New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Re: Shipwrecked 1752

Lionel Mandrake

The Captain stared up at the cliff top through the rain, seeing nothing. He glanced over at Kayode. A lot of the other captains had thought him a fool for taking on an African, but Kayode had proven his worth several times over. "I don't see him, Kayode, but I've learned to trust your eyes. However, we've got more pressing concerns - shelter, food, and fire. See what you can do about those. I want to check the tide."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Lord McDonnell

Turning to the young woman, the hunter nods and says,

I would be happy to be of assistance.

Then he turns back to the doctor and excuses himself while he goes and helps the young woman with the fire.

Using his tomahawk he chops out a small notch out of the drift wood, then he lays that piece aside. He takes another small piece of wood and chops it down the center with his tomahawk, splitting it in half. He then uses the ‘Hawk to shred the (hopefully) dry interior of the driftwood into a stringy mat of dry wood, the rolls that into a fire bundle.

The hunter then takes the fire bundle and sets it in the dry hole Annabelle made. He places the notched drift and places it over the hole. Looking around he grabs the one shorter end of the broken oar and chops the splintered end down to about an inch wide. Then he places it over the hole and beings spinning it with his hands.

After a few minutes of hard work Robert stops and turns to Annabelle.
    This might take a while, and we need to get out of this rain. In fact we should probably get off this beach and find better shelter before we try to make a fire.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2009-08-10 at 01:46 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

Lord McDonnell

Lord McDonnell thinks he can make a fire with what you have, but it'll take some time. Looking up to the sky, he realizes that time is a luxury you don't have. The clouds' movement and how the seagulls behave suggest that it's going to start raining harder in about 30 to 45 minutes.

Kayode

There's no answer. Perhaps Kayode scared the boy off.

Will

Will Plunkett began to stir. "What the..." His pistol still in his hand, he gets up and wipes his face with his sleeve. "Where are we?"

OOC: Not sure if Walkabout is still going to join us (in a PM he said he would) I'll NPC Will meanwhile. Lucky me, I get the meanest lad in the bunch to use as an NPC.

4. - Top - End - #34

Kayode

Aye Captain, but we should be careful if there are natives on this land...

Kayode paused as he thought back upon his own experience with distant strangers uprooting his way of life.

...We should be careful not to disturb them if they wish to be left alone.

With that, Kayode looked across the beach for poles to make spears. Tree branches, pieces of the ship, anything that would suffice as a spearshaft. He was planning on providing food for the night.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Lord Robert McDonnell

Taking a quick rest with his attempt to build a fire, the hunter glances up at the sky and frowns. He calls out the captain before turning back to his work.

Captain! I suggest we find shelter before the weather picks up.

6. - Top - End - #36

Kayode finds some pieces of the ship and lifeboat that can be made into spear shafts. You need a knife or similar tool, and some time, of course.

The birds circling overhead seem very agitated, screeching louder.

7. - Top - End - #37

Kayode

Having found some workable spear shafts, Kayode gathers a small amount of rope and takes out his knife.

First he spends most of his time working the shafts of wood into something manageable, then he notches a single end of each shaft. Placing the spearheads into the notches, he secures the head in place with the rope.

These will have to last a while until I can find more suitable material to make more spearheads.

Kayode looks up into the sky.

And it seems we are not the only ones in search of food...

Spoiler
    Show

Depending on how much time we have before it rains and whether or not there are any distractions, Kayode will go spear fishing when he is finished crafting the spears.

Inventory update:
    1 spear, 4 spearheads, a knife, and a family heirloom
    Last edited by Feirgon; 2009-08-11 at 08:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Michael

Having buried the sailors, Michael says a quick pray for their souls. Having done that, he heads to where the rescued "supplies" are. Noticing the bag of coins, he opens it up and looks at them.

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming we had time to bury the sailors, of course. If we didn't, let me know and I'll edit the post.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

9. - Top - End - #39

Kayode

Kayode finishes crafting the first spear. It looks like Lord McDonnell was right about the weather and it's going to rain a lot soon, and fishing in a heavy rain will be difficult. Kayode figures that maybe he should craft the rest of the spears later and try to get some fish now.

Michael

Michael and those assisting him hastily bury the bodies (there are five of them, which I probably forgot to mention). The grave isn't as deep as he had hoped, but piling some loose rocks on the shallow grave will help keep scavengers away. Perhaps you can return later and arrange a proper burial.

Meanwhile, Will Plunkett cleans his flintlock pistol and reloads it. "Aye, that's better." Smiling, he turns to the Captain and says: "I'm ready. What's the plan?"

10. - Top - End - #40

Captain Mandrake

"I quite concur, Lord Robert," he shouts down the beach toward the nobleman. "But I've seen little to give me hope of finding any. I'll head up the beach, if you would be so kind as to head down. Perhaps we can find a sea cave, or an overhanging rock, that would give us some shelter.

"Ah, Mr. Plunkett. Glad you're still with us. Kayode claims to have seen a native, which your pistol may deter. Perhaps you can assist Miss Richmond with finding whatever we can in the way of dry wood, for a fire?"

Kayode, seeking food. Myself and Lord Robert seeking shelter. Miss Richmond and Mr. Plunkett assembling fire. The three things we will need . . . . and water. Fresh water. Where will we find that around here?

"Actually, Mr. Plunkett, a different thought. Pray find any vessel that can still hold water and place it out in the rain, above the tide line. We'll need fresh water soon enough. It may come cascading from the cliff, so look for waterfalls as well."

11. - Top - End - #41

Kayode

He finished his first spear and looked again at the clouds. By their menacing look he knew he would not have enough time to finish the other four and find food. So he left the shafts with the others and headed into the water. He then removed his shirt and made a makeshift satchel for what ever he ended up catching.

I only have one, I must be careful not to break it.

Kayode eyed the water carefully, it was much easier to spot the fish without the sun reflecting against the surface. Though he hoped to catch fish, anything that moved would suffice including crabs if the others succeded in starting a fire.

He was also careful to watch his step, a sharp rock could be deadly given the current circumstances.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Lord Robert McDonnell

His hands burning from his attempt to start a fire, Lord McDonnell gladly stops and puts away the fire starting kit. Trying to shake the pain out of his hands, he stands up to his impressive height and says to Annabelle.
    Well Miss, I’m off to find shelter, try to keep this as dry as you can, wet wood doesn’t work well for starting fires

With that he heads off “down” the beach. Watching for a cave or an easy way up the steep cliff face.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Michael

Putting the bag of coins in his bag, Michael looks around.

I've got the silver for now. Let me know if you need them.

*pausing*

Right. We've done all we can for those poor lads. Now we need to take care of ourselves. I see we've got people working on food and shelter.

I suggest we use the blanket to carry any food we catch. Either that, or we'll need to use one of our jackets.

Michael looks out into the water to see if any useful items can be seen floating.

Did we comb the beach up and down? There may by useful items there as well.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

Annabelle

“Well, lovely.” Annabelle mumbles to herself, watching Lord McDonnell leave. “Now what?” She looks down at the sad attempt at a fire, and around at the others quickly heading off in different directions.

There was the African man, who looked like he was trying to spear some fish. Some food would be nice right now, but not unless she could get this blasted fire to light. Lord McDonnell and Captain Mandrake seemed to be off searching for shelter. Good luck to them, but it seemed pretty clear to her that the only way they were getting off this beach was by swimming, unless someone was going to try and climb up the cliff side. The doctor was finishing up with the dead, and seemed to be looking through the supplies. There was nothing there of much use for keeping the survivors safe or dry, unfortunately. The last man to wake, (maybe a sailor?) was nearby, but not doing much other then cleaning his gun. The captain had told him to get some fresh water. There would be plenty of that falling soon enough, just in time to ruin her little fire pit.

Making a couple feeble attempts at lighting the fire by striking a pair of rocks together, Annabelle gives up, with no shortage of sand kicking and frustration. As the fire wasn’t happening, Annabelle decides just to scoop up the firewood and carry it. She quickly sandwiched all the smaller bits Robert and she had made between two of the larger planks, and then left it until which point the group decided where they were going.

Walking over to the doctor and the pistol cleaning sailor, Annabelle speaks to Michael. “So, do you think we’ll have to swim to get off this beach? Not that I want to, but if we do, I’d rather do so now before the wind picks up. I’d rather not be swept out to sea by the waves, you understand” Looking wholly dejected by the idea of swimming off the beach, Annabelle sits down and stairs out to see, a lump forming in her throat from the hopelessness of the situation.
    Last edited by Organozinc; 2009-08-11 at 03:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Michael

Swim to where, Miss? Without knowing where we're at, it would be suicide.

*looking around*

No, on the beach is better, I suppose. I would recommend you warm yourself by the fire as much as you can. We can save the wood, but I don't have much in the way of supplies to treat sickness.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

Annabelle

“I meant swim around the island, of course,” Annabelle replied to Michael. “but if you think we should wait here, then I guess we should. As for warming ourselves by the fire, that won’t happen unless somebody can get the darn thing lit, and seeing as there’s rain coming, it won’t last long even then”.

17. - Top - End - #47

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Organozinc, I think the fire is going...at least that is the impression I get from everyone but you. Perhaps we need clarification...

18. - Top - End - #48

Will Plunkett nods and starts looking for any suitable vessels to collect rainwater in. He looks at the bottle of rum and shakes his head. "Uh no, I'm gonna empty you later." He takes the half full waterskin and fills it up with water trickling down the cliff face.

Kayode

Kayode manages to catch a fish that weighs about 5 pounds.

Michael

The coins look like regular English silver coins.

As agreed, Michael tries to find a cave, an easy way up the cliff or something else that could be useful. Robert does the same, walking to the opposite direction.

Both men find a number of places where it would be somewhat easier to climb up (more handholds, less precipitous slopes). They find no caves but there are a number of protrusions that offer some shelter from the rain.

The beach is about 300 yards long and about 100 feet wide at the widest point, getting narrower towards each end, where the cliff meets the sea.

EDIT: Robert is skilled enough to start a fire, but if it rains heavily, it won't do you any good unless you also have some shelter from the rain. I think Robert quit trying and went to explore the beach and cliff.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2009-08-11 at 04:30 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Kayode

Having caught a reasonable sized fish before the rains started, Kayode heads back to the campfire.

I hope I can get this cooked before the rain comes down. He says, thinking aloud.

Finding a flat rock, he takes out his knife. He beheads the fish and removes the spine, bones, and organs as best he can. He then takes the fish on the flat rock and places it next to the fire.

20. - Top - End - #50

Captain Mandrake

The Captain shouted down the beach, in a voice that once carried over storms. "Everyone please gather 'round." He waited for the castaways to join him.

"Gentleman, Miss Richmond. We face a series of unpleasant choices. This storm is getting worse, this beach may not be safe, 'tho I expect we could hold here. However, we need shelter, and there's damn little - forgive me, Miss Richmond - to be found down here. There seem to be some scrambles to the top of the cliff, and I suggest we try. Kayode will lead the way with the longest rope we have, tie it off at the top securely. Then, we will assist Miss Richmond to the top. The Doctor will go next, to guard Miss Richmond while Kayode searches for shelter. The rest of us will ascend, carrying as much as we can."

He does not wait for comment. "Go on, Kayode. Get what rope we have and make your way up there."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Michael

Very well Captain. I would recommend taking as much salvage as we can, since we can't guarantee we'll be back for it, or that it will be here if we do.

*gathering whatever small objects can fit into his bag, Michael notices the purse. After a moment of thought, he pulls out one coin for each of the surviving castaways and tosses them into the ocean*

Just something to pay the sea back for our lives. I don't argue with the Bible.

22. - Top - End - #52

Kayode

Kayode cooks the fish. Due to the circumstances, it's not going to be a delicious meal, but hey, it's better than nothing.

Michael

Will Plunkett is shocked by Michael tossing the six silver coins into the ocean. "Hey! What the ---" Brandishing his pistol at the sky he says "If Our Lord Above liked us, we would not be here, now would we? Besides, I... we're going to need money later. So if they weigh too much for you to carry, just give them to me."

The six castaways gather everything that looks like it could be useful later. Michael and Robert show Kayode a few places where it might be easier to climb up the cliff. Kayode may be the strongest of the six and his skills with ropes may come in handy, but nonetheless, it's going to be a tough climb.

Proceed?

OOC: Each character gains one luck point.

OOC: And since you insist the fire has been started, so be it. No big deal. ^_^

OOC: Oh, and check out the OOC thread as well! See my signature.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2009-08-12 at 07:58 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Michael

*looking at Will with an odd expression- pity perhaps?*

You've obviously never heard of Job then, have you?

*tossing the coin purse to Will after taking out one more coin*

Here. If it gives you comfort, take it.

*At that, Michael picks up his gear and heads towards the cliff.*

24. - Top - End - #54

"Job..?" Will says with an amused expression, catching the bag Michael tossed to him. "Who needs one if you got a bag of silver coins?"

Looking happy now, Will also heads towards the cliff.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Michael

*sighing*

Not a job, Job. As in the book of Job.

As it says in Mark, "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

26. - Top - End - #56

Kayode

Kayode eyes the proposed path carefully. Rope work was one thing, but rock climbing was another; though they did overlap. He tied his spear to back and slung the better portion of the rope over his shoulder. Once more he looked up the cliff face.

The Child! What if those footprints were indeed his?

Suddenly Kayode dropped the bundle of rope.

Captain give me just a moment. There is something I must check!

There was a level of excitement in his voice.

Kayode rushed over to the portion of the beach where he had spotted the footprints and followed their path toward the cliff. Hopefully he would find an easier path up the cliff...
    Last edited by Feirgon; 2009-08-12 at 03:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Annabelle

Annabelle listens to the captain's plan with some apprehension. She wasn't exactly build for rock climbing, as it were. The situation being as it was, however, called for, as he had put it, "unpleasant choices". She also didn't like being deferred to like the lame horse of the group, but seeing as it would probably be necessarily, she let it go without comment.

Watching the exchange between Dr. Daidh and the man the captain had referred to as Mr. Plunkett, Annabelle speaks up. "While I respect that you're giving back to the good lord for keeping us save during this trying time, you might want to think twice before you discard what little we have. We may end up meeting people somewhere on this island, and it would be well to have something to barter with if we do. My soul may one day pass through heaven's gates, but I'd like to keep it down here as long as possible, all the same."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Michael

*shaking his head*

Miss, unless I'm sadly mistaken, the only inhabitants of this island we may encounter won't have a use for money.

29. - Top - End - #59

Annabelle & Michael

Will nods approvingly at Annabelle. "I'm planning to get out of here alive. The money will be useful sooner of later."

Kayode

Kayode notices that the rain and wind have eroded the prints somewhat, and the ground closer to the cliff is harder and thus any prints are harder to notice. However, it is very probable that the child that left the footprints had emerged from the sea and walked straight towards the cliff. Walking straight towards the cliff, Kayode notices that this portion of the cliff does indeed have more hand and footholds available than the places he checked out earlier.

30. - Top - End - #60

Kayode

Kayode heads back to the group to inform him of the better climbing spot. After they reassemble, he once again prepares to climb up.

I will make haste, but let no one climb up until I reach the top and secure the rope.

With that, Kayode made the sign of the cross, kissed his heirloom, and climbed the cliff.