New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Terry Pratchett, Author Extrordinaire

With Immortality Class levels... (Greater than Divine, as Gods can be killed! ;D)

My 2 pennies,

Sausage-inna-bun, FTW!

Akio
    Never come between a woman and her Warjacks. - Lesson learned from facing off with Major Victoria Haley against her sister, the War-Wraith Deneghra.

Avatar by The Stoney One, Honorary Knight of Cygnar.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Akiosama, Warcaster of Cygnar
    With Immortality Class levels... (Greater than Divine, as Gods can be killed! ;D)
    Killed? Heck, the Discworld gods lurk on Dunmanifestin coz they can take a kicking from an irate worshipper. You read the bit in "Last Hero" where Nuggen gets his comeuppence? Genius! ;D

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I always loved Susan Sto Helit. The granddaughter of Death...is a teacher.

"You risked your life to help him? You...you...hero!"
    ....Lobsang realized she didn't say it as she would say you star; the way she said it sounded more like you idiot.
    Also second the nods of appreciation to The Watch Series. (It deserves the capitalization.) For a long time at a different message board, my nickname was LadySybil, after Vimes's large, kind, dragon-obsessed wife.

Monstrous Regiment I didn't appreciate as much as some of Pratchett's other works. I don't know how to do spoiler boxes, so I won't be specific. However, some bits of it just seemed....overly metaphysical. Even in books like Thud!, which I thoroughly enjoyed, there is a somewhat more grounded (if you'll pardon the pun) aspect to the magic of the world. It shouldn't make sense, but it still does. MR just seemed overdone to me.
    Last edited by Tadakimacun; 2007-01-13 at 07:15 PM.
    (Psst! "Narlye nat vanya" = "you sexy thing" in Elvish! Use this to your advantage!)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

I really like Corporal Carrot, but beyond even him, ym favorite character is Lord Vetinari. He's just so good at what he does, which is terrorise.

Moist von Lipwig is also rather good, and I'm loogink for ward to his next book.

Don't like Tiffany Aching so much.
    [This signature still in committee.]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Didn't like Our Tiff?????? Well, each to their own..... You've gotta love the Nac Mac Feegle's though bigjob.
    \"Am I FINALLY allowed to kill something? You keep diplomacizing..... I can diplomacize........ With my axe........\"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Speaking as a rabid pratchett fan, he is one of the best authors I've read. I prefer the later books to the earlier ones; but Eric is the only one i'd never want to read again. My favorite is Night Watch, second is Thief of Time and third is probobly Thud!. I only read Good Omens recently, but I really liked that one. Death was worse, though. Incidently, until I updated my signature to have a D&D incident, it had a random pratchett quote in it.
    "Yes, but I've had years of experiance and cynanism. You're just gifted." -Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Love Pratchett specifically:

DEATH
    Lord Vetinari
    Vimes
    Moist Von Lipwig
    I have a paper saying I'm sane.
    Where's yours?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Pratchett is one of the coolest people alive. He is a great author, with great books. I am not worthy to wash his socks.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caillach
    Pratchett is one of the coolest people alive. He is a great author, with great books. I am not worthy to wash his socks.
    I'm not nearly as great as Pratchett. You're welcome to wash my socks.
    Avatar by Sneak - The Midnight Son by Ceika
    No more a lone wolf, The Midnight Son rides again.
    Give thanks ye mortals, for he rides on the wings of an angel.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

I guess I was just asking for that one ::)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vetinari: Like Spock, but with less emotions.

Yeah, I've read several of the books. He is my number 1 favorite author.
    I cannot actually think of anything witty to say here.

Proud owner of a Gorbatar

Important 9-11 information
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Uncle_Doug View Post
    Wizard: "I move the rock with the power of magic!"
    Psionicist: "I move the rock with the power of my mind!"
    Shadowcaster: "I move the rock with the power of Shadow!"
    Truenamer: "Asknsdfksdfhasdjfhsn!" *rolls a 5* "Blast! Not again."

Trophy Case
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Caillach
    I guess I was just asking for that one ::)
    Honey, you were practically on your knees beggin' for that one.

Pratchett is definitely my go to guy for when I need a good crazy escape for an afternoon. Nothing like Weatherwax logic to really put the world in perspective.
    Avatar by Sneak - The Midnight Son by Ceika
    No more a lone wolf, The Midnight Son rides again.
    Give thanks ye mortals, for he rides on the wings of an angel.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'm an absolute Pratchettophile (is that a word?), having read just about, but not quite, everything he's written, most notably every Discworld book up to and including Going Postal, chronologically. What makes Pratchett unique is that he's written a series of 30+ books that starts out strong and improves all the way. Having read them chronologically, I can honestly say that I can hardly remember putting one down without thinking "Wow. That's the best one yet." which is just about the biggest compliment I can give to a series that started with The Colour of Magic. Granted, some are slightly less successful than others, but they're all great

There are too many fabulous characters for me to pick any definitive favorites, but I do adore Vetinary, Magrat, Rincewind and The Luggage, Dibbler, Mustrum Ridcully, Death, Susan, The Grim Squeeker, Moist von Lipwig, the Nac Mac Feegle (Wae Hae!) and just about all the Watchmen.

As for the books, I tend to prefer the recent ones, but Jingo set an absurdly high standard for later books to meet. The amazing thing is that many of them, like Going Postal, did meet, and exceed, that standard. For sheer referential delight, you can't beat Moving Pictures, except maybe with Soul Music. Those books highlight Pratchett's hilarious ability to use the Discworld as a mirror of our world and satirize things that shouldn't fit into a fantasy world (like the internet). Pure, undiluted genius.
    "You know the difference between you and me?"
    "I make this alignment look good."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

I just love the Discworld books, though I haven't read them all yet. I'm reading them all in a some what random order in both my school and town library. This is progressing rather slowly, however, since they don't have all the books and someone keeps borrowing the ones that they do have. (Odd thing to do in a library, I know.)
    At the moment I'm reading, um, lessee...The Truth and The Fifth Elephant.
    I'm also part of the way through The Last Continent, though I broke off at one point to concentrate on reading Night Watch, which so far is my favourite book seeing as its protagonist is my favourite character, Vimes.
    I also quite like Monstrous Regiment (thinking with your socks, heh) and Thief of Time.
    BTW, note my sig
    What\'s the colour of magic? What\'s the colour of magic? Don\'t tell me that you think it\'s green: me, I know it\'s octarine!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

I love Pratchett's work. Thief of Time's number one for me, followed by Hogfather, Night Watch, Interesting Times, Carpe Jugulum, and Fifth Elephant. I love Vimes and Esme, and can't get enough of Rincewind.
    Anyone else bugged by the fact that Esk and her buddy just dissapeared after Equal Rites? I still find myself thinking about that every now and then.
    With that in mind, I saw this on 4Chan the other night...
    {Mild Language Warning, and this may offend Pratchett fans}
    HI, I'M TERRY PRATCHETT, CREATOR AND AUTHOR OF THE DISCWORLD SERIES. IN MY NEXT BOOK, I'LL BE LAMPOONING THE VISITORS, OWNERS, AND CONTENT OF SUCH WEBSITES AS SOMETHING AWFUL, YOU'RE THE MAN NOW DOG, EBAUMS WORLD, AND 4CHAN. I'LL SPIKE THESE LITTLE F**KERS WITH MY PAHLLIC PEN OF WHIMISCAL JUSTICE, DOING TO THEM WHAT MY CAT DID TO MY KEYBOARD. BY THE WAY, DON'T YOU LIKE MY FONT? IT'S HOW DEATH SPEAKS. ANYWAYS, IN THE BOOK, RINCEWIND IS GOING TO HAVE A CHANCE TO DO SOMETHING HEROIC BUT THEN HE'LL DO SOMETHING REALLY STUPID AND PATHETIC INSTEAD AND THEN SOMEONE ELSE WILL SAVE THE DAY IN A WAY ONLY POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF SOMETHING HE UNINTENTIONALLY DID, AND IT WILL REALLY BE IRONIC AND HUMOUROUS, AND THEN THERES GOING TO BE A REFERENCE TO AN OLD POEM WRITTIN IN 800 BC BY SOME OBSCURE BRITISH SHAMAN THAT IRONICALLY IS THE BASIS FOR AN ALT-ROCK SONG THAT YOU'VE PROBABLY LISTENED TO ONCE OR TWICE*. I'LL ALSO MAKE FUNNY REFERENCES TO MEMES SUCH AS C**KMONGLER, BUT IN ROUND-ABOUT WAYS SO THAT ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE READ THE BOOK 50 TIMES CAN UNDERSTAND IT. A THE END, VIMES OR GRANNY WILL SAY SOMETHING DEEP ABOUT HUMAN NATURE, THEN QUOTE A CLINT EASTWOOD MOVIE. AND THEN IT WON'T BE RELEASED IN AMERICA FOR 18 MONTHS. I GUARANTEE IT.

*PROBABLY "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS".
    -I cried, then giggled a little. So did you, admit it.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Nope, can't say I did. Really, there are Authors out there who deserve this a lot more than Pratchett :P

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

It's funny because it's true, especially the last bit. I love Terry Pratchett.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

It didn't offend me, it IS true..

But OMG I love the Discworld series. Unfortunately I've gotten a bit lost and have no idea how many books I've read. Oh well, all of them can take being read more than once.

My favorite character is definetly Death, I sometimes find myself wishing he's really like that.
    Besides him I really like Granny Weatherwax, the Nac Mac Feegle, Vimes, Rincewind and many others.. Oh yeah

*Heads for a book with a big orange elephant on it*

..But I dont get wy people compares Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett so much.. I think there styles are very different
    I made Baron post ..That makes me immortal
    Goddess of dark magic and exploding cheese

19. - Top - End - #79
    Barbarian in the Playground

They certainly are. Adams is a bit sillier; or at least his silliness is open where is you generally have to look for PRatchett to be silly. Adams also tends to make his plots funnier than Pratchett, who relies on realistic characters for his jokes, with the result that most of Pratchett's books could be rewritten tnot to be funny with very little actual change in action or even dialogue at some points.
    Cardinal Ximinez by Mephibosheth
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisqui
    And yes, that is pretty much exactly what she meant. Don Beegles FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
    An appeal to me in this fiendish row - is there? Very well; I heard; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I am not a huge Pratchett fan but my favorites are the wee free men and truckers diggers and wings. Also he is a really nice guy. Trust me I know Ive had dinner with him at a TGI fridays in MN.

Im not kidding...

plz don't kill me
    For those who have read the book; I wish my avatar was blue

GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I also know Gaimon. Been to his house for a Guy fawks party

still plz don't kill me

GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

Also, the writer's name is Gaiman. Gaimon is a character from One Piece.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83

Although I love the man and his amazing work to death, he is sadly afflicted with early onset Alzheimer's. He is seeking treatment, but as of right now, we have no real treatment for Alzheimer's, let alone the truly brutal early onset version.

Also I like him cause he likes Half Life 2.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

whoops sry. Im not very good with speling.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Banned

We've noticed. Just remember, this isn't a chatroom. You have the time to doublecheck your spelling and grammar before you click the "submit" button. And good spelling is a skill like any other; practice doing it properly and it will get much much easier to continue doing so.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

What do people think of Strata? I think it's my favourite book of Pratchett's, despite being much earlier, less funny, SF instead of fantasy, etc.
    With regards to Discworld: Vimes all the way. It's been brilliant watching his character growth since he was first introduced, even though he hasn't changed at all. I don't know how that works...
    I suppose it's the exploration of his character in the context of the changing city.
    On that note, what did people think of Vetinari in Making Money? Suddenly he has a Grand Scheme with his Undertaking, the seeds of which were sewn in The Fifth Elephant and Thud, and might take a few books to play out... I just find it hard to think of him as more than a purely reactionary character in terms of plot, sitting in his office and playing people against each other.
    Some characters of mine: http://lmaorpg.proboards.com/index.c...read=90&page=1

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PanNarrans View Post
    What do people think of Strata? I think it's my favourite book of Pratchett's, despite being much earlier, less funny, SF instead of fantasy, etc.
    Better than early Discworld. Worse than late Discworld.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by churchofbanjo View Post
    Wow, Discworld is the best group of books by him! However, I must say his books never get everything right. if he nails the satirical humor, then he doesn't get the storyline perfect. If he gets the storyline perfect, then he doesn't get the characterization effectively, and on and on and on... (God, I hope he isn't on this site)
    I second this. Furthermore, because he repeats himself a lot, I need to be careful not to read his books back to back, or I will get very tired of him.

Also, I rarely like any attempt of seriousness in his books, this will often be close to the ending. He doesn't do that very often, however, so I am in general very happy with him.

P.S. Also, some of his more vocal fans have at times scared me slightly.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irenaeus View Post
    I second this. Furthermore, because he repeats himself a lot, I need to be careful not to read his books back to back, or I will get very tired of him.

Also, I rarely like any attempt of seriousness in his books, this will often be close to the ending. He doesn't do that very often, however, so I am in general very happy with him.

P.S. Also, some of his more vocal fans have at times scared me slightly.
    I agree. He also doesn't have idea about melee weapons, and when he tries serious fight scenes, they're often awful, when he tries to be serious and philosophical, he usually ends with making everything really messy and weird.
    That's why I prefer early, absurd and not so needlesly elaborated Discworlds.

I could go on with such accusations, but nothing will change the fact that his books, and especially his sense of humour, is amazing.

It's a shame that he has Alzheimer
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I have all the Discworld books, a few of them are signed. I love PTerry and his works. For those entering Discworld I often recoment The Truth of all things. worked so far. As for characters most of the big names have been mentioned but there are some background characters who need more love.

Reg Shoe. Cool as ice and twice as dead. A brilliant character.
    LuTze. One dangerous monk. The Abbot also amuses.
    Harry King. A man to be admired upwind.

I also really quite like Agnes but perhaps my favourite character ever is Mightily Oats, because the development he gets is amazing.
    GNU Terry Pratchett