New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: [4e] Bio-Chromatic Breath

Quote Originally Posted by Limos View Post
    I gave them a Will defense since I decided that an abundance of Breath would go counter to the normal bonuses from lots of magic.

Usually someone highly magical will have very high Will, and Lower Fortitude. I went the opposite direction.
    That difference comes from choice of class and primary ability score, though, and this kind of magic is more analogous to magic items. Magic items in general have no preference among the defense scores. Also, there's nothing stopping a fighter type with dumped wisdom and charisma from becoming an expert awakener, and such a character with your current modifiers would have defenses far out of whack of where they're supposed to be.

I didn't bother with the last bonus of the Tenth Heightening simply because 4e lost the Verbal/Somatic component thing so there is no benefit mechanically.
    Doesn't mean you can't bring it back partially, giving a failure chance if deafened or something, and maybe improvise rules for gags and such. And speaking aloud should give a heft penalty to stealth checks, though the color aura of high level heightenings makes stealth pretty hard anyway.

I think you are right about the Item/Breath thing. I will make a variety of rituals that mimic the effects of different items but can be used in Awakenings. Guide My Strikes maybe, or Shield My Flesh for an armor bonus.
    Protect Me seems the perfect place to put an enhancement bonus to AC.

Oh, and I did some calculations for breath pricing and edited them into my previous post before I noticed you'd replied.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2009-08-16 at 10:14 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Bio-Chromatic Breath

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Protect Me seems the perfect place to put an enhancement bonus to AC.

Oh, and I did some calculations for breath pricing and edited them into my previous post before I noticed you'd replied.
    The Protect Me Awakening is already doing the job of Repulsion armor I suppose. It makes sense to give it an enhancement bonus that scales with level to put it on par with armor.

I'm definately thinking Guide My Strikes for one that grants an attack/damage bonus. Maybe have a couple varieties that simulate Rending property or somesuch.