius shoot them a stern, silencing look before answering.

The tendency of my kindred to underestimate mortal cleverness may work to our advantage. A rare admission that Cluverius is himself partially descended from silver dragons. Dragons are not natural detectives. They, like the townspeople, will be easily fooled if the lie is a likely one. The lines of his face look particularly deep as he furrows his forehead in focusing on the discussion. I propose a double deception, worthy of our combined power. First, to convince the townspeople that the proximate dragon is an enemy despite its coloration. The means for this we have already discussed. Second, to displace the immediate blame for the death of the dragon while still reaping the appreciation of the locals for bringing it about. For that, let us publicly advertise that we shall pay adventurers to negotiate with the dragon, and then pose as applicants and, under said guise, destroy the beast. In such a way, all of our talents are best employed.

Is that acceptable?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazarus

Lazarus stroked his chin. A good plan, overall. The only flaw that I can see is that it leaves us no one to throw to the dragons as a scapegoat, should they seek vengeance.

28. - Top - End - #28

Cluverius

Having publicly established our good intentions, we can provide any dragons pursuant of justice with the bodies of a few adventurers and the suggestion that we caught the culprits in order to make up for whatever part we played in the unfortunate slaying. It is the sort of thing just and well-meaning defenders of the people might do, is it not?

But no plan is ever perfect. I will not be offended by corrections or improvements...
    Last edited by Vox Clamantis; 2009-06-29 at 02:46 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazarus

Lazarus nodded thoughtfully. Indeed, that might work... I suppose I think it might be a bit more neat if we had some adventurers with implated memories, so that the Dragons could have something to take out their vengance on, but your plan doesn't leave open the possibility of the spell failing or being broken. In either case, the first step is to put out the call for adventurers and learn as much as we can about our target - their habits, their personality, and especially their resources, mundane and magical, and the layout of their lair.

30. - Top - End - #30

BardGirl

ESHALYN

Eshalyn listened to the conversation with eyes hooded, her tongue occasionally flicking out to taste the air. One with lesser experience with her or lesser training might have thought her asleep. Wiser ones knew better. Those eyes saw everything that happened around her and those ears heard everything. She displayed all the patience of a snake, that waited until its prey wandered too close.
    So we stage false attacks as a dragon, put out a call for adventurers to negotiate with the 'dragon', show up in disguise as these adventurers and then kill the dragon. Im not sure I like the part about having adventurers with memories implanted, as I dont know of any spell that can do that, and even if there was, spells can be dispelled. It will just be clear that negotiations went badly and the adventurers killed and looted the dragon, and any that seek vengeance will be off looking for those 'others', not us