New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Barbarian advice.

So I'm playing my first barbarian soon, and I'd just like some general tips.
    I'll be playing first level, went with human, 16 STR, 10 DEX, 14 CON, 14 INT, 8 WIS, 12 CHA and that is final, FYI. Just looking for advice, not a new build. Umm... SRD only for feats and such, so no Tome of Battle or nothing like.

Mounted combat seems nice because I can use that, so my raging AC penalty becomes moot.

Anyhoo... yeah, just any tips you have.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-07-05 at 04:13 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Barbarian advice.

Quote Originally Posted by The_JJ View Post
    I'll be playing first level, went with human, 16 STR, 10 DEX, 14 CON, 14 INT, 8 WIS, 12 CHA and that is final, FYI. Just looking for advice, not a new build. Umm... SRD only for feats and such, so no Tome of Battle or nothing like.

Mounted combat seems nice because I can use that, so my raging AC penalty becomes moot.

It'd be a shame to put that int to waste. Combat Expertise and Improved Trip will give you more options in combat. You can pick up Power Attack at third level, your damage won't be all THAT significantly reduced up till then. You won't really become a spiked-chain-wielding battlefield control trip machine, but having the option to knock someone on their ass who desperately deserves it is always nice - plus when you do get Power Attack, it'll let you drop more AB for damage safely.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Wolf Totem Barbarian gives you Improved Trip at level 2, definitely worth using. The Whirling Frenzy variant for Rage is also really nice. Also check out the Lion spiritual totem in Complete Champion, it trades your fast movement for Pounce and is compatible with any of the SRD Barbarian variants that would still get Fast Movement.

Edit: If you want to go with a mounted character, maybe pick up Wild Cohort at level 1 to get a free horse that improves as you gain levels.
    Last edited by Biffoniacus_Furiou; 2009-07-05 at 04:25 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Hmm... I'll have to run those things by my DM bot those are some good ideas. Thank you very much.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Second the Improved Trip recommendation, plus since the SRD is allowed you should get Knockdown. Every time you hit someone and do 10 or more damage (which you will do, regularly) you get a trip attempt.

So you can go:

Level 1: Combat Expertise, Improved Trip
    Level 3: Knockdown

Or, with Wolf Totem Barbarian, you get Improved Trip for free, allowing you to spend your first two feats on other things and get Knockdown at level 3 without any addition feat expenditure.

Note re: Mounted Combat - read the feat carefully. It improves your mount's AC, not your own. Still a good feat, but it won't do anything to negate your poor AC.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Lion totem barbarian variant from complete champion (nets you pounce). Accept no substitute.
    Last edited by Learnedguy; 2009-07-05 at 05:08 AM.
    Totally getting something nice here, when the time is right that is.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say forget about mounted combat, go Wolf Totem Barbarian with the Lion spiritual totem in CC and Whirling Frenzy. Take Power Attack and Extra Rage (CW) at level 1, you get Improved Trip for free at 2, and take Knock-Down at level 3. You should definitely get Leap Attack from Complete Adventurer at level 6, and get some Armbands of Might found in both that book and MIC. Note that as per the errata Leap Attack says, "you deal +100% the normal bonus damage from your use of the Power Attack feat." Note that Armbands of Might grant +2 damage when you Power Attack for at least -2, thus the bonus granted is gained via use of the Power Attack feat and is also increased by Leap Attack. At level 6 you can activate Whirling Frenzy, charge with Leap Attack and Pounce, and attack three times. Power Attack will give you +4 damage per -1 to hit, with an additional +4 damage from the Armbands if you take at least a -2 to hit for it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I would REALLY look at swapping the STR and CON. Other than that, not bad.

I would also second Wolf Totem Barbarian.
    Also if it fits your fluff check out the Berserker Strength (PHBII, though you did say SRd only) and Whirling Frenzy Rage variants (which is in the SRD).

I've done a horseback babarian before and it really only works if you lose the rage and/or have good will saves etc. Raging on horse back has all sorts of issues because you cannot take the skills checks needed. Unless you use whirling Frenzy which involves a lot of moving about and you would probably leap from your horse at some point.

So if you want to keep rage then lose the horse. They don't go well together.
    If you are worried about AC penalties then Whirling Frenzy does not have those either. :)
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

The worthwhile core feats for a Barbarian:
    -Improved Trip
    -Power Attack
    -Combat Reflexes
    -Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain
    -Improved Initiative
    -Leadership
    -Spirited Charge (if you can get a decent mount, such as through Leadership)

With Wolf-Totem giving you Improved Trip, it's pretty simple to fit the rest in. Given you don't have the Dex (I'd strongly consider swapping Int and Dex if you use Wolf-Totem as then you don't need 13 Int to pick Improved Trip), Combat Reflexes can be skipped, but it's definitely a great feat and I'd take Dex just for it.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-07-05 at 06:40 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Steadfast Determination, ASAP. Since you dumped Wis (why?) and have a bad will save progression, you'll need it more than any other feat.
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash
    Steadfast Determination, ASAP. Since you dumped Wis (why?) and have a bad will save progression, you'll need it more than any other feat.
    Steadfast Determination is good, but it requires Endurance, so you really have to ask yourself whether it's worth two feats. Horse Totem Barbarian gives you Endurance as well as Run, which you need for Fleet Of Foot, and can be combined with Pounce.

12. - Top - End - #12

Steadfast Determination would be even better if this wasn't an SRD-only build.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Alright, thanks guys. I think I'll definately go Wolf Totem, and take knockdown. May or may not keep the mounted combat, but it seems that, just setting wise, we'll be spending a lot of time moving around on horseback.

14. - Top - End - #14

Alright, thanks guys. I think I'll definately go Wolf Totem, and take knockdown. May or may not keep the mounted combat, but it seems that, just setting wise, we'll be spending a lot of time moving around on horseback.
    If you take Mounted Combat, you need to take Spirited Charge. That feat is honestly the only reason to take Mounted Combat in the first place, and makes you lethal on horseback. Lances for x3 damage are insane (oh yeah, pack some lances).