New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Concordium

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Concordium

"We also have an ace in the hole. Nobody knows of my involvement with our 'Society'; only with the terrible and mysterious 'Concordium'. I can hunt down scapegoat adventurers and kill meddling dragons without drawing suspicion.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

2. - Top - End - #32

Cluverius

Coughing politely into his fist, Cluverius nods to Eshalyn.

Fortunately for our plans, you are mistaken. I would not have suggested its use had I not possessed the spell in question. To answer your other concern, it cannot be dispelled or tampered with once it is cast. And he pauses and furrows his brow slightly it is nearly impossible that my spell should fail. My life's work has been the magic that bends the mind, after all.

Spoiler
    Show
    The spell in question is Programmed Amnesia. It's a ninth level Enchantment, and I chose it because it's freakin' awesome.

It does allow a save, but Cluverius can force a reroll on the rare occurrence that someone resists the (very high) Will save. That amounts to...3,990 successes out of 4,000 castings unless the target has an absurdly high Will save.
    Last edited by Vox Clamantis; 2009-06-29 at 01:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazarus

Lazarus nodded. And a good thing, too, for it is the one area of magic I have been forced to negelect in my pursuit of... other specialties. I'm sure I could replicate it by some means, but having your expertise on hand makes things much simpler.

So, if we are all agreed with the basic outline of the plan, we need to pick a target. I believe someone mentioned something about a likely candidate nearby? or was that speculation? In either case, if we can decide on a target, I can begin attempting to do a bit of magical reconnaissance. I've got a few spells that should do the trick, and if they don't, I can always nip out to one of the planar metropoli for a little shopping expedition.

4. - Top - End - #34

"Perfect. You can spread rumors and put out the call for heroes while I locate a party of adventurers to implant the memories in."

"Pool, show me the nearest adventuring party capable of slaying an adult dragon."
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

the pool's surface goes murky, and you realize any adventuring party that strong would have an anti scry spell....
    Un-expected spanish inquisition avatar by Half_Halfling

Spoiler
    Show

When people say "life is short". What the h*ll??? Life is the longest d*mn thing anyone ever does!!! What can you do thats longer? - unkown

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." --J. Danforth Quayle

"Sanity is a small price to pay for happiness." --Marabeth Madsen

"I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it." --Unknown

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post
    the pool's surface goes murky, and you realize any adventuring party that strong would have an anti scry spell....
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are a number of them, so the result of the scrying would depend which one they're using.

And seriously, they'd have it on all the time? They're exceptionally paranoid, then.
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2009-06-29 at 03:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

I guess we'll just have to venture out and hunt them down then. Perhaps we post a wanted poster for fighting a berserk golem, or something here at the Alcazar, where we can take them and reprogram them to our advantage, eh? As Daken says this, he glances around to check approval of his plan

8. - Top - End - #38

Azazel speaks up for the first time. "Or perhaps we could travel to a major city and hunt some heroes down. My master can't teleport, so he would at least need a partner to get them back here quickly."

"I'd prefer a proactive solution myself. We don't know how long it would take for adventurers to answer our call. Every day we sit here in the lap of luxury weakens us."

Spoiler
    Show
    Tom never takes off his anti-scrying belt, but then again he is a villainous lich. But hey, their magical protection is obviously working as intended.
    Last edited by Jalor; 2009-06-29 at 04:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazarus

Lazarus grinned, taking another mug of tea from Giles" Really? Because I've lived in luxury for the vast majority of my life, and it never seemed to soften me one whit. he shrugged. ""But in any case, I agree with the sentiment that we need to get moving. I've got teleportation spells prepared, so I can go with you any time you wish."

His grin widened. "And if you want to hunt down heroes, just put your hood up and sit in the dark corner of a convenient tavern. They'll be lining up."

10. - Top - End - #40

"Great, then we go now. I'm going to pack spell components and find a hood that covers my skull. Azazel, tell the guards to prepare the cells and bring the cell keys up to this room. Nobody but the six of us and our familiars are going to touch the keys while we keep prisoners.

"You never say please..." Azazel flies off to deliver the instructions to the guards.

Tom walks away to retrieve some black onyx and a hood.

Spoiler
    Show
    He's going to pack 2500 gp worth of black onyx in his Handy Haversack. Presumably he has a sufficiently shady hood somewhere.
    Last edited by Jalor; 2009-06-29 at 05:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazarus

"Giles, could you-"

"Get one of your gem bags, sir? Black Sapphires, I believe. Shall I also fetch the special writing utensils and parchment?"

"Indeed. Thank you, Giles" said Lazarus, amused. Giles' habit of completing his sentences used to annoy him, but it had ceased to do so once he got used to it. Actually, it was rather convenient, having a servant who did not merely respond to one's request, but anticipate it. During the time when he'd been running the Tower, he'd come to realize just how hard it was to find good help.

His butler reappeared with his usual uncanny speed, handing Lazarus a small bag full of the dark, glittering gems. Most who dealt in souls had to use far more expensive gems than these, but through a long study, Lazarus had found that an inferior gem worked just as well, no matter how powerful the soul - so long as one knew what they were doing. He didn't really expect to need them, but one never knew when an opportunity might come up to... make a deal.

His black robe was already hooded, and his voluminous cape gave him the appropriate air of mystery. His robe was dotted with tiny sigils wrought in silver, and a pair of rings adorned his hands. He waited patiently for Tom to return, and when he did, he would teleport them to the nearest metropolitan center that met their needs.

12. - Top - End - #42

Tom walks back into the room with a matching gray hood pulled over his skeletal face. He lifts it enough to see Lazarus. "I will try to keep my body covered entirely. In case someone attempts a divination on us, I will obscure our alignments."

He casts a spell once on Lazarus and once on himself.

"I just hope I'm not recognized. The last time I was in that city, I burned down the Temple of Pelor and got fourteen guards fired."

Azazel flies in, tosses a key ring onto the table, and perches on Tom's shoulder.

Spoiler
    Show
    The spell was Undetectable Alignment, it lasts 24 hours.
    Last edited by Jalor; 2009-06-29 at 05:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazarus

Lazarus nodded quietly, and, with Giles behind his right shoulder, began to chant.

For a moment, the world was a blur of motion and color. When it resolved itself again, they were standing in a hidden spot just outside the city. He nodded towards the nearby road.

"Shall we?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Greater Teleport.
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2009-06-29 at 06:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

as you begin to enter the city, no one really notices you and most people are either rushing around, or talking to a street vendor. nearby you can see several shops ranging from a tavern to a shop claiming to sell magic items beyond your wildest dreams.

Spoiler
    Show

When people say "life is short". What the h*ll??? Life is the longest d*mn thing anyone ever does!!! What can you do thats longer? - unkown

15. - Top - End - #45

Daken twists one of his rings, causing him to change, almost imperceptibly, but he seems to be a different person entirely, and says "I'm going to go listen to the rumors in town, maybe find an old dragon hunter i could replace at the same time" with this, he jumps out the window.

Spoiler
    Show

Ring of chameleon power is used for disguise self ability, landing ability of armor prevents falling damage,
    style must be used on occasion, though i shouldve saved it for something especially interesting)
    Last edited by Sissyphus; 2009-06-29 at 06:28 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Azazel is invisible and flying several feet overhead. Tom ensures that his hood covers his face entirely.

"How convenient. A tavern right over there. You going to do the talking, or should I?"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazarus

Lazarus smiled in response, walking into the tavern with an air of irrepressible confidence. He was the sort of man who filled up every inch of metaphorical space in the room, and he took full advantage of it.

"I am looking" he said, with as much gravitas as he could muster, For a group of hardy souls to undertake a perilous quest. I must warn you that there are grave dangers involved, but the rewards for the task are as grand as the quest is deadly. I seek only the most potent and experienced of adventurers, for I would not send unprepared men and women to their dooms. Any takers?

Spoiler
    Show

Though nothing he said was an outright lie that could probably still use a Bluff Check - (1d20+26)[40]

18. - Top - End - #48

Cargean turns to Eshalyn, bowing and kissing her hand. "I take my leave, my comrades, as I need to prepare my own call for adventurers, I am hoping to come into the possession of some shocker lizards. They are wonderful little creatures." With that, Cargean uses his wings of flying so he and Zephyr fly up to their bedroom/study in the tower.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cargean is trying to make posters asking for adventurers to capture shocker lizards alive, saying he wishes to study them to find out how to prevent their extinction if it ever happens
    Halfling Monk (Avatar by Miss Nobody)
    Carpal tunnel has subsided, so I'm back hopefully

Spoiler: My games and characters
    Show
    Deralis Legan, the Half-Elf Marshal

Owlbear Hollow Mercenaries the game I'm running

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

the bartender, a rather "large" (around the waist) man walks over to you and says, "if it's that sorta help ye be need'en then I suggest you head over to the magic shop across the way there, and tell the man at the counter Bruno sent ye." he then returns to his bar and begins cleaning a dirty glass with an even dirtier rag.

EDIT: changed text color, that will now be the "random npc" color.
    Last edited by teh_meh; 2009-06-29 at 07:45 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

"I suppose we should. This is an awfully dingy tavern to find heroes-to-be in."

Tom steps out the door.

21. - Top - End - #51

Upon hitting the ground, Daken steps forwards, finds the road, and begins to walk down the street towards the town. Once he reaches the town, Daken hunts down the nearest bar, bartender, can I get some ale? he flicks a silver to the barkeep, are there any Dragon hunters in the area, i'm looking for someone to teach me the ways of dragon hunting.
    Spoiler
    Show

remember, Daken looks to be about 20 years old
    Last edited by Sissyphus; 2009-06-29 at 07:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazarus

After apologizing for his associate's lack of manners, Lazarus followed him out, repeating what was essentially the same speech to the proprietor of the magic shop, after repeating Bruno's name.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

the mage mutters something uninteligable under his breath before sighing and says "fine, follow me" as he walks out from behind the counter and into a back room.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

BardGirl

Alone in the castle for the moment, Eshalyn turns back to the pool.
    Pool, show me the copper dragons again, the ones that you just showed to us.
    When the picture materializes, Eshalyn settles down to study the dragons carefully, getting to know their routine. If the dragons move out of the area they are currently resting in, Eshalyn studies the caves that they move through, getting an idea of how they are set out.

25. - Top - End - #55

"I suppose we should follow him."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

the pool brings up the image of the copper dragons. make a spot check.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazarus

Lazarus nodded in agreement. With Giles following faithfully behind, he headed into the back room.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

as you enter the back room you see 7 people each behind diffrent desks and they all are busy, and don't really notice you. the guy who was behind the counter then turns to you and says "so, what can we do for ya?"

EDIT: @sissyphus. wellllllll then. this is what happens. "well, I'm afriad I don't know anyone in this town in the art of dragon slaying. why this town hasn't seen a dragon in well.... centurys!"
    Last edited by teh_meh; 2009-06-29 at 09:33 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazarus

Lazarus smiled. Put simply, I need a group of experienced adventurers to embark on a dangerous, but potentially very rewarding task. Do you know anyone who would be interested?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

"that'd be us. now this lucrative problem? go on..." he says with a smile

Spoiler
    Show